-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
moce_seal.png
The North Pacific & Greater Dienstad Roleplay and Cultural Exchange
National Leaders Debate

Host Nation: The Syrixian Empire
Host World: Eras

The camera pans across the audience and to the centre of the auditorium as a voice over plays: "LIVE from the Golden Palace it's time for the National Leaders Debate"

Bharti Shailaja* a veteran of news media sits in front of the large audience at a small podium. As the camera pans down towards her, her smile shifts to a serious demeanour as she begins to address the known universe.

"Ladies and Gentlemen good evening; This is Bharti Shailaja, SNN News. Thank you for joining us for tonight's National Leaders Debate.

"Tonight's National Leaders Debate is hosted in Pataliputra, imperial capital of the Syrixian Empire.. Founded over two thousand years ago, and often aptly described as the apple of the Empire's eye, Pataliputra is also the Empire's largest city. We'd like to take this moment to thank His Majesty the Emperor, for hosting us at the Golden Palace here on stunning Elephant Island in the centre of Pataliputra.

image.jpg

"Tonight, we gather together the leaders of the nations of various worlds from across the known universe to answer your questions. As your leaders, whether they be anointed, elected, appointed, or imposed upon you by the powers that it be - it is they who are ultimately responsible for providing for their people and ensuring the stability of their nations. Your leaders stand before you. They are ready to face off, and if you closely follow the politics of the known world, you'd know that very well anything could happen here over the next few hours.

"This debate is airing on GBK networks in the Syrixan Empire and on affiliated networks across all known worlds..Now, I am sure that both our audience here, and our debaters are ready to get this debate well underway.

"But first, we will discuss the rules of tonight's debate. I will be the moderator. I will ask questions of the candidates. I will ask follow up questions where necessary. I will attempt to guide the discussion on matters of relevancy and remind our Leaders of the topics of discussion.

"Our goal for this evening is a debate. A debate where our leaders can come together and address one another on matters that they differ. Where our leaders will set forth their ideological and political principles and allow others to respond in-kind. Now. Let us begin.

"I will invite each leader to take 30 seconds to introduce himself or herself to our audience".

*Please note that the debate moderator character will be played by either myself or Prydania depending on who is available.

The Arc-Wonderess of Sutherland Nathan Jarreau rose first. He tried to hide his nervousness. Never before had he traveled anywhere past the continent of Meterra for official business. Remembering his duty to represent the people of The Sutherland Federation gave him the confidence he needed to introduce his people to the world.

"Good day to you all! It is truly an honor and blessing to be with you all here in this historic city of Pataliputra. I assure you that our nation's capitol of ArchCentre has some work to do to compete! I am Arc-Wonderess Nathan Jarreau of The Sutherland Federation and it is my hope that my staff and myself can learn about the wonderful cultures and innovations of each nation represented here. I know Sutherland is a small and young nation in comparison to nations such as The Syrixian Empire, but we have a point of view to offer just as every nation here does. I am looking forward to hearing every leader's point of view and I hope this same sentiment is shared by each leader. I believe my time is close to up so I will leave it there. God be with you."

The Arc-Wonderess hoped the other leaders were just as keen on listening as he hoped they were. He let that hope show on his face as he smiled somewhat naively at the crowd and cameras.

matthewgoode.jpg

Arc-Wonderess Jarreau's Official Portrait

Notboss Dragonking decides to stand up next, keeping hus wings folded in tightly so as not to smack anyone else next to or near him. He holds his claws together and looks up to everyone in a powerful and mighty look

"Hello all leaders who are here today. My name is Notboss Draginking, the king of Draconics. I am very delighted to be here today, joining with many leaders in this debate. I know my country is small and we tend to stay to ourselves, but we are very friendly and enjoy the company of others from different countries of Eras. I give you all a high royal thank you from me and Draconics for having me here today. I give the floor to the next leader who decides to stand and introduce themselves next. May there be Peace for All.

Notboss smiles to himself as he just came up with the words in his mouth. He takes a deep breath and relaxes his claws which seemed locked to each other tightly until now

The face of the king of Draconics, drawn by a younger lad who gave it to the king as a present:

His Majesty, Rajesh III, the Emperor of the Syrixian Empire, rose next. Rather than being nervous as Jarreau was, Rajesh was deeply excited. Leaders from across the universe itself and viewers from all worlds all had their eyes on the Empire. If there was a time for him to put his best foot forward, it was now.

Rajesh smiled and began to speak. "Hello, everyone; viewers from this world to the next! I am Rajesh, third of my name, Emperor of the Syrixian Empire. I would like to take this opportunity to state, on behalf of all the Empire's citizens, that it is a supreme honor to be the host nation of this debate. I look forward to discussing with all of you, as well as answering the questions given to us as best I can. I thank all the viewers at home and here at the Palace for watching this debate, a truly historic occasion in the history of not just this world, but all worlds."

Rajesh then clasped his hands together, closed his eyes, and bowed his head; the token Syrixian gesture of respect; and then smiled for the cameras as had Jarreau.

Jodhaa_Akbar_TV_review_Rajat_Tokas_rules.jpg

Rajesh III's Official Portrait

Anthony stood after Rajesh had finished speaking. Anthony and Rajesh were very good friends, having grown to a first name basis as a result of a political alliance between Goyanes and Syrixia some would describe as the "Special Relationship."

"Hello all, I am Anthony, Grand Emperor of the Imperial Goyanean Federation. I am honored to be here in this forum of debate and discussion here in Syrixia, and I hope constructive results come of it. Feel free to ask me any questions about myself, my government, or my nation, and I'll be happy to answer as best as I can."

He did a slight nod and smiled at the camera.

FELIPE-VI-RECORTADO-1024x745.jpg

Leah listened and nodded as the other leaders spoke. Today she wore her iconic dark blue dress suit and heels, and her blonde hair was cut to around her shoulders. When it came to her turn, she stood, and addressed the audience.

"I am Queen Leah of the House of Charles in Guslantis, and I am honored to be representing her and her people at this debate. Whether a monarch or a peasant, whether black or white, gay or straight, everyone deserves to be given the same opportunities to succeed. In Miragea, we've successfully launched a program to eliminate all gas-powered cars from our nation, in Carrotopolis, we've founded a technological giant, Thomas, and in Hogton, we've begun an effort to restore the city to its former glory. I can't wait to discuss how we are changing our nation, our continent, and beyond. Thank you."

She smiled, and then sat back down.

[img=200,300]https://i.imgur.com/Kw05KV0.jpg[/img]​

Behind the stage, Madeline, Claidie and Alice were deciding who amongst themselves who would go out on the stage, since it was only necessary that one of them attend. Neither of the princesses seemed anxious to appear and believed Madeline would put forth the best impression for the Principality. The discussion did not last long, and Madeline stepped out to take the Sil Dorsettian podium.
Madeline Ellison:
VAetIcE.png
"Thank you everyone for having us, and a great thank you to the Syrixian Empire for hosting today's event. I'm Madeline Ellison, the Prime Minister of the Principality of Sil Dorsett, and today I hope to accurately reflect not just my views, but instead the joint views of Princesses Claidie and Alice and myself. While we certainly have our differences, I believe I can speak to the dominant viewpoints while also providing insight into potential counterpoints. So, I hope to give well-rounded answers that resonate with everyone here tonight. To the viewers at home, I expect all of us gathered here to engage in a constructive conversation, hopefully put your minds at ease, and give you all confidence in your governments. Let's have a good one."
Madeline idly stood at the podium while she waited for other introductions to finish and for the debate to begin.

Jadzia did a short breathing exercise to help quiet the butterflies before walking out triumphantly to the podium. She had chosen to wear a simple outfit; a white blouse with a blue jacket, and a matching blue skirt.

“I’m very excited to be here,” she said, smiling at the crowd. “I am Jadzia, King of Arrandal. I rarely have a chance to travel outside of Arrandal and meet so many new people. I look forward to debating with all the fine leaders that are present here today. Today I represent my homeland and hope to make a good showing on my people’s behalf. Thank you all.”

She bowed to the audience, then bowed to the other leaders present.

X26A8D2.jpg

An... unexpected leader, to say the least came out onto the stage. It was the man, the legend- Oswald the Great. He seemed very confused by most of the things around him, including the microphone which he messed around with for a moment. A young man wearing a headset, possibly a technician, came out to help him briefly. Oswald nodded after being whispered too and finally spoke into the microphone. It was a strong, thick Andrennian accent but he was trying his best. Instead of wearing armor he was wearing a surprisingly well fitted, modern suit. Despite this he still had a seemingly anachronistic axe on his back, and what appeared to be a goat horn hanging from his hip.

"I would like to thank the... Syrixians for having us. I know this isn't a leader you expected to see but I am here anyways. I do not know what any of these nations involved are nor do I know any of these leaders but I am still excited to voice my answers to any questions you may have for me. I represent the Kingdom of Ande- I mean, the Constitutional Monarchy of Andrenne tonight, and I hope I represent them well. I apologize for any misunderstandings I may have, I'm not very familiar with most of the things around."

Oswald had no idea what a camera was or where it was so he just looked at the audience and gave his best smile before taking a seat next to one of the other Nords here, Anthony Kjellse-Tages of Goyanes, whom he had no idea was technically a distant relative.

R0PD3fT.jpg

Tobias was unable to give Oswald a sideways glance as he prepared to speak, collecting himself as he looked into the cameras with a calm smile.

"Greetings. My name is Tobias Scylfing Loðbrók..." he emphasized his family name as he paid Oswald another passing glance.
"...third of my name, King of Prydania. I would like to thank His Imperial Majesty Rajesh III and the Syrxian Empire for agreeing to host this monumental gathering. I hope to engage with all of you on the issues facing our worlds, as we come together in peace and goodwill. For the sake of the people who we govern, and for sake of each other. Our common goal, regardless of our multitude of faiths and beliefs, is one of a better future. Where, perhaps, old rivalries will give way to stronger partnerships"

[img=432,324]https://i.imgur.com/GLCfJK2.png[/img]

Arthur scanned the room briefly, he was a child surrounded by those he could never aspire to be. He was almost paralysed with fear. Was he too young to fit into the debate? Would he be judged for being a survivor, not a ruler? Would… He told himself to stop overthinking, it would do no good. Absolutely none. In reality, Arthur was one of the strongest. Not in the power he held over people but in terms of resolve and sheer will to go on, few others had been forced to face the very worst life could throw at them and fight to stay alive each and every day or build a nation from crumbling buildings and the corpses of the innocent.

Arthur took a deep breath and stepped up.

“I..” Arthur attempted to speak but couldn’t through his swelling-up throat,
“I am Arthur Tatarov, the ‘King’ of Korova and its representative today. I, like many others here today, am highly excited to engage with the greater international community”

Arthur took a stressful breath.

“I most certainly look forward to being introduced to new viewpoints and perspectives, provided by my fellows here and concur with the Dorsettians in their hope for that this will be civil, and an overall good experience.”

image.png

Aozora Chiyumi, self-proclaimed Supreme Overlady of All Reallty, took a deep breath. Her purple eyes closed as she concentrated for a moment, reaffirming in her mind the goals of this event. She wished to gain insight into the ideology of others, whether they aligned with hers, and whether the continual arcane scarring of reality was of any concern to these people. No, no. Not “these people”. Can’t let things like that slip out in the middle of an inspiring speech. Her usual scythe was not in her hands, for this was no contest of physical strength. She retained her iconic red cloak, donning its hood, from which protruded two pieces of fabric resembling feline ears. An old obsession of hers, made less essential by the passing of time.

Was there much point in arguing? That analogy of an unstoppable force and an immovable object applied to most summits she’d been to. But this was a different world. A world she was about to step into. None of her Densetsu, those close associates of hers, were present, though she doubted the presence of the manic Gikochinai or masochistic Kurushimi would do her many favours regardless. This was her moment, in an unfamiliar universe. Was spacetime being damaged by her mere presence here? She hoped not. That would make her the very thing she fought against.

Stepping forward, she moved without remorse, the confident stride of a leader after victory. The cloak shifted position as she walked, revealing part the purple garments beneath. She was the Supreme Overlady of All Reality. Once a legendary tormentor and tyrant, now a protector of all she held dear. It would be easy to think of this like a war between ideologies. But that was the thinking that caused a lack of progress to begin with.

“I am Aozora Chiyumi, Supreme Overlady of All Reality, ultimate ruler of Kyoki Chudoku.” she declared. “Many of you may not know me- indeed, I’ve been informed the version of myself many of you would be aware of is rules a nation in endless civil war. Regardless, I come before you all not as a warrior or a destroyer, but merely to my own insight. It is an honour to be present here at all. I wish to be as civil as possible, since the opposite ends up in anarchy most of the time, but do note that I will defend my perspective as bluntly as necessary. With that said, I hope this goes well.”

She offered a nod, a show of respect in her eyes, though not as far as a bow. To do that would be to go too far for strangers she was yet to know. With that, she stood back down, hoping that perhaps they may be a victory in the name of order, or at very least a minimal number of people calling her a madwoman.

Realising that it was now her turn to speak, Amira firmly placed her glass of water down upon the podium. Looking out upon the crowd, the bright lights made it difficult, but not impossible to see the eager faces awaiting the debates. All the smiling and cheap laughter of prior speakers was strikingly odd to Amira. She did not find such characteristics to be outwardly trustworthy and thought the public here may well have thought the same. So without so much as a smile, and with a decided look of determination and focus she began to speak to the assembled crowd:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I am Amira, Queen Mother of the McMasterdonians. I appear before you today as the Regent and Representative of the Kingdom of McMasterdonia and the Prince Richard. I would like to extend my thanks to the His Majesty, Emperor Rajesh of the Syrixian Empire for hosting us today. The Emperor is a trusted friend of the McMasterdonians; as are his countrymen. I am pleased to be standing in this great hall once more.

"This is a unique opportunity that has never before been realised. Hundreds of national leaders from nations across many different worlds coming together in the halls of an ancient palace, to discuss the plans and visions we have for the future. While other speakers so far have taken the opportunity to allude to the decadence of these halls, I see only a proud and storied culture of a great nation. All nations that have achieved greatness have a degree of decadence and prestige about them. Through their achievements and contributions to the stories of the known worlds, they have amassed wealth and prosperity for their people at home. This has allowed nations to build these great monuments such as the Golden Palace that continue to stand till this day.

"I hope today that through this coming together of leaders and through the exchange of ideas and dialogue, that we may once more realise that through collaborative action we may collectively reach unparalleled heights of success and greatness without trampling on our own history or culture.

111.jpg

unknown.png

Once the National Leaders had the opportunity to introduce themselves the camera once more panned back to the host of the debate, Bharti Shailaja

Thank you to all of our leaders who have introduced themselves to the audience. We will now begin with our first question on the topic of the Environment.

In many nations today, the issue of Climate Change is dominating national headlines. What is your approach as Leader to this issue? Do you believe that alternative energy sources should replace fossil fuels in your nation?

“In terms of energy, Korova’s grid has fallen apart for one reason or another over the past few years and is almost unusable; reports claim it would be cheaper to replace the existing grid than to repair some sections of it.” Arthur responded before stopping momentarily, worrying what he was about to say was idiotic,

“I.. I want to work with the experts and professionals sent to us by our fellow nations and integrate green power into Korova’s revitalised power grid as soon as possible in order to - uh - combat pollution in Korova before it can be created.” he added to his original statement,

“In a way, this already answers the latter question. I absolutely want to replace fossil fuels with alternate sources, for example the sheer amount of mountains and coasts in Korova afford us a valuable opportunity to construct wind turbines both on and off-shore to maximise our yields and, in terms of solar, we can integrate this into reconstruction projects from the start as a result of the constantly lowering costs of these sources.”

“However, on the more controversial side, I would be amenable to the construction of nuclear facilities in Korova as an alternate way to produce power, rather than resorting to fossil, but a project so large would be unaffordable in Korova’s current state.”

It was only the first question and Arthur felt the sweat of nerves falling down the sides of his temple.

Anthony rose to answer the question.

"In the 1970s and 1980s, Goyanes embarked on a program to cut out almost all fossil fuels from our power production grid. We successfully managed to replace all rubbish-burning, coal-burning, wood-burning, or otherwise fossil fuel-consuming power plants from our inventory. Now, our power generation is provided by about 75% nuclear, and the remaining 25% comprise of mostly hydroelectric production, as well as wind and solar generation.

Mine and my father's governments over the years have been committed to ensuring the security and stability of these clean energy projects by providing government subsidy to help keep power bills low and assist in maintaining nuclear and power infrastructure to top-tier standards.

This clean source of energy has allowed us to minimize our carbon footprint, and vastly improves the air quality across the nation. We have also engaged in re-forestation projects with our brothers to the south, Gotmark, to help rebuild forests and have more CO2 extraction capacity. Many Goyanean cities also have trees all over the city, which not just provide for a beautiful aesthetic, but also help absorb CO2 emitted by internal combustion vehicles.

Eventually we hope that other nations can follow in reducing their carbon footprint over time, but we also will not pressure any nation into doing so, as we understand the financial constraints put on by such endeavors. Thank you."

Oswald had no idea what 90% of the terms said were. Regardless he went up there to try his best to understand and interpret this issue.

“I know not what climate change is. I know not what alternative fuel or fossil fuels are. But I do know that if the gods will it, who are we to defy them, as simple humans in our relatively small realm. To defy the gods is to disgrace them and to disgrace them is shameful. Whatever this climate change is, the gods must want it to happen and therefore my solution is to let the gods do what is necessary in their guidance. The only alternative would be to defy them, and unless they truly start acting with evil intents, that is truly shameful and in my opinion deserves a form of animal sacrifice to make up for it.”

Clearly he had no idea what he was talking about for a king from the 800s, but it was a surprisingly formal speech for a man of his caliber.

Rajesh rose next.

"Climate change has not affected the Empire to an alarming degree, but it must be acknowledged all the same, as it is still affecting the Empire, and indeed the world at large; and will certainly continue to do so." Rajesh said. "I can, however, say, that despite this, the Empire has still found it expedient to pursue renewable energy. Around the same time that the Goyaneans began to phase out their fossil fuels, we did so as well."

"Nuclear power is very important in the Empire, alongside renewable energy such as hydroelectric and solar power. More recently, the Empire has also been developing algae fuel, and has been ensuring that fuel companies in all their forms adhere to universal standards of ethical practices. The Empire is also committed to ensuring that its environment, especially its precious tropical forests, remains pristine and safe. Numerous Imperial Parks and Heritage Sites exist throughout the Empire, and the maintenance of these sites as well as the environment of the Empire at large are a great priority to us."

"The Empire is also committed to assisting its allies in the maintenance of their environments in any way needed, whether it be via financial aid and/or scientific cooperation."

The Kaiser, uninformed about the protocol, rises to answer the climate change question.

"The issue of climate change is real. Climate change exists, and it is brutal. Our environment is falling apart, plastic, fecal pollution, noise pollution, and, of course, air pollution. Even though my government has repeatedly introduced regulations to the climate change matter, we believe that a compromise is the only way we can... well, compromise. Regarding climate change, a group of sponsored scientists have agreed that climate change exists, but—it always have been. There have been many events similar to the predicted outcome of the continuous "changing of the climate", and there is nothing we can do. Even if we ban all activities regarding "changing" the climate, it will always come. Even if the ice melts, so what? It melted many thousand years ago. The only fear we have is the effects it has on humanity, but we completely disregard science. Anyone who says that this climate change dilemma will be destructive is very much... uninformed. The world always changes, and this is just another "business as usual" event in earth science. We fear that we will be destroyed by ice melting, but ice melted and ice returned for many times over the course of history. We cannot spend trillions in preventing climate change, since we are essentially trying to prevent science from happening. This climate change event is irreversable, so my answer would be: No, we are not having major efforts in stopping science from doing its thing. We will not have such efforts unless we have the resources. Regarding alternative energy though, if we can use both types of resources, then it can be productive. We have the resources. Or do we? Maybe we do not. If they [nations] give us more resources, maybe we can try to... I don't know, waste it all on random shenanigans trying to prevent science."

– Kaiser Joachim, after speaking, sits down, smiling and sipping a cup of coffee.

Taking the opportunity to say her piece on this important subject, The Queen Mother began to speak candidly about the situation as she saw it in McMasterdonia. "For the McMasterdonian people the concept of climate change and environmental security is inseparable from the broader concept of human security.

"By way of background, over the past 30 years, we have attempted to transition from the fossil fuels that dominated the McMasterdonian energy industry for many decades. This was met with open hostility by some members of the aristocratic establishment, by the private owners of these corporations, and indeed by members of the Royal Family. Nevertheless, we have persisted in this goal of an independent renewable energy policy for the Kingdom and it's territories. Our energy policy in the 1990's shifted significantly in favour of nuclear power, with over 20% of our energy sourced from nuclear energy by 1998.
Unfortunately, the outbreak of war in the Kingdom has meant that our energy facilities have fallen under attack or into disrepair. We were fortunately able to prevent access to nuclear material by terrorist groups and over the past 18 months we have made significant progress in regaining control of these key areas and restoring full access to the grid for all McMasterdonian communities. We have expanded into wind, hydrothermal, and solar power. Nonetheless our energy supply still predominantly relies upon fossil fuels.

Climate change is a significant issue that must be collectively addressed for it to be handled appropriately. However until all of my people have the opportunity to send their children to school, to find meaningful employment, and to enjoy their lives without fear of attack from Flemingovian terrorist activities, it cannot be a primary priority for my government. Until we have addressed wider factors of human security within our borders; including economic, food, health, personal, community and political security we will have a limited ability to address additional concerns relating to the environment and climate change.

Rising quickly to follow McMasterdonia, the Arc-Wonderess begins to speak.

"I fully agree with my neighbor to the south, The Queen Mother. All citizens must be secure and be able to thrive, however to assure these things must also include protecting our natural world which is so beautiful. It is our job as stewards of our worlds to preserve it even if we exploit our lands for the good of our people. I think we can all agree that the good of the citizenry comes first, but through the collaboration and ingenuity of our peoples (and dragons), we can work toward a better society and a better care for the planet. This is why the dominions of Sutherland have placed a focus on renewable energy depending on their geography. One benefit of creating a nation anew is learning from the mistakes of history as to form a better united and functioning state. This include our environmental goals. For example, Herands which is one of our more developed dominions in the east of Sutherland has began scouting in the nearby mountains for streams that are of a sufficient current to generate hydropower in the future. We have begun installing windmill farms in Archavalon for its excellent wind current coming off the coast. I know there will be challenges ahead, but I know my people are up for it as long as we have faith in our values, our community, and the potential good of Sutherland. Thank you for your time."

August broke into the doors of the grand hall, huffing. Dammit, I'm late again!, he thought. I'm not about to be barred from participating again! Candid memories of the Strangereal summit, where he was stopped from participating because of his two hour's lateness. He tripped on a door frame, and slid, suit first, into the hall as the Arc-Wonderess was wrapping up her speech. He stepped up, face red from the floor burn, and tilted his head back to yell "Well, everybody. Wasn't that a nice in-trip-duction!" Small chuckles came from those across the hall. "Are they laughing with me, or at me?" He walked around to his place on the table, plopping himself down in the seat. He brought about his bag, loosely hanging from his side, and undid the rope securing it. A tsunami of papers spilled out on to the desk, and August swiveled his head around, his hands moving furiously to clean it up.

"Ah, well, if you'd allow me to speak, everyone, I have something to say." He grabbed a paper from the middle of the stack and began to read.

"To begin my remarks, thank you for allowing me into this grand hall. I am honored to be here, in Pat-pat-pat-patal..." He shook his head and apologized. "Sorry, I stutter, from time to time. My name is August Johnson, Prime Minister of the South Falls. We are a... dark horse nation, that not many of you know about. Our nation is called The South Falls. It has been around for 34 and 3/4 years, and we mainly are peaceful people. I hope that a discourse of positivity and support prevails here."

"I agree with those who believe that the preservation of the natural world is just as important as the furthering of the citizenry. I would believe that the natural world is extremely important to preserve, as, without the natural world, there is no industry, no military, no citizenry. The environmental goals of our forefathers should be carried into the future, and I applaud the operations of Herands, as benefitting to our environment, and therefore our citizens In the South Falls, recently, just last year, fossil fuels were finally used up. It made nothing but a drop into the ocean of energy, as the South Falls had disowned the emissions of coal, and oil.

The entire nation runs off the wind farms in East Vitliz, one of our eastern-most provinces. I would think that the furthering of renewable energy is directly related to the blossoming of the nation, truly into the information age. There are, and will always be challenging issues, to again echo the Arc-Wonderess. We must all be up for it, not just for our nation, but for the good of eras, and Strangereal. Thank you all for allowing me, and hello, Patalipura!" He stepped down and packed up his papers into an orderly pile.

Seeing the heatedness of the disagreements, the Sutherland Arc-Wonderess spoke up once more.

"It is necessary that we all work together on this issue. How can one nation work contrary to another when environmental concerns affect many nations at once like in the pollution of shared waters or exploitation of petroleum reserves near national borders. We cannot afford to see environmental concerns as a concern of each nation but as an issue that must be addressed collaboratively and diplomatically. Only then can such a discussion be fruitful. I ask you all, who here wishes to aid in the creation of a future that is good for all of our citizens! I do hope it is each one of us."

It was Jarreau's hope that such a question would create consensus in the betterment of all nations and environments just as the will of God called for.

Aozora Chiyumi stood. This wasn’t a matter she’d been especially hoping to discuss. It wasn’t all that important to her. The world was dying a much faster death at the hands of arcane abuse, tears in reality and endless conflict than it was to any kind of environmental concerns. It wasn’t as though she many options anyway. Wind was unreliable and a weak source of power, nuclear power was expensive enough for a submarine, let alone a nation, and even hydroelectric power could be frustrating to work with.

“Kyoki Chudoku is a self-sufficient nation.” she proclaimed. “We can only depend on what resources we ourselves can collect. Now, I don’t know about you. Maybe you don’t face the same issues I do. But I regularly have to deal with some complete idiot looking at the history of the world, knowing about all the times arcane experiments have backfired horribly, and deciding they’ll be the exception. If you think global warming is bad for the environment, tears in reality are far worse for all involved. War, too, is a major threat. War machines need power, and it turns out oil’s about the only reliable thing for that as well. I don’t think solar-powered tanks are exactly viable. We burn coal, oil, gas, biomatter and other waste we don’t need. You can get use out of garbage and even traitors that way. And I’m far more afraid of nuclear winter than I am of a slowly warming summer. There are far more major issues, and they’re not going to sit around and do nothing while I try replace my entire power infrastructure. Since I place the survival of my nation and indeed the entire world above preventing it from heating up a little, I think trying to use “alternative energy” is an idiotic proposal that endangers far more than it hopes to protect.”

Slightly Later

Ah. So they don’t have to deal with this as much as I do. I don’t know whether to be glad or jealous. “Yes. The end of result of people trying to gain arcane power half the time. They lead...anywhere, really. A void. Another dimension. The things are frustrating, believe me. Especially when they just show up out of nowhere...” She sighed, trying to avoid ranting too much about the issue. “Basically, the fabric of the world gets torn apart. They usually fix themselves but some people deliberately keep them going, usually when something’s trying to get through from the other side. Like say, an army. Of abominations. Trying to conquer a country. If you don’t have to deal with these problems, consider yourself fortunate. But, sadly, I have to handle these accursed issues all the time.”

She then turned to the Yukkiran rebel. Remember, these aren’t the ones from my world. They aren’t the ones who tried to attack...but seriously? Supreme Overlord? Never a good sign... “A witch? Some say so. Often as an insult. I am capable of the arcane, yes. As are others in my nation and many others in my world. Now...oh great, I’ve strayed off-took haven’t I? Sorry. Should’ve known this would happen...”

Tobias looked at Aozora and shook his head

"A slowly warming summer is one thing, and perhaps if climate change was the only thing we had to fear from using fossil fuels we would all learn to adapt. The problem, sadly, is that these fuel sources are doing more than just warming our environment. They are degrading it."

"They are also finite. And I am not interested in leading my nation down that path. Nuclear power and tidal energy- using some of the very forces our ancestors used to travel to the land they would build Prydania on- offer us so much more. I am afraid I don't see the effects of arcane magic in Prydania. That sort of trade hasn't been plied centuries upon centuries. The real threat to our environment and our future is our dependence on coal. It's a bad habit we have to kick."

Madeline waited patiently for others to talk so she could gauge expectations, before seeing an opening and realizing there was something she could add.

"I'm pleased to see that efforts have been made almost everywhere to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, and The Principality is no different. I could reiterate points that have already been made about switching power plants from dirty sources such as coal and oil, but there's one point I want to make that is slightly different that leads into what we do.

"To us, it's not just government mandates, but about getting our citizens interested and invested in alternate energy sources, demonstrating its practicality and displaying the development work that is being done. This is why the government subsidizes and supports a national electric motorsport series, not only to get people excited for what the future brings but also to provide that development platform for manufacturers to improve on battery density and motor efficiency.

"Our goal is not to end petrol vehicle usage because of an arbitrary mandate that does not consider the maturity of its replacement, but to gradually phase it out because we will have something better."

Bharti Shailaja could sense that things were getting out of hand...

Thank you, thank you all for this lively debate. I must stress that we all focus on the matter at hand, but I am pleased to see such...passionate...exchanges. Let us move on, though, as I feel we have all thoroughly explored the question at hand. Let us continue.

Do you believe it is the responsibility of National Government to provide rebates and subsidies to lower-income families to allow them to access alternative energy sources for their homes? What about for electric cars that are proving too expensive for low to medium income households?

4Na4V66.png

"I have begun to believe that the course forward is neither socialism or communism. We will not return to the disastrous reign of centralized economic planning that saw Syndicalists push an agricultural nation to the brink of starvation. And yet we cannot let Prydania be plundered."

"It's partially for that reason that the Prydanian government remains committed to alternative energy sources and will do what it can to help even the poorest among its citizenry access it. We believe we can engage in this economic experimentation without drifting back into the tyranny of socialism."

The Arc-Wonderess spoke next.

"Our Courantist faith teaches us to ensure the wellbeing of the least among us. Therefore, the communities that make up Sutherland always provide humanitarian services to those who not as well off as the average citizen. We do not advocate for forced redistribution of wealth, but the dominions of Sutherland call for the people to give what they can in order to serve the poor. Subsidizing environmentally friendly vehicles are not relevant to that assurance. The job skills and temporary shelters provide a foundation for the poor to earn a living and then purchase a mode of transit. Food, shelter, and skills for success are the concerns of Sutherland's dominions and anything beyond that shall be provided through the work of the individual. We do have a vehicle plant in Yarlboro and many workers who have gone through our programs there are employed by the plant. It is exciting when those workers through dedicated time and hard work are able to build a car that they can call their own. The process is more important than the giving of some product such as an environmentally friendly car. This is why the dominions would never use valuable funds used to ensure the basic needs are met are reallocated to pay for expensive cars."

The question wasn't too much different than what Madeline just answered, but it provided a chance to add onto the first answer.

"Since our power grid is already clean for the most part, we don't necessarily see the need for subsidies and rebates as it wouldn't make that much of a difference. The same goes with electric vehicles, but for a different reason. The money has to come from somewhere, whether it be a new tax or adjustment from some part of the budget. It would be a short term fix for us to subsidize outright purchases. Instead, with the electric motorsport series I mentioned before being a subsidized development platform, the technology will mature at a faster pace and become cheaper so that eventually all will have access."

She turned to Tobias, smiled back and winked, acknowledging their joint efforts.

Tobias then nodded at Madeline

"I hope that continued cooperation between our nations will lead to an increase in the popularity of electric vehicles in Prydania."

Anthony stood.

"I have to agree with Madeline. The Goyanean grid is already clean, and subsidizing such efforts will be useless. Providing subsidies for the purchase of electric vehicles is also useless. The free market will decide how electric vehicles will play out, and the free market has already done a good job in reducing the price of electric vehicles. An electric sedan now costs about the same as a midsize of comparable role, making it very accessible to the average consumer in Goyanes. The free market will work as intended, and as the technology matures, prices will drop."

“Time for a follow up question. Many of you have mentioned your various alliances and treaties that are important to your security and place in the world.

Would you take the view that an international climate agreement that included targets on reduction of emissions and on renewable energy goals would be beneficial to your nation and the community at large? If not, why?

Security was a subject Madeline was entirely uncomfortable with, and she struggled to come up with her answer.

"To Sil Dorsettians, there is no distinction between terrorism and crime. A terrorist bombing that kills dozens is a mass murder, and the methods use to prevent them are no different than the available methods to prevent crimes. We rely on informants and tips to get the jump on criminals, but we understand that sometimes there just isn't information to go around. This does not mean that we will start wiretapping and monitor every citizen to try to catch the bad actors. The people have the right to go about their lives without the government peering into everything they do."

Already feeling disappointed with her answer, she stepped back from the microphone and let someone else speak.

The Arc-Wonderess rose deliberately ready to tackle the topic at hand.

"Sutherland knows first hand the hardship of internal conflict within a nation that is divided by factions and radical views. I am looking forward to hearing the McMasterdonian response. The radical, Gunrei, through his extremist religious views has tried to take the nation of McMasterdonia by force, and the Courantist people decided it was time to assure peace for their number by becoming a sovereign entity that is Sutherland today. We have seen first hand the atrocities committed and we tolerate no act of terrorism from anyone towards anyone. Sutherland will work with all nations to assure this by sharing intelligence data, returning such terrorists found in Sutherland to their aggressors, and working with amicable nations to remove such forces abroad. However, Sutherland stops at the line that preemptively prevents terrorist attacks through house searching, information searching, or national surveillance policies. We also shall not execute any person who commits a terrorist act. They shall instead have their whole lives to contemplate their actions in hope of a conversion in the wilderness of the Territory of Thane where our life imprisonment facilities encourage contemplation through silent reflection, Courantist study, and dignified work on farms where they can learn to create life instead of destroy it. I know anger can get the better of us, but if we truly want to remove radical action from our societies, we must be strict, but merciful to those who have armed others. I hope my fellow leaders can understand our point of view. Thank you."

"Arc-Wonderess," Madeline interrupted, "with all respect, wars are often fought over religion, and reinforcing the teachings of what others may consider heretical may only lead to deeper radicalization and hostility, making it unlikely that the person will respond to further rehabilitation efforts. Does your government have a contingency plan for when such an event occurs and a prisoner becomes disruptive or even destructive?"

Anthony stood to answer once again.

"I am of the opinion that enforcing climate quotas via alliances is none of our business. We will provide encouragement for such endeavors, but we feel that it is not our responsibility to forcefully push other nations toward these goals. The PGU is not about this, and I am sure its members will not tolerate such activities either."

Prydania:
Bharti Shailaja could sense that things were getting out of hand...

Thank you, thank you all for this lively debate. I must stress that we all focus on the matter at hand, but I am pleased to see such...passionate...exchanges. Let us move on, though, as I feel we have all thoroughly explored the question at hand. Let us continue.

Do you believe it is the responsibility of National Government to provide rebates and subsidies to lower-income families to allow them to access alternative energy sources for their homes? What about for electric cars that are proving too expensive for low to medium income households?

4Na4V66.png
The Kaiser rises, eliciting applause from some of his staff.

"I am not willing to take minutes away from all of you, so my answer would be: No, it is not our responsibility. If the private sector makes electric vehicles, we can impose regulations allowing the ordinary household to buy or own a modern and eco-friendly car. Nonetheless, we don't care if the companies don't do it, since a car is a car. If it runs on fuel, it runs. We can't regulate what type of cars they sell, but price regulations are imposable. We can't subsidize the ordinary family so they can access alternative energy; that's the responsibility of private and state-owned corporations. If the alternative energy sources are too expensive for them to afford, we can't do anything except tell these damned corporations or companies or whatever, to be soft on the prices. We can't order them to provide everybody an affordable source of alternative energy. Doing that can cause economic problems for us. Nonetheless, if we can explore our current and alternative sources of energy more efficiently, then it's a win-win for the people."

– The Kaiser sits down, pulling out his phone.

Sil Dorsett:
"Arc-Wonderess," Madeline interrupted, "with all respect, wars are often fought over religion, and reinforcing the teachings of what others may consider heretical may only lead to deeper radicalization and hostility, making it unlikely that the person will respond to further rehabilitation efforts. Does your government have a contingency plan for when such an event occurs and a prisoner becomes disruptive or even destructive?"
"You are absolutely correct, Prime Minister. Such occasions do arise. If someone in our custody shows aggressive behavior or even makes any move toward harming the self or another, they must not be allowed to harm others plain and simple. This individual would be confined to a cell, but would have access to a priest and a psychologist. On the subject of religion, I believe that any faith can be construed to rationalize any action by a nation or government including one that supports state atheism. The faith that we Sutherlands practice always puts the person, the individual first. Therefore, we do not have any conscience to 'wage a holy war' or 'spread our values through imperialism.' We desire only peace and the ability and opportunity for faithfulness to be given to every soul that resides within Sutherland's borders. That offer is always there whether imprisoned or free. Killing of an inmate is only allowed by law if the inmate is about to kill another person. If it is the sole available option, then it is allowed to save the innocent. This is the only case when such extreme action is warranted."

mcmasterdonia:
“Time for a follow up question. Many of you have mentioned your various alliances and treaties that are important to your security and place in the world.

Would you take the view that an international climate agreement that included targets on reduction of emissions and on renewable energy goals would be beneficial to your nation and the community at large? If not, why?
Kaiser Joachim rises, clearly annoyed.

"International climatea agreements? Bollocks! Such agreements will steal our money, preventing prosperity and economic greatness from touching our great land. I thoroughly disagree. Such agreement must not exist! It will only make us waste money in trying to prevent a scientific event from taking place! If a climate agreement will never solve such inevitable travesty! No to these damned agreements!"

– The Kaiser sits down, doing :facepalm:

Back