Election Commissioner Confirmation For Angshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a citizen and as an Executive Staffer, Angshire has been quite the newcomer. I think this appointment is made in good faith and that by allowing him the opportunity to become an EC, he will gain further knowledge of TNP.gov, it's functions, and its responsibilities.

Fitting if this one's ambitions reach further than that of an EC.

As a citizen and as an Executive Staffer, Angshire has been quite the newcomer. I think this appointment is made in good faith and that by allowing him the opportunity to become an EC, he will gain further knowledge of TNP.gov, it's functions, and its responsibilities.

Fitting if this one's ambitions reach further than that of an EC.

Exactly my thoughts! I think angshire will be a great addition to the EC.

What was it about Angshire application to the EC made him stand out above other applicants?

He didn’t apply, I just asked him if he would like to serve on the EC and he said yes.

https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9190608/

The last government had a process for appointments to the EC that involved an application that covered the relevant legal code and the persons experience. The application was review by the delegate and the EC. While the current government has no obligation to follow this, it had several strong points in is favor.

Did the EC have input into this selection?

For @Angshire ,

Why do you want to become an Election Commissioner?

Are you affiliated with any other regions? If so, what positions do you hold in these communities?

What is the procedure should the Election Commission announce false election results?

https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9190608/

The last government had a process for appointments to the EC that involved an application that covered the relevant legal code and the persons experience. The application was review by the delegate and the EC. While the current government has no obligation to follow this, it had several strong points in is favor.

Did the EC have input into this selection?

No, they had no input. I saw no need to consult with the EC about appointments to that body. I nominate who I think can do the job well and who deserves the opportunity. It’s up to myself to nominate and for the Regional Assembly to decide whether or not that nominee is suitable.

For @Angshire,

Why do you want to become an Election Commissioner?

Are you affiliated with any other regions? If so, what positions do you hold in these communities?

What is the procedure should the Election Commission announce false election results?

1.) I believe that becoming an EC will prove to be a valuable learning experience for me as I plan to progress further in TNP government.

2.) I serve as an ambassador to Forest under the TNP Ministry of Foreign Affairs. However, outside of that, I do not have any affiliations or ties to other outside regions.

3.) Taken from Section 4.3 of the TNP Legal Code:
19. If the full Election Commission determines that the actions under review are not in compliance with the law or their adopted rules, they will have the power, by majority vote, to overrule them. If deemed necessary, they will also have the power, by majority vote, to restart the election, or designate different commissioners to supervise the election.

Can you state the procedure in your own words?

If the Election Commission comes to the conclusion that an election's results were falsified, then they have the power to overrule those results by a majority vote. Additionally, they have the power to restart the election, again by majority vote.

I would ask some questions of the nominee.

Firstly, though I appreciate that plans may not be fully formed and I would not hold it against the nominee were things to develop in the future, does the nominee intend on standing for election in two or more of the next three ordinary election cycles (being the January and May General elections and the March Judicial election)?

Secondly, the election commission has a quasi-judicial function in reviewing the decisions of supervisors of elections, what qualities (and, if considered relevant, experiences) does the nominee have that would assist in carrying out that function?

Over the past couple of weeks you became a Deputy Guildmaster for The North Pacific Cards Guild, Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs, and are now seeking to become an Election Comissioner. Will you be able to handle doing work in all of these positions?

Can you state the procedure in your own words?
“Correct”

In all seriousness, though, I have no objections to the nomination so far. It’s always nice to have new blood in our governmental institutions as long as they can prove themselves.
Over the past couple of weeks you became a Deputy Guildmaster for The North Pacific Cards Guild, Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs, and are now seeking to become an Election Comissioner. Will you be able to handle doing work in all of these positions?
I also echo this concern. Something many people including me do is blinding accept job offers and or apply for multiple jobs. As I said above, it’s great to have newcomers fill up our jobs. But only if they are worthy of the job and don’t blindly go into it.

I totally understand these concerns, but I think that I will be able to handle it. I recently announced a hiatus from RMB RP, to devote more time to TNP governmental matters. Being a member of all ministries I think has prepared me to be able to handle the workload.

What qualities do you possess that you think an Election Commissioner should also possess?

Aside from being a newcomer who’s burst onto the scene, do you have any experience in managing/participating in the general elections of other democratic regions? If not, can you confirm that you’ve read over the rules of the Election Commission and understand what you’ll be doing should you see yourself confirmed?

The Admins have informed the court that Bill is accessing the forums via a proxy. The last time this particular Proxy IP was used, the account that used it was banned from the region for ToS violations. Bill cast a vote in the Regional elections using this proxy ip. The elections close. When counting the vote, your preferred candidate wins by one vote. It is the same candidate that Bill voted for.

Is Bills vote valid?
What steps or who do you speak to within in the EC and/or outside the EC about Bill's vote?

Assuming the above situation, add the following details. The EC is split on including Bill's vote. You are the deciding vote. The citizenry is demanding the vote results Answer the following:

What steps should the EC take in certifying the election?
What should the EC say to the citizens?
What procedures should the EC use in challenging the vote?

What qualities do you possess that you think an Election Commissioner should also possess?

Aside from being a newcomer who’s burst onto the scene, do you have any experience in managing/participating in the general elections of other democratic regions? If not, can you confirm that you’ve read over the rules of the Election Commission and understand what you’ll be doing should you see yourself confirmed?

1.) I personally believe that the most important qualities in an election commissioner are honesty and transparency. Throughout my time in The North Pacific I have consistently conducted myself with integrity, honor, and honesty, pledging to act in an impartial manner in the best interests of the region. I believe that those traits will make me an excellent commissioner.

2.) As previously mentioned, I have no ties or affiliations with other regions, and therefore, my experience in managing/participating in elections is limited. However, back in the November 2019 Judiciary Elections, I ran as a candidate and ended up finishing 4th. I believe that experience has taught me a lot about how TNP elections work and the process in which elections are carried out. This experience of actually running as a candidate certainly has predisposed me to some knowledge of TNP elections that are essential to know in order to carry out the duties of being a commissioner efficiently, diligently, and to the best of my ability.

If you could change something about the way elections are conducted, what would it be and how would you institute the change? (If you had unilateral authority over elections)

In the event the Vice Delegate is removed from office by the Regional Assembly, what is the proper election procedure for replacing the Vice Delegate?

If you could change something about the way elections are conducted, what would it be and how would you institute the change? (If you had unilateral authority over elections)

In the event the Vice Delegate is removed from office by the Regional Assembly, what is the proper election procedure for replacing the Vice Delegate?

1.) Personally, I believe that the current system of running elections is fine, and has worked fine for years. I feel it would only need changed in special circumstances.

2.) The office of the Vice Delegate would follow the line of succession, as outlined in The North Pacific Legal Code.

Does the nominee has any suggestions and/or opinions with regards to current EC procedures?

I believe that the current EC procedures are working fine as is. A change is only required in a situation which will warrant a change.

Firstly, though I appreciate that plans may not be fully formed and I would not hold it against the nominee were things to develop in the future, does the nominee intend on standing for election in two or more of the next three ordinary election cycles (being the January and May General elections and the March Judicial election)?

Secondly, the election commission has a quasi-judicial function in reviewing the decisions of supervisors of elections, what qualities (and, if considered relevant, experiences) does the nominee have that would assist in carrying out that function?

1) I definitely do not intend on running for office in the January General Election. I believe that I have a lot more that I could learn and a lot more experience that I can gain before seeking an executive position in TNP government.

2.) As mentioned earlier, and as you would likely recall being a fellow candidate, I did run in the November Judiciary Election, which I believe gave me some experience in how elections are run, carried out, and the procedures involved. As for qualities, I think the best quality I have would be my consistent activity in TNP. However, honesty and transparency is important for any government position, but especially for Election Commissioner, and based on my activity throughout TNP I have remained completely honest and loyal to TNP and to its citizens.

The Speakers Office recognizes the motion to vote and its second. Voting will begin on the conformation of @Angshire within 24 hours.

I believe that the current EC procedures are working fine as is. A change is only required in a situation which will warrant a change.

1) I definitely do not intend on running for office in the January General Election. I believe that I have a lot more that I could learn and a lot more experience that I can gain before seeking an executive position in TNP government.

2.) As mentioned earlier, and as you would likely recall being a fellow candidate, I did run in the November Judiciary Election, which I believe gave me some experience in how elections are run, carried out, and the procedures involved. As for qualities, I think the best quality I have would be my consistent activity in TNP. However, honesty and transparency is important for any government position, but especially for Election Commissioner, and based on my activity throughout TNP I have remained completely honest and loyal to TNP and to its citizens.

I'd just like to follow up on this question that Zyvet asked as you seem to have overlooked part of his question. You say you have no plans to run in January, but he also asked about the March Judicial Election and the May General election. Could you confirm if you have any plans or thoughts about running in those election cycles?

I'd also additionally like to ask you to detail briefly, your understanding of the difference in how Judicial and General elections are run and counted. I'd also like to ask if you've looked through the counting spreadsheet for a few previous elections, and ask what questions you would ask current election commissioners before you attempted to do a count?

2.) The office of the Vice Delegate would follow the line of succession, as outlined in The North Pacific Legal Code.
I think you missed the election aspect of the question...

The Speakers Office recognizes the motion to vote and its second. Voting will begin on the conformation of @Angshire within 24 hours.
I was typically under the impression that the Speaker's Office was a tad more... exact, in specifying when bills will go to vote. Is this vague phrasing standard nowadays?

I was typically under the impression that the Speaker's Office was a tad more... exact, in specifying when bills will go to vote. Is this vague phrasing standard nowadays?

Per the below quote, "Voting will begin... within 24 hours."

I don't know about you but I think that 8 hours is less than 24! Who would've thought?

Your concern is moot and the voting thread has already been opened! Please go vote if you have not gone and done so already!

Thank you Prae-bae!

Per the below quote, "Voting will begin... within 24 hours."

I don't know about you but I think that 8 hours is less than 24! Who would've thought?

Your concern is moot and the voting thread has already been opened! Please go vote if you have not gone and done so already!

Thank you Prae-bae!
Yes. I know that. However, stating that a vote will begin at any time during a 24 hour interval is incredibly vague as to when the bill will actually go to vote.

That was not my question. My question was whether this sort of vague specification as to when a bill will actually be at vote is now standard for the Speakers Office?

As I stated in the above, pedantry in relation to the timing of a vote beginning is paramount to moot. The vote had begun when it began. And at the Office's discretion, unless there is significant concern in regards to the starting of a vote after the Office has done its mandated duty per the Standing Procedure of the RA to recognize a citizen's movement for a vote, and another citizen's movement to second that motion for a vote, the vote will commence within a reasonable time stated.

Per RA guidelines, my Office is not mandated to follow any formal timing mechanisms as it relates to non-legislative votes as such guidelines do not exist.

Therefore, as is such stated (or not, in this case), when my Deputy deigns to say a vote will begin within 24 hours, and a vote begins within 24 hours, I have thusly followed through upon my office's obligation to begin said vote within the 24 hour period. Whether or not you consider such timing to be too vague is your interpretation and your opinion.

Therefore, concluding that I have consulted all of my legislative resources as it relates to this matter, I deem this point of contention moot, void, null, or whatever equivalent simile might exist.

Prae, if you feel so strongly about this subject, this is the RA... and you are part of it. Feel free to propose an amendment to non-legislative procedure at your convenience. My office will do its duty to such obligation as per standing procedure.

And if you don't know where to find said standing procedure... there is a thread that literally says "Standing Procedure" within the RA subtopic.

I hope this answers your concerns.

As I stated in the above, pedantry in relation to the timing of a vote beginning is paramount to moot. The vote had begun when it began. And at the Office's discretion, unless there is significant concern in regards to the starting of a vote after the Office has done its mandated duty per the Standing Procedure of the RA to recognize a citizen's movement for a vote, and another citizen's movement to second that motion for a vote, the vote will commence within a reasonable time stated.

Per RA guidelines, my Office is not mandated to follow any formal timing mechanisms as it relates to non-legislative votes as such guidelines do not exist.

Therefore, as is such stated (or not, in this case), when my Deputy deigns to say a vote will begin within 24 hours, and a vote begins within 24 hours, I have thusly followed through upon my office's obligation to begin said vote within the 24 hour period. Whether or not you consider such timing to be too vague is your interpretation and your opinion.

Therefore, concluding that I have consulted all of my legislative resources as it relates to this matter, I deem this point of contention moot, void, null, or whatever equivalent simile might exist.

Prae, if you feel so strongly about this subject, this is the RA... and you are part of it. Feel free to propose an amendment to non-legislative procedure at your convenience. My office will do its duty to such obligation as per standing procedure.

And if you don't know where to find said standing procedure... there is a thread that literally says "Standing Procedure" within the RA subtopic.

I hope this answers your concerns.

Mr Speaker,

While I don't contend, and I do not believe that Praetor contended, that the vote was improperly scheduled (I readily accept it is within the power of the Speaker to specify a timeframe within which a vote will start, rather than a particular time, and that that is what was done here), I do think that it is perhaps not to the benefit of the Assembly for votes to begin after such a short period of time, relative both to the start of the debate and to the time of the vote being scheduled.

The procedure contains no obligation that required the vote to have been scheduled in the manner that it was nor for it to have been commenced when it was, those matters were wholly within the discretion of the chair. That being so, I do not see that there is reason for a member to be chastised for questioning the exercise of that discretion and I would question it myself: why were such short periods thought appropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back