Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

Protecting Imprisoned Youths
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Jedinsto | Onsite Topic
The World Assembly,

Noting past efforts to improve conditions experienced by prisoners,

Noting the prevalent violence and intimidation within prisons often targeted at those younger or smaller than the aggressor,

Further noting that imprisoned youths often face extreme neglect and mistreatment,

Hereby;
  1. Defines an imprisoned youth as a person below the age of majority held in confinement because of the suspicion of a crime or conviction of a crime,
  2. Bans the holding of imprisoned youths with imprisoned adults for any purpose unless informed consent is given by all legal guardians of the minor, without any form of coercion, for them to meet with one or more imprisoned adults for a short period in a manner heavily supervised by prison staff,
  3. Requires that all imprisoned youths;
    1. are provided access to education, health, and social services equivalent to that of a youth not imprisoned,
    2. are afforded access to legal counsel equivalent to that of imprisoned adults,
  4. Urges member states to provide alternatives to imprisonment for youth criminals or to improve the facilities in which imprisoned youths are held.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD]For[/TD][TD] Against [/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]15[/TD][TD]1[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]0[/TD][/TR]

Protecting Imprisoned Youths was passed 12,109 (83.6%) to 2,369 (16.4%).

Last edited:
IFV - For - Please upvote!

Overview
"Protecting Imprisoned Youths" seeks to provide basic rights and services for imprisoned children.

Recommendation
This proposal is short and simple, effectively legislating on a clear niche. While mandating that imprisoned youths receive certain important services equivalent to that of less vulnerable parties may not be a particularly profound area of legislation, it is nevertheless an important one.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For[\b] the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Protecting Imprisoned Youths".

Last edited by a moderator:
This proposal has achieved the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being withdrawn or marked illegal, it will go to a vote at next Monday’s Major Update.

Author alert- Feel free to privately contact me with any questions, I am here for anybody unsure on how to vote.

For. Seems mostly harmless. I actually think point (4) is going a bit too far but I recognize that this is about kids that may not understand what they (were) doing.

Against [non-WA].

Let's view this in the context of other GA resolutions. GA #299 allows nations to set different ages of majority for different areas of law. This means that the nation is free to set a lower age of majority for criminal law than other things. While these ages of majority are supposed to be "reasonable", that isn't the point. We shouldn't allow people who don't have full rights and privileges as adults to be tried and sentenced as adults. The resolution is well-intentioned but it does not achieve this.

If this makes you think that GA#299 may have to be repealed before a resolution on this topic can be passed, I am not sure, but it is possible.

WA member of The Rejected Realms. (outsider) (non-wa in the TNP)

I believe the goals of the resolution, to give a 2nd to youth who commit a crime is a noble goal and our government support this.
FOR

Last edited:
Protecting Imprisoned Youths was passed 12,109 (83.6%) to 2,369 (16.4%).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back