TNP Nation
Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

Protection of Apostates
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Daarwyrth | Co-authored by: Bears Armed Mission | Onsite Topic

Cognizant of its commitment to grant all inhabitants of member nations the right to practice their religion freely and in peace, and in a manner that is in agreement with their conscience, and their religion's teachings; yet

Equally committed to ensuring that the safety and wellbeing of apostates are secured, and similarly protected by the wings of World Assembly law;

The General Assembly hereby:

1. Defines for the purposes of this resolution:
    • 'apostate' as any natural person who has formally renounced their religion and/or religious beliefs; and
    • 'apostasy' as the act of a natural person freely and consciously, formally renouncing their religion and/or religious beliefs; and
    • 'religious leadership' as any individual, group or entity that has a leadership function within a religion, religious institution, or any other organised belief-system;
  2. Requires that member states treat apostasy as a legal act within their national jurisdictions;
  3. Acknowledges the right of apostates and people considering apostasy not to be subjected to any form of punishment, reprisal, persecution, or humiliation, as a result of their apostasy or their contemplation of this change, whether by religious leaderships or by individual or grouped members of a religion or organised belief-system, beyond those forms of treatment that would also be legal if carried out for reasons other than religiously-motivated ones;
  4. Clarifies that, as far as earlier General Assembly resolutions that are presently in force allow, religious institutions are still allowed to bar apostates from employment in their service in roles for which faith can reasonably be considered relevant, such as priesthood or teaching about religious matters, and from access to their places of worship (except as necessary for the proper performance of legitimate tasks such as by emergency services, official safety inspectorates, or armed forces, and except for any parts of those premises that are being used at the time for significant secular purposes, for example as polling stations or as emergency shelters) or participation in their religious & church-organised social activities;
  5. Decrees that the process of apostasy must not be unduly restricted, or obstructed by onerous bureaucracy, or force individuals to pass through discouraging or humiliating practices in order to enact it;
  6. Mandates that member nations recognise the right of apostates, and individuals contemplating apostasy, to keep the reasoning behind their decision to commit apostasy private;
  7. Clarifies that religious leaderships, or individual members of a religion or organised belief-system, are permitted to attempt to convince those contemplating apostasy, or apostates themselves, to remain faithful through reasonable conversation and debate;
  8. Specifies that a refusal to partake in a conversation or debate as per Clause 7, by either an apostate, or an individual contemplating apostasy, shall not have any consequences to the detriment of that apostate or individual;
  9. Requires that member states enforce the articles of this resolution in a manner that entices compliance, or that inspires deterrence regarding non-compliance with the content of this legislation.

Co-authored with Bears Armed Mission.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD]For[/TD][TD]Against[/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]10[/TD][TD]3[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]1[/TD][/TR]

”Protection of Apostates” has passed 10,819 (79.5%) votes to 2,681 (20.5%).

Last edited:
IFV

Overview
This proposal seeks to protect those who renounce their religions from retaliation, and to ensure those who wish to renounce their religions are not prevented from doing so.

Recommendation
This proposal would serve as a fine addition to the WA's existing body of law protecting personal freedom by protecting apostates from persecution in the name of religion. At the same time, the proposal's provisions are tempered by reasonable exceptions, such as allowing religious institutions to bar apostates from employment in relevant faith-based positions and permitting reasonable conversation to convince members of religions to remain faithful.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Protection of Apostates".

Last edited:
Against.

;.;
I forgot to put it before I posted! Ordinarily it would be second, but I was more preoccupied with putting it in the HQ and moving it to where everyone could see it first.

I’d love to hear what the Againsts have to say on this one, this is fine from a policy and a writing standpoint. I could definitely be swayed, but For [non-WA] in the interim.

Should this be changed to Approaching Quorum? It has 46 approvals with 2.5 days to go
They’re interchangeable. I was sort of doing this on a time crunch the other day, but it’s fine as is. Will update once it makes quorum.

I’d love to hear what the Againsts have to say on this one, this is fine from a policy and a writing standpoint. I could definitely be swayed, but For [non-WA] in the interim.
I am quite curious myself. If protections are granted for people to be able to have a faith, to practice their religion without fear of persecution or reprisal, the same should apply to the ability to renounce one's faith. Apostasy - namely the act of renouncing one's faith - needs to be protected, as apostates can fall victim to retribution, punishment or reprisal from religious communities for simply choosing not to be a part of that faith anymore by renouncing it. That needs to be prevented, and this proposal ensures that people will be able to renounce their faith without fear, just as religious people get to practice their faith without fear.

Last edited by a moderator:
This proposal has reached quorum, and is now in the queue. It will be voted on during Thursday's Major Update
You have the day of the correct, but could be worded a bit better, but thanks for noting that it has reached quorum!

Proposals take the floor for voting for four days, so given the ~1 1/2 remaining on Waflo’s “Safety Regulations in Trade Canals”, 4 days for “End Conversion Therapy”, and 4 days for “Convention on Guest Workers”, it will instead take the floor at Major Update on Thursday, July 1.

Last edited:
For.
The pockets of Elites in a Religious Institution shall not be the one who judges citizenry on their desire to revoke beliefs. Leave that task for their alleged god(s).

Against, if only that I feel this is very important and a better worded and stronger proposal would be better

Against, if only that I feel this is very important and a better worded and stronger proposal would be better
Could you specify which elements you believe are not worded well enough, or aren't strong enough? I'm asking to know what mistakes to avoid in future proposal writing :)

FOR (non-Wa) TRR

I encourage everyone to vote, as it is important for peoples to have the right to get their own individual beliefs, and the resolution does just that, by protecting right of people who leave their religious organizations.

Last edited:
”Protection of Apostates” has passed 10,819 (79.5%) votes to 2,681 (20.5%).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back