Esplandia

Factbook Addict
-
TNP Nation
Esplandia
Discord
esplandia
Species Proposal: Vampires

Since Arietti (aka Aloeverulla) wants vampires in his nation, and Arrandal also has vampires I felt it was best to submit a proposal for their addition. This will also lay out their origins and differences between them, and the IC reasons why that is.

Arrandal’s Vampires
Arrandal’s vampires are immortal. They feed on human blood to sustain themselves. During night, after the sun has set, they become quicker and stronger than your average human. Between two and three times quicker than humans. Daylight doesn’t kill them, but it does weaken them. Long time direct exposure to sunlight can weaken them into a coma like state (they’ll return to normal once night falls), but indirect sunlight just makes them as strong and fast as an average person.

There is no difference in appearance between a vampire and a regular human which allows the vampires to blend in with the populace. They must consume blood and can’t go for extended periods of time without it. Two weeks without blood will cause them to fall into a coma like state but giving them blood intravenously will resuscitate them.

Arrandalian vampires can only pass on vampirism to a willing recipient. If a person is willing to accept vampirism he just needs to be bit by another vampire who is also willing to pass on vampirism. Mutual reciprocity is very important. To kill an Arrandalian vampire you must either remove the head or remove the heart. Incineration is also effective and is usually used in addition to one of the first two ways of killing them.

Aloeverulla’s Vampires
Aloeverullian Vampires are not immortal (the biggest difference between the two vampire strains) and are simply just humans who require blood to survive. Only human blood will do. Due to the high amounts of iron in their blood this has lead them to have bronze colorization of the skin, a visual cue that sets them apart from regular humans. They have the same average strengths and weaknesses as humans. They do have heightened sensory perception via their tactile, auditory, and visual senses.

This Vampiric strain allows Aloeverullian vampires to reproduce through normal means; they can have children. Unlike their Arrandalian counterparts.

Origins
The origins of vampirism lie in myth and legend. What is known is that there were a handful of vampires who were first granted vampirism and are known as Elder Vampires. In Arrandal it is believed they were given Vampirism by the old god Nedzgrubal.

Each of these elder vampires passed on their own strain of vampirism creating bloodlines of different types of vampires. Each elder’s ‘bloodline’ are different in varying ways with different strengths and weaknesses. This accounts for the differences between the two strains (and will also leave room for any ‘new’ vampires that RPers might add in the future and will proactively explain in differences). Arrandalian and Aloeverullian Vampires are just descended from a different elder vampire.

(I worked this out with Arietti and submit this on his behalf as well as mine)

This is just me confirming that Esplandia wrote this for my behalf as well as theirs

This is just me confirming that Esplandia wrote this for my behalf as well as theirs

Esp, I know this is a huge risk given that previously the vampires were grandfathered in to before the Conclave's existence. But, now that it's up for debate, I have to say that this doesn't seem to be a species proposal as it is a affliction proposal. Would you consider that correct? Whether yes or no, can you come up with a reason for two different but similar disease strains arising far apart from each other, given Arrandal is on Craviter and Aloeverulla is (expected to be) on Kian?

Sil Dorsett:
Esp, I know this is a huge risk given that previously the vampires were grandfathered in to before the Conclave's existence. But, now that it's up for debate, I have to say that this doesn't seem to be a species proposal as it is a affliction proposal. Would you consider that correct? Whether yes or no, can you come up with a reason for two different but similar disease strains arising far apart from each other, given Arrandal is on Craviter and Aloeverulla is (expected to be) on Kian?
No it’s a species proposal, not an affliction proposal. Especially when looking at Arietti’s vampires. Plus Arrandalian vampirism can only be passed on with consent, which throws the affliction thing out the window.

And we already came up with a reason for why two different types of vampires exist. They originated in the same place via the elder vampires, and spread to different locations through them. The different strains are just the result of the different elder vampires. I don’t have any specifics for the mechanics of this and I’m purposely leaving it vague to allow for some flexibility. I feel making a “scientific” reason for this would be harder to explain the differences and I don’t want to force Arietti to chose my particular form of vampires or vice versa.

No it’s a species proposal, not an affliction proposal. Especially when looking at Arietti’s vampires. Plus Arrandalian vampirism can only be passed on with consent, which throws the affliction thing out the window.

And we already came up with a reason for why two different types of vampires exist. They originated in the same place via the elder vampires, and spread to different locations through them. The different strains are just the result of the different elder vampires. I don’t have any specifics for the mechanics of this and I’m purposely leaving it vague to allow for some flexibility. I feel making a “scientific” reason for this would be harder to explain the differences and I don’t want to force Arietti to chose my particular form of vampires or vice versa.

For Aloeverullian vampires, maybe "mutation" would classify it better, given how similar they are to humans and the fact that they can reproduce. Question though: can Aloeverullian vampirism be transmitted from vampire to victim, or is conceiving a child the only mechanism for reproduction?

For Arrandalian vampires, the closest parallel I see, if we were classifying it as a species, is the Borg from Star Trek. In both cases, something is being transmitted to the recipient to cause the transformation. In the case of the Borg, nanoprobes are transmitted to the victim to seize all biological functions and begin constructing all the mechanical implants. How would you describe what is going on in the case your vampires?

I'm not really concerned about the origin of both strains. I'm starting to see it more as a mutation, with Aloeverullian being a minor mutation while Arrandalian is a major divergence.

Mod Note: As a reminder, the only people that should be posting in here are Esplandia, Arietti, and members of the RP Conclave. All others will be hidden.

For Aloeverullian vampires, maybe "mutation" would classify it better, given how similar they are to humans and the fact that they can reproduce. Question though: can Aloeverullian vampirism be transmitted from vampire to victim, or is conceiving a child the only mechanism for reproduction?

I’ll let Arietti Answer that, but I believe it’s only passed on genetically.

For Arrandalian vampires, the closest parallel I see, if we were classifying it as a species, is the Borg from Star Trek. In both cases, something is being transmitted to the recipient to cause the transformation. In the case of the Borg, nanoprobes are transmitted to the victim to seize all biological functions and begin constructing all the mechanical implants. How would you describe what is going on in the case your vampires?

I’m not sure how you’re getting Borg. Or for that matter why you’re trying to compare it with them. My interest in having Vampires in my nation is to use their presence to explore social and political themes, and how they would affect the nation, it’s culture, and peoples psyche. I don’t really care about the science behind it. My only aim as far as explaining how it works is only to create consistency and give the vampires strengths and weaknesses of their own. Yet another thing I want to explore.

Arietti of course would have to explain her own reasoning for wanting vampires.

I'm not really concerned about the origin of both strains. I'm starting to see it more as a mutation, with Aloeverullian being a minor mutation while Arrandalian is a major divergence.

Which is what we were going for

Sil Dorsett:

Mod Note: As a reminder, the only people that should be posting in here are Esplandia, Arietti, and members of the RP Conclave. All others will be hidden.

Yes, the mutation of Aloeverulic vampires would be purely genetic- passed on through reproduction only. Apologies for my late response.

Back