Light the RA on Fire: Deropia for Speaker of the Regional Assembly!

Deropia

Peasant Wizard
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Deropia
Discord
Dero#2736
My fellow North Pacifians, I stand before you today asking for your support as I put my name forward to be your Speaker. Over the past few weeks, I have served you as your Deputy Speaker. In my short time working in the office, I have tried to learn about every aspect of being Speaker and I’ve come to truly enjoy the daily tasks of the office and the duties it entails.

Rather than having me talk your ear off, I’ll get straight to it.

One of the key responsibilities of the office is performing Speakers Checks and updating the Citizenship Rolls. I would ensure that they are completed regularly and in a timely manner. The length of time it takes Citizen Checks to be completed is a key factor in whether or not a citizen will remain in the region or if they’ll be active in TNP. Completing these checks on a regular basis would be one of my primary concerns,

It is my hope to carry this timely response into the Assembly itself, where I fully intend on responding to motions as quickly as possible.

When it comes to Deputies, while I have not finalized my decision on who I would ask to serve in the office alongside me, I would like to appoint 2 deputies at minimum, one who has previous experience in the office so that they could help train a new deputy. Someone who hasn’t served the office in the past. So that they might come to love the office as I have.

One of the responsibilities of the Speakers Office, in my mind, should be to engage with the region as a whole. Promoting awareness of our laws, enticing both new and longterm members of the region to apply for citizenship and become involved in the RA.

One of the visions I have for the term is to host a quiz-type event that would reward nations in the region for answering questions related to the RA, and our laws. My hope is that the Cards Guild would be willing to work with me in that regard.

With that being said, I welcome any questions that the voters, and even observers to this election, have for me at this time.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to me and I hope to serve you for the next 4 months as your Speaker of the Regional Assembly.

On election day, remember:

Pssst: like the button and want to show your support? Copy and paste the code below into your signature!
Code:
[url=https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9191510][img]https://i.ibb.co/Vvsyh4k/d8amssm-813cf20d-5447-4198-8ea9-2f3fd8c6e4fc.png[/img][/url]

Last edited:
Barring situations in which a vote is moved for an immediate vote, what is the minimum time period you would schedule between scheduling the vote and the the vote beginning?

What is one rule you would add to the Rules of the Regional Assembly or the Standing Procedures and why?

What is one rule you would remove from the Rules of the Regional Assembly or the Standing Procedures and why?

What is one rule that you would change in the Rules of the Regional Assembly or the Standing Procedures and why?

Do you intend to maintain the separate Speaker's Server?

What is the biggest issue facing the office of the Speaker? How do you intend to address this issue?

Barring situations in which a vote is moved for an immediate vote, what is the minimum time period you would schedule between scheduling the vote and the the vote beginning?
It would depend entirely on the situation, as legislative votes require that they are scheduled with at least 48 hours between formal debate concluding and the vote opening. The length of time would depend largely on how long the proposal had been debated and if there were a general consensus on the issue. But, as for the minimum amount of time between recognizing the motion to vote and the vote opening I would have to put that around the 48-72 hour mark. The absolute maximum amount of time I would schedule a vote after the motion is 4 or 5 days.

What is one rule you would add to the Rules of the Regional Assembly or the Standing Procedures and why?

One rule I would add would be clarification regarding the Speakers ability to table discussions indefinitely. As it stands there is absolutely no guidance or restriction on this immense power that I believe should only be used when absolutely necessary. It is an issue that previous Speakers have shied from and I believe it's time that the Speakers Office dealt with it. I would want to do this through public engagement and discussion, before eventually making the adjustments to the Standing Procedures or Regional Assembly Rules.

What is one rule you would remove from the Rules of the Regional Assembly or the Standing Procedures and why?

I wouldn't remove any of the current rules or standing procedures.

What is one rule that you would change in the Rules of the Regional Assembly or the Standing Procedures and why?

I would change the rule regarding the succession of the Speakership when there is an absence or the office is vacant. Currently, it states that the Deputy Speaker assumes the Speakership if the office, for whatever reason, is left vacant. it does not however, provide for which Deputy Speaker assumes the Speakership when there is more than one currently serving Deputy. This could lead to uncertainty in who should become the Speaker if this were to ever occur.

Do you intend to maintain the separate Speaker's Server?
While I do intend on keeping the server maintained, in case a future Speaker decides to make use of it, I would be hosting the discussions between myself and my Deputies in the channel provided to the Speakers Office in TNPs main server. If let's say, something the Speakers Office was working on required collaboration with another office (such as an Executive Ministry or the Cards Guild) or if at any point I began making use of the Speakers Staff or Legislative Staffers I would use the server as it would make controlling who had access to information pertaining to the projects they were working on much easier.

What is the biggest issue facing the office of the Speaker? How do you intend to address this issue

The biggest issue currently facing the Speakers Office, in my opinion, is twofold. From what I've seen in my short time in the office is that there seems to be a lack of confidence in the office. I plan on addressing this by being attentive and decisive in the RA and while executing my duties to the citizenry. I have also noticed that there is a lack of activity in the RA itself. Since the beginning of November, there have been two proposals brought before the Assembly that were not confirmation votes. To rectify this, I would use my experience as Minister of World Assembly Affairs to try and attract new authors to the RA, offer workshops on how to properly draft and read legislation, as well as engaging with non-citizens and non-forum members on the benefits of citizenship and being active in the legislature.

It would depend entirely on the situation, as legislative votes require that they are scheduled with at least 48 hours between formal debate concluding and the vote opening. The length of time would depend largely on how long the proposal had been debated and if there were a general consensus on the issue. But, as for the minimum amount of time between recognizing the motion to vote and the vote opening I would have to put that around the 48-72 hour mark. The absolute maximum amount of time I would schedule a vote after the motion is 4 or 5 days.
So I take it your view on the minimum amount of time between scheduling the vote and voting beginning for a non-legislative vote has changed?

What are your thoughts on your opponent's idea of implementing monthly citizenship reports? Is this something you would be interested in doing?

If you are not elected, would you be willing to serve as a Deputy Speaker? If you are elected, would you be willing to have your opponent as a Deputy Speaker?

So I take it your view on the minimum amount of time between scheduling the vote and voting beginning for a non-legislative vote has changed?
Well, beside the vote you're referencing actually having been motioned for an immediate vote, I will say that knowing what I know now I wish I had handled that particular situation differently. I'm not infallible, and I can admit when I've made a mistake. Looking back on the scheduling of that vote, considering that one of the candidates had a standing objection to their vote commencing I should have, even if I began the vote for the other two candidates immediately I should have scheduled the vote for the candidate with the objection after some delay, as immediately starting the vote in this instance nullified the objection of the citizenry. I had not thought of that at the time, and I do regret and sincerely apologize for it.

What are your thoughts on your opponent's idea of implementing monthly citizenship reports? Is this something you would be interested in doing?

I think that it's a great idea, if we collect the right data in the reports we can see where we're losing citizens: Is it new members not sticking around? Are older citizens leaving? What ratio of old/new citizens are departing? Has there been a net gain or a net loss in the number of citizens in TNP? I would most definitely be interested in implementing it should I be elected.

If you are not elected, would you be willing to serve as a Deputy Speaker?
Yes, if I'm not elected I would be willing to serve as Deputy Speaker
If you are elected, would you be willing to have your opponent as a Deputy Speaker?
Actually, the funny thing about that is, as soon as my opponent entered the race I immediately thought that I would ask them to serve alongside me if I were to be elected. So yes, I would be willing to, and hopefully will, have Dreadton as one of my Deputy Speakers for the January to May term.

Thank you for your answers.

Well, beside the vote you're referencing actually having been motioned for an immediate vote, I will say that knowing what I know now I wish I had handled that particular situation differently. I'm not infallible, and I can admit when I've made a mistake. Looking back on the scheduling of that vote, considering that one of the candidates had a standing objection to their vote commencing I should have, even if I began the vote for the other two candidates immediately I should have scheduled the vote for the candidate with the objection after some delay, as immediately starting the vote in this instance nullified the objection of the citizenry. I had not thought of that at the time, and I do regret and sincerely apologize for it.
I'm glad you recognize the issues immediate votes can pose. As a note, while there were motions for an immediate vote, did the aforementioned situation meet the circumstances for which an immediate vote should have been scheduled?

Won't lighting the RA on fire cause the RA burn down? Does this mean you want to abolish the RA?! :P

Last edited:
I have also noticed that there is a lack of activity in the RA itself. Since the beginning of November, there have been two proposals brought before the Assembly that were not confirmation votes. To rectify this, I would use my experience as Minister of World Assembly Affairs to try and attract new authors to the RA, offer workshops on how to properly draft and read legislation, as well as engaging with non-citizens and non-forum members on the benefits of citizenship and being active in the legislature.

The lack of legislative activity within the RA is not necessarily a bad thing. Governments that legislate every activity have a tendency to over legislate and put themselves in a bind when a new situation develops. TNP historically legislates when there is a need to address issues within the region, such as the recent introduction of the Perjury bill.

How would you like to improve the citizenship process?
What are your thoughts on Speakers participating in the debate and casting votes that could potentially pass or fail a piece of legislation?

Last edited:
Is there anything from Gorundu’s speakership that you personally would have done differently? Since you were last involved with the Office of the Attorney General, have you thought up any new legislative agendas you might want to coordinate?

Wow. Doesn't even know Fira yet. How can I in good conscious vote for a level 3 noob?

I have seen you do very well in government roles in the past, however I am also mindful of prior instances of inactivity and disappearing without warning. What have you learned from that experience of vacating an office in that way?

Can you advise how you anticipate your activity will be for the term ahead?

Secondly can you confirm that if you do experience issues of inactivity, that you will have a plan in place to mitigate any such instances and in the worse case scenario, will promptly inform the region of this inactivity so necessary steps can be taken? I'd be particularly interested to know if you have any thoughts about how you'd structure the Speaker's office to assist in that regard.

The lack of legislative activity within the RA is not necessarily a bad thing. Governments that legislate every activity have a tendency to over legislate and put themselves in a bind when a new situation develops. TNP historically legislates when there is a need to address issues within the region, such as the recent introduction of the Perjury bill.

This is true, and I wouldn't want TNP to find herself an overlegislated mess one day. But it wouldn't hurt to encourage citizens to look for ways to improve existing legislation.

I'm glad you recognize the issues immediate votes can pose. As a note, while there were motions for an immediate vote, did the aforementioned situation meet the circumstances for which an immediate vote should have been scheduled?

It is my understanding that the confirmation of any one of the three candidates was necessary to bring the Election Commission up to the legal minimum number of members for it to function. With the General Election nearing it was imperative that the Commissioners be confirmed with enough time for the Commission to prepare for the election. In the case of Sil and Dreadton, I believe an immediate vote was warranted at the time with the above in mind. Scottie, of course,
is the exception. As the Assembly had not finished its examination of the candidate when the vote was started and had objected as such so that vote did not warrant an immediate start, as it was not necessary to bring the Commission to its functioning minimum.

Won't lighting the RA on fire cause the RA burn down? Does this mean you want to abolish the RA?! :P
Oh no! I would never abolish the RA! I was trying to think of a campaign slogan and well, black mages cast fire...so it was my attempt at a joke :P
If you become Speaker, will you still find time to help out at the Executive Ministries?
Of course, by taking on the responsibilities of the Speakers Office it doesn't mean that I won't have time to help in the Executive Ministries I'm a part of.
How would you like to improve the citizenship process?
What are your thoughts on Speakers participating in the debate and casting votes that could potentially pass or fail a piece of legislation?

Right now the citizenship process works fairly efficiently. It is my opinion that the speed with which citizenship applications are processed has a direct effect on the number of citizens we retain. The officials in charge of this process (the Speaker, VD and Admins)should try and complete their checks regularly, honestly at least once daily. If a nation spends3 or 4 days waiting for their citizenship application to be approved, we may end up losing them.

As for the Speaker participating in debates and votes, I can see why in a legislature where each member represents a political party the Speaker should remain neutral, so as not to be seen favouring one party over the other. But in a legislature such as ours where each member is independent, I don't see why the Speaker shouldn't be able to participate in debates and cast a vote.

Wow. Doesn't even know Fira yet. How can I in good conscious vote for a level 3 noob?
I know Fira! I know Firaga too! I just thought that casting Fire was a good way conserve mana if I was asked to "cast fire" as my campaign button says. But you should vote for me because I'm dedicated to the position, enjoy the clerical work the office entails care about the office. I also think that my experience as MoWAA and Deputy AG can be a useful contribution to the office.

I have seen you do very well in government roles in the past, however I am also mindful of prior instances of inactivity and disappearing without warning. What have you learned from that experience of vacating an office in that way?

Can you advise how you anticipate your activity will be for the term ahead?

Secondly can you confirm that if you do experience issues of inactivity, that you will have a plan in place to mitigate any such instances and in the worse case scenario, will promptly inform the region of this inactivity so necessary steps can be taken? I'd be particularly interested to know if you have any thoughts about how you'd structure the Speaker's office to assist in that regard.
Thank you, mcm, I do try to give whatever government role I find myself in my all. I want to assure you, and everyone else, that my previous bouts of inactivity directly stem from two separate extreme situations that happened in real life that left me unable to access the internet. I do understand the repercussions of leaving an office unoccupied without notice. It has taught me the importance of having a contingency plan in place for the worst case scenario. I have also learned the personal dissatisfaction of leaving a job unfinished and plans unfulfilled and the disappointment felt by the citizenry and those who supported me.

As for my expected activity for the coming term, I can see myself being available on a daily basis for the duration of the term.

If the worst case were to happen I would have no issues notifying the RA.
In respect to the organization of the office and contingency plan, my plan is to have two deputies, one of which will have previous experience in the Speakers Office while the other will be a new face to the office. I'm hoping to have the workload evenly distributed. Should I need to vacate the office for any reason a succession plan will be in place so the work of the office continues uninterrupted until the special election is resolved.

Do you have any plans regarding the Regional Assembly Digest?
I would like to see the RA Digest return in some fashion, maybe not as a weekly distributable, but maybe biweekly or something along those lines.
Do you support Greitbert’s fight against false information?
I will always support Greitbarts fight against fake news.

Is there anything from Gorundu’s speakership that you personally would have done differently? Since you were last involved with the Office of the Attorney General, have you thought up any new legislative agendas you might want to coordinate?

For what I'll be doing differently, I'll be appointing more than one Deputy, so that a new face can be brought into the office.

My primary legislative goal for the term will be getting the RA Rules changed so that it clarifies which Deputy Speaker succeeds the Speaker should they need to vacate the office for any reason.

For what I'll be doing differently, I'll be appointing more than one Deputy, so that a new face can be brought into the office.

My primary legislative goal for the term will be getting the RA Rules changed so that it clarifies which Deputy Speaker succeeds the Speaker should they need to vacate the office for any reason.
Isn’t the most senior deputy the one who becomes Speaker in the event there are multiple deputies and the outgoing Speaker doesn’t specify one? Was this ever really an issue? I suppose it doesn’t hurt to be super clear in standing procedures, but I’m wondering what transpired that has made it such a crucial point in your campaign.

Isn’t the most senior deputy the one who becomes Speaker in the event there are multiple deputies and the outgoing Speaker doesn’t specify one? Was this ever really an issue? I suppose it doesn’t hurt to be super clear in standing procedures, but I’m wondering what transpired that has made it such a crucial point in your campaign.

While the Standing Procedures currently cover the which deputy should assume the office should the Speaker need to vacate the office, I believe that this should be included in the RA Rules, as this document already contains the basic procedure for succession. I think it would be better if all rules and procedures regarding the succession of the Speakership should be located in one document.

Last edited:
One rule I would add would be clarification regarding the Speakers ability to table discussions indefinitely. As it stands there is absolutely no guidance or restriction on this immense power that I believe should only be used when absolutely necessary. It is an issue that previous Speakers have shied from and I believe it's time that the Speakers Office dealt with it. I would want to do this through public engagement and discussion, before eventually making the adjustments to the Standing Procedures or Regional Assembly Rules.

What is your understanding of the nature of the present power to table? When can it be exercised?

Why do you think that it requires restriction, given the power has been used incredibly sparingly by the Speaker? Are there past uses you regard as not being appropriate?

Could there be downsides to codification, whether the power is restricted or not? Might it, for example, affect the frequency with which the power is used?

It is my understanding that the confirmation of any one of the three candidates was necessary to bring the Election Commission up to the legal minimum number of members for it to function. With the General Election nearing it was imperative that the Commissioners be confirmed with enough time for the Commission to prepare for the election. In the case of Sil and Dreadton, I believe an immediate vote was warranted at the time with the above in mind. Scottie, of course, is the exception. As the Assembly had not finished its examination of the candidate when the vote was started and had objected as such so that vote did not warrant an immediate start, as it was not necessary to bring the Commission to its functioning minimum.

I am not sure the above answer actually goes to the question asked, which was whether the motions in question required an immediate start.

Additionally, given that the Commission has a process for the appointment of temporary commissioners, which the Assembly provided for by law, and that having such a substantial number of commissioner appointments all so closely timed together and so near to an election is essentially a choice of the executive, why should the executive benefit from reduced scrutiny of its appointees with the complicity of the Speaker?

As for the Speaker participating in debates and votes, I can see why in a legislature where each member represents a political party the Speaker should remain neutral, so as not to be seen favouring one party over the other. But in a legislature such as ours where each member is independent, I don't see why the Speaker shouldn't be able to participate in debates and cast a vote.

Are there any concerns you think members may have in relation to a Speaker taking express stances on their proposals and proposals they support or detract?

Will you yourself propose changes to the laws? If yes, how will you ensure that you will remain impartial? Do you think that the Speaker's office should take on or reduce responsibilities, and if yes, what?

Back