Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
RP_Convention_2.png

Language Groups

Eras is an rp setting made up of a variety of languages, many of them constructed languages, or ConLangs: i.e. created languages for players nations. Some of these nations are clustered together, others a great way apart. This discussion - led by our most talented language type person, Sodium - will be about codifying what currently exists, and seeking to set language groups in a number of areas where they don't currently exist.

Language Family: Icenic (Celtic Based Languages)
  • (Northern Icenic) : Proto-Icenic > Old Northern Icenic > Low Icenia > Extinct
  • (Southern Icenic) : Proto-Icenic > Old Southern Icenic > Aerno-Skaltic > Aernish / North Skaltic / Skaltic Brolg

Language Family: Merilian (Latin Based Languages)
  • High Icenia > Old Alnahari > Medieval Alnahari / Medieval Kaltic / Medieval Andaluc > Alnahari / Merilia

Language Family: Gotic (Germanic Based Languages)
  • Proto-Gotic > Western Gotic > Vestrugatten

From what is common knowledge about the Gotic Languages, I have compiled a list denoting their classifications at the moment.

The Gotic languages are Eras' equivalent to the Germanic language family. The Gotic language family has been previously worldbuilt and consolidated, so here is a small summary.

North Gotic (Nordic): Proto-Gotic -> Proto-Northwestern Gotic -> Old North Gotic -> Old Gojan/Old Andrensk -> Middle Gojan/Middle Andrensk/Middle Prydanian -> Modern Gojan/Modern Jalkansk/Modern Andrensk/Modern Prydanian/Modern Kanadie

South Gotic: Proto-Gotic -> Proto-Northwestern Gotic -> Old South Gotic -> Old Ninhundish -> Middle Ninhundish -> Modern Ninhundish

West Gotic: See Nightsong's post above.

Central Gotic: Proto-Gotic -> Old Xentheridan -> Middle Xentheridan -> Modern Xentheridan

East Gotic: Proto-Gotic -> Proto-East Gotic -> Extinction (Replaced with Old Andrensk by Viking raiders, forming the Prydanian languages.)

Proto-Northwestern Gotic

North Gotic (Nordic)
Old North Gotic
Westnorth Gotic
Old Gojan
Middle Gojan
Modern Gojan/Jalkansk
Eastnorth Gotic
Old Andrennian
Middle Andrennian
Modern Andrennian/Kanadie

South Gotic (Seudisch)
Old Ninhundish
Middle Ninhundish/Old Sinder
Modern Ninhundish/Modern Sinder
Gerudoisch/Frankerisch/Gränzeburgisch

Red means dialect and I'm not sure how Prydein fits in

I am not sure what family mine would be classified but it goes like this:

Language: Cojedan

North Cojedes: Proto-Cojedan>Old North Cojedan>Old Cojedan> Early Cojedan>Modern Cojedan
South Cojedes: Proto-Cojedan>Old South Cojedan> Extinction (Merged into Old Cojedan)

That is basically how it goes. I guess technically I would be in my own family class, unless there is some nation otherwise that is similar. We do have a lot of dialects also btw, but overall they are all speaking the same but just in a different tone than all the others.

P.S. My language is based off irl Spanish

I stated this in the discord previously, but I will only be including the *main* languages that a country uses. This can be rule-of-thumbed by having seen them prominently used or mentioned in RP, but I will be the final judge.

I will further be consolidating languages based on irl comparisons. Cojedan will be grouped with the Augustan languages, as they're irl romance languages, once Nightsong sorts out their languages, they will be grouped with Cogoric (tentative) and Augustan languages, and etc.

This is because I want to consolidate and group the languages of eras about as neatly as they can be IRL, with a minimum of whacky language isolates (of which two of my own, Yeran and Aed Kaenë, are. Kaenë will not be included for this convention, unless other related languages are proposed by those users that have discussed with Felis and I on that.) unless there is really nothing comparable.

MacSalterson:
I stated this in the discord previously, but I will only be including the *main* languages that a country uses. This can be rule-of-thumbed by having seen them prominently used or mentioned in RP, but I will be the final judge.

I will further be consolidating languages based on irl comparisons. Cojedan will be grouped with the Augustan languages, as they're irl romance languages, once Nightsong sorts out their languages, they will be grouped with Cogoric (tentative) and Augustan languages, and etc.

This is because I want to consolidate and group the languages of eras about as neatly as they can be IRL, with a minimum of whacky language isolates (of which two of my own, Yeran and Aed Kaenë, are. Kaenë will not be included for this convention, unless other related languages are proposed by those users that have discussed with Felis and I on that.) unless there is really nothing comparable.
If your just including the main languages than the branch that Ninhundish is in is called Seudisch

Sodium, the current two languages of my nation (Merilia and Alnahari (real life Portuguese and Galician)) would fall under the Augustan language branch. If you are going to sort anything into the Cogoric (Celtic) language branch, it would be the Icenic languages which are only still around as a minority language within Esplandia's nation.

If you want me to clean it up or change it again, just let me know.

Here is the Caanitic Language Tree:

Te3UpMg0630Ny6YAPlNQLtTKra6w2F6_Sc0iMk6480EJ_RhHQUlQARU9RC_MtEZBnowZyDaenSzhEU5lp6VLkPbFIen3Y_nnWvWmq0WFw7ct_0Mnv2gYR0CFhYrGNEGlHwth1RNm7oRzftM2IQMMgThV6otOuRtURdd_AN8CX_tczNtsIZMSR0jTozDlz-utDCt3AbeZcuBZzAuW9RFgK8-RqpZX9BC4dV_Sln6VgGj3b27umWK6WJPb--3lnPQgGpW00-VBvrumjiINf9rAgoyde485ChPsylPAgKV1zBwptiGjEd01PpfkLyxpxRaO9aZ3K935u2s2nrSP5SR4dq-CKCld-1NkIAw82p18Do7mr_mxIxqvDjM8-i1ECKZjr5I1y-suXFt3dvD7D9djCHm2rSzGavrT7FM83L2A2FogCjTsWoDcyY5vMfUgZa6mdglXWDEIwYOn1n_yZkPqPDpgmuosuBvkXZNFesauFiON6BIC1UZsesXTIWBJJaCI8LeQKacURPPopKi1pVtKDy3T05dEp36hgWqIPqbzY40TKqZgcZr2B2wkV3VmWYocdtuHGbRyyUGSeKe4Zpjt3n7IxII4YVL0G1yRcYNAJfFfx5vU6campJchtX4s21I0DYh4UW-Jj-yasGX3VA3OLj7fVepUeQ=w687-h921-no
A good portion of this tree isn't canon yet, but the first two languages and the Yihuddi Branch are currently canon. I know you're only writing the ones currently in use, I'm just gonna put this tree out there.

Let me fix that image tag for you.

As far as Thenaca and the old tribes that used to make it up are concerned, we did not have an official language before we were colonized by Syrixia. Even the name "Thenaca" was simply based on what the Northern Tribes called it when met with Syrixian settlers. It roughly means "Great-land".

Anyways, Thenacan old languages are some made up Native-American-esq stuff, then Mercanti was learned (due to McM's early influence), and finally Syrixian when his explorers and settlers came.
The nation currently speaks a mix of all three (although the old languages are a small minority now).

Here's what Ceretis, Kidding, and I came up with. Mouxordia and Zyvun had no problem with it.

Ceretis once spoke the same PARENT LANGUAGE as Imperium speaks / spoke; (UNKNOWN NAME / Was to be named.) This was a shared universal common language shared by Ceretis, Imperium, and countless other nations in the 'Latin region' and was the 'common tongue' for the overall area and was not confined to the area inside a political border. Think of the parent language as a giant blob on the map that many nations sit within. The language would most likely have been kept rather cohesive by trade routes and other contact between nations of the time.

This language would have been the language of commerce of the era at least in this particular area of Eras. As the language changed people kept in step with the language as it's the common tongue and would have only had variations in phonetics, and some localized slang. Meanwhile in Imperium, that parent language begins to take on new words and grammar rules which spread to the other parent-language speaking nations they're in contact with, which spreads as well to Ceretis.

This turns the parent-language (at least in some areas) into Latin and by the cultural and commerce chain changes the spoken language in Ceretis from PARENT LANGUAGE to the new language which becomes LATIN. Having contentious relations (politically, ideologically, etc) with Imperium, the people of Ceretis begin to diverge from this new (Latin) language born from the Imperium. Over time this disharmony with the Imperium forms Ceretian Latin, the seed for the future French language.

Then later in 0 AD, August dissidents leave after Paxcism is institutionalized, and some go to ABC while a larger group arrives in Esroniet and speaks August Latin while Ceretis speaks Ceretian Latin. Then, the group splits- some sail to Lanceria, some migrate to modern Zyvun, while others stay in Esroniet. Lanceria, Ceretis, and Esroniet all trade, and Ceretian Latin further develops into French, which becomes a popular / common tongue in the area around Ceretis and the major trade partners of Ceretis of that era near Ceretis and across Eras. After Ceretis colonizes Saint Owhela, some Ceretian dissidents even leave and found their own country far from the cultural French nucleus called Valencia.

The language would have most likely have advanced toward the new language (French) by movements in Ceretis and alterations and changes in the nations there was contact with. Today, many nations speak French especially those nations that were part of that trade network when the language formed and helped in the formation and transition of Ceretian Latin to French.
Also, all five of us decided on a language name: the language's name is Ceretian, but Lanceria has a dialect similar to Quebecois called Archlancerienne.

Syrixia:
Here's what Ceretis, Kidding, and I came up with. Mouxordia and Zyvun had no problem with it.

Ceretis once spoke the same PARENT LANGUAGE as Imperium speaks / spoke; (UNKNOWN NAME / Was to be named.) This was a shared universal common language shared by Ceretis, Imperium, and countless other nations in the 'Latin region' and was the 'common tongue' for the overall area and was not confined to the area inside a political border. Think of the parent language as a giant blob on the map that many nations sit within. The language would most likely have been kept rather cohesive by trade routes and other contact between nations of the time.

This language would have been the language of commerce of the era at least in this particular area of Eras. As the language changed people kept in step with the language as it's the common tongue and would have only had variations in phonetics, and some localized slang. Meanwhile in Imperium, that parent language begins to take on new words and grammar rules which spread to the other parent-language speaking nations they're in contact with, which spreads as well to Ceretis.

This turns the parent-language (at least in some areas) into Latin and by the cultural and commerce chain changes the spoken language in Ceretis from PARENT LANGUAGE to the new language which becomes LATIN. Having contentious relations (politically, ideologically, etc) with Imperium, the people of Ceretis begin to diverge from this new (Latin) language born from the Imperium. Over time this disharmony with the Imperium forms Ceretian Latin, the seed for the future French language.

Then later in 0 AD, August dissidents leave after Paxcism is institutionalized, and some go to ABC while a larger group arrives in Esroniet and speaks August Latin while Ceretis speaks Ceretian Latin. Then, the group splits- some sail to Lanceria, some migrate to modern Zyvun, while others stay in Esroniet. Lanceria, Ceretis, and Esroniet all trade, and Ceretian Latin further develops into French, which becomes a popular / common tongue in the area around Ceretis and the major trade partners of Ceretis of that era near Ceretis and across Eras. After Ceretis colonizes Saint Owhela, some Ceretian dissidents even leave and found their own country far from the cultural French nucleus called Valencia.

The language would have most likely have advanced toward the new language (French) by movements in Ceretis and alterations and changes in the nations there was contact with. Today, many nations speak French especially those nations that were part of that trade network when the language formed and helped in the formation and transition of Ceretian Latin to French.
Also, all five of us decided on a language name: the language's name is Ceretian, but Lanceria has a dialect similar to Quebecois called Lancerienne.
Cremeden is French too

Does this mean I'm no longer an Esronian colony? Guess I'll be asking Sodium to help me come up with something brand new for Silienne.

Syrixia:

Also, all five of us decided on a language name: the language's name is Ceretian, but Lanceria has a dialect similar to Quebecois called Archlancerienne.
How much of this was ever discussed with Grim? Because that's quite a bit of involvement with his nation there.

The parts where people left Imperium were previously coordinated between Imperium and those nations and is apparently in some worked out historic lore somewhere. The formation of the language in Imperium (Augustum Latin) from an older parent language is as far as I and others understand to be what happened / is existing historic lore. Grim as far as I understand didn't create the ancestral parent language that would have been created by unknown people and would be similar to the IRL Indo-European language. It sort of just existed and many nations / people spoke the language.

The part about Grim's language being spoken outside his nation wouldn't be unlikely as language tends to spread especially along trade and cultural routes and nations that are attached to those. It was expected that the trade routes / cultural ties to other nations was the reason Augustum Latin spread. Then the shift from Augustum Latin to Ceretian Latin isn't an overtaking of his language but a divergent form. Sort of like British English, American English, etc. but in this case more deliberate.

Also as far as the information in the story goes Grim apparently found it acceptable in a discussion with Syrixia on 6/16/2017

Sil Dorsett:
Does this mean I'm no longer an Esronian colony? Guess I'll be asking Sodium to help me come up with something brand new for Silienne.
Oh, I forgot you! :P Sorry.

Sil Dorsett:
Given the geographic proximity of Sil Dorsett to Montañi, I might suggest a passing relationship of the two languages. Montañi is essentially a blend of Catalan, Spanish, and French (with hints of Romanian and Basque thrown in), so it wouldn't be too different from Silienne as it is now afaik.

I'll have a few trees up sometime this week, hopefully. My latex tree generator has been throwing a hissyfit.

Here we are with two Language families. These are the ones that I have received basically any information on and have a large-ish amount of languages. All language names are abbreviated, I'll attempt to clear up any confusion with translations below the images. The Augustan tree apparently threw a fit and won't play nice so it will be forcibly murdered and replaced.

[img=939,568]https://i.imgur.com/5XhxJVn.png[/img]

[img=511,824]https://i.imgur.com/5dQYBD2.png[/img]

If anyone else could provide feedback as to their language families, that'd be great. Even just an idea of what people speak helps.

I should also mention Syrixian. Hearken back to what I said here:

Syrixia:

This original Cereto-Augustan Latin (pre-split) was one descendant of PARENT LANGUAGE. Another descendant was Proto-Syrixian. Proto-Syrixian would later, with Dubalnic, the language isolate of the Dubalnic race, make a creole- Old Syrixian. By the time the late-ancient-period Syrixian kingdoms rose, Old Syrixian had become Early Middle Syrixian. By the founding of the Empire, it had become High Middle Syrixian, and by the deposition of Akbar X by his son in 1453 it had become Late Middle Syrixian. Early, High and Late Middle Syrixian are generally grouped into the Middle Syrixian group. By the 1600s, Early Modern Syrixian had risen, and by the 1900s, the current, Modern Syrixian had become entrenched.

EDIT: Note- the Syrixian race is a cross of crosses. Proto-Gotics who came to the Home Islands were absorbed, with a few but not many Gotic influences being in the Syrixian language. The people they absorbed into were a cross between the original human natives of the island and some sort of PARENT LANGUAGE-speaking “Proto-People”. *shrugs*

MacSalterson:
Here we are with two Language families. These are the ones that I have received basically any information on and have a large-ish amount of languages. All language names are abbreviated, I'll attempt to clear up any confusion with translations below the images. The Augustan tree apparently threw a fit and won't play nice so it will be forcibly murdered and replaced.

[img=939,568]https://i.imgur.com/5XhxJVn.png[/img]

[img=511,824]https://i.imgur.com/5dQYBD2.png[/img]

If anyone else could provide feedback as to their language families, that'd be great. Even just an idea of what people speak helps.
Nice Job!

Back