Robespierre for Vice Delegate

As VD, explain in as much detail as you'd like on how you would coup. Then, explain how you would prevent this from happening.
I touched on this in my answer to Praetor earlier in this thread, but I’m happy to re-iterate what I think would be the most viable way a sitting Vice-Delegate could undermine the region. If it were me, then I’d do as I described earlier, which was: I would deliberately pass known security risks into the region for my own personal gain and/or amusement and I’d then proceed to subject myself to heavy scrutiny for doing so. But I’d leverage the expertise of the security risk I passed (perhaps someone who knows about couping GCRs) and I’d use that to aid me in my quest for power. This wouldn’t be perfect, of course, because I could be removed from office. But the lasting effect would be that these security risks were allowed into the region, and for how you fix that...

It’s been debated in the past that the Security Council’s recommendation should be final and that the Vice-Delegate shouldn’t be able to pass an applicant without consultation or against the rest of the Council’s wishes. I think that if the members of the Council recommend against the passage of an applicant’s security check, then their word is a necessary balance of power and the Vice-Delegate should respect that. I’d even say putting it into procedure wouldn’t be a bad idea, because the Vice-Delegate could be held more accountable that way and not just to the Regional Assembly, but also to their colleagues.

Suffice to say, it’d be a losing effort from day one. It’d require extensive and precise preparation to even be halfway successful, and I’d have to have accomplices within the Security Council to even be able to rid the region of other Security Councilors standing in my way. It wouldn’t be a matter of whether or not I could coup successfully, but more so a matter of how long I could hold onto power without failing. That’s not even taking into account involvement from foreign militaries, what it would require to slip past the Delegate in endocount to even acquire the seat in the first place, or what I’d have to do in order to pick off highly influential members one by one. It’d be virtually impossible, I’ll tell you that much. It’d be exhausting, impractical, and a just a mess. For the full hypothetical, please review my answer to Praetor

The Vice Delegate has it's own separate tasks from the Delegate. If every you were to become Acting Delegate due to whatever reason, would you prioritize your own duties as VD or the duties of Acting Delegate?
Given my level of experience in the executive branch, both within the North Pacific and all throughout my career in various regions on NationStates, I feel very comfortable taking up the role of Acting Delegate should I be required to fulfill that need. Obviously something most unfortunate would have had to occur for us to be confronted with that circumstance, but the people should take great comfort in knowing that I am willing and able to take up the mantle if need be and that’s not something I’ll shy away from as it’s one of my primary purposes with my placing in the line of succession should I be elected.

It really boils down to what the region would need most at that time, but I don’t believe it need be an either or type of prioritization. As I’ve said before, I’m extremely active, have high energy, a strong work ethic, and am committed to giving every duty my all. If I were to step into the role of Acting Delegate, I wouldn’t be neglecting my duties as Vice-Delegate in the slightest as there are still security checks that need to be processed and preformed, a Security Council to chair, and a community to protect. To me, a change in role does not mean a change in civic servitude or obligation. So I would always work to take great care of what I do and go about my various duties with a sense of pride.

This is here not there though, as the Vice-Delegacy would actually be vacated in this scenario. If for whatever reason I felt like I couldn’t output the same quality of work then I’d use the means available to me to ensure that the people are always put first and that we’re staying on schedule regardless of the situation. That’s if we didn’t have that vacancy provision, but as for what that might look like, you could expect me to consult with some of the more experienced members of the Security Council to ensure the day-to-day business of the Security Branch was carrying on smoothly. As per standing procedures, I’m able to name an Acting Chair if I’m ever unavailable and that Acting Chair could preside if I ever take on too big a workload.

It’s important to be able to recognize what you can do and what you cannot do. For me, I’m saying that I can do both while also letting you know that I’m not afraid to look towards others if I feel that I’m lacking in some aspect. This goes along with the adaptivity and open-mindedness I mention in my campaign, but we have so many talented, seasoned, capable Security Councilors who would understand the gravity of the situation much like I would. No matter what, a region always needs their leaders especially in ones of tragedy or unrest. It wouldn’t play out this way, though, because I’d only be acting Delegate and not both simultaneously

How involved will you be with the Executive Council? Usually, the Delegate is the one that manages them, and gives them tasks. Will you also do this, as VD? Sort of like a deputy Delegate, if you will? Can you give specifics?
Pardon me, but I’ll have to address the wording of your question first before I’m able to answer it. By no means is the Vice-Delegate a “deputy Delegate”, so in regards to that portion of your question I’d dispute the wording used because I simply do not believe that to be what the position is, fundamentally. That aside, I completely respect the Delegate’s discretion when directing workflow and assigning tasks to their Ministers. If called upon, I’m happy to provide input on a situation and support the Delegate in ways that the region might need me to. Will I, as Vice-Delegate, be directing workflow and assigning tasks to Ministers? Absolutely not, as that doesn’t fall under my purview and it isn’t what I’d be being elected to do.

I understand there are many pieces to the puzzle, and for the region to steadily progress towards improvement each and every day of a term we need to have those pieces fitting in the right slots. As Vice-Delegate, I’d be a very vital piece to the puzzle and so I like being able to understand how and where I’d fit into things. How involved will I be? Well you can definitely expect me to be attentive and observe the work of the executive. I definitely wouldn’t be standoffish or absent from discussion, but at the end of the day the Delegate and my job would be different and they hold different duties then I would. That being said, I’m accountable to the Regional Assembly for certain things and they’re accountable to the Regional Assembly for certain things. Do I think that government works better when we work harmoniously with one another? Definitely, and that’s why I’d always seek out positive and prosperous relationships with Ministers and the Delegate. As needed, I’ll engage and provide support when called upon to do so. We’re all on Team TNP

Say that you disagree with your Delegate about the appointment of an Executive Councilor. What will you do?
Ultimately, if I disagree with the appointment of a particular Executive Councilor then that’d be something that I’d have to make the best of. The people elect the Delegate and that Delegate is responsible to the Regional Assembly, just as I am and would be if elected Vice-Delegate. In the current landscape I can say that it’d be highly unlikely to have this happen, but in a hypothetical sense? I would still be able to co-exist with this person on the Executive Council and I’d adapt in an effort to make the best of the situation.

If I felt I had a really legitimate reasoning for opposing their appointment, then obviously I could contact the Delegate privately in search of reassurance and it’d be my hope that we could be completely honest with one another when doing so. Communication between the Delegate and the Vice-Delegate is something that should be happening, but in this instance there’s no reason to let personal animosity get in the way of progress.

I’m not someone who has any resentment of anyone in this region, so I can say without a doubt that I wouldn’t be susceptible to that kind of clouded judgement as a reasoning for opposing their appointment. That being said, if I questioned their ability, their diligence, their work ethic, or something else of the sort then I think it’d be okay to touch base with the Delegate provided I don’t try to intervene and dictate to them what should happen.

If the Delegate values my input, as they might, and they ask me for my two cents then I’ll be happy to give it. Otherwise, we’re elected to two separate positions doing two separate jobs. If the public had questions about Ministers, we now have a mechanism to address this in the form of Committees which citizens sit on and also the traditional route of going through the Regional Assembly. I’m not the policeman on what does and what doesn’t happen, and nor should I be. If elected, I’d be the tasked with the management of the Security Branch and the chairing of the Security Council. I will respect the people’s mandate in electing their Delegate and I will join others in placing my full faith in their discretion as to who serves on the Executive Council

We are all human, and as such are subject to forces beyond our control. Do you have a contingency plan if you were ever to disappear (like how Deropia disappeared) to ensure that TNP can maintain itself until a new VD is elected?
You’re absolutely right, and I think this instance is something that can be exemplified for just why proactivity at any level is able to provide so much piece of mind in wake of the unexpected. What happened with Deropia was unfortunate, it truly was, and I know that he never intended to leave the office the way he did. But as you said, we’re all human, and sometimes things are out of our control.

Earlier on this thread, I mentioned how one of the lessons I take with me is that I should only be worried about things I can control and not dwell on what was inevitable. I may not be able to foresee an absence, but what is in my control would be to prepare my colleagues for such a scenario. In practice, what’d that’d look like is me speaking with the Security Council at the beginning of my term and making it clear to them what is to happen should I ever become unavailable.

For the sake of clarity, I’m not suggesting I ever plan on being absent. Heavens no, as I’d actively endeavor to up my activity even higher than what it is now. But in a special case where nobody could have controlled what happened? Of course I’d have a contingency plan in place for such an event and the Security Council would be empowered to satisfy the needs of the region until a new Vice-Delegate is elected

Last edited:
Naysayers of our current system comment that the Vice-Delegate is effectively a political office for the elite group of people known as the Security Councillors. As someone who is running for the VD position without being a SC member, address this criticism and suggest how you might address this issue of the VD position being seen as an extension of the SC.

Last edited:
Naysayers of our current system comment that the Vice-Delegate is effectively a political office for the elite group of people known as the Security Councillors. As someone who is running for the VD position without being a SC member, address this criticism and suggest how you might address this issue of the VD position being seen as an extension of the SC.
I can come to understand why people would see the Vice-Delegacy as an extension of the Security Council, but what I cannot understand is the claim that Security Councilors are the “elite” of the region. This isn’t something I’ve heard from the aforementioned naysayers, but what I do acknowledge is room for improvement when it comes to improving trust and pursuing a more visible relationship between the citizenry and the Security Council.

In the past, we’ve a handful of outstanding Vice-Delegates who weren’t part of the Security Council prior to launching their campaigns. This isn’t a disqualifying factor, and it shouldn’t be. Rather, the way you address this is by coming to terms with what people’s perception of the office is and then dispelling any misconceptions that come along with that.

In order to understand how the Vice-Delegate serves you then you have to understand what the Vice-Delegate does and how it operates. I’m very cognizant of that, and I would say that serving your region proudly and establishing good standing through loyalty, diligence, and dedication doesn’t inherently make you part of an “elite” if you happen to be a Security Councilor. To suggest so would be misguided, but we can work to eliminate these claims from arising by being more visible and approachable

Having mentored you extensively myself, I know first-hand that you've made a lot of improvement this term, having done a lot of amazing work as Minister of Defense. You've become more self-confident, more experienced in leadership roles, and more established in TNP. However, I believe you still have a long way to go before you're ready for higher office. Perhaps with another term in the cabinet under your belt, you'll have learned to better manage your more negative impulses - those being a quick temper, passive aggression, stubbornness, and a fear of losing control.

Holy hell, Fiji. That's a fairly harsh criticism of the candidate's character. And nigh indefensible without his proving your assertions correct. The primary attributes the RA needs to consider in a VD candidate are trustworthiness and reliability. I would put temperament way far down on the list of things we should be looking at.

For the record, I think Robes would do a fine job as VD.

Holy hell, Fiji. That's a fairly harsh criticism of the candidate's character. And nigh indefensible without his proving your assertions correct. The primary attributes the RA needs to consider in a VD candidate are trustworthiness and reliability. I would put temperament way far down on the list of things we should be looking at.

For the record, I think Robes would do a fine job as VD.
:agree:

It brings me no greater honor than to have been elected as your next Vice-Delegate of the North Pacific. In my nearly six year long career on NationStates, this has been the most challenging, competitive, and enduring election that I have ever taken part in and I can truthfully say that I would have had it no other way in order to achieve victory. Thank you, to everyone who voted in the General Election. Whether your voted for me, for my opponent, or for the other candidates in other races who were elected; please do know that your voice is important and this election season you have made your voice heard louder than ever.

I commend my opponent, on his resiliency, his service, and his competitive spirit. I’m very fortunate to have faced such a formidable incumbent, and without his commitment to excellence in office I wouldn’t have near as big shoes to fill and I wouldn’t have the pleasure of working with him on the Security Council for the upcoming term.

Nonetheless, I’m confident that I can fill those shoes and I will do my very best to ensure the security of this region, the protection of its community, and the improvement of its institutions and programs. You’ve lent me your consideration the past few days, and to that I owe you all a deep debt of gratitude and appreciation. In turn, I will give back by following the very principles you elected me upon and accomplishing the reasonably set goals that I’ve set out to achieve.

There’s much work to be done, but more hands lighten the load. It won’t just be me in the Security Branch, I’ll be surrounded by Vice-Delegates past who have experience, wisdom, and invaluable knowledge. Together, we will work to serve each of you and we will do so proudly. Thank you, North Pacificans. Therefore I became.

~ Robespierre
Incoming Vice-Delegate of the North Pacific

Back