Pallaith for Delegate 2.0

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
Pallaith for Delegate: Let's Keep the Ball Rolling

Hello everyone. For the second time, I am here to ask for your vote for Delegate. It has been my honor and privilege to serve as your delegate for nearly 4 months now. I have enjoyed the experience immensely, learned a lot, and I like to think I've done a decent job of it. Your opinion in this matter is more important than mine, however, and now is the time for you to judge. How have I done? I would like to make the case for my delegacy thus far, and what another term would mean for TNP. I had a lot of plans and bright ideas when I last ran for this office, and I would like to see as many of them come to fruition as possible.

Our ministries had the synergy I had aimed for when I last ran for delegate, we had a strong team in place and I want to build on what worked while using what didn't as a cautionary tale. I leaned heavily on Culture and Communications, and they will still be key in a second term with the Friendship Fair I want to host, but I want to double down on the inroads I made in Foreign Affairs. I was concerned about what kind of mark a new generation of leaders in TNP would leave on the world, and I am pleasantly surprised by the shape it is starting to take. TNP has more opportunities to connect with the rest of the world and form new bonds in unexpected places and stronger bonds in others. I want to see where these opportunities can take us, without losing our independence and who we are as a region in the process. Our democratic ideals, our commitment to our allies and the stability of our region and those of the other GCRs will always be the core of our foreign policy. I want to touch on the various ministries again, comparing where we are now to where I wanted to go in my last campaign.

Of all the areas, this one has changed the most for me. I knew going in this ministry would need a lot of work, and thought that enhancing dialogue with regions through smaller interpersonal relationships would go a long way to improving our relations not only with our big allies, but the smaller embassies. In practice this proved to be just as difficult as it's always been. I came in with bright eyes and thought we just weren't smiling and chatting enough. Foreign Affairs is more complicated than that. The MoFA has maintained our standards for accepting embassies and we've even closed a few that did not meet them. Discord has been the main source of conversation and outreach to other regions, and it does its job well.

I also mentioned that we would deepen our ties with our existing allies. WALL has continued to be the most significant area of continued cooperation with our allies Balder and Europeia. Generally speaking, foreign policy this term has steered toward thawing the chilly ice of neglect and mistrust that we have had with other GCRs. While we may not completely agree with every GCR, I believe that we all benefit if we are at least friendly neighbors, or able to peacefully coexist, with our fellow GCRs. I have seen first-hand how setting aside differences to allow our players to work together and engage can lead to great things, and a richer gameplay experience.

I am proud that this term we were able to accommodate the Sinker regions by allowing them the opportunity to recruit from our newly spawned nations. In the process of figuring out how best to do this, we reached out to the other Feeders, and we have maintained lines of communication with them. As I will mention further down, we have cooperated with them on military operations. A few days ago we even formed a faction with the goal of uniting the feeders in the second nuclear war event. We managed to come in second even though the only other feeders to sign on were the Pacific and The South Pacific. When I came in, the last thing I expected was for us to be on better terms with the NPO, and yet, here we are.

Going forward, I am not only concerned with building stronger ties where they were weak, but making sure that we keep the strong relations strong. It takes effort to maintain any relationship, and we will not assume that the plants of diplomacy will patiently wait for us to water them. We must make a concerted effort to slake their thirst. To that end, though I was not able to get it going this term, I hope that early on in a second term I can launch the Friendship Fair, a chance for our allies to get their time in the sun and be celebrated. This would be the keystone cultural and foreign affairs event, which I will elaborate on further.

Honestly, managing defense has been one of the most challenging aspects of my time as delegate. I knew the least about this area next to foreign affairs, and when I set up my cabinet, I had to select a new Minister of Defense when Gladio retired. The experience has shown me the importance of training and preparing the army you have so that no one person is the key to its success or failure. As of today Gladio is back as Minister of Defense and we have seen a return to the consistency and great results that were commonplace in the previous three terms. My main goal for this ministry in the term ahead is to train not just the NPA in ops and the various actions needed to do them successfully, but to train the leadership. I do not want Gladio to feel compelled to stay because we have no one else. And this is not to say that the ministers I had before Gladio were not capable in their own right. A learning curve and a change in how the ministry was run were inevitable after so long under the helm of the same person.

In spite of a few challenges, we managed to have a joint operation with TWP and another grand op that involved TSP, TWP, TEP, Europeia, and Albion. I had hoped to run these frequently, but the approach we should take is not to force such things to happen, but to prepare ourselves sufficiently so that when an operation comes around that we can join or invite others to join, we can work it into the plan. The NPA is still a solid, standout military in the NS world, and our soldiers have done a great job adapting to and managing the challenges that were thrown their way this term.

As I expected, this ministry continued to be a vital part of our region's success this term. Siwale and his team did not disappoint, and the machinery of HA continued to hum along throughout the term, silently providing a crucial service without drawing attention to itself. The changes to the mentor program didn't lead to flashy or significantly different results, but they worked better for the staff and even though we didn't really reinvent the wheel, I am pleased the program remains part of HA's mission. This term we established The North Pacific Handbook, a one-stop shop of links and information covering every important area of regional life. This was accompanied by an index of all our regional law and an index of government ministries. Each release was promoted extensively on the RMB and the dispatches have enhanced in the clearest way yet what our forum-side community is and how it works. In addition to this, HA continued its manual telegramming, expanding their work to reach out to new nation categories and in the process drafting new telegrams to fit these categories. We have more information going out on more topics than ever before, ensuring that all ministries receive attention from the gameside community and that new talent can continue to be harnessed to keep TNP thriving.

Almost as soon as my term began, it became clear that relations between the RMB and the rest of the region were so strained that a few firebrands could enflame passions and resentment without much effort. It was true that we had to prove ourselves to the RMB regulars that we were serious about reaching out to them and addressing their concerns. Through the RMG Guardians and then the Gameside Advocate, we ensured that there would always be a dedicated presence on the RMB. Under the guidance of the players who signed on to the Gameside Advocate program, we have had several game nights with RMB players and have seen smoothing over of the tensions between them and the rest of TNP. We even came to an understanding about roleplay on site and off-site. I am proud of what we have accomplished so far with the RMB. In another term, I would hope to build on what we've started, by bringing in more people, forming a habit of these events, and also bringing the great communication work HA already provides to more frequently keep the RMB in the loop.

I am particularly proud of what we have accomplished with Communications, but it remains an area where a large part of what I hoped to do has not been realized as fully as I envisioned, and I hope a second term will change that. In the past term we have managed to release The Northern Light every month of the term, a new record. I hope to keep this going in a second term. Less successful was establishing a habit of regular voice chat events, or a return to regular weekly radio broadcasts. We had a little of both but they never became a regular thing. I am hoping that we can figure out the best way to change that in a second term. The biggest thing I hoped Communications would do this term was help organize the Friendship Fair and handle the recording of the voice chats that would ensue. I still hope to see that event happen, and Communications will play a large role in it.

To my great surprise, Culture has been one of the strongest areas this term. This is thanks in large part to SillyString's vision, and because this term saw a lot of holidays to celebrate. I am pleased with the events we put on (and are still putting on) and glad that our Culture staff had a chance to brainstorm and hopefully start traditions that can be employed in future years. Culture will play a large role in the Friendship Fair I hope to launch next term, and figure out the unique events and themes to represent each of our allies. With the help of our Communications ministry, I hope to host panels featuring the allied regions and our own cabinet. It will involve the usual games and Q&As, but we will hold them live in voice chat and record the sessions (to be broadcast by Communications as a Northern Broadcast Service show). We're light on holidays next term, so I hope this and smaller events of this kind can dominate the next term.

I have been quick to vote, many times the first to vote, and in almost every case, we have come out on the winning side of WA votes. WALL is going strong, and I am glad that it gives us a chance to work closely with friends and allies. We saw some interest in greater WALL membership but haven't really sketched out what more nations in WALL would look like. I hope we can figure that out in the term ahead. There has been additional interest and meager success in using the WALL forum to help draft new resolutions, but it hasn't evolved much past the state it was in prior to my becoming delegate. As before, I hope we can foster that and make TNP a destination for prospective WA authors, or at least another source of WA writing talent.

Being delegate the last 4 months has been an eye-opening experience. I discovered the job was both not as impossible as I imagined it to be from afar, and far more nuanced than I could have imagined. Being delegate requires a good blend of skills and temperament, and there were certainly times when I felt I may be taking it too personally and slipped into too casual an approach. The position comes with awesome responsibilities and it is not to be taken lightly. I knew that going in, but even this job can start to lend a certain level of comfort which tempts one into being a little overconfident at times, taking the job and one's relation to other players for granted. Continuing on as delegate I will aim to remain grounded and use the level of comfort I have developed getting used to the role to more quickly accomplish the things TNP needs to continue leading players into the future. With that, I welcome your questions and comments. Let's keep the ball rolling!

The classics never go out of style, so here's the awesome button from last election.

pallaith.png

I'm in!

A few questions:
If it was up to you to choose a new Vice Delegate, who would you choose?
Why do you seek re-election?

abc:
I'm in!

A few questions:
If it was up to you to choose a new Vice Delegate, who would you choose?
Why do you seek re-election?
Glad to hear it!

If I had my way, r3n would be Vice Delegate. He was going to run in the last election and I know he would have been amazing at it. Who better to run WADP and endorsement campaigns than the guy who perfected the system? I also know that if he had to step in, he would be more than qualified to be Delegate.

I'm running again because there's a lot of projects in the air and I would like to see them through. I have a solid position in endorsements and I believe I am the best person currently running or currently available to do this job. I also know I will do it even better in a second term, because I have 4 months of experience under my belt and I am demonstrably better at it than I was the day I started.

Why red text?

And a tnp classic, if you could have anyone in your cabinet (past and present players) who would you choose for each position?

In the 2.5 weeks that I have been in this region I have noticed that one question seems to hang in the air once in a while and is being used by your "closest" opponent and that is the using of NPA training to raid smaller regions.

I am not going to argue against or for, and do understand a regions military should be in top shape when called, so for clarity sakes;

Explain in your defense for using the NPA training to raid smaller, less active regions, and why not create with our allies a military training region which will not fall under the definition of a raid.

Zeek:
In the 2.5 weeks that I have been in this region I have noticed that one question seems to hang in the air once in a while and is being used by your "closest" opponent and that is the using of NPA training to raid smaller regions.
I was not expecting that statement to head in that direction... this hasn't really been a major problem at all, in years. I have not personally seen that question hanging in the air except for just recently when it was brought up in Kyoki's campaign thread. The NPA is very heavily regulated when it comes to raids. I can't tell you Pallaith's opinions on the topic, but I can point you to the fact of Chapter 8 of the Legal Code. The NPA simply cannot participate in destructive raids except against regions we're actively at war with, which also hasn't happened in years.

I'll leave Pallaith to answer the rest of your questions, but I figured I should point out a couple facts pertaining to your question.

mcmasterdonia:
Why red text?

And a tnp classic, if you could have anyone in your cabinet (past and present players) who would you choose for each position?

Red is my favorite color, and I wanted to make my post a little more interesting without doing fancy graphics and stuff, because I am not much of a designer. That's what I did last time I ran, so I'm just providing a little continuity. :P

I'm glad you asked, because my answer has changed slightly since last time.
FA: McM, really any former delegate would be a contender for this position, but you always had a lot of clout and that experience would always be useful
Defense: Gladio, I stick by this especially after finally getting a chance to work with him. I'm sure there were great ones in the past, but I do not know of them.
HA: I think Siwale has earned distinction as one of the better HA ministers, and I think he's also more trustworthy than my last answer to this question.
Culture: I think it's neat how I suggested SillyString and then I was able to put that into practice this term. She did not disappoint. Still #1 for me, I think I would toss in COE as a potential second, I think he could bring a lot to the role.
WA: r3n still, the king of this ministry in my mind

Zeek:

I am not going to argue against or for, and do understand a regions military should be in top shape when called, so for clarity sakes;

Explain in your defense for using the NPA training to raid smaller, less active regions, and why not create with our allies a military training region which will not fall under the definition of a raid.

Darcania is 100% on the money here. I suspect this question is being asked out of concern about raiding in general. TNP does not engage in raids for the sake of destruction and to troll other regions. TNP does not grief other regions. The type of operation you are advocating for is actually a good way to understand the kind of ops we already engage in, we train in small regions, we come and go and leave the region the way we found it. We also engage in ops with other regions on occasion, and even then we pointedly stick to our strict rules involving raids, as Darcania showed you. I realize I am assuming a bit about what you're trying to ask and why, but that's because this tends to be misunderstood.

Pallaith:
Darcania is 100% on the money here. I suspect this question is being asked out of concern about raiding in general. TNP does not engage in raids for the sake of destruction and to troll other regions. TNP does not grief other regions. The type of operation you are advocating for is actually a good way to understand the kind of ops we already engage in, we train in small regions, we come and go and leave the region the way we found it. We also engage in ops with other regions on occasion, and even then we pointedly stick to our strict rules involving raids, as Darcania showed you. I realize I am assuming a bit about what you're trying to ask and why, but that's because this tends to be misunderstood.
Thank you for the explanation, when reading over the NPA reports when I first arrived I was a bit confused as I didn't know TNP was a raider region, happy to know that it isn't.

Just one last question: Do you hope that at some point in the near future under your leadership that our relations with NPO will be warm enough(the N-day does show proof that it is becoming warm) that our embassies will open once again?

Zeek:
Thank you for the explanation, when reading over the NPA reports when I first arrived I was a bit confused as I didn't know TNP was a raider region, happy to know that it isn't.

Just one last question: Do you hope that at some point in the near future under your leadership that our relations with NPO will be warm enough(the N-day does show proof that it is becoming warm) that our embassies will open once again?

It seems more possible than it has in a long time, and I am always hopeful that we can get along better with our fellow GCRs.

plembobria:
Too much red. Cannot support

K

Greetings Palliath

I have two questions for you. What is the biggest issue you believe is facing the North Pacific, and why. The second being is how as Delegate you plan to address this.

I have a number of questions.

What sort of involvement in the Delegate's government do you think is appropriate for the Vice Delegate and the Attorney General? Has your view in relation to the Vice Delegate (because I actually asked about them at the last election) changed over the course of the term and, if so, why?

How do you think the Gameside Advocate scheme has been going over this last term, what have been its successes and failings? Are there any changes you would make in terms of the regulation of the RMB?

Foreign Affairs can tend to be something that is quite far away from the average citizen, which is often fine, however, in relation to treaties it appears to be something which has occasionally resulted in problems in respect of the foreign affairs agenda of a Delegate, with treaties coming a bit unstuck when they are presented to the Assembly. What steps do you think can be taken to improve the awareness of citizens more generally, in relation to foreign affairs, and to try to ensure that the government's foreign affairs agenda is more likely to attract support in the Assembly?

Kasch:
How well do you think you're going to do in this election?

I have a good feeling about the outcome.

Artemis:
Greetings Palliath

I have two questions for you. What is the biggest issue you believe is facing the North Pacific, and why. The second being is how as Delegate you plan to address this.

That's a good question. Last term I anticipated the state of our Foreign Affairs ministry was the biggest thing I had to worry about. Then I took office and the most pressing problem was an agitated RMB. I took steps to address both of these things, but they continue to be vying for attention. My opponents in this race clearly illustrate that the divide between the gamesde and off-site communities is a real issue that we will have to continue to navigate in the term ahead. It is probably our biggest domestic issue that needs attention right now. As for FA, the NS world is shifting and TNP has an opportunity to be part of some major shakeups, but no matter what we decide we need to adapt to the new world taking shape. What happens in FA is going to affect our decisions in defense, it will change who might be part of our cultural events, it can be a factor in our WA deliberations. It's always important though, and we're in a better FA position now than we were when I started, but we need to pick up the pace on training our diplomats and making sure that the years of experience or former officials and senior diplomats have are instilled in the new generation that makes up our FA staff now. FA has been top-heavy, with the senior diplomats, myself, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs doing the brunt of the work. We need the levels below us to keep up, so next term we will redouble our training effort.

As I feel it's almost cheating to cite FA as the answer to this question, given it is always important and needs to be addressed, I will focus the rest of this response on the gameside thing. We need to keep making an effort not to forget or give off the perception that we are forgetting about the gameside community. The Gameside Advocate is my vehicle to improve relations with the gameside community. In the last term we had a summit related to roleplay, and from what I can tell it was effective and created lasting peace and acceptance by both sides regarding how rp works in this region. We need more of these summits, or something quite not as large but more frequent. the GA is a new way to handle the mission the RMB Guardians started last year, and we need to continue to refine it. We are overdue for a grand meeting of the gameside and offsite community, so I will schedule one of those early in the next term. After that, I hope to set up a town hall type thing maybe once a week to do the same work but wit a smaller workload.

Zyvetskistaahn:
I have a number of questions.

What sort of involvement in the Delegate's government do you think is appropriate for the Vice Delegate and the Attorney General? Has your view in relation to the Vice Delegate (because I actually asked about them at the last election) changed over the course of the term and, if so, why?

How do you think the Gameside Advocate scheme has been going over this last term, what have been its successes and failings? Are there any changes you would make in terms of the regulation of the RMB?

Foreign Affairs can tend to be something that is quite far away from the average citizen, which is often fine, however, in relation to treaties it appears to be something which has occasionally resulted in problems in respect of the foreign affairs agenda of a Delegate, with treaties coming a bit unstuck when they are presented to the Assembly. What steps do you think can be taken to improve the awareness of citizens more generally, in relation to foreign affairs, and to try to ensure that the government's foreign affairs agenda is more likely to attract support in the Assembly?

My view on the Vice Delegate's involvement in the Delegate's government has not changed. As I said before, given the right situation, I wouldn't have a problem with the Vice Delegate having a role in the cabinet. The Vice Delegate will continue to get a cabinet role only as a last resort in my second term. Taking on that role undermines the independence of the Vice Delegate and puts their ability to put security of the region over the Delegate at risk. It also creates the perception of a conflict of interest even if it doesn't exist. All of this, by the way, applies to the Attorney General, and my view on that has also remained unchanged. It is even worse for the AG to be intimately involved in executive decisions which may then be challenged by the AG in a future court case. There needs to be distance from the Delegate to prosecute if needed.

I think the Gameside Advocate is working well. We have a good team in place which emphasizes people with a good working relationship with the RMB. They have successfully set up events to keep hem engaged with the offsite community, the gaming nights that have been launched so far have worked as intended. I would like to bring more people into that fold so that it has its own staff similar to the ones in the Executive. More interest in participating in the GA is only a good thing, and I think we can make greater use of it. I would like to explore ways to integrate the RMB roleplay into the kind of scheduled events the GA has already done with the gaming night, since RMB roleplay continues to be the defining form of gameside activity. We incorporated the RMB in previous cultural events, and I want the GA to work with Culture to do that again. Since the GA is aided by RMB active players, we will have input from the people who we want to participate in our events, which should hopefully improve turnout and the participation rate. Not sure I would refer to it as a scheme though. <_<

Foreign Affairs not only need to be part of the regular press releases HA sends out, they need to be regularly reported within their own ministry. The problem with this is that it doesn't tell the whole story. Most of the time this is because the kinds of things we work on in FA are constantly in flux and sensitive in nature, and we don't really la it all out until it's done. MoFA can probably share the basics of what is being done as it is happening, and that way the RA is at least aware of what is going on before something is presented to them. I can't promise this will always happen, though, considering that delicate matters will sometimes require quiet back and forth behind the scenes. In a lot of ways this reminds me of the disclosure concerns with the Security Council. It is a challenge to find a balance between what we can share and what is too sensitive to risk. But in my view, while that is a concern, it is still mostly a problem of getting the word out. FA was sleepy for a bit and so there wasn't much to say. It isn't anymore, and going into the next term I expect that will not change. MoFA needs to be more robust in laying out the existing FA situation to the rest of the region, and we will definitely work on that. This is, of course, in addition to improving the training of the ministry's staff and diplomats, as I outlined earlier. That would bolster the knowledge base and expose more citizens to these things, which will have the effect of enhancing the RA's understanding of FA events.

Oh, and by popular demand, I have de-colored my OP. Your eyes are welcome.

These questions were asked by Darc last time and I'd like to see your answers now:

What would your top two ideal choices for each of your Ministers be?

What Ministry would you add and what Ministry would you remove if you had to?

Darcania:
Do you intend to post your Oath of Office in a timely fashion? :P
Yes. :duh:

abc:
These questions were asked by Darc last time and I'd like to see your answers now:

What would your top two ideal choices for each of your Ministers be?

What Ministry would you add and what Ministry would you remove if you had to?

Darc asked them last time and I answered them last time. I also answered basically the same question earlier in this thread. Well, I named one person, not to, so how's this:

FA: McM, Raven
Defense: Gladio, McM
HA: Siwale, r3n
Culture: SillyString, COE
WA: r3n, Sil Dorsett

Communications is the "weakest' and most replaceable ministry, but it's a key ministry in my government and for my future plans. That was true when I ran last time and is even more true now. Roleplay, if anything, has gotten more valid as a potential new ministry, or one that could be altered given the way things are now. I still wouldn't fundamentally alter it however.

The lasting peace is more of an armastice really, off-site people would stop badmouthing RMB people and their RP and recognise that people like Singapura, Temfff and the most recent, Necerierra, are not defining the RMB, that we are not a cluster of trolls and the RMB people would stop badmouthing the off-site forums and respect their way of RP and the way things go here.
Its more of a mutual staying away from eachother than really a peace thing. And thats where it is at now i think.
At the moment LoA is undermining the armastice from time to time but that would be a point for the next summit i think.

The game nights are in my opinion also not that ground breaking, don't understand me wrong, its definitely a step in the right direction but i wouldn't call a participation of 5 people of which one or two RMB regulars (last i saw) much.

The whole GA thing is a good idea and having several RMB regulars as GA's did decrease trolling and spamming by a bunch but they are still dependant on whether or not someone who actually has silence powers is online. They need actual silence powers because as things are now they are really just watchers.

Now i'm aware that there is only a limited of RO spots but do all of them really need them? Because the way i see it GA's need to be people who are actually gameside for the most of their time, at least 90% imo, and the people who are have no power currently.

So what would you think about all this in the future?

Emperor von Friently:
The lasting peace is more of an armastice really, off-site people would stop badmouthing RMB people and their RP and recognise that people like Singapura, Temfff and the most recent, Necerierra, are not defining the RMB, that we are not a cluster of trolls and the RMB people would stop badmouthing the off-site forums and respect their way of RP and the way things go here.
Its more of a mutual staying away from eachother than really a peace thing. And thats where it is at now i think.
At the moment LoA is undermining the armastice from time to time but that would be a point for the next summit i think.

The game nights are in my opinion also not that ground breaking, don't understand me wrong, its definitely a step in the right direction but i wouldn't call a participation of 5 people of which one or two RMB regulars (last i saw) much.

The whole GA thing is a good idea and having several RMB regulars as GA's did decrease trolling and spamming by a bunch but they are still dependant on whether or not someone who actually has silence powers is online. They need actual silence powers because as things are now they are really just watchers.

Now i'm aware that there is only a limited of RO spots but do all of them really need them? Because the way i see it GA's need to be people who are actually gameside for the most of their time, at least 90% imo, and the people who are have no power currently.

So what would you think about all this in the future?
We built a foundation. As GA was my contribution to this, I will see it continued in the next term. It could use more work, we will put that work into it. Honestly, the fact the game night happened at all, and happened more than once, I think is worth celebrating. I would like more people to be involved, maybe you can help us with that by encouraging participation on your end.

I don't know what you want me to do about regional officers. I can give every RO suppression power, but that wouldn't change the reality, as you said, that the people specifically chosen to work with the GA won't be able to use that power. If I could have more ROs, I would be willing to appoint them. It is not as if we have excess ROs either, they are all cabinet or regional resources. Something like regular patrols of the ROs could help us know who and when to suppress. The GAs can always report to us or mods as well.

I appreciate you taking the time to bring this up.

mcmasterdonia:
Why do you believe scrutiny is a bad thing?

Why are elections a wasted effort?

What do you think of reopening nominations?
Scrutiny is a necessary and crucial thing. But it takes many forms. In some contexts, scrutiny roots out the truth and the important details of a campaign when applied very strictly, and comprehensively to a close reading and questioning of what the candidate says. In other contexts, recognizing a lack of seriousness or engaging with the candidate on a level similar to the lack of seriousness he or she has displayed is itself sufficient. Of course, that's just my view. I would say I personally spend more time and energy applying stricter scrutiny when I feel the candidate is serious, but it is not a bad thing for others to engage in, because candidates on the ballot are all equally weighed even if we deem some of their odds to be better than others. This campaign process is about making these calls and fairly evaluating all the candidates, and we all have our ways of doing that.

Elections are not a wasted effort. I would say they are quite an enlightening time for both the candidates running and the voters choosing among them. They are the lifeblood of a democratic region and a lot of fun too. :P

If the voters want to do that, then let's do it. It is important not only for people to have a choice, but to feel like they have a real choice. No matter what, I stand by my record and if you want more time to decide or you want to hear from others, I will continue to plead my case and engage however long is needed.

Thank you for your answers, I have some follow-up questions.
Pallaith:
My view on the Vice Delegate's involvement in the Delegate's government has not changed. As I said before, given the right situation, I wouldn't have a problem with the Vice Delegate having a role in the cabinet. The Vice Delegate will continue to get a cabinet role only as a last resort in my second term. Taking on that role undermines the independence of the Vice Delegate and puts their ability to put security of the region over the Delegate at risk. It also creates the perception of a conflict of interest even if it doesn't exist. All of this, by the way, applies to the Attorney General, and my view on that has also remained unchanged. It is even worse for the AG to be intimately involved in executive decisions which may then be challenged by the AG in a future court case. There needs to be distance from the Delegate to prosecute if needed.
In relation to the Attorney General, for around a month in the last term the present (and it seems likely future) Attorney General served as your Minister of Defence. The Ministry of Defence is not an area which is free from potential legal issues, the NPA is bound to follow the doctrine set out in law in how it conducts its operations, there may be questions over the proper classification of operations, matters of military discipline could plausibly end up being challenged; indeed, it may be that the Ministry of Defence is the Ministry which could raised the most legal issues. With that it mind, my first follow-up is why it was felt necessary for the Attorney General to also be the Minister of Defence for at least part of this last term?

Second, and I suspect I am preempting your first answer somewhat here, what difficulties do you think that the NPA has in respect of recruitment and retention?

Third, do you consider the regulation of the NPA to be adequate? Are there any areas which you think are too restrictive and, if so, how might they be relaxed? Are there any which are too lax?

What are your thoughts on getting new citizens in ministerial positions? How can the delegate help integrate newer members into the government and help them be successful?

Zyvetskistaahn:
Thank you for your answers, I have some follow-up questions

In relation to the Attorney General, for around a month in the last term the present (and it seems likely future) Attorney General served as your Minister of Defence. The Ministry of Defence is not an area which is free from potential legal issues, the NPA is bound to follow the doctrine set out in law in how it conducts its operations, there may be questions over the proper classification of operations, matters of military discipline could plausibly end up being challenged; indeed, it may be that the Ministry of Defence is the Ministry which could raised the most legal issues. With that it mind, my first follow-up is why it was felt necessary for the Attorney General to also be the Minister of Defence for at least part of this last term?

Second, and I suspect I am preempting your first answer somewhat here, what difficulties do you think that the NPA has in respect of recruitment and retention?

Third, do you consider the regulation of the NPA to be adequate? Are there any areas which you think are too restrictive and, if so, how might they be relaxed? Are there any which are too lax?

Killer question Zyvet.

As you know, Darcania served as our Attorney General and for a time as my Minister of Defense. Darcania was not the first appointed to this position, as the office was originally held by Sasten. Unfortunately, Sasten had to resign suddenly and we did have trouble finding a replacement. As one of the officers in the NPA and one of those on my shortlist for MoD, Darcania was a solid choice and was ready and willing to step up at that difficult time. We did discuss the potential problems with him being the Attorney General and Minister of Defense, but we had a concern about the relative lack of talent in both areas, especially the ministry. As an officer in the NPA, Darcania would have been in a tricky spot acting as Attorney General in the event legal issues related to the NPA arose. I deemed this scenario to be one of the exceptions I mentioned in my previous responses. I anticipated it would occur with the Vice Delegate, but the logic still applies. I also reasoned that Darcania would prefer to leave the AG's office and would continue to serve as MoD into a potential second term with me as Delegate. I was wrong on both accounts. :P

As you surmised, the situation outlined above is tangentially related to recruitment and retention of NPA members. We cannot get more officers and enhance their experience, preparing them to potentially serve as MoD, if we do not have a larger member base from which to draw. In lean times, when fewer operations take place and there is less visible activity to entice potential recruits, it's hard to convince people to try it out. We also are more likely to shed soldiers when there is more down time. We were forced to contend with that reality for most of my term. It is a shame that we only really started to rectify that once Gladio resumed command but going forward I hope we can see what works and which methods he employs and see if we can't teach that to more of our officers. In turn, they can teach it to the lower ranks, and as these methods continue to be used, with or without Gladio, the recruitment will hopefully keep to a steady rate and we will continue to have operations that will keep them coming back. The biggest problem this term was we didn't engage in enough ops, full stop. There's a lot of reasons for that, but that is ultimately the culprit in my view.

The regulations of the NPA came up a few times in the latter half of my term. They did not interfere, in my view, with the operations we conducted. I do not believe the regulations are in need of relaxing, nor do I believe there are any that are too lax. For instance, I agree that we should take care to do as little damage as possible and respect the natives of the regions we visit, and I do not believe that could be relaxed any more without undermining the purpose of the regulation. I believe the NPA is already empowered to do as much as is reasonable when conducting operations, and to further restrict it would not only make the operations more difficult by virtue of requiring greater time to plan and carry them out properly, but would make it even harder to cooperate with other regions in missions beyond what may be reasonable.

Artemis:
What are your thoughts on getting new citizens in ministerial positions? How can the delegate help integrate newer members into the government and help them be successful?

I made this a key point in my last campaign. This past term I brought on Siwale, Darcania, and Sankami as ministers. Sankami in particular signaled an approach I had for FA that emphasized the newer players with the support of older, more experienced ones. I am not afraid to bring in new talent, as that was how I got my start and found success so quickly. I also brought Scorch back to the cabinet and retained Sil Dorsett; both were relatively new in the previous terms though they had already served as ministers. There will be cabinet changes in my second term and the same opportunities will be afforded to rising stars in our region. I maintain executive staffs that are open to everyone and very accommodating, and make myself available to help any new citizens who have questions or seek guidance in their work in TNP. I encourage my cabinet to similarly seek out and foster new promising talent, and while I give a lot of leeway on deputy selections, I am not shy about making suggestions or offering feedback on potential picks the ministers re considering. Whenever the situation calls for it, or we need someone more experienced, I will defer to that person, but when we have the luxury of choosing independent of a pressing need, I like to take the chance on the fresher faces. A lot of their success does depend on them, however. To the extent I can help, I try to help them find the role that fits them best whenever possible, so that their odds of success are greatest, but I have found that a lot of people like to be involved in multiple ministries, and have little trouble standing out and finding their niche on their own.

Back