Westinor
Discord
Westinor#2315
ga.jpg

Repeal "Ban On Sterilisation Of Minors Etc"
Category: Repeal | GA #472
Proposed by: Gorundu | Onsite Topic
Replacement: None​

General Assembly Resolution #472 “Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc” (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Recognising the efforts made in GA #472, Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc to prevent unnecessary sterilisation of minors;

Asserting that the purpose of independent review can be achieved with individual qualified medical professionals;

Concerned that Institutional Review Boards, as defined by GA#111, are bureaucratic institutions that are not required to be staffed with medical experts and thus serve no real purpose, except wasting the state's resources in setting up and maintaining such institutions;

Worried that requiring the permission of an Independent Review Board could unnecessarily prolong decision making in an emergency or in time-sensitive cases;

Further alarmed that clause two allows the World Assembly Compliance Commission (WACC) to create further regulations on behalf of the World Assembly, without needing to consult the will of the combined member nations;

Convinced that this Assembly should not pass legislation that empowers committees to create secondary legislation, as there is little supervision, if at all, over the actions these committees make;

Confident that regulations to ensure the proper review procedures for the sterilisation of minors can be instituted by further legislation without reducing the relevancy of member nations in the decisions concerning their own future;

Hereby repeals GA#472 "Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc".
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD] Against [/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]19[/TD][TD]4[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]0[/TD][/TR]

Repeal "Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc" was passed 11,044 votes to 3,487 (76.0% support).

Last edited:
IFV - For

Overview
This General Assembly proposal aims to repeal GA #472 "Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc" on the grounds that its measures are both unnecessary and poorly executed. The target resolution mandates that no incompetent person or person below the age of majority be sterilized unless such sterilization is deemed necessary for their long-term health by "an independent Institutional Review Board." The target also empowers the World Assembly Compliance Commission (WACC) to "make regulations to clarify upon and enforce this resolution." This repeal argues that the use of independent Institutional Review Boards is problematic, since said boards are not technically required to be staffed by medical experts, and are not truly necessary in the first place to make these sorts of decisions. The second major argument made by this repeal is that the target resolution allows the WACC to create secondary legislation with little oversight.

Recommendation
This repeal hinges on three main points: The WACC being empowered to create sub-legislation with little oversight or requirements, the target's use of Institutional Review Boards to decide on whether sterilization is warranted, and the fact that GA #486 "Prevention of Forced Sterilisation arguably covers the exact same ground. Taken separately, each of these three points does not present a strong argument for repeal alone. Together, however, they paint a convincing case of an arguably depreciated resolution with some questionable enforcement mechanisms.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Repeal: 'Ban on Sterilisation of Minors etc'".

Last edited by a moderator:
Against. I gave my reasons in relation to a previous version of this resolution (here). The new resolution does not change my views, except that this is no longer a rapid repeal. However, the promise of a replacement seems to have fallen by the wayside, which is of far greater concern to me.

Last edited:
For. The WA ought not to delegate authority to committees without setting any sort of framework as to how this committee is to make decisions. "to clarify upon ... this resolution" is essentially a carte blanche.
i think that if there is no replacement for the same purposes then this bill i basically legalizing steralising minors
No, states can still ban it.

Last edited:
Against. The lack of a replacement is indeed concerning. If a valid replacement is submitted I might vote for.
You can’t submit a replacement until a repeal passes due to duplication rule.
i think that if there is no replacement for the same purposes then this bill i basically legalizing steralising minors
No it’s not, Prevention of Forced Sterilisation already bans sterilisation without consent, minors included.
yes but it is letting some states sterelise minors
No it’s not

After carefully reading GA#486 "Prevention of Forced Sterilisitation" I have riconsidered my position. Can you change my previous vote from "Against" to "For"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back