-
TNP Nation
Veniyerris
Discord
BMWSurfer#1965
images

BMWSurfer for Delegate 2019

Hi there!

My name is BMWSurfer, and I am running for delegate this election. I joined NationStates in 2017. I am currently the Minister of Home Affairs and a Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs. I am also a Major in the North Pacific Army. In Home Affairs, I focused on welcoming new nations and consistently sending out manual recruitment telegrams. In World Assembly Affairs, I have written IFVs for several important votes. In the NPA, I have led many operations, including operations with our most important allies.

Last term Siwale did an excellent job, but I feel that we can do better. Most of my focus this term will revolve around collaboration between Ministries, and with other regions.

World Assembly Affairs

Tl;dr: The Ministry will focus on getting IFVs (and the delegate vote) out early, and collaborate with WALL and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Also, revive the sponsorship program.

We have a remarkable power in the World Assembly. Through the delegacy we directly control over 1000 votes. Through the Information For Voters (IFV) program we influence the way our region votes. Through the World Assembly Legislative League (WALL), we can work with other regions to coordinate our stances on important votes.

To make this work, timing is key. We need to decide how we will vote early. Voting threads need to be posted before a proposal reaches queue, and IFVs need to be completely written before a proposal goes to vote. To achieve this, we will be posting proposal voting and discussion threads once a proposal has at least 70% of the total approvals needed to enter the queue, or 5 days before it goes to vote if already in the queue. We will also make it a goal to have an IFV ready to go before the proposal goes to vote, so that it can be sent as soon as the proposal goes to vote.

We will also, when possible, be sending these IFVs to WALL ahead of a vote. This will inform them of our positions and lead to more opportunities for collaboration and coordination. Additionally, having more people read our IFVs before we send them will ensure their quality.

The Delegate also plays a crucial role during the early stages of voting, due to the number of votes they hold. The Delegate must vote early, ideally in coordination with the release of the IFV. In this regard, I have a special advantage. Due to the timezone I live in, WA votes start at times in which I am online. Through this, we can maximize our influence in the early stages of voting.

Another area of focus this term is the Security Council. We often find SC votes to be very sensitive in nature, and requiring lots of experience in both WA and foreign policy matters. This term, to improve our response to crucial SC votes, the ministry will work with senior diplomats from Foreign Affairs. This will give Foreign Affairs a chance to coordinate their efforts with those of World Assembly Affairs, and improve the Ministry the tools they need to excel in the SC.

We will also work to advertise our Ministry sponsorship program to give aspiring WA authors in the region an advantage.

The North Pacific Army

Tl;dr: The NPA will focus on joint operations, piles, training operations.

The North Pacific Army is one of our most important foreign policy tools. Through raiding and defending we seek to promote our values and principles throughout the world. When we conduct operations with other organizations, we create valuable relationships that

promote peace and security for everyone. Through our training, we also prepare ourselves for the (unlikely) event of formal aggression with other regions.

This term, the ministry and I will work on conducting more joint operations. Joint operations build lasting friendships, and build bridges between organizations. I hope to continue the practice of hold a joint op with each of our allies (at least, those with militaries). We will also look into holding joint ops with other organizations, especially ones newer to the game.

Another major focus this term will be the Auxiliary. The Auxiliary has recently been not very active, and our piling numbers have suffered as a result. The Minister and I will work on increasing activity in the auxiliary, with auxiliary-only ops to keep our piling force engaged. We will also look into other potential solutions, like spinning off the Auxiliary into a separate organization like TSPs Civilian Corps. We will be using the Ministry of Home Affairs to recruit directly and specifically into the Auxiliary.

We will also continue to focus on training in various (usually overlooked) types of R/D, such as chases, liberations, and sleeper operations. This willincrease mission readiness and overall competency of our soldiers.

Home Affairs

Tl;dr: HA will work to revamp the forum mentor program, RMB dispatches, and recruit to other Ministries.

In light of the recently passed citizenship amendment, Home Affairs has a renewed responsibility to both recruit players to the forum and to welcome and guide new forum users. This term, this will be our main focus.

To achieve this goal, we will be re-organizing and revamping the Forum Mentoring program. The Forum Mentor program was heavily disrupted with the move to this forum in September. Home Affairs will be opening up the program to more members. We will also be more proactive in our efforts to help new forum members, by replying to and monitoring introduction threads. Through this, we can ensure people feel welcomed and guided during the most intimidating first days on the forum.

The Ministry, with its Gameside Advocates, will also re-evaluate our RMB focused dispatches, and update them where necessary. They will also evaluate new templates for our manual recruitment.

This Ministry will also work to recruit for other Ministries, to increase activity and participation in the Executive Staff.

Foreign Affairs

Tl;dr: FA will work with other Ministries and establish new relationships.

Admittedly, I have very little experience with this Ministry. However, many people inside the Ministry have extensive experience in foreign policy matters. I plan to bring that experience to what we do in the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs and the North Pacific Army.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will also work with the North Pacific Army to explore potential opportunities to collaborate with other aforementioned organizations.

Foreign Affairs will also work to establish a training program for new ambassadors. This will also include new resources, like training manuals on how to be an ambassador, for newer members to read when they join the ministry, before they get assignments. We will also look into potential future mentoring and training programs.

Communications

Tl;dr: Comms will publish 4 TNS editions, 2 TNL editions, and expand NBS.

This last term, the Ministry of Communications shifted the focus of The Northern Lights, our regional newspaper, from a regional status update to a detailed publication of well thought out articles. They also established a new monthly regional update, called The North Star, to send out to other regions.

Communications did an excellent job publishing The North Star last term, but couldn’t publish an edition of The Northern Lights last term.

This term, we will make it a goal to publish 4 editions of The North Star, and 2 editions of The Northern Lights.

Furthermore, I will work with the Minister of Communications to revamp and expand the Northern Broadcasting Service, with a goal to have broadcasts at least every two weeks. We would also include more guest speakers, and feature episodes. We would also put more resources into the advertisement and publicity of these broadcasts.

Culture

Tl;dr: Culture will have two events, including a flag day celebration. It will also host small games.

The Ministry of Culture has done a remarkable job these last two terms hosting events, especially in collaboration with TNP Roleplay and other regions.

While not entirely active read response below and pls dont kill me, the Ministry of Culture has nonetheless done an excellent job this past term organizing and collaborating on events. Especially the NS Cruise Parade, and the Harry Potter festival.

This term, we will continue to use our events to reach other regions. We will look at the possibility of doing something similar to the NS Cruise Parade again event again, and we will seek out other events we can participate and assist in. This term, our goal will be to have at least two events, one of which will be for flag day.

Culture will also host smaller events on a regular basis, such as discord and forum games and contests.

If you would like a dose of fluffiness in your signature, while at the same time showing your support for me, here is a campaign icon:

p8L3mx0NPjFUh8-2_H55OvOnJJdKaFUYjQ6hO-l-YpUC24J7eQJbTu3sYAnxvLF8lRQr1ANoOlgLqYfP6sAf4Q9HTQe-Haq_dfrk3GfCIo5C3vFFXaOVX8d2Z2vAi11ramUvNX-A

Feel free to ask questions!

Last edited:
Good to see you running!

And trained under Siwale, yet, as HA Minister. I'll be voting for you if I can get citizenship in time.

Small edit

I’ve been told culture was super active so ignore that bit. Apparently I don’t spend enough time in that ministry, something I will have to rectify this upcoming term.

Some people will be on my cabinet, some animals.

I think it’s more fun to let people guess, but I can say that there are many talented people in TNP.
It might be "fun", but it is a bit suspicious that you don't want to reveal your Cabinet. People might think that you don't want to because there might be members that you feel/know will cause a few eyebrows to be raised.

It might be "fun", but it is a bit suspicious that you don't want to reveal your Cabinet. People might think that you don't want to because there might be members that you feel/know will cause a few eyebrows to be raised.

Trust me, I would never pick bad candidates :noangel:

I understand you've corrected it in your platform, but I nonetheless feel obligated to respond to outline the work of my Ministry.

Firstly, we have met every goal set by the Delegate in both of his campaign platforms for office. We have effectively delivered on the mandate on which he was elected. Further more, we have gone well beyond that, hosting a wide range of activities to the benefit of the gameside, discord, roleplay, and forum communities at large.

The three big events we ran this term were the TNP World Cup, the Endorsement Frenzy, and the Harry Potter Festival. All of these events required a significant time investment in order to make happen. We also hosted A Message in a Bottle, the NationStates Parade, the Race to 600,000 posts, the Democracy Day event and others.

Members of my team have also contributed in a myriad of ways to other activities led by the Delegate, including designing additional awards, assisting with RMB activities, and promoting government initiatives. Over the course of the year, we have also held an RMB seminar series with Greater Dienstad (and other associated activities) that coincided with our changes to the University, celebrated almost all TNP holidays, created new and interesting polls, TNP's got talent, Theme Thursdays, and published Eras magazine.

In my opinion, Culture is often an underrated and undervalued Ministry. This is evident by the fact that you claim to have not participated in it. Despite -for better or worse - participating in our Harry Potter Festival. Culture is an ideas machine, and this is where the brain drain factor comes in. To say that you even thought we were inactive, especially compared to the other Ministry's you've lavished praise on, is extremely disappointing.

1. Would you be likely to add any new Ministry or merge, close, or rename/reform any existing Ministries?
2. What do you believe is the most important personal quality for a Delegate to have?
3. At times, there has been divisive rhetoric where The North Pacific has been cast into subcategories of communities, often with allegedly holding goals/interests etc that rival and compete with the other groups. This was quite clear in the debate surrounding the citizenship reform. How would you respond to this should it come up again in the next term? What ideas do you have to reinforce the one united community that we have that has existed for so many years?
4. Would you review, amend, repeal, or replace any existing treaty that we currently hold?
5. Which Ministry do you believe you'd find the most difficult to work on? How would you overcome this?

Trust me, I would never pick bad candidates :noangel:
What if I don't trust you? What if I was some random person in TNP who decided to vote because it will affect me, and I see all the other candidates being transparent about their planned Cabinet, while you aren't? You have to admit, it sounds a bit fishy. Almost like you'll be appointing known perpetrators :P

@mcmasterdonia I sincerely apologize for this egregious oversight on my part. Culture is an important part of this region, and it has excelled this past term.

Now, to your questions:

1. I have no formal plans, however there has been informal discussion about reviving the Ministry of Gameside Affairs. I might survey interest in this idea, but I have no formal plan to implement it.
2. I believe it is important for a Delegate to stay calm and not micromanage the ministries.
3a. I believe that the best policies are formed by compromise. So, we cannot expect a user who prefers the forums to start only participating in the RMB, or a user who prefers the RMB to solely participate on forums. To make this community work, everybody has to compromise a little. I also believe in second chances. While these divides may exist for a reason, these reasons should not forever prevent the community from dividing.
3b. We can reinforce our united community through the use of Culture-hosted games and events on various platforms.
4. Not at this time
5. This will come as a shock to you, Culture. I would work to overcome this by consulting with Ministry leadership on a regular basis, so that I can get a fuller picture of the work this ministry does.

Good luck BMWSurfer!

Thank you! You too!

What if I don't trust you? What if I was some random person in TNP who decided to vote because it will affect me, and I see all the other candidates being transparent about their planned Cabinet, while you aren't? You have to admit, it sounds a bit fishy. Almost like you'll be appointing known perpetrators :P

I would never do that!

Edit: Spelling

Edit 2: Wording

This is an interesting platform and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop further.

I'd just like to speak in defence of BMW not revealing his cabinet choices here - it may be that he's just not decided on who he'd like to appoint. I haven't decided everyone who will serve on my cabinet, nor who my advisors will be, so I can see why he might be playing a bit coy :P

Either way, good luck to you BMW :)

Knew you'd run for delegate sooner or later. This is going to be one of the most exciting elections we've had in a while.

Good luck!

As with many previous Delegates, will you be appointing any advisers? If so who will you choose and why?

This is an interesting platform and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop further.

I'd just like to speak in defence of BMW not revealing his cabinet choices here - it may be that he's just not decided on who he'd like to appoint. I haven't decided everyone who will serve on my cabinet, nor who my advisors will be, so I can see why he might be playing a bit coy :P

Either way, good luck to you BMW :)

Very accurate. Good luck to you too!

Knew you'd run for delegate sooner or later. This is going to be one of the most exciting elections we've had in a while.

Good luck!

Best of luck!

Thank you!

As with many previous Delegates, will you be appointing any advisers? If so who will you choose and why?

I will be, but they have not yet been selected (currently working on it).

1) What is your stance on the NPO, and what TNP's stance should be in relation to it? Do you support a declaration of war?

2) How do you feel about the balance between forum activity and discord activity? As delegate, would you seek to shift activity from one to the other in any particular area?

1) What is your stance on the NPO, and what TNP's stance should be in relation to it? Do you support a declaration of war?

2) How do you feel about the balance between forum activity and discord activity? As delegate, would you seek to shift activity from one to the other in any particular area?

My personal stance is that the NPO is a hindrance to democracy around the world, and we should take every action to promote and defend democracy around the world. However, I do not believe a declaration of war is necessary to do this.

Discord has taken a huge role in government, and I believe we should reconsider the magnitude of this role.

FoIA. Discord. Discuss.

To me, our main issue with Discord and FoIA is that we have no mechanism to declassify government proceedings that are conducted on discord. We should create such a mechanism.

Back