-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
ga.jpg

Prevention of Forced Sterilisation
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Maowi | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Appalled at the unnecessary cruelty inherent in sterilising an individual against their will;

Shocked that forced sterilisation takes place nonetheless within the jurisdiction of several member nations;

Adamant that forced sterilisation as a punishment for sexual offenders is both purposeless and immoral, given the severe and long-term depression and anxiety it often causes;

Similarly determined that, in addition to its inherent cruelty, forced sterilisation used for the reduction of population sizes of minorities or the disabled is a dangerous tool in the hands of despotic regimes that can lead to devastating consequences for the groups they target;

Resolving to abolish this abominable practice;

Hereby,
  1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "reproductive ability" as the ability to reproduce naturally without extensive medical intervention and "sterilisation" as the removal of an individual's reproductive ability;

2. Prohibits the sterilisation of any individual without their informed consent given free from external material incentives, subject to previous extant World Assembly legislation;

3. Requires that member nations:
    1. carry out thorough and regular investigations into all sterilisation services within their jurisdiction to detect any instances of illegal sterilisation;

2. reasonably punish individuals responsible for any sterilisation illegal at the time of its occurrence under World Assembly law;
  4. Tasks the WACC with overseeeing Institutional Review Board decisions to ensure that sterilisations of minors or other non-legally competent peope are approved if and only if the necessity of sterilisation for the long-term health of that person has been certified;

5. Urges member nations to offer and, where accepted, provide financial reparations or psychological therapy to victims of forced sterilisation.

Co-authored by Marxist Germany and Imperium Anglorum

I am For this proposal.

I also received this telegram from the Author

Greetings, esteemed delegates!

I am messaging you today to ask that you approve my recently submitted General Assembly proposal, Prevention of Forced Sterilisation, here:

page=UN_view_proposal/id=maowi_1587250612

Although the World Assembly has already taken steps to ensure that no child is sterilised unless the procedure is absolutely vital for their health, there is still work to do to ensure that no person has to undergo the trauma of a forced sterilisation. The psychological effects of a forced sterilisation are severe and usually irreversible; it can damage a life forever. However, the lack of World Assembly law addressing this means that member states can permit this horror to continue taking place under their jurisdiction.

I would be so grateful if you could approve my proposal and so allow this legislation to reach the voting floor, hopefully ending this practice once and for all.

page=UN_view_proposal/id=maowi_1587250612

Many thanks!

Maowi

Please do explain the specific meaning of sterilisation and what is its purpose?
Read the resolution?
1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution, "reproductive ability" as the ability to reproduce naturally without extensive medical intervention and "sterilisation" as the removal of an individual's reproductive ability;

I am For this proposal.

Read the resolution?

I am For this proposal.
It is important that the population must be controlled. I am for this resolution provided that you must include here what are the possible things we must do in order to control overpopulation as a result of removing sterilisation.

It is important that the population must be controlled. I am for this resolution provided that you must include here what are the possible things we must do in order to control overpopulation as a result of removing sterilisation.
Overpopulation is not the purview of this proposal. Ending forced sterilisation is. In any case, I doubt many nations use forced sterilisation to control population, since that's a very morally objectionable act.

Last edited:
Overpopulation is not the purview of this proposal. Ending forced sterilisation is.
So meaning this resolution will still allow sterilisation because it was mentioned here that this is only to end forced sterilisation?This means that those who are willing to undergo this process are still allowed?What if we should end the whole thing?

So meaning this resolution will still allow sterilisation because it was mentioned here that this is only to end forced sterilisation?This means that those who are willing to undergo this process are still allowed?What if we should end the whole thing?
This proposal only covers forced sterilisation. If you want to end sterilisation completely, write your own proposal for it, and tell us why it should happen. Otherwise, we're here to discuss this proposal about forced sterilisation.

This proposal only covers forced sterilisation. If you want to end sterilisation completely, write your own proposal for it, and tell us why it should happen. Otherwise, we're here to discuss this proposal about forced sterilisation.
I thought this proposal is open for suggestions and corrections?

I thought this proposal is open for suggestions and corrections?
If it's posted in this subforum, it has already been submitted and will likely go to vote. So it's only there for you to decide if you want to vote for or against. If it's posted in that other subforum, then it's open for suggestions and corrections.

Plus, none of your comments were suggestions or corrections. You were just making random comments about things that the proposal isn't intended to cover.

For

Also I wonder if this counts for nations who have vat grown people who are born sterile? (just thinking out loud)

For

Also I wonder if this counts for nations who have vat grown people who are born sterile? (just thinking out loud)
The author thinks out loud back (they asked me to pass this on):
"As written, vat-grown people wouldn't be affected by the proposal; the definitions refer to a removal of reproductive ability rather than just an absence of it."

As compared to the previous draft of this resolution where I was against, this one is much better and address the problems which were raised. Full support.

WAN not in TNP, so my vote doesn't count, but I'm for this resolution.

For. This is an adequate extension of Ban on Sterilisation of Minors Etc, extending the right of not being sterilised to all non-consenting individuals, beyond just those below the threshold of majority and deemed incompetent.

It does have a few typos, but nothing that hinders the actual reading of the proposal.

The author thinks out loud back (they asked me to pass this on):
"As written, vat-grown people wouldn't be affected by the proposal; the definitions refer to a removal of reproductive ability rather than just an absence of it."
I thought as much, cheers

We, at the Protectorate hereby vote against the Prevention of Forced Sterilisation.
We hold firmly that each state be able to exercise it's sovereign duty in the application of law and order, which may make use of forced sterilisation in lieu of capital punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back