Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

Repeal: "Clean Prostitute Act"
Category: Repeal | GA #179
Proposed by: Thousand Branches | Onsite Topic
Replacement: Regulating the Sex Industry

General Assembly Resolution #179 “Clean Prostitute Act” (Category: Free Trade; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Acknowledging the intentions of GAR#179 to insert itself as the be all, end all of legislation on prostitution;

Respecting the resolution’s neutral stance on the legality of prostitution in any given member nation;

Asserting however, that GAR#179 is a simplistic and antiquated resolution that does not provide almost any information, legislation, or protection on the subject of sex work for those nations where it might be legalized;

Observing that GAR#179 does not introduce any sort of definitions or foundational information on prostitution or sex work, thus rendering itself less credible as a General Assembly Resolution;

Recognizing the resolution’s flawed approach in limiting itself to only prostitution, thereby neglecting a good portion of the sex industry that faces the same problems;

Dispirited with the resolution’s lack of any kind of protection for prostitutes or other sex workers against sexual, physical, or psychological violence;

Confused by the resolution’s naive, ineffectual, and very over-simplified solution for limiting the spread of sexually transmitted infection through sex work, placing all responsibility for STI testing and regulation on the sex workers themselves and providing them no protection against clients or other participants in sex work that may transfer an STI to that sex worker;

Certain that the GAR#179 serves only to marginalize sex work and the sizable discrimination sex workers face on a daily basis;

Seeking to provide the General Assembly with a more adequate resolution on an important and sensitive subject;

Hereby repeals GAR#179.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent
"Repeal: 'Clean Prostitute Act'" has failed 6,962 votes (44.1%) to 8,818 (55.9%).

Last edited:
IFV

Overview
This proposal seeks to repeal GAR#179: "Clean Prostitute Act" on the grounds that it is antiquated, places an undue burden on prostitution, fails to effectively regulate other kinds of sex work, and generally fails to adequately protect sex workers.

Recommendation
The first, and most fatal flaw, with this proposal is something we believe to approach an honest mistake. In the target, unlike what is claimed in the proposal, the burden of testing for STIs is not placed on sex workers--it is ambiguous who is charged with ensuring STI testing takes place. Second, however, is the notion that this proposal is in some way "antiquated". We agree with the notion that this proposal fails to adequately protect prostitutes and other sex workers. However, the target focuses on a very narrow range of sex-based occupations and it was probably a result of consensus-building that the proposal is curt as opposed to a willful omission. Put simply, this proposal assumes too much of the target--dangerously overextending itself in pursuit of a repeal hook that isn't needed for the author's goals.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the General Assembly Resolution at vote, "Repeal: 'Clean Prostitute Act'".

Our Voting Recommendation Dispatch--Please Upvote!

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the "confusion" clause and if the author went more on that angle of the onus being on sex workers rather than member states to do stuff, this would be a vastly improved resolution (and potentially one I could support). However, they went for the whole inadequacy notion on protections for the safety of sex workers which may be fair? I don't believe it was the author's intention to do something grand and sweeping just based on their preamble clauses. Lastly, the notion of this resolution, now having read the target, being discriminatory is, frankly, risible. It's a laughably bad notion.

Against [Non-WA].

Last edited:
Having read through both the target resolution and proposed repeal, and taking into account the nature of each proposal, after great consideration, the official response of NBU is as follows:

Hurb.

(Not TL But DR Anyway: Against.)

Against, though I dislike the name of the target resolution.

This proposal has achieved the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being withdrawn or marked illegal it will proceed to a vote at Major Update on Wednesday, December 1.

Strongly FOR. I hope there is a replacement that protects the rights of sex workers, if not I might even draft it myself for once since I actually feel strongly about this issue. (I am in favour of completely legalize and protect all forms of sex work).

The title of the resolution is plainly horrendous.

Also if a sex worker is HIV positive and fully discloses that fact, taking a client that is also HIV positive should not in itself necessarily be prohibited.

Last edited:
Against.
When addressed to the Comrades' Assembly they found it adequate as a baseline legislation to improve the overall situation of Sex Workers in foreign nations.

"Repeal: 'Clean Prostitute Act'" has failed 6,962 votes (44.1%) to 8,818 (55.9%).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back