TNP Nation
Llewellyn Dragons
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

Protecting Convicted Voters
Category: Furtherment of Democracy | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Tinhampton, Co-Authored by: CoraSpia | Onsite Topic

Believing that those member states which choose to hold democratic elections should refrain from making any person ineligible to take part in those elections simply due to their circumstances, the General Assembly hereby:

1. requires members to ensure that no person within their jurisdiction is prevented (or otherwise unduly restricted) from voting in a election for public office simply because they currently are being, or have previously been, punished for a crime,
  2. further requires prisons in member states to protect their prisoners from being pressured to vote for or against any candidate or slate of candidates, or to refrain from voting, by any entity in all elections for public office,
  3. mandates that those members which choose to hold elections for public office, but require those voting at said elections to be physically present at a polling station in order to vote, provide adequate polling stations at prisons as to allow all eligible prisoners to vote, and
  4. clarifies that Article a does not mandate that elections for public office be organised in any member state.
Co-authored with CoraSpia.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD]Against[/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]1[/TD][TD]13[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]1[/TD][/TR]

Last edited:
As of 9:02 PM EST, this proposal has achieved the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being marked illegal or withdrawn, this proposal will advance to the floor at next Saturday (5/9)'s Major Update.

[Congrats to Tinhampton for eventually getting the first proposal to the floor of the next Delegate's term.]

Last edited:
veri nice ortografhi

Against.
Thanks, LOL.

As of 9:02 PM EST, this proposal has achieved the necessary approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being marked illegal or withdrawn, this proposal will advance to the floor at next Saturday (5/9)'s Major Update.

[Congrats to Tinhampton for eventually getting the first proposal to the floor of the next Delegate's term.]
Thanks, LOL... again. I think we'll have to wait a few weeks for that to happen, technically :P

1 is circumventable if the removal of voting rights is itself the punishment and not the result of one. 2 prevents campaigning to prison inmates, which I don't see a reason to ban. 3 mandates that the polling stations be physically at prisons even if a nearby polling station would suffice.

Against.

1 is circumventable if the removal of voting rights is itself the punishment and not the result of one.
You cannot be banned from voting because you have been punished for a crime
Imprisonment is punishment for a crime, therefore you cannot be banned from voting because you have been imprisoned
If disenfranchisement is punishment for a crime, then you cannot be banned from voting because you have been disenfranchised
Since disenfranchisement entails your being banned from voting, therefore Article a does not allow for disenfranchisement as a punishment :P

2 prevents campaigning to prison inmates, which I don't see a reason to ban.
What reasonable interpretation of the requirement that prisons "protect their prisoners from being pressured to vote" any particular way in an election would include leafleting under being "pressur[is]ed?"

3 mandates that the polling stations be physically at prisons even if a nearby polling station would suffice.
My intention here is access to voting.

Standing on things, huh? :P

You cannot be banned from voting because you have been punished for a crime
Imprisonment is punishment for a crime, therefore you cannot be banned from voting because you have been imprisoned
If disenfranchisement is punishment for a crime, then you cannot be banned from voting because you have been disenfranchised
Since disenfranchisement entails your being banned from voting, therefore Article a does not allow for disenfranchisement as a punishment :P
Why didn't I get a notification that you quoted me? This is weird.

Regarding your reasoning, it's a wording problem. You're not being banned from voting because you've been disenfranchised; the voting ban is disenfranchisement. Nations will exploit this- it's a completely reasonable interpretation to only apply this to voting as a consequence of another conviction.

What reasonable interpretation of the requirement that prisons "protect their prisoners from being pressured to vote" any particular way in an election would include leafleting under being "pressur[is]ed?"
What if these leaflets describe all the wonderful things [candidate] will do for prisoners across the country and how you'd be a fool to not vote for her? The fact that we can even discuss this is itself an issue. The wording of the clause is sufficiently ambiguous that it leaves a huge grey area in what constitutes pressure to vote. This'll likely cause campaigns to avoid prisons like the plague simply to avoid running afoul of the WA, even if the clause somehow doesn't ban all campaigning to prisoners.

My intention here is access to voting.
You definitely have good intentions, but good intentions don't nullify wording issues.

Standing on things, huh? :P
Yep! I see your signature- you can change your forum title in your settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back