PotatoFarmers
Discord
Freg#0420

ga.jpg

Military Identification Tag Act
Category: International Security | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Alba and Cymru | Onsite Topic
The General Assembly,

Aware that the whereabouts of many military personnel of various nations of the General Assembly remains unknown,

Appalled at the absence of medical treatment to recovered, yet unresponsive military personnel due to lack of identification,

Lamenting that many soldiers who are killed-in-action remain unidentified,

Wishing to reunite those who are killed-in-action with their loved ones for proper funeral services,

Knowing that military identification tags lend tremendous help in seeking missing-in-action or killed-in-action military combatants,

Acknowledging the significant role of military identification tags in the treatment of unconscious or unresponsive military personnel,

Noting that the bodies of deceased military personnel must be correctly identified in order to inform loved ones of loss, conduct funerals, as well as properly bury or cremate deceased combatants based on the wishes of the deceased,

Hereby,

1. Defines a military identification tag as any durable item worn by military personnel for the purpose of identifying a deceased or unconscious body of a military combatant,

2. Requires that all members of the World Assembly issue military identification tags to all registered military combatants and field personnel with the following correct and legible identification categories:

- Full legal name, including middle initial or name and suffix,
- Military identification number,
- Blood type, indicating blood type letter and Rh factor,

3. Allows member nations to include any other information deemed necessary,

4. Requires that all member nations issue each tag with a duplicate in order to identify the bodies of deceased combatants for initial identification and later recovery,

5. Allows member nations to provide the resources required to produce military identification tags to other member nations if said nation has a lack thereof.

6. Advises member nations from issuing military identification tags to unregistered combatants with public funding,

7. Prohibits the intentional destruction or displacement of active or salvaged military identification tags by any means,

8. Allows member nations to re-purpose the materials in military identification tags after they have been decommissioned.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

Last edited:
This resolution clearly from the beginning defines a purpose; which is to install military identification tags for the militaries of WA-member states and it reminds all voters that the absence of medical treatment to recovered, but unresponsive soldiers due to lack of identification on their person is a problem that needs to be fixed. This resolution clearly states the reasons of why such a move would be beneficiary. These include the identification to return fallen soldiers to families and to seek missing or killed soldiers. The steps needed to be taken are also very simple steps to take and the information needed per soldier is not too outrageous. Not only this, but this resolution also protects the soldiers identification from destruction from the opposing sides. This means that under this act, soldiers killed-in-combat will be able to have their remains brought home to their loved ones relatively easily, in theory.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the resolution, "Military Identification Tag Act"

Last edited by a moderator:
Against, unnecessary micromanagement that isn't the WA's business.

6. Advises member nations from issuing military identification tags to unregistered combatants with public funding,

7. Prohibits the intentional destruction or displacement of active or salvaged military identification tags by any means,

8. Allows member nations to re-purpose the materials in military identification tags after they have been decommissioned.
6 - Never defines the difference between a registered and unregistered combatant. So this doesn't make much sense other than the arbitrary ability for nations to just ignore this entire proposal.
7 - So if I kill an enemy combatant using an IED, was that an intentional destruction of their active tag? This clause doesnt make sense
8 - I mean okay? I guess. Doesnt really give guidelines as to what else would be done with them.

For

As for Tlomz's concerns:
6 - Never defines the difference between a registered and unregistered combatant. So this doesn't make much sense other than the arbitrary ability for nations to just ignore this entire proposal.
7 - So if I kill an enemy combatant using an IED, was that an intentional destruction of their active tag? This clause doesnt make sense
8 - I mean okay? I guess. Doesnt really give guidelines as to what else would be done with them.
6 - I don't feel this necessarily needs to be defined. I take that a sensible nation would have a registry of its military personnel, and anyone who isn't would be unregistered.
7 - I'm saying an IED isn't intentionally destroying a tag, it's intentionally killing the person wearing the tag.
8 - Meh, no harm.

6 - I don't feel this necessarily needs to be defined. I take that a sensible nation would have a registry of its military personnel, and anyone who isn't would be unregistered.
7 - I'm saying an IED isn't intentionally destroying a tag, it's intentionally killing the person wearing the tag.
8 - Meh, no harm.
6 - Curse you and RNT! shakes fist
7 ----> 8 - Im not sure at what point a salvaged tag becomes "decommissioned" to allow for such destruction. And if a nation has any incentive to collect the tags vs just burying them with the bodies.

<snip>

6 - I'm taking this to mean that unregistered combatants are fair game due to the likelihood of illegal, subversive and/or unsanctioned actions, at least in the form that can be put forward as plausibly deniable. I.e., don't attempt to claim such as sanctioned combatants. More may be put forward in this vein, but I'll leave that to your imaginations.
7 - No in answer your question.

Allows member nations to re-purpose the materials in military identification tags after they have been decommissioned.

8 - This is fine.

Largely sentimental, but acceptable.

For.

After reading it through once or twice, I finally saw one problem.
Clause 2 requires information such as a "Full legal name, including middle initial or name and suffix". People with long names are about to sweat. If you were to search out such ID Tags in RL, you would realise that they are small tags which is worn like a necklace or place in a small pouch. Sounds a bit ridiculous to require ones' full name.

I'm not sure whether I am allowed to vote (I have to pass the Delegate's check), so I'll just comment here. In the NS thread, people have raised concerns that the proposal would require nations to prosecute soldiers that get rid of the tag when they are a POW and disposing it is necessary for their safety.

After reading it through once or twice, I finally saw one problem.
Clause 2 requires information such as a "Full legal name, including middle initial or name and suffix". People with long names are about to sweat. If you were to search out such ID Tags in RL, you would realise that they are small tags which is worn like a necklace or place in a small pouch. Sounds a bit ridiculous to require ones' full name.

I don't know what is required in other nations, but at the time that I was in the U.S. military the dog tags also had our social security number on them.

Edit: names alone are insufficiently specific.

Last edited:
I don't know what is required in other nations, but at the time that I was in the U.S. military the dog tags also had our social security number on them.

Edit: names alone are insufficiently specific.
I am not sure whether I was unclear, but I was trying to point out that placing full names is unrealistic. I do get the purpose of an ID number, blood type, etc. (I have some military experience too so I know how is it for my country at least)

For.
However, you cannot be certain that those who are MIA or a POW may maintain, or even still have their issued dog tag. If a soldier is KIA by an IED or any other explosive devise, it may be difficult for clause 7, and that would include gunfire from any ammunition including a .22 all the way to a .50 BMG. Literally any small-arms, explosive, mounted weapons, Mk19, the works can destroy this metal. You could have their identification printed on the uniform, vest, helmet, etc. for easier identification of bodies.

HOWEVER, there is other means to identify a body without a dog tag including birth marks, tattoos, dental records, and DNA strands, so I am also on the fence. Improve it a bit more, and I will 100% go for

I am not sure whether I was unclear, but I was trying to point out that placing full names is unrealistic. I do get the purpose of an ID number, blood type, etc. (I have some military experience too so I know how is it for my country at least)

Given that Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorffwelchevoralternwarengewissenhaftschaferswessenschafewarenwohlgepflegeundsorgfaltigkeitbeschutzenvorangreifendurchihrraubgierigfeindewelchevoralternzwolfhunderttausendjahresvorandieerscheinenvonderersteerdemenschderraumschiffgenachtmittungsteinundsiebeniridiumelektrischmotorsgebrauchlichtalsseinursprungvonkraftgestartseinlangefahrthinzwischensternartigraumaufdersuchennachbarschaftdersternwelchegehabtbewohnbarplanetenkreisedrehensichundwohinderneuerassevonverstandigmenschlichkeitkonntefortpflanzenundsicherfreuenanlebenslanglichfreudeundruhemitnichteinfurchtvorangreifenvorandererintelligentgeschopfsvonhinzwischensternartigraum Sr. is the longest RL name I can see your point here.
Personally I'd just label him Fred and have done with it.
Our dog tags, iirc, just had name and number. Blood type was printed on our I.D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back