Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Chief Justice
ga.jpg

Ending School Segregation
Category: Education and Creativity | Area of Effect: Educational
Proposed by: Imperium Anglorum | Onsite Topic

Whereas the exclusion of minority students from education with the majority population in separate educational facilities creates an inherently unequal quality of education by neglecting the student's ability to discuss and exchange views with other students:

And whereas racial and class motivated biases, along with the costs of private education, produce self-segregation that negatively affects students' ability to engage with society writ large:

And whereas the only way to prevent this self-segregation is for the state to promote values of pluralism and tolerance in the realm of schooling:

And whereas, if the Assembly is to ensure minority students' inclusion in schools, safeguards are required to prevent staff from treating those students poorly and to protect such students from being harassed:

Now therefore, be it enacted by this august World Assembly as follows:

1. Rights of the child. Children have a right, by education, to develop competence to interact in a pluralistic society. Unless a child is physically unfit to attend a school or an undue hardship is imposed on the child by this requirement, member states must to the best of their ability advance this goal through schooling; to that end, among other things, they shall prohibit segregation and self-segregation of students by parental income, race, religion, or other protected classes.

2. Ensuring school quality. Member nations shall ensure that educational services not under their direct control meet or exceed the same standards as those under their direct control on the following criteria: educational goals, facilities, instructors' training, and other standards that member nations may by law or resolution create. Member nations may not use accreditation in a way that encourages segregation by classes in section 1.

3. School authorities' duty to parents. Parents may, with the advice and consent of an administrative law (or other suitably empowered) officer, require school authorities to take action to prevent their children from being poorly treated by other children or staff on account of background, beliefs, and other rights protected by World Assembly legislation.

4. Clarification.In this resolution,
    • resolution refers to World Assembly resolutions and
    • parent includes guardians.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD] Against [/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]14[/TD][TD]6[/TD][TD]1[/TD][TD]2[/TD][/TR]

Ending School Segregation was passed 12,837 votes to 1,915 (87.0% support).

Last edited by a moderator:
A proposal legislating on broader education quality as much as segregation, “Ending School Segregation” aims to ensure that all students in member nations have equal opportunities to attain a pluralistic and social education. The proposal accomplishes this by declaring all children as generally possessing this right, prohibiting segregation and self-segregation of students by protected classes, mandating that educational services not under nations’ direct control not be worse in quality than those that are, and including a provision against mistreatment of students. This proposal is poised to make an excellent addition to the existing roster of education-based resolutions, and there is little reason to oppose it.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, “Ending School Segregation”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Against. A number of questions have been raised in the onsite topic which have been left unanswered even after some repeatedly requested a clarification. It is unclear what this proposal's effects are on homeschooling and/or religious schooling. It is also questionable how private school's scholarships merit international attention. What does "poorly treated" (clause 3) include, and does it open up avenues for abuse by parents looking for monetary compensation? Not just do these issues raise concerns over the proposal's merits, but also over the manner in which it was introduced (i.e. the continued refusal to engage the questions from the international community).

I'm glad that IA addressed the concerns now, but I'm not sure I'm satisfied. I think Graintfjall makes a fair point in saying that schools should be able to deny not just students that are "physically unfit" to attend, but also those students that are "behaviorally unfit" (e.g. those that have a tendency to assault staff).

Last edited:
For. I find that this proposal has the potential to succeed where Pedagogical Freedom failed with regards to legislating on homeschooling.

Against. A number of questions have been raised in the onsite topic which have been left unanswered even after some repeatedly requested a clarification. It is unclear what this proposal's effects are on homeschooling and/or religious schooling. It is also questionable how private school's scholarships merit international attention. What does "poorly treated" (clause 3) include, and does it open up avenues for abuse by parents looking for monetary compensation? Not just do these issues raise concerns over the proposal's merits, but also over the manner in which it was introduced (i.e. the continued refusal to engage the questions from the international community).
These concerns have been addressed by the author. Satisfactorily, in my opinion.

For. I find that this proposal has the potential to succeed where Pedagogical Freedom failed with regards to legislating on homeschooling.

These concerns have been addressed by the author. Satisfactorily, in my opinion.
I'm glad that IA addressed the concerns now, but I'm not sure I'm satisfied. I think Graintfjall makes a fair point in saying that schools should be able to deny not just students that are "physically unfit" to attend, but also those students that are "behaviorally unfit" (e.g. those that have a tendency to assault staff).

Against
the document reads somewhat like an equity bill the way it is written makes me think it could be interpreted to favor minority students
the bill says it stands for equality but makes many mistakes for example like it would force you to have quality public schools which is a problem because this would strain budgets
now a better position would be to protect students from having different standards by race but it says protecting minority students which is a problem because this would make it acceptabe to discriminate against NON-minority students legally which would be a huge loophole
the deal breakers are how its worded, in the words it sounds like an equity bill not an equality bill

For. I find that this proposal has the potential to succeed where Pedagogical Freedom failed with regards to legislating on homeschooling. [...]
The assertation that WA member states - which are generally left-leaning and (if, as a handful claim, the old divide still exists today) more IntFeddy - would warm more to Article 1 of Ending School Segregation (which forbids homeschooling except where "a child is physically unfit to attend a school or an undue hardship is imposed on the child" by attending school) to Article 1a of Pedagogical Freedom (which would have required members to respect "the right of parents... to direct and guarantee, with regard to their sincerely-held moral beliefs, the education of their children") is not surprising, regardless of whether it will actually hold water or not.

Against

The author provides insufficient evidence that the prevention of segregation by religion will not harm the operability of religious schools or private schools which are protected by the freedom of religion and freedom of enterprise in Eywaanian code. This legislation would clash with national legislation. Any democracy with religious or private education should think of the effects of this legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back