official floof
-
Pronouns
he/they
TNP Nation
Darcania
Discord
@zephyrkul
A discussion was had on Discord regarding the Like feature of the new forums, which the admins appear divided on. When we discussed it there an admin asked us to move it to this forum. So feel free to give feedback on the like feature, especially on where and how you would like to see it.

Discord discussion below.

[7:52 PM] Now, Ain't Syr Right?: Eluvatar Where do you go to like posts again? I can't seem to find the like button, and I'm pretty sure it was there before.
[7:53 PM] MadJack: its been disabled in some subforums
[7:54 PM] Now, Ain't Syr Right?: Why?
[7:54 PM] Now, Ain't Syr Right?: And also, apparently it isn't disabled in the RP subforum, or at least for all people; I wanted to like a post but couldn't, but Prydania was able to like it.
[7:54 PM] MadJack: link me the post in question?
[7:56 PM] Now, Ain't Syr Right?: https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9189174/#post-10189616
[8:10 PM] King SillyString: it was my intent to disable it everywhere for everyone >_>
[8:10 PM] King SillyString: someone may have mucked with that
[8:14 PM] McMasterdonia: I don’t think we agreed on disabling it universally
[1:01 AM] MadJack: Keeping it for the RP subforums is something I very much want
[1:02 AM] McMasterdonia: I’d like it everywhere tbh :stuck_out_tongue:
[1:03 AM] A Little Communism: I like it very much. I think it's a nice way to indicate acknowledgement/agreement of a post without having to make a separate post.
[1:06 AM] A Little Communism: Are admins able to like wherever they like? McM liked a post in The Docks I'm unable to like.
[1:07 AM] McMasterdonia: I guess so
[1:08 AM] MadJack: I don't think it should be in political areas tbh
[1:09 AM] A Little Communism: I'd like it in the Embassy Row mainly.
[1:10 AM] A Little Communism: I can see not wanting it in the election threads.
[1:18 AM] BMWSurfer: Why not? Like a reply with each candidates name and that how you count votes. Wouldn’t be terrible or non-transparent at all
[1:18 AM] Darcania: you're the best election supervisor ever
[1:19 AM] BMWSurfer: Lol accurate
[1:19 AM] BMWSurfer: More like “probably knows what he’s doing but makes sarcastic remarks so nobody truly knows”
[9:54 AM] Now, Ain't Syr Right?: I'm with Pallaith and McM King SillyString. I like it a lot
[9:54 AM] Now, Ain't Syr Right?: If we can't have it everywhere I'm hoping MJ's request can at least be honored and we can have it in TNPRP
[9:54 AM] Now, Ain't Syr Right?: But I would love it if we could have it everywhere. I see no reason for it to be disabled
[9:59 AM] bob: We should have an official vote on it
[10:00 AM] bob: I'm all for it, but it seems to divide alot of people
[10:03 AM] Artemis: I’m not really following the reasoning behind having likes turned off
[10:17 AM] bob: It seems like some people find it intrusive or annoying
[10:17 AM] bob: Personally, I don't subscribe to it, but that's what I see it as
[10:18 AM] Darcania: What's so intrusive or annoying about someone expressing agreement with your post, especially compared to the alternative entirely seperate post?
[10:21 AM] bob: That's just the sense I get from people against it. Their numbers don't include myself. Though one particular grievance I have with it is the notification spam
[10:22 AM] Funkadelia: I don’t really have a strong opinion one way or another, but one thing I noticed in Lazarus was that after the thumbs were rolled out people would tend to just vote instead of post, which meant that only a couple of people would end up expressing their opinions on things
[10:23 AM] Funkadelia: Where without them more people would share more opinions
[10:23 AM] Funkadelia: Granted I think that there’s a difference between the typical poster there and the typical poster here, but I’m just saying what I saw
[10:27 AM] bob: Laz is a shitshow
[10:27 AM] Darcania: no u
[10:28 AM] bob: Given the current state of my health, I can't argue otherwise
[10:28 AM] Funkadelia: I don’t really know what that has to do with what I’m talking about
[10:⁠30 AM] A Little Communism: Now, Ain't Syr Right? I'm not Pallaith but thanks?
[10:⁠30 AM] bob: I'm just saying Laz is a shitshow. TNP is also one but voters here will have more to speak about than in Laz in my mind
[10:⁠30 AM] Funkadelia: I’m talking about a few years ago, not right now
[10:⁠31 AM] Darcania: Places like the RA or the Elections forum, where we encourage debate or have a voting process in-place probably shouldn't have the like feature on, then
[10:⁠32 AM] Darcania: to encourage people to speak up about what they like and why, and, for the latter, to prevent confusion from newer users who may think Liking a post may count as a vote For whatever that post proposes
[10:50 AM] Eluvatar: let's have a discussion in Forum Operations

[12:08 PM] King SillyString: IMO likes add nothing to a conversation. They're a way of doing something without contributing. There are some areas they are never going to be allowed (like, say, the voting floor), but there's room for compromise on other areas.
[12:09 PM] King SillyString: But I did try to have them off by default when I set things up. #notevensorry

Personally I think that likes can be useful.

If the only thing I have to say is "I agree", then I think it's less noisy to simply click like.

If I have more to say, I should say it, but making an actual post the only meaning of which is that I agree is a waste of space and people's time reading it, in my opinion.

I think outside of voting threads, likes can be a good thing. Especially in spam and OOC threads which are more casual.

Voting threads should be totally off limits to likes though. I’m more on the fence about official government posts.

They're useful in RP, to show acknowledgement towards a post you like. Often RPs will be closed or semi-open, and Likes can be a way for people to show their appreciation for the story being told even if they aren't involved in the RP

I think they should only really apply to the role play forums where they can go a further way toward acknowledging the quality of someone's post without breaking the cadence of roleplay. Other than that, like I said in the logs above I think they have some ability to suppress posts counts.

To be honest, I think likes are 100% fair game outside of voting threads where new users can confuse them for legitimate votes; either that or we lose an explanation for their vote. Let's have a like war in this thread for the final result XD

Last edited:
Personally I think that likes can be useful.

If the only thing I have to say is "I agree", then I think it's less noisy to simply click like.

If I have more to say, I should say it, but making an actual post the only meaning of which is that I agree is a waste of space and people's time reading it, in my opinion.
:n2d:

I think likes should stay out of any official government activity, like voting, or in our administrative offices, courts, and chambers. I'm not personally a fan of likes, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included in more casual conversations.

I have to say, I'm basically on the same page as Fiji and SillyString. The more official the place, the more important it is the like button be disabled.

I'm with Pallaith and Fiji. On more important governmenty topics, if you have something to say, say it. But for RP, Games/Arts threads, etc.; it should be enabled.

Back