Freedom from Manumission Bill

SillyString

TNPer
-
-
Happy Manumission Day, y'all! To mark this auspicious holiday, I have here a draft bill that will keep us from ever having to celebrate it in the future.

:tnp: :tnp: :tnp:

Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit. :P What this really does is rework our structure of holidays. I've separated our current ones into fun days that we actively celebrate, and historical days that we remember for what they signify. I've chosen to do this because it's very hard for us to come up with good celebration ideas for the more somber holidays, or ideas that are sufficiently different for similar days. But at the same time, I didn't want us to lose institutional knowledge of our history by forgetting the dates of significant events.

I've inserted a clause that allows the delegate to proclaim additional one-time celebrations, and this could be used for anything! "Coup Day" or "TSP-TNP Friendship Day" or "McMasterdonia Day" or really anything you can think of. I think this will be some additional fun for the culture ministry, especially if it has ideas for celebrations that don't really fit with our current holidays, or wouldn't work as a recurring event every year.

Finally, I've included in the law the way Memorial Days will be recognized. It mandates that non-essential government business be halted for the day, and in particular that RA votes must be temporarily closed and then extended. This practice used to be observed by the Speaker's office but is no longer, and I think it would be nice to formalize it in law. :)

So, without further ado, here's the bill! I have not marked it up as it completely changes that whole section of the law.

Chapter 10, Section 2 of the legal code is deleted, and the following text is inserted in its place:
Section 10.2: Celebration Days
7. Flag Day will be observed on the twenty-sixth of April, to commemorate the adoption of the flag of The North Pacific.
8. Democracy Day will be observed on the seventh of July, to recognizes the day the Constitution was ratified, and honor the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Legal Code of The North Pacific.
9. Delegates' Day will be observed on the ninth of September, to acknowledge the hard work of delegates past and present and praise their great contributions to the region.
10. NationStates Day will be observed on the thirteenth of November, to celebrate the establishment of NationStates and provide an opportunity to extend fellowship throughout the NationStates communities.
11. Celebration Days may be observed by regional events, festivals, games, contests, or other activities designed to evoke the spirit of the holiday.
12. The Delegate may proclaim additional one-time Celebration Days during the year as desired.

Section 10.3: Memorial Days
13. Manumission Day will be observed on the twenty-sixth of May. It marks the end of the delegacy of Pixiedance and the return of democratic government to The North Pacific.
14. Liberation Day will be observed on the twenty-eighth of July. It marks the overthrow of Great Bight and the return of native government to The North Pacific.
15. Blue Day will be observed on the twenty-third of November. It marks the establishment of the first official forum of The North Pacific.
16. Memorial Days preserve and honor the memory of important historical events. They will be observed by a temporary halt to non-essential government business. Any open votes in the Regional Assembly must be temporarily closed for twenty-four hours, and their length must be extended by the same amount of time it was closed.

Key questions:

1. Do people prefer Celebration Days or Festival Days, and Memorial Days or Remembrance Days? I can't decide.

2. What other dates, if any, should we add to 10.3? Toss out your suggestions!

I like the idea SillyString and I think it would really help the Culture ministry, my preference is Celebration Days and Remembrance days, memorial days to me sounds too somber

I love the idea! This should be a big boost to Culture, as well as a great way of introducing our history to newer members and reminding veterans of our roots. My take on the terminology is Festival and Memorial days, respectively.

I also like Festival and Memorial as terms. I think it is good that we bring structure to the region's celebrations. I support this all the way.

I also prefer Festival and Memorial as terms. The only change I would make is to include Remembrance Day in section 10.3 on January 1st, as it is currently observed.

I was going to say Festival and Remembrance, but if there is a Remembrance Day than I guess Memorial is fine.

I support this regardless.

Well, if we wanted to keep "Remembrance Days" as a category, we could potentially just rename the holiday "Memorial Day." What's funny is that it falls close to the national holiday by the same name in the US.

EDIT: Alternatives, to avoid confusion, might include "Ex-Nation Day" or "Boneyard Day."

Crushing Our Enemies:
Well, if we wanted to keep "Remembrance Days" as a category, we could potentially just rename the holiday "Memorial Day." What's funny is that it falls close to the national holiday by the same name in the US.

EDIT: Alternatives, to avoid confusion, might include "Ex-Nation Day" or "Boneyard Day."
I like the sound of Boneyard Day

I move this to a vote with the names being Festival Days and Remembrance Days

Standing Procedures:
3. The citizen who introduced the proposal may call for a vote by posting "motion to vote", or a functional equivalent in the thread.
Therefore in this case, SillyString will have to motion to vote.

Sorry for the long delay on this! Here is an updated draft. It sounds like the consensus is to call them Festival Days and Memorial Days, so I've done that. I've also added in Remembrance Day.

Chapter 10, Section 2 of the legal code is deleted, and the following text is inserted in its place:
Section 10.2: Festival Days
7. Flag Day will be observed on the twenty-sixth of April, to commemorate the adoption of the flag of The North Pacific.
8. Democracy Day will be observed on the seventh of July, to recognizes the day the Constitution was ratified, and honor the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Legal Code of The North Pacific.
9. Delegates' Day will be observed on the ninth of September, to acknowledge the hard work of delegates past and present and praise their great contributions to the region.
10. NationStates Day will be observed on the thirteenth of November, to celebrate the establishment of NationStates and provide an opportunity to extend fellowship throughout the NationStates communities.
11. Festival Days may be observed by regional events, fairs, games, contests, or other activities designed to evoke the spirit of the holiday.
12. The Delegate may proclaim additional one-time Festival Days during the year as desired.

13. Remembrance Day will be observed on the first of January. It provides an occasion to remember those players who have left the region and the game of NationStates.
13. Manumission Day will be observed on the twenty-sixth of May. It marks the end of the delegacy of Pixiedance and the return of democratic government to The North Pacific.
14. Liberation Day will be observed on the twenty-eighth of July. It marks the overthrow of Great Bight and the return of native government to The North Pacific.
15. Blue Day will be observed on the twenty-third of November. It marks the establishment of the first official forum of The North Pacific.
16. Memorial Days preserve and honor the memory of important historical events. They will be observed by a temporary halt to non-essential government business. Any open votes in the Regional Assembly must be temporarily closed for twenty-four hours, and their length must be extended by the same amount of time they were closed.

I motion this bill to Formal Debate. If anybody wants more Memorial Days to be declared, now's the time to say so.

Apologies for the delay,

The motion is recognized and formal debate is in session for 5 days.

I like this idea, and think it will provide more avenues for creativity within the Ministry of Culture.
One quick thing - there is a typo here. I believe it should read: 8. Democracy Day will be observed on the seventh of July, and recognizes the day the Constitution was ratified, and honor the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Legal Code of The North Pacific. Correct me if I'm wrong. Alternatively, one could say to recognize, leaving recognize without the -s.

In response to your questions:
1. I like Celebration and Remembrance Days. (but do not feel strongly)
2. I do not have further dates to add.

Oh my. It looks like formal debate is over so...

Formal debate is now over. A vote has been scheduled to take place in 2 days from now.

Drat. Good catch, Fiji.

I request the speaker cancel the scheduled vote.

I motion the following bill to vote, and request that Formal Debate be skipped.

Section 10.2: Festival Days
8. Democracy Day will be observed on the seventh of July, to recognize the day the Constitution was ratified and honor the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Legal Code of The North Pacific.
11. Festival Days may be observed by regional events, fairs, games, contests, or other activities designed to evoke the spirit of the holiday.
12. The Delegate may proclaim additional one-time Festival Days during the year as desired.

13. Remembrance Day will be observed on the first of January. It provides an occasion to remember those players who have left the region and the game of NationStates.
16. Memorial Days preserve and honor the memory of important historical events. They will be observed by a temporary halt to non-essential government business. Any open votes in the Regional Assembly must be temporarily closed for twenty-four hours, and their length must be extended by the same amount of time they were closed.

Thank you, SillyString, for your request. As this matter falls within my discretion, I accept your request to cancel the vote. However, I don't see a need to deviate from the normal rules, so deny your request to immediately vote on the revised bill without a period of formal debate. I will however, shorten the period of formal debate to two days. As such, you have 2 days of formal debate on the revised version of the bill, after which a vote will be scheduled. I suggest that you (though it isn't required) edit the original post to match this revised version.

My apologies, I misread that.

Regardless, the formal debate period is now over. A vote on this has been scheduled to take place in 2 days from now.

Back