COE for Attorney General

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit I haven't read your platform, but I do have one important question: is your name Crushing Our Enemies?

I have a personal policy that any campaign-related message that I send in private to multiple people, I will also post publicly in my campaign thread. This is a private message that I just sent out to all citizens who haven't voted publicly so far (except for my opponent):
Campaign Message from COE:
Hi there,

You are receiving this because you have not voted publicly in the General Election. First off, I encourage you to vote, regardless of which candidates you prefer.

Secondly, I am asking for your vote in the Attorney General election. I am highly knowledgeable in the field of TNP law, having written or helped to write a substantial portion of our current body of law. I have served as a justice and a hearing officer multiple times, so I have experience participating in trials and judicial reviews. Those are my qualifications, but the true foundations of my campaign are my values: Compassion, Objectivity, and Efficiency. You can read more about them in my original campaign thread, from before the tapatalk conversion: https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9091881/

I would be happy to discuss my campaign with you in more depth. You can send me a message on the forum, in discord, or reply to my new campaign thread with questions: https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9189081/

Thank you!
COE

COE,

The AG's office has been churning along quite efficiently under your opponent's watch. So my questions are...

- What would you do differently compared to what Goyanes has been doing as AG?
- In what ways would you say Goyanes is lacking as AG compared to yourself?

Well, I guess I would take issue with your premise that the AG's office has been run efficiently. By my count, in the 10 months that Goy has been Attorney General, he's done the following:

1. Posted "term summaries" in which he says hi and appoints deputies (see here and here.)
2. Filed an erroneous Request for Review, later withdrawn: here.
3. Charged a brand new player with three crimes, when all they were guilty of was making a couple extra forum accounts that they never used. The erroneous charges were later withdrawn: here.

I don't find that record particularly impressive. Now, I'll be the first to say that the AG's office typically has a light workload, but my issue with Goy's tenure as AG isn't with the lack of output - it's the clear mistakes that were made in bringing the above request for review and criminal charges to the court in the first place. My impression is that Goy makes quick decisions in office, and they aren't always the right ones. If he took more time to study the law, or to consult legal experts and listen to their advice, I am sure he wouldn't have brought those matters to the court - after all, he ultimately made the correct decision to withdraw them.

The Attorney General is meant to be a legal authority to the region, as well as a judge of when criminal charges are appropriate to bring to the court. The mistakes that were made in the only two official filings that Goyanes made during his terms don't reflect the level of knowledge and judgment that I think we all deserve from the Attorney General's office. I don't say this as a personal attack on Goy. From all I've seen, he's active, personable, and an all-around good player and good person. I would love to see him as minister of home affairs, minister of culture, or other high executive positions, perhaps delegate someday. However, I don't think AG is a good fit.

If you want to see the clearest difference between Goyanes and me, look at our campaign threads. I have laid out a values-based platform that details my philosophy regarding the AG's office and what you could expect if you elect me: Compassion, Objectivity, and Efficiency. Goy's platform amounts to "hi folks, I'm your AG, nothing much to say here, vote for me." I will bring a same thoughtful approach to the office as I have brought to my campaign. My official filings with the court will be the result of a deliberative process, involving everyone in the office, and informed by my campaign's values. If that approach sounds like what you want from your Attorney General, I ask that you cast your vote for me.

I appreciate your time. Thank you for your answer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back