Prydania
Discord
lordgigaice
So we know that Eras is....
1) Roughly the size of Earth
2) Has one moon roughly the size of Earth's moon
3) Has a star roughly the size of Earth's sun
4) Is about as far from its star as Earth is from the sun

Beyond that? The properties of the solar system are unknown. So let's talk about that!

I have a planetary proposal that I started working on and promptly forgot about back in January. Link with commenting privileges.

I personally suggest looking at Latin or Greek sources (as with RL), but also considering Semitic sources (to tie into Shaddaism).

Feel free to suggest additional names along those lines. I will ignore names taken from our solar system. If you can, I encourage suggesting additional planets, and noting their size in terrestrial masses (assuming Eras is 1 Terrestrial mass) and atmosphere makeup. Interesting additional facts, such as notable geological activity, moons, binary orbit, etc. would also be appreciated.

Something I think would make some sense is if the planets were simply based on the nine eight planets of the solar system we have in real life and give them different names and maybe change some properties.

MacSalterson:
I have a planetary proposal that I started working on and promptly forgot about back in January. Link with commenting privileges.

I personally suggest looking at Latin or Greek sources (as with RL), but also considering Semitic sources (to tie into Shaddaism)
I quite like that general layout.

Highton:
Something I think would make some sense is if the planets were simply based on the nine eight planets of the solar system we have in real life and give them different names and maybe change some properties.
I disagree. I like the system Sodium came up with. It's willing to play around with the order of things. Eras, its star, and its moon have to have roughly Earth-like properties for reasons related to physics and the tide, but beyond that? We should make something new.

I think we should probably have at least one Mars-like planet reasonably close to the habitable zone, not necessarily an analogue but one with properties that would serve a similar purpose. As it stands, the current setup isn't quite as conducive to planetary exploration. It would need to be small enough to be easy to escape but large enough to retain a decent atmosphere, the atmosphere could be Carbon Dioxide or maybe something else like 95%+ Nitrogen - this would be thick enough to keep reasonable temperatures and maybe even allow for liquid water either historically or at the bottoms of deep craters, but not be anywhere near as thick as Eras'. This planet could be on its own orbit at either the inner or outer edge of the habitable zone, or maybe in a binary system with another planet.

A Carbon Planet could be neat as well though it'd take some explaining as to how it ended up in a Silicon-Oxygen system. Could be a captured exoplanet orbiting in retrograde with a wonky orbital plane.

I thought the decision was that Eras was smaller then Earth and the land area was about 1/3 of Earth’s land. In regards to the astronomy is a ring a consideration?

Syr has suggested a roche planet system, which could serve as that Mars analogue. I'm not *too* excited about having analogues in RL planets, as this is a separate universe and I've made my feelings on that stuff fairly clear, but it might help fuel interest in space to have some things like that.

EDIT: also a reduced number of gas giants or asteroid belt could explain increased amounts of resources (like Iridium) due to increased meteor impacts

MacSalterson:
Syr has suggested a roche planet system, which could serve as that Mars analogue. I'm not *too* excited about having analogues in RL planets, as this is a separate universe and I've made my feelings on that stuff fairly clear, but it might help fuel interest in space to have some things like that.
Honestly, I don't like the suggestion of a Roche system because they are extremely rare and have been reserved for science fiction (such as the novel Rocheworld). Although it may be an interesting concept in theory, I don't think this concept should be used.

On the other hand, I'd be open to something a little less extreme- something similar to the Pluto-Charon system, where a planet has a moon that is relatively close and large, however I don't like the idea of shared atmospheres.

It doesn't need to be an analogue, it could be a hot planet with a nitrogen atmosphere, or maybe do something different like an Argon/Xenon noble gas atmosphere. Just something that would be a prime target for exploration, and suitable for research colonies should we ever get around to allowing/RPing that.

I think there should be a nice big asteroid belt/field somewhere so that some asteroids could be caught and mined/converted into living space stations.

Highton:
MacSalterson:
Honestly, I don't like the suggestion of a Roche system because they are extremely rare and have been reserved for science fiction (such as the novel Rocheworld). Although it may be an interesting concept in theory, I don't think this concept should be used.

On the other hand, I'd be open to something a little less extreme- something similar to the Pluto-Charon system, where a planet has a moon that is relatively close and large, however I don't like the idea of shared atmospheres.
Extremely rare doesn't mean impossible. I think it would be fun to explore.

Ninhundland:
I thought the decision was that Eras was smaller then Earth and the land area was about 1/3 of Earth’s land. In regards to the astronomy is a ring a consideration?
The current map is 1/3 of Earth's area, but the current map is not all of Eras.

Prydania:
Ninhundland:
The current map is 1/3 of Earth's area, but the current map is not all of Eras.
Current map is not 1/3rd of Earth.

Total Surface Area
Earth: 510,072,000 km2
Eras (Map): 180,250,000 km2

35.7% of Earth's Size

Land Area
Earth: 148,940,000 km2
Eras (Map): 33,939, 216 km2

22.8% of Earth's Land Area (I would bump that up an extra ~500,000 to ~750,000 for unseen islands and etc so ~24%)

So one thing to keep in mind is that Eras is a lot closer to an Oceanic World then Earth. Especially if the off-map area is even more oceanic with less landmasses and more desperate islands and etc.

Earth Ocean to Land Ratio: 2.42:1
Eras Ocean to Land Ratio: 4.32:1

I feel that what is happening to this conversation is what has happened in previous times the subject has been brought up, and that is it will start and then fade. We should put together a final proposal and try and get it to be canon to stop this dilemma from appearing again. this is the link to Syrixia’s proposal, which I think we should build upon.

When it comes down to it. Does it really matter? How much is this going to really impact the RP as a whole. Other then one off news posts that would be made right after this would be finalized and then never again.

Highton:
I feel that what is happening to this conversation is what has happened in previous times the subject has been brought up, and that is it will start and then fade. We should put together a final proposal and try and get it to be canon to stop this dilemma from appearing again. this is the link to Syrixia’s proposal, which I think we should build upon.
It wasn't done, but whatever. :P

Back