Discord
Cretox#0125
sc.jpg

Commend Trotterdam
Category: Commendation | Nominee: Trotterdam
Proposed by: Noahs Second Country | Onsite Topic
Coauthored by: SherpDaWerp

The Security Council,

Frightened by the prevalence and scale of national crises facing world leaders throughout the multiverse,

Aware that a cabal of nations is dedicated to presenting solutions for the aforementioned crises in a brief, clear, and occasionally amusing manner,

Understanding that this group plays a critical role in the stability of our community as a whole, by hosting regular public discussions on international forums to analyse a wide variety of notable issues,

Praising scholars from Trotterdam for their participation as some of the most prolific, tenured and consistent associates in this group; their contributions include:
  • Assisting other nations' scholars in their efforts to present solutions, checking for factual accuracy and clarity, as well as overlap with previously presented solutions to prevent potentially harmful inconsistencies,
  • Bringing attention to important, yet often overlooked flaws that may arise in any documentation provided to world leaders, which could otherwise mislead them into choosing an unsuitable solution,
  • Explaining any unintended consequences that may arise from policy decisions in a clear and concise manner,
  • Presenting two pressing matters of their own via the satellite state of Milostein, regarding the dangers of unregulated firework use and the construction of a particle accelerator,
Applauding Trotterdam for their dedication to mapping the myriad possible ways a nation could address complex, multi-step scenarios, such as significant terrorist threats, major breakdowns in international relations, and improper management of press freedoms,

Impressed by the international database managed by Trotterdammer scholars, which serves as the most comprehensive and widely used compilation of the following:
  • Tangible effects resulting from a national response to a problem,
  • Potential policy changes that may come indirectly as a result of said responses,
  • Historical changes in world census rankings following these important decisions,
Awed by the conduct of these scholars in making this database free to use, while maintaining transparency in their methods of data collection, enabling all leaders to make more informed decisions without being misled,

Finally noting the impressive world census rankings achieved by both Milostein and Trotterdam in categories such as intelligence, compassion, safety, and education, upholding a benchmark standard for other nations,

Concluding that, without the contributions listed above, misinformation, errors and chaos would ensue,

Hereby Commends The Principality of Trotterdam

Co-Authored by SherpDaWerp
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD] Against [/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]10[/TD][TD]3[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]4[/TD][/TR]

Last edited by a moderator:
Trotterdam is a well respected member of the Got Issues community for a plethora of reasons. First of all, Trotterdam has left useful feedback on hundreds of issue drafts over the years, enabling aspiring authors to produce high quality drafts that eventually end up in the game for players to answer. Additionally, Trotterdam has made significant strides in the general public’s understanding of issue features that may not always be obvious, such as validities, macros, and issue chain sequences through posts on the various stickied megathreads in GI. Just as impressive is the creation of a database documenting more than 5000 issue effect lines, stat effects for each option, and a plethora of policy information. Ultimately, “Commend Trotterdam” does an excellent job of laying out these contributions and more in a comprehensible manner.

For these reasons, the North Pacific World Assembly Ministry recommends a vote for the at-vote Security Council proposal, "Commend Trotterdam".

Last edited:
Against.

I have two issues with this resolution.

First, Trotterdam has previously censored an option in the database out of pettiness due to his suggestion not being accepted. This insults those involved with the actual issue in question. I don't think this database is worthy of inclusion—who is to say that Trotterdam will not censor another option if he doesn't like it?

Secondly, the last clause is false and overstates the importance of Trotterdam's contributions.

Both of these issues were brought up with the author, they both can be fixed, unfortunately, neither of them has.

Last edited:
Non WA, but big for. They are helpful. Being against because of one censored option seems more petty than the censored option itself.

The slippery slope argument of "oh but what if they censor more options" is inherently fallacious. In the unlikely scenario where Trotterdam begins to abuse their power, the repeal mechanism exists for a reason, though even without the database I believe Trotterdam has an impressive and likely commendable resume.

Consider the scope of the database - 5100 options, with a single one unavailable. Seriously? The very existence of the database is a result of Trotterdam sacrificing their hardware to scrape for the appropriate information. This database is a useful public tool that isn't really designed to benefit Trotterdam in any way. They are transparent about their methods, the database displays factual results, and so on.

This database is something that multiple contributors worked on for years at NSIndex. There is no way we could exclude such an important detail in a resolution celebrating Trotterdam's achievements. Imagine voting against a resolution such as "Commend DGES," where the nominee is pretty obviously worthy of recognition, yet they heisted someone for 1 bank 12 months ago... I guess we should leave card collecting out of their commendation, despite being such a small detail in the grand scheme of things.

As for the concluding clause, it is admittedly hyperbolic in nature. However, it is still largely true - Trotterdam has made hundreds of contributions to megathreads such as "help us fix old issues."

If Trotterdam is not going to recognize the work of others, why should their work be recognized? From my understanding, despite the issue becoming publicly known, Trotterdam continues to censor the option, it is not as if they have added the option (as they should have) and apologized. The quality of the proposal—as I previously mentioned—would be improved if that particular bit was removed.

Comparing this issue to cards is ridiculous—the cards game is inherently confrontational whereas issues is not. Furthermore, we did not commend DGES for not heisting other people, as such the comparison falls apart in multiple aspects.

As previously mentioned, the previous clause could have been improved but wasn't. I don't see why we shouldn't have a higher quality proposal if this is to pass.

I don't think anyone has an inherent right to see the results of any given option, Trotterdam gives us this information for free. Issue effects, stat effects, and policy changes are not documented on GI. They have no obligation to show any particular option or effect, nor do they even need to provide reasoning.

While I agree that there is no right, in this case, we are discussing someone being worthy of commendation or not.

Present.

I'd like to point out that in the since the original posting of the forumside thread for this proposal Trotterdam has (by my counting) added another ~30 options to their database, answered (or helped answer) ~5 Technical queries, made ~62 feedback posts on drafts/ideas in GI, and made ~10 spoiler-based posts that help us normal people to understand more about the game.

To suggest that their contributions are not commendable over a single censored option is ridiculous.

Additionally; for the record, I've managed to dredge up the original thread wherein the options were suggested, link here. Trotterdam's conduct the entire time was professional, and indeed I've seen worse conduct from many other Commended players in the past. To point to this as an example of "insulting conduct" or "pettiness" is a frankly terrible interpretation of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back