TNP Nation
Prydania
Discord
lordgigaice
27 August 2020
12:02 pm
On a Thursday
Adonai-Jireh, Iraelia

...Chancellor-elect of Highton promises investigations into claims of Syrixian interference in Presidential election...

...Prydanian delegation calls Syrxian actions "neo-colonial" in address to Luscova Pact...

...New Shavian autonomy demands once again make headlines, claims subservient position is a 'relic of colonialism'...

...For the Common Defence? A discussion on Syrixian military bases in Iraelia...

Razya Atzil watched Taneli Gadi as she flipped between the clips qued up.

"The agreement is the agreement" Razya said matter of factly.
"You needed my block to form a majority government, you promised a referendum on the monarchy and Commonwealth membership. We're a year into this Knesset's lifespan. It's time to deliver, Madame Prime Minister."

Taneli looked over at Razya. He was a legend among the Iraelian left. Labour activist turned politician who carved out a niche for his Labour Unity Party instead of caving into demands that he join the Liberal/Civic Democratic Union/Progressive bloc back in the 70s. Of course that happened...sort of. The 2019 elections ushered in a Liberal/CDU/Progressive victory...but short of a majority. Labour Unity support made that majority possible. It was Atzil's moment of glory. All he'd been working towards. He finally joined up- but on his terms. He pushed long-time rival Liberal leader Eshkar Hiskiyah out of the Prime Minister's seat. That Taneli was more centrist was hardly a concern. His other demands- the Deputy Prime Minister's seat, concessions on certain policies including the minimum wage and nationalized childcare, and the monarchy/Commonwealth referendum had made it worth it. It was all binding too, written into the coalition agreement.

Taneli hadn't felt too restrained. She had power in those negotiations too. She'd gotten Razya to set aside the national healthcare and tuition debates for now. Razya had a lot of negotiating power a year ago, but he was also cautious to not squander his chance to enter government.
The monarchy/Commonwealth one however...Taneli had set that off to the side. It would happen- legally it had to- but it was of no concern. Both the CDU and the Liberals were in favour of the monarchy, broadly speaking. The Progressives were neutral. Only the Labour Unity Party was against it in government. Given the pro-monarchy position of most of the right wing parties? It was bound to fail. An exercise to appease the Iraelian far left.
"Here, we had the vote, the monarchy prevailed, shut up forever please."

But then Highton...

Support for the Syrixian monarchy in Iraelia had always been high, but there were tensions just under the surface. Iraelian companies chafed at the preferential treatment Syrixian companies got in Iraelia compared to even Astragon. And a generation of young Iraelians were starting to reach out to young Shavians, looking to address historical wrongs and the colonial legacy of the Syrixian Empire.

Highton took all of these feelings in the undercurrent and blew them up.
Syrixia interfering in a sovereign state's elections? Of course it depended on how you defined "interfering" but even showing up as they did to boost a single candidate seemed suspicious. Suddenly what was seen as a non-event of a vote got interesting. Was Razya actually this keen? Did he let Taneli table it knowing he'd be able to pounce on this down the line? Whatever he had planned, the time was right for anti-monarchical forces to push for the referendum now.

"Razya" Taneli began, "you know that the CDU and Liberals are pro-monarchy."

"I am aware, but it's in the agreement."

"Yes, but when it needs to be held isn't. And we're a year in. That means we have three years to hold it."

"You're trying to stall for time aren't you?" Razya asked with a smile.

"Well it does look rather opportunistic on your part. This is probably the most criticism the Crown has gotten in Iraelian discourse since....well as long as I've been alive."

"Politics is, at least partially, about timing" Razya grinned.

"Yes, but if I agree to push this forward now, the CDU or Liberals might protest. Our majority isn't that big. If pushing this now causes enough of a stir then we could lose the government."

"The coalition agreement between your bloc and my party stipulate this has to happen. And that we stay bound as a single government until the next elections. I'm willing to let Eshkar put up a stink. It shouldn't matter to him anyway. Even now the republican option is still the minority."

"That's an unusual pitch Razya" Taneli laughed.
"Asking for a referendum and then admitting you'll still likely lose."

"I'm just asking for the chance to make the argument Taneli. If the country votes to keep the monarchy then it'll shut up the republican side for a generation at least. Longer if the electoral beating is large enough. If I can win though...well...you'll be the Prime Minister who..."

"Lost the Crown and ended a mutually beneficial relationship of over four hundred years?" Taneli replied with a smirk of her own.

"I was going to say 'ushered in a new era for the Iraelian nation'" Razya said with a shrug.

"There are a lot of Shaddaists in the Empire" Taneli continued.
"That's because of the Empire's positive aspects. Freedom of movement. Trade."

"There are Shaddaists in other places as well" Razya shot back.
"We aren't expected to have constitutional ties to all of them. Shaddaists in the Empire will be fine. They don't need Rajesh on the Iraelian throne to feel a connection to us."

"You know what you risk doing though. If we hold the referendum and you win. You risk every non-Shaddaist in the Empire asking why Shaddaists aren't loyal. You really want to go down that road?"

Razya leaned back in his chair, sighing.
"I can't control what others will say or do. I will say that if the Syrixian Empire decided to turn against its own Shaddaist population as a result of a pro-Republican result then it would make itself an international pariah. More so then it is now trying to assert itself across Craviter."

"Maybe, Razya. And maybe nothing happens. Maybe Syrixians accept our vote, even if it is the republican option, and nothing happens. I am the Prime Minister of Iraelia though. I owe to consider how my actions- how Iraelia's actions- effect the Shaddaist community abroad."

"I respect that, Madame Prime Minister. I truly do" Razya replied.
"We have a binding agreement to hold a referendum on the Crown and Commonwealth. People are talking about it. If I'm being blunt...I can stir up enough of a fuss over an attempt to delay this vote. Even among fence sitters and moderate Crown supporters."

Taneli grumbled. He was right. Even most supporters of the Crown would oppose a public effort to delay a referendum on the subject. Razya had played the game a long time. He knew how to play to public opinion. Taneli was learning, but this old lion was still her superior in many ways. True, he had a smaller party, but on a single issue? On a single issue he could muster his years of experience and force the issue as a matter of democracy. The arguments Taneli would use to delay it were far more nuanced- and therefore far less likely to resonate.

"All of this bluster and you still think you're going to lose."

"Like I said, Madam Prime Minister. I just want the chance to make the argument and ask the question. What happens after that is out of our hands."

"Alright Razya. Raise the issue in the Knesset. After that you're on your own though. I can't see any other party in the government officially supporting your position."

"That's fine, Madam Prime Minister. There are other ways to build movements."

Taneli nodded politely but she was curious. Curious as to what tricks this old lion had left to pull.

Last edited:
XR3bqbQ.png

(Referendum 5780- Monarchy and Commonwealth)

poGuETm.png

(Yes)
Sarazed, Iraelia

Conservative Party leader and Leader of the Opposition Agastya Yamesh took the stage in Sarazed. Iraelia's largest city was a multicultural melting pot and had a large contingent of Syrixian-descended Iraelians. It was expected to be the centre of the Yes vote in the upcoming referendum, and served as a great spot to launch the YES campaign from. It was just one more advantage the Yes Campaign had. Sarazed was their territory, and a nationally important locale. No doubt the No Campaign would love to launch from Adonai-Jireh, the only city that could match (or even succeed) Sarazed in profile, but it was tradition going back hundreds of years; campaigns weren't launched in Adonai-Jireh. The eternal city of Shaddai was to be kept non-partisan if possible.

There were other reasons for Agastya to feel confident. He'd been chosen to lead the Yes side of things. He was, despite his defeat in the 2019 election, a popular figure. He'd only lost by the skin of his teeth too, and that was enough to hold onto leadership of the Conservative Party. The current coalition would likely survive until 2023 but afterwards? Well Agastya would be able to go after Taneli and her allies. And a strong showing in this referendum would do wonders towards that end. Taneli Gadi herself had declared herself neutral. She had to, as one of her coalition members had pushed for it. Which was just perfect. Agastya knew Taneli was a monarchist, but politics prevented her from sharing the stage with him. Which meant he'd reap the benefits from a strong Yes vote.
And it was looking like a strong Yes vote. This was the first day of the campaign but pre-campaign polls put the Yes vote at 58%. No was polling 42%, with 6% undecided. Winning by those numbers would make him golden. Winning by even a few points less would still be decisive. And if he could pull the Yes vote to 60%? His stock would be as high as it's been since the 2019 election.

It was time to go to work though. Even sure things didn't happen if you didn't put in the legwork. So he took the stage draped in blue, gold, and green banners. Syrixian and Iraelian flags dotted the crowd.
"Imagine" he said to an assembled crowd, "imagine saying to your grandchildren that we took a stone out of the house we've built over the last four-hundred years. The house of the Empire, of the Commonwealth. Imagine if, when it's all said and done, our shared heritage and traditions were tarnished by a single rash decision. That's what that is. I don't suppose I need to tell you all a Yes vote is final. There are no re-votes. The shared heritage between Iraelia and the Empire will be severed. Thankfully, as I look into this crowd today, I see that the people of this country realize this. We are stronger together than we are apart, and this beautiful message will carry us to affirm our connection to the Empire and His Majesty."

He'd stopped short of calling the referendum a waste of time. First, the Liberal Party was part of the government but also supporting the Yes side. As much as Agastya wanted to use this to boost his own profile for the next election...well he couldn't turn it into an outright campaign. All he had to do was stay on message and everything else would fall into place. Secondly, turning a referendum into an unofficial campaign could actually sink him if the electorate found it in poor taste. So he steered clear of that. Still, he continued.

"From the wars of the eighteenth century through to the age of empire, into the twentieth century, our country has remained a steadfast ally of the Empire. Our cultures have taken from each other. Shaddaism flourishes in the Empire, Imperial culture flourishes in Iraelia. We are not one people, but we are a people of shared sacrifice, values, and vision. Let us not tarnish this. Let us not tarnish the ideals our fathers and forefathers died for in the Invasion of Alnaria, the Fascist War, the wars against Skanda. We're bound in common sacrifice above all else. The No side in this campaign will tell you this is about an independent Iraelia. We are already independent though. I know I do not feel less Iraelian because His Majesty sits on the throne of the ancient Yihuddi kings. Our policy is not dictated to us, or culture is not suppressed. It's never been suppressed. The No side will say this is about reconciling with colonialism. There was no colonialism. There was liberation, there was partnership. And I'll be damned if we're going to abandon that legacy!"

The crowd erupted in cheers as Agastya waved.
"We're going to go to the polls, we're voting Yes, we want to maintain our heritage, and we can put this distraction behind us!"

oVvumyG.png

(No)
Ashkella, Iraelia

Razya Atzil chuckled to himself. The stage he was about to go out onto was decked in patriotic blue and white. The Labour Unity Party leader felt for a moment like he was cosplaying as a Liberal, Conservative, or (Shaddai forbid) a National politician. It was by design though. The No Campaign couldn't afford to dress the No side up like a project driven by the Iraelian left. No Labour Unity or Workers' Party red banners, no cogs, hammers, wheat....no. This was already an uphill battle. It had to be sold as a patriotic option.

Agastya Yamesh had been chosen to lead the Yes side. Razya found it intriguing. Labour Unity was never as big as the Liberal or Conservative Parties. It wasn't even on par with those parties' primary partners. Yamesh was young for a politician as well, whereas Razya had been around a while. This was his first real chance to go one on one with him.
His age, however, had offered advantages. He may have never gone after Agastya directly on the campaign trail but he observed him. Took note of his tendencies as a speaker. A debater. Would the younger Agastya have done the same to him? He doubted it. Razya was half convinced the former PM barely paid him any mind. That was good. Razya would need every advantage he could get to turn this around for a No vote.

"Friends" he said to an assembled crowd.
"Friends, and those whose opinions have yet to be made, welcome. I don't come here to lecture you all, but rather to reach out. The Yes side of this vote is painting this as a matter of history. Of preserving traditions. They seem to be under the impression that should this nation vote No that it will rewrite the history books. That the last four hundred years or so will be erased. So to those that value our historic associations with the Empire, please understand we do not aim to sever that historical connection. That history will be there. It will be there to be taught to your children, to your grandchildren. No, this is a vote for the future. Not the past."

"The past is written, the future is not. I look out at the present of Iraelia to contemplate its future. To a younger generation with no need to cling to colonial ties. To Shavia and Hasban, and our communities of Astrogonese descent. Of our friends in the Lakhic Messianist Church. People who are part of the fabric of Iraelia for whom an Imperial colonial crown is unrepresentative or a reminder of an ugly colonial history. As I said, I am not here to lecture. I wish to reach out. To all Iraelians. We are a broad, beautiful, and multifaceted society. I mean no ill will to His Majesty the Emperor. He has been more than adequate as a head of state, but we must ask ourselves this; is a foreign monarch truly representative of all of Iraelia? We don't think it is. The past will always be there to be remembered fondly by those who wish to remember it like that, but friends. Let us a build a new future together. Yihuddi, Shavian, Hasban, Astrogonese, Lakhic, together. Let this be the first bold step of a newer, unified Iraelia."

Should the State of Iraelia retain HM the Emperor as Head of State?

55%
SDhEIc6.png

40%
hVLPQrE.png

05%
AkNY7qI.png

Yes No Undecided

Yes & No by XYLØ, 3:03

Last edited:
Shela, Iraelia

Agastya Yamesh and Razya Atzil clashed as the first debate on the monarchy referendum continued.

"Rajesh II, whose final decree ushered in Iraelian independence, even wrote commentaries on the Mikra" Agastya continued, making a case for the historic ties Iraelia had to the Syrixian monarchy.
"These historic and cultural ties go far too deep to forget or discard."

"Rajesh II will always be there though" Razya countered.
"Do you expect the NO side to scrub him from the history books? Of course not. Rajesh II and his legacy will always remain, to be there to draw lessons from and find meaning in, regardless of how this vote goes. His existence as a giant of history is not what we are voting for. It's not Rajesh II who is th subject of this. It is Rajesh III."

"His Majesty the Emperor has done well representing Iraelia on the international stage" Agastya insisted.
"His legacy of service, both in Syrixia and in Iraelia, is one that we cannot overlook. He's been a stable force for our country, and he's represented the bonds that have tied our two nations for four hundred years."

"I would not call meddling in the affairs of a sovereign state a good representation for our nation."

"These allegations haven't even been proven and..."

"I'm sorry Mr. Yamesh, but I wasn't finished. The results of the Hightonian investigation aren't what I am referring to. I am referring to the visit itself. Which amplified the cause of a pro-Syrixian candidate in Highton's presidential elections. The visit itself was the issue, and we know His Majesty plays a key role in the foreign affairs of the Syrixian state. He knew what was happening there."

"That visit was on behalf of Syrixia, not Iraelia, Mr. Atzil. The Hightonian election is not the issue here."

"It is though. Our neighbours- many of whom do not have the same positive relationship with imperialism that we do- see Rajesh III as our head of state and they wonder the same thing. If Syrixia isn't to be trusted, can Iraelia? Is Iraelia beholden to his foreign policy initiatives? Can it be an independent actor with him on our throne? Or worse...is Iraelian democracy itself compromised?"

"I very much doubt your coalition would be in power if His Majesty the Emperor actively looked to influence Iraelian elections" Agastya shot back.

"And I'm not certain he won't after I'm done, if we keep him on" Razya retorted.

The two continued on, the debate lasting for another hour and a half as they traded talking points and barbs. Razya and Agastya had never really gone one-on-one before, as Razya's Labour Unity Party was never a top leader in the polls. Still, he was an experienced politician and rabble rouser. Agastya found himself having a hard time with his opponent. He was both combative and conciliatory, and knew when to turn his tone on and off as the case demanded it. The debate was like a slog through a thick mire.

51%
SDhEIc6.png

47%
hVLPQrE.png

02%
AkNY7qI.png

Yes No Undecided

Last edited:
22 November 2020
11:46 pm
On a Sunday
Adonai-Jireh, Iraelia

xN1UEez.png

XR3bqbQ.png

"Welcome back Iraelia. I'm Arie Mazal and this is IBC Iraelia evening news, continuing our coverage on the Monarchy and Commonwealth referendums."

Arie Mazal is an older man, clean shaven, with greying hair. His sports jacket is slung around his anchor's chair, his sleeves rolled up. It's been the signature look of the sixty-five year old veteran newscaster for forty years. He had covered everything from the Skandan-Iraelian War to the Iterian League's formation, to deployments in Astragon and the IVF, and everything in between. He was- for generations of Iraelians, the face of the most trusted news show in the country.
And tonight- more than ever- the rolled up sleeves look seems appropriate. Here he was and they were broadcasting into the night as the tallies came in. He truly did look like he was hitting the midnight oil.

"IBC Iraelia- Imperial Broadcasting Iraelia- is this the last time we say that?" he asked the audience as a ticker at the bottom of the screen counted the YES or NO returns for each question across the multiple constituencies of the country.

"The Fascist War had only been over for four years when I was born" he began, "and growing up ties to Syrixia were not questioned. Many would argue that the rising tide of people who see the need for Iraelia to chart its own path to be a rejection of long-held norms, but I think it's more complex then that. No, Syrixian ties were not questioned as I grew up, but I remember that our militia was celebrated for our liberation. Not the Syrixians. I remember Reuhen Adaret more than any Syrixian Fascist War commander. And yet Rajesh II was perhaps one the greatest friends of the Iraelian people. It was complicated then- and it is now. Two different views of who we are, awkwardly pulling at each other. We fought the Syrixians off ourselves but we valued what Rajesh II represented."

Arie adjusted in his seat just a bit.

"I don't intend to tell you, dear viewers, how I voted. I would not insult your intelligence that way. I just mean to say that these beliefs, these two Iraelias, have always been there. They have traditionally coexisted but it was never given that they would always exist. Whatever the results, and they are separated by a razor thing margin as I speak to you all, we will have the mood of our people going forward. It is my hope that we go forward as one nation, regardless of the results."

"Over the past few months we have seen impassioned debate on the identity and future of our country. We have seen polls we never thought would tighten do just that. This is a transformative process for our country, whoever wins. That much is certain. With most of the country's constituencies counted it comes down to Adonai-Jireh. To that we check up on Miriam Rivkin."

The show cuts to Miriam Rivkin, who's standing in front of a map of the capital of Adonai-Jireh.

"This is a historic moment Arie. The holy city has long been hands-off when it comes to politics, but it is deciding the outcome of both referendums. Simply put the pro-Crown and pro-Commonwealth side needed conservative and traditional Adonai-Jireh to turn out in strength to tip both votes their way. The question was if Adonai-Jireh's changing demographics- more Reformed, more professional, younger- would come out to support the anti-Crown and anti-Commonwealth vote. Adonai-Jireh's growing population over the last ten years- mostly from demographics not in line with its older, more conservative, and more traditional population- has been noted by pollsters. The question was, what side would they support."

Mirim nodded as two graphics flashed on the screen.
"With 97% of the votes in Adonai-Jireh now counted IBC Iraelia can project that the NO side has won both the Monarchy and Commonwealth referendums."

48%
SDhEIc6.png

52%
hVLPQrE.png

Yes No

Should the State of Iraelia remain in the Syrixian Commonwealth of Nations?
49.9%
SDhEIc6.png

50.1%
hVLPQrE.png

Yes No

"These are razor-thin margins, Arie, but the remaining votes are from neighbourhoods where the NO vote is strongest. It has won both."

The camera cut back to Arie who nodded.
"And so Iraelia will become a republic. And will leave the Commonwealth."

Last edited:
22 November 2020
5:02 pm
On a Monday
Adonai-Jireh, Iraelia

The green and gold Imperial Standard was lowered and the new blue and white flag with the Iraleian lion was raised. The Governor-General, Avrohom Kadish, took the oath of the new Iraelian State Presidency. Taneli Gadi watched on along with the rest of her cabinet. Razya Atzil was watching, a look of confidence awash over his face. It was over. The Knesset had formalized the Referendum. The Coalition government, the Workers' Party, the Hasban Nationals, the Shivan Nationals, even members of the Conservative-led Opposition backed the result in the name of democracy.

And so a resolution was passed. Rajesh III and his family were given the highest honours possibly in the Iraelian honours system, and the Imperial Family was thanked for the leading role in over four hundred years of friendship between the Imperial and Yihuddi peoples.
Alas, the final nail was included. The Throne of Iraelia was formally abolished. The Governor-General would serve as State President until the next election, when a new State President would be elected from the Knesset.

Tali looked on with some unease. She wasn't a republican, but the results were what they were. All she could do was support the will of the people.
"Do you really believe this will help?" she asked Razya.
"You've spent your life fighting for the working man of this country. Does changing which ceremonial figurehead we swear allegiance to really accomplish what you set out to achieve?"

"Change is not so linear" Razya shrugged.
"Some changes mean more than others, yes, but one does not hold off on change when the opportunity arises. No matter how symbolic. And I would not discount what it means to have a truly Iraelian head of state. It has been over two-thousand years since that occured. Try to tell me that doesn't move you."

"It is a compelling argument" she shrugged.
"And it does mean something but...is it worth straining relations with a long-time ally?"

"My brother and I had a nasty fight once" Razya mused.
"I gave him a black eye. He gave me a concussion. That was years ago though. Now? Now we're as close as ever. Families have disagreements. And they all heal eventually. And no one gave anyone a black eye this time!"

"Well Razya, mazel tov. You did it."

"The people did it" he replied.
"They could have told me to get bent, but they didn't. All I asked you for was the chance to make the argument. I was never owed a victory. Besides, Yamesh is buried after this. So you're welcome."

Tali chuckled. That was true. Yamesh had already tendered his resignation as leader of the Conservative Party and leader of the Opposition. Tali wouldn't have to face a former PM with experience under his belt in the next national election.
"Well here's to the future."

"The sun rises, always" Razya answered.

Psalm 104 by Yamma Ensemble, 4:38

22 November 2020
10:00 PM
Monday

Astragonese Embassy, Adonai-Jireh

The champagne cork flew off the green bottle with a loud pop as an aide clumsily began to pour the frothing liquid into raised glasses, everyone was grinning stupidly and it wouldn't be long before the patriotic singing drowned out all sounds. Ambassador Lev Teshafe did not begrudge his staff their revelry, most of them were young and from the far south of Astragon, they had been raised on the narratives of Pan-Iterianism and the evils of Syrixian colonialism. While his staff gleefully celebrated what they saw as the withdrawal of the last colonial oppressor, Lev had a more complicated view of events.

Hailing from the north, Lev had grown up on the border in a devout Shaddaist community, two of his uncles and a great grandfather had died fighting for Iraelia and every year his orthodox father had taken him on pilgrimage to the holy land. For Lev the independence of Iraelia was not simply a matter of Pan-Iterianism or anti-colonial rhetoric, it was a deeply personal event. He did not begrudge the Syrixians as many of his younger staff did, they had after all driven the hated Shaivans back, but he too recognized that their utility in Iteria was long finished. For Lev the prospect of the Holy land being ruled by its native sons once more represented something that was both deeply inspiring and perhaps a little overwhelming. For the moment he contented himself with a slight but sincere smile as he watched the news on the TV, tomorrow there would be a great deal of work ahead as they tried to understand what all this meant.

"Ambassador, there's a call for you, it's from the Vizier's office," a secretary said trying to sound discreet as she attempted to be heard over the noise of the party

Lev nodded and rose from his armchair "Thank you, I will take it in my office" he said politely as he strode out of the living room and across the hallway

The cherry wood door to his office creaked loudly as he slid it open and flicked on a light, his office was a homely space that he had spent the last decade making so. His copy of the Mikra sat on a plinth resting on a velvet cloth and the bookshelves were overflowing with literature from across Eras. It was the smaller touches though that hinted at Lev's more intimate life, the pictures of family that lined every space on his walls, grandchildren's framed drawings and the small but devoted collection of Iraelian cowboy films on the mantle. The office was as much an expression of Lev's life and values as it was the seat of his political role, even his battered old armchair was unique having been gifted to him by his predecessor no less.

The phone rang, disturbing the relative peace of the room, Lev reached for it and put it to his ear "Ambassador Teshafe speaking" he said in a formal tone

"Lev! how are you? enjoying the celebrations I hope" the voice of Vizier Fazzah Na Mazrin replied jovially

The Empresses former Aide de camp had been Vizier only a few months, taking over from the outgoing Sarakhaid, but in that time his ability to communicate and network with his various subordinates had won him a great deal of goodwill. Lev for his part liked the man, he was measured, dutiful and possessed exactly the sort of calm demeanour that the position of Vizier required.

"It is a great day for both Astragon and Iraelia your excellency, independence can only strengthen the bond between us" Lev said with a subtle hint of passion in his tone

"I couldn't agree more, that said the Empress wanted me to convey her directives for the Embassies coming announcement" Fazzah replied conversationally

This was standard procedure, the embassy would give a brief statement ahead of the expected televised address by the Empress herself, Fazzah merely wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page.

"What are her Exalts wishes?" Lev asked his tone reverent and formal once more

"Nothing unexpected Lev, emphasise the shared ties and history between Iraelia and Astragon, focus on the bright future ahead of an independent Iraelia oh and finally," Fazzah said pausing at the last part

"Yes, Excellency?" Lev asked

"The Palace wishes to avoid any overt references to anti-colonial rhetoric, no one is more eager to see the Rixies gone then her Exalt, but the situation is sensitive and we have no wish to offend either the Iraelian nation of the Syrixian's" Fazzah replied his tone polite but firm

That was fair advice, the imperial relationship in Iraelia was a complicated one and coming out with aggressive statements in a nation where many had still supported the commonwealth would pose a potential diplomatic headache to Astragon. In the coming months, that tone might shift as more pan-iterian sentiments were aired, but for now, the message was simply one of shared joy at the holy lands independence.

"I understand excellency, I will make the necessary arrangements for tomorrows statement," Lev said affirmatively

"Very good, I look forward to seeing it, enjoy your evening Lev and Mazel Tov" the Vizier replied warmly before ending the call

Lev put the phone down and leaned back in his chair for a moment, outside the sounds of the city were a chaotic sea of honking horns and celebrations, the last time he had witnessed this level of merrymaking the Skanda-Iraelian war had just ended. He smiled and stood up making his way back over to the raucous noise of the living room. He entered just in time to see another cork fly overhead and to hear his now very intoxicated staff singing mangled versions of both Astragon and Iraelia's national anthems. grinning for the first time that evening Lev reached for a bottle of Kosher wine and mouthed a silent prayer as he poured himself a glass. The embassy would resemble a nightclub more than a diplomatic mission for the remainder of the night, tomorrow there would be hangovers and paperwork to deal with but tonight the Astragonese would celebrate Iraelia's independence with bellowing approval.

Last edited:
Back