Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Deropia
Discord
Dero#2736
mowa_seal.png
World Assembly Sponsorship Program - Ministry Leadership Votes

This thread will be used to conduct votes by Ministry leadership regarding the acceptance of proposals to the sponsorship program.
***Do not post to this thread unless you are a the Minister of World Assembly Affairs or one of their Deputy Ministers***

Ministry of World Assembly Affairs Leadership voting record
January 2018 term
Proposal name and author​
[c]
Deropia​
[c]
Tlomz​
[c]
BMWSurfer​
[c]
Stoskavanya​
[c]
Protecting Minority Languages, by Stoskavanya​
[c]
Aye​
[c]
Aye​
[c]
Aye​
[c]
-​
[c]
Right to Paid Parental Leave, by Edrarin​
[c]
-​
[c]
-​
[c]
Nay​
[c]
-​
[c]
Repeal GA#417: Restrictions on Hydraulic Fracturing, by Veniyerris (BMWSurfer)​
[c]
Aye​
[c]
Aye​
[c]
Recused​
[c]
Aye​

May 2018 term
Proposal Name and Author​
[c]
Ghost​
[c]
Tlomz​
[c]
Stoskavanya​
[c]
BMWSurfer​
[c]
Protections on Open Water Acidification, by Limerick1​
[c]
Nay​
[c]
-​
[c]
Nay​
[c]
-​

August 2018 partial term
Proposal Name and Author​
[c]
Sil Dorsett​
[c]
Tlomz​
[c]
Stoskavanya​
[c]
BMWSurfer​
[c]
On the Safety of Minors Online, by Castle Federation (Wonderess)​
[c][c][c][c]

The Minister and all Deputy Ministers must vote Aye to move the application onto the next stage, Ministry voting. Should the Minister or one of their Deputy Ministers be the author of a proposal that is being considered for sponsorship, only the other leadership votes are counted.

A dash underneath a persons name in the table indicates that no vote was cast, either due to the person being absent (such as a DM that was appointed mid-term) or a nay vote being cast, ending voting early. A recuse means that the person will not be counted in the vote at all, and that the remaining leadership voting aye is sufficient to pass the application.

For record keeping purposes, a new table should be created with each new term.

Voting is now open regarding the following application:
WA Nation: Stoskavanya
Proposal Title:Protecting Minority Languages
Council: General Assembly
Proposal Category: Education and Creativity | Cultural Heritage
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=433394
Proposal Summary: "Protecting Minority Language" has two focuses; a primary focus on protecting minority languages from political and social prejudices which drive them to endangerment and extinction, and establishing an international committee to assist with language preservation and revitalization more generally. In-depth analysis found below.

Please vote Aye to accept this proposal to the program or vote Nay to reject this proposal.

Having received unanimous support, Protecting Minority Languages will now be voted on by the Executive Staff.

The floor is now open to voting on the following application:
WA Nation: Edrarin
Proposal Title: Right to paid parental leave.
Proposal Category: Social Justice
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=436252&p=33482082#p33482082
Proposal Summary: My proposal recognizes the agony some new Mothers or new parents have to go through. My proposal demands paid parental leave of an adequate amount to ensure a safe birth or typical adoption.

Please vote Aye to accept this proposal for sponsorship, or Nay to reject this application.

Opinions with your vote are encouraged.

I would support this proposal, but its language does little to ensure proper length of maternity leave. In addition, this issue may be best left up to states, but I would support it anyways. I’m going to say Nay right now, but if the author wants to change it I will reconsider.

BMWSurfer:
WA Nation: Veniyerris (it won't always be there, given my status in the NPA, feel free to contact me for my current)
Proposal Title: Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing
Proposal Category: Repeal
Link to Proposal: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=441480
Proposal Summary: This would repeal "Restrictions On Hydraulic Fracturing" because it decreases industry and is somewhat pointless. Additionally fracking doesn't always harm the environment, especially given the variety of WA nations.
As the author of the proposal under consideration, BMWSurfer has recused himself from voting on this matter.

Please vote Aye to accept this proposal for sponsorship, or Nay to reject this application.

Author has shown good faith in fixing the repeal as suggestions are brought to light. A desire is held within me to also be rid the WA of this resolution.

Therefore, Aye

I would advise Surfer to keep the thread on the forum for another week or two as suggestions trickle in. He has indicated on the thread that there is no rush so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for him. Otherwise, I think its a good effort, and it would fine for us to sponsor it.

Aye

Having received unanimous support from voting members Repeal GA#417: Restrictions on Hydraulic Fracturing will be voted on by the Executive Staff

Todd:
WA Nation : New-Brussels

Proposal Title : Cryptographic Privacy Act

Council : General Assembly

Proposal Category : Human Rights

Link to Proposal : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=440626

Proposal Summary : Privacy and cryptography are two inherently linked concepts. The proposal aims to define that link and fill in the legislative gaps on the matter.

The proposal makes the case that in order to protect the human right of privacy in WA nations, we must make sure that a state's government is not forcing citizens to install mandatory a backdoor to get around private encryption. I believe the proposal stands on its merits in this pursuit.

Reading his thread on the forum, I see that New-Brussels is a very capable author. It's obvious that he has put a lot of time and thought into his draft, and he responds to feedback well. If the purpose of the sponsorship application is to support TNP authors, I believe that sponsoring this proposal would suit that purpose well.

Aye

Having received unanimous support, Cryptographic Privacy Act will now be voted on by the Executive Staff.

Voting is now open on the following proposal:
Limerick1:
WA Nation: Alsace and Lorraine United
Proposal Title: Protection against open water acidification
Proposal Category: Environmental
Link to Proposal: Proposal
Proposal Summary: Imposes regulations on manufacturing and dumping in both shared and national waters to slow if not stop the lowering of pH and Co2 content in waters
Please vote Aye or Nay in plain text!

Opinions are encouraged!

This vote is reserved for leadership staff of the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs only!

Against.

I am sympathetic to the author considering our delay in getting this to a vote, especially given my vote against. However, I do not think we should endorse the proposal in its present state.

I do have problems with some of the content; many of its mandates feel discombobulated with each other. But I do think it could be workable. Rather, it seems that while the author has gotten quite a lot of feedback on his topic thread, I'm not confident that he has been receptive to the more sizeable of the criticisms of his proposal. This is nothing to say about his character, but such a sweeping proposal such as this, especially as it touches heavily on issues such as carbon emissions, needs careful drafting, input, and justifications for each of its mandates, of which I'm not convinced such standard has been met.

He recently had a massive comment on his topic thread; I am curious to see how he will respond. The idea is salvageable and I would personally encourage the author to keep on working on the idea.

Nay

This needs to be streamlined and focused, its trying to do too much and in the process a lot of wording needs tightening. It’s not ready yet, and if this went to vote I would have to oppose it.

Castle Federation (Wonderess) has submitted the following resolution for sponsorship. The ministry leadership is asked to vote on this resolution. A unanimous Aye vote is required for submission to the ministry at-large.

Wonderess:
WA Nation: Castle Federation
Proposal Title: On the Safety of Minors Online
Proposal Category: Moral Decency
Link to Proposal: Proposal
Proposal Summary: This proposal wishes to place restrictions on internet based businesses that use tactics and psychological means to manipulate children into spending money. The proposal also wishes to limit the maldevelopment of so called "influencers" who constantly solicit fans for money without actually providing a service or good to the consumer. The proposal also calls for a path forward where social media companies and parents can collaborate to ensure that the media that minors consume is acceptable to the parents.
Please vote Aye or Nay in plain text!

Opinions are encouraged!

This vote is reserved for leadership staff of the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs only!

I know its been almost two months but we might as well get an answer on this.

Nay,

A few commonsense objections to the proposal in its current state would lead me to vote against if it went to a vote.

social media companies do not allow users to solicit other users for money without offering a product or good in exchange whether it be physical or digital in nature.

Not only would this prevent the solicitation of donations and the like, but it's not even pertinent to the proposal's focus, minors.

Like others in this thread, this idea is certainly achievable; Wonderess has a great opportunity to add to the limited number of Moral Decency resolutions and I think he should pursue it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back