Motion to Declare an Emergency Situation

Mall

TNPer
Per Chapter 9 Section 1 of the Legal Code, I move that this Regional Assembly declare an actual emergency due to a lack of Christmas cheer.

I would like to remind everyone of what the Legal Code says:
1. The Regional Assembly may declare an actual emergency by majority vote. Votes on declaring emergencies must be expedited, and may last no longer than three days.
2. Concurrent with the declaration of an emergency, or anytime afterward while the emergency is ongoing, the Regional Assembly may, by majority vote, make both binding and nonbinding recommendations related to the ongoing emergency to government officials regarding an appropriate course of action, enforcement of regional laws, or other similar matter.

Per subpart 2. as listed above, concurrent with the declaration of emergency, I move that the Regional Assembly issue a binding recommendation to the Delegate of TNP that he change his flag to a picture of Santa Claus and change his nation's pretitle to "Jolly Christmas Elf".

Per subpart 2. as listed above, concurrent with the declaration of emergency, I move that the Regional Assembly issue a binding recommendation to every other government official to change their nations' pretitle to "Singing Loud" since that is the best way to spread Christmas cheer..

Don't give me any shit about Flem's religion or multiculturalism, TNP geographically is in prime Christmas celebrating land.

I move that the Regional Assembly issue a binding recommendation to the Delegate of TNP that he change his flag to a picture of Santa Claus and change his nation's pretitle to "Jolly Christmas Elf".
Seeing the "move" as equivalent to a "motion," I second the motion. :)

If I may ask of the proposer, how long should this emergency declaration last? Until December 26th? Until another motion by the RA to declare the emergency resolved?

Bill of Rights:
1. All Nations of The North Pacific are sovereign. Each Nation has the right of self-determination in that Nation's domestic policies, including, but not limited to, issue selection and WA membership.
Constitution:
1. All nations are guaranteed the rights defined by the Bill of Rights.

Clean Land:
Bill of Rights:
1. All Nations of The North Pacific are sovereign. Each Nation has the right of self-determination in that Nation's domestic policies, including, but not limited to, issue selection and WA membership.
Constitution:
1. All nations are guaranteed the rights defined by the Bill of Rights.
I see your Bill of Rights quote and raise you one that is actually relevant:
11. No governmental authority of the region has the power to suspend or disregard the Constitution or the Legal Code. In the event of an actual emergency, the governmental authorities of the region, with the express consent of the Nations of the region or their representatives, is authorized to act in any reasonable manner that is consistent as practicable with the pertinent provisions of the Constitution.

Darcania:
If I may ask of the proposer, how long should this emergency declaration last? Until December 26th? Until another motion by the RA to declare the emergency resolved?
Until the 28th, since Christmas trees usually linger a bit longer than planned and we wouldn't want the cheer to run out.

Sil Dorsett:
Seeing the "move" as equivalent to a "motion," I second the motion. :)
Drasnia:
I'll second it as well. I'm quite entertained by this.
Apologies for the wait.

A vote has been scheduled to begin in two days time (2017-11-29).

Lowkey if we're doing this we should not tell our allies what's up so we can give 'em a scare :P

I am totally on board with the spirit of the proposal. However, the suggested pre-title is grammatically awkward. I would prefer to use something like "The Off-Key Carolers." Can we amend the proposal to allow for a latitude of pre-titles in keeping with the good cheer theme? Also, we should exempt any government official whose TNP nation has a population under 500m.

I think this motion is ok. We definitely need to get everybody into the Christmas spirit.

I am not keen on this. I do not like having a law dictating my nation's values.

I expect integrity from the members of this Assembly. Trying to circumvent the protections of the Bill of Rights by declaring emergencies when no real emergencies exist is not even remotely an example of integrity, it is rather the complete opposite.

Lord Ravenclaw:
I am not keen on this. I do not like having a law dictating my nation's values.

Clean Land:
I expect integrity from the members of this Assembly. Trying to circumvent the protections of the Bill of Rights by declaring emergencies when no real emergencies exist is not even remotely an example of integrity, it is rather the complete opposite.

Eluvatar:
I'm not sure what part of this necessitates a declaration of emergency.

Let the RA note well the above nations who have decided that Christmas cheer is not something which TNP deserves. They are Grinches, looking to destroy the holiday spirit and reduce TNP to an amoral wasteland riddled with coal.

The Will of the RA marches onward, inexorably demanding Christmas cheer from its government officials.

Sadly it appears that at least one government official is attempting to get the Court to declare the Bill of Rights itself to be illegal to prevent this from coming to vote. After all, clause 11 of the BoR itself is what makes this all perfectly legal, and the Court has ruled on this exact scenario before. Unless, of course, the official has not read the BoR fully, in which case that would explain why they are not familiar with what is happening.

I do not support this proposal. If anything I want to counter against this by saying how is christmas spirit an emergency in legal terms? I thought an emergency would be something more dire and possibly cause harm to all the nations and require all to come together to keep them safe from destruction or near extinction or complete replacement of government that is unanimously unwanted by all nations.

Notboss Dragonking:
I do not support this proposal. If anything I want to counter against this by saying how is christmas spirit an emergency in legal terms? I thought an emergency would be something more dire and possibly cause harm to all the nations and require all to come together to keep them safe from destruction or near extinction or complete replacement of government that is unanimously unwanted by all nations.
Your definition of emergency appears to match this exact situation!! You should vote for!!

Great Bights Mum:
As I said earlier, I don't like the "Singing Loud" pre-title, so I will not support this proposal.
It is in keeping with what we have learned from Christmas documentaries.

Judging by how the vote is currently going my worst fears are being confirmed. TNP has been overrun with Grinches who believe the right to control text fields in an online nation simulator outweighs the happiness of the thousands of nations in TNP.

Mall:
Great Bights Mum:
As I said earlier, I don't like the "Singing Loud" pre-title, so I will not support this proposal.

Judging by how the vote is currently going my worst fears are being confirmed. TNP has been overrun with Grinches who believe the right to control text fields in an online nation simulator outweighs the happiness of the thousands of nations in TNP.
Nonwithstanding legal issues, I would not vote for it even if it would be or is legal.
One reason is that you have not presented any credible arguments on how such changes would increase the
happiness of the thousands of nations in TNP

Arbitrarily declaring emergency situations in the holiday season meshes quite well with the fact that this is the Internet and we're all really just a bunch of geopolitics geeks behind screens. :P

Clean Land:
Mall:
Great Bights Mum:

Nonwithstanding legal issues, I would not vote for it even if it would be or is legal.
One reason is that you have not presented any credible arguments on how such changes would increase the
happiness of the thousands of nations in TNP
If you cannot understand how the implementation of these changes would make people happy then I really don't think there's much to be done for you. I think you'll find most of what happens in this thread (and indeed in any corner of the internet) to be rather baffling.

Perhaps we are not in a festive mood this year. I understand what you are saying, you wish TNP to be more in a festive. But to change the motto and have our Delegate change his flag to that of Jingle Balls and Reindeer's is not a State of Emergency.

Maybe the Mods of TNP can put Jingle Balls and Reindeer's on our forum, just to make it festive and so forth, just so we can be "festive".

The Principality wishes TNP a Happy Christmas and Wonderful New Year :)

I find the fact that TNP has been taken over by an external force (a bunch of grinches) to be highly disturbing, and I agree that this calls for an emergency.

Mall:
Great Bights Mum:

The right to control text fields is granted by Max, and is not available to all. Under this scheme, a nation which is unable to comply could be charged with gross misconduct. A proposal which does not exempt young nations is fundamentally flawed.

Furthermore, the failure to include a noun in the specified pre-title is unacceptable.

Great Bights Mum:
Mall:
Great Bights Mum:

The right to control text fields is granted by Max, and is not available to all. Under this scheme, a nation which is unable to comply could be charged with gross misconduct. A proposal which does not exempt young nations is fundamentally flawed.

Furthermore, the failure to include a noun in the specified pre-title is unacceptable.
What young nations are you worried about?

Great Bights Mum:
All the young nations.
wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children.jpg

It doesn't matter. Citizens are free to have a young nation as their TNP nation while their older nations are elsewhere. The Delegate may decide to appoint a newer nation to his cabinet. Or someone could be on active duty with the NPA, switching nations around. It is a failing of the proposal that nations in these types of circumstances were not exempted.

Mystery Player:
I find the fact that TNP has been taken over by an external force (a bunch of grinches) to be highly disturbing, and I agree that this calls for an emergency.
That's a good point. :horror:

Back