-
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Dreadton
Discord
Dreadton
Greetings, TNP. Once again, I am running for Speaker. During my time as Deputy Speaker, under Artemis, I learned a lot about the Speakership and the roles it plays in the government. Artemis was always there to answer the million and one questions I had about the position.

Citizenship

During that time, I assisted with the Speaker's duties in checking the citizenship oath and tracking the progress of each application. We were conducting the Speaker's check nearly every day, with few exceptions. As Speaker, I would continue to ensure the speedy resolution of citizen checks.

Legislation and appointments

In this area, I was not as visible. I did open several voting threads for appointments to various positions. I also conducted a vote count. I am confident that I can continue to run the RA efficiently and legally.

Regional Assembly Rules

Artemis began a process that I think we should continue in the RA, and that is to list the current status of the bills. Much like the World Assembly, this added "tag" makes it useful to track what measures are active, in a formal debate, or at vote. One of the things I notice during my Deputy Speakership was the difficulty in monitoring active and tabled bills. There was no efficient manner to do so without contacting the bill's author and waiting for a response. I believe that this delay contributes to the barebones nature of the RA Digest, and is an inefficiency that is on the road to being solved. Artemis began the process, and I would continue it. I would also consider formally adding it to the Regional Assembly Rules.

Engagement

Another process that I would like to integrate into the RA is a bill writing the program. WA Affairs's program to help TNP write WA legislation is a robust program that we should adopt within the RA. Writing a proposal can be confusing and scary for someone who hasn't done so before, and it should be the Speakers office's duty to assist. Establishing a formal program will give our members somewhere to turn to for that assistance.

TNP has, what I would consider, a high turnover in citizenship. These are people who took the time to apply and receive citizenship but end up leaving or CTE. While being a starting region contributes to this, people join NationStates and determine they do not like it; I think we can keep some of these people. Working on how would be one of the major tasks of my term.

Deputies

Deputies are a vital tool in getting people involved in the Government of TNP. When I was deputy, I was exposed to some of the inner workings of our government and gave me a better understanding of why our region is as prosperous as it is. If elected, I would balance my deputies between experienced and newcomers.

What is your opinion of McMasterdonia's Internal/External committee idea, as discussed in his campaign? Should he be elected delegate, would you do anything to assist him in fulfilling that objective?

What is your opinion of McMasterdonia's Internal/External committee idea, as discussed in his campaign? Should he be elected delegate, would you do anything to assist him in fulfilling that objective?

I think this is a rather novel idea. I would like to see it implemented and I would be willing to participate in the committees, should McMasterdonia and I be elected.

Are you not concerned about creating a by election in the judiciary, which you were only just elected to?

I am extremely concerned about moving out of the judiciary so soon after being elected to it. It gives me anxiety still. I keep asking if this is the best move for TNP. However, that is not for me to decide. It is up the voters to determine if it is the best move for TNP to move me to the Speakership, or to keep me as a justice.

How strict are you going to be with nations taking the Citizenship Oath? If they forget their nation name, is that an automatic failure or would you ask the applicant to state their nation name and wait for a reply?

How strict are you going to be with nations taking the Citizenship Oath? If they forget their nation name, is that an automatic failure or would you ask the applicant to state their nation name and wait for a reply?

I would like to give the poster a chance to add their nation name to their oath. But until they add their name, their oath is invalid. Our laws require that the poster provide their name and oath in order to be considered for citizenship. A speaker cannot pass the poster for the speakers check, and place the poster on the pending rolls, until all requirements are met. Without a valid oath, that meets all legal requirements; the Speaker, VD, and Admins cannot begin their checks.

I think this is a rather novel idea. I would like to see it implemented and I would be willing to participate in the committees, should McMasterdonia and I be elected.

I am extremely concerned about moving out of the judiciary so soon after being elected to it. It gives me anxiety still. I keep asking if this is the best move for TNP. However, that is not for me to decide. It is up the voters to determine if it is the best move for TNP to move me to the Speakership, or to keep me as a justice.
You are "extremely concerned" but not concerned enough to not declare candidacy and campaign for the Speakership?

Yeah, I understand that and that it is up to the voters. I'm just wondering what the motivation was for you? Do you not find the judiciary intellectually satisfying enough? I suppose most of the time they don't do much, so I get that, but just wondering what the thinking is behind it.

I'm also mindful that you ran for Justice and beat Gorundu for that role and that you could possibly do the same again, although you'd create a special election for justice, so maybe that's a consolation prize.

Do you think that it would be better to have all officials elected at the same time to prevent these special elections?

Other questions I've also asked Gorundu:

What do you think the most important job of the Speaker is?

What do you think was the greatest strength of your predecessor in this office?

What do you think is your greatest strength and how is this relevant to the office you intend to seek?

Do you believe that the Speaker should be an independent apolitical figure like in a Westminster system, or a highly partisan and political figure like in the US system?

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand that and that it is up to the voters. I'm just wondering what the motivation was for you? Do you not find the judiciary intellectually satisfying enough? I suppose most of the time they don't do much, so I get that, but just wondering what the thinking is behind it.

I'm also mindful that you ran for Justice and beat Gorundu for that role and that you could possibly do the same again, although you'd create a special election for justice, so maybe that's a consolation prize.

Do you think that it would be better to have all officials elected at the same time to prevent these special elections?

Being a Justice is a much slower pace position then the Speakership, and that did contribute to the consideration. Having all elected positions may be benifical. But the current system allows for an established court to handle any issues that may occure during the election process.

What do you think the most important job of the Speaker is?

I think that the most importan duty is ensuring that citizenship is properly assigned and maintained, and ensuring that the votes in the RA are properly counted. Improper citizenship can compromise the entire legislative process and endanger our democracy. Votes can be a close thing at times, making a mistake on who can vote or not counting a vote can compromise a bill and can damage the integrety of the process.

What do you think was the greatest strength of your predecessor in this office?

Arty had many great strengths. He was speedy and efficent with citizen checks. Was willing and able to train a completely inexpericned deputy and was able to keep the work going, and split the work so that one person was not doing every thing.

What do you think is your greatest strength and how is this relevant to the office you intend to seek?

I have absolutely no life, so theres pleanty of time to dedicate to citizen applications.

Do you believe that the Speaker should be an independent apolitical figure like in a Westminster system, or a highly partisan and political figure like in the US system?

For 99% of the time, a Speaker should be apolitical. They shouldn't let political beliefes get in the way of citizen applications and the legilsative process. There are times when the Speaker may need to put forth a bill to better serve TNP and the legal process. They will have to present and defend their bill, and that requires some political activity.

How would you choose your deputy speakers? How many will you take on? What will you do to ensure that whoever occupies the Justice position wouldn't have difficulty picking up what you'll potentially leave?

If elected, you would be fine if I made a legislative office thread in the RA or do think you the idea of legislative offices should be promoted and given its own sub forum?

For what it’s worth, the legislative offices would be similar to how the real life United States Congress members have their own website to release press statements, announcements, stances on certain bills, new bills they proposed, etc. Here’s an irl example(*) and here’s two NS examples(*) (*)

How would you choose your deputy speakers? How many will you take on? What will you do to ensure that whoever occupies the Justice position wouldn't have difficulty picking up what you'll potentially leave?

I would like at least two deputies, one experienced and one new person. I would want someone experience to assist with the speakership duties should something happen in RL that would slow me down. I would like someone new because Deputy positions are a great way to get involved and can lead to long term activity within the region.

Without talking about the current case, so that I do not accidently break confidence, the Justice position has several tools to help someone new to the position. There is a guide that was written on the basics of our system and laws. I would recomend anyone who wants to be a justice to read up on past court decisions and the logic behind them.

If elected, you would be fine if I made a legislative office thread in the RA or do think you the idea of legislative offices should be promoted and given its own sub forum?

For what it’s worth, the legislative offices would be similar to how the real life United States Congress members have their own website to release press statements, announcements, stances on certain bills, new bills they proposed, etc. Here’s an irl example(*) and here’s two NS examples(*) (*)

I think that it is an interesting idea. But I would like to see debate about a bill, be a part of the debate thread. I do not think the RA forum would be the best place for it. From what you describe, it seems better fitting in the RP area. Win or lose, I would like to talk more about this

Back