Abbey for Speaker

Abbey

TNPer
Hey there everyone. I’ve decided that I’d like a slight change in pace in NS and that I’d like to fill the Speaker role until September. I’ve got plenty of experience managing spreadsheets and am relatively familiar with all the procedures that I would have to follow due to my general TNP legal interest. I would be committed to the role and I am committed to winning this election. I’ve spent a long time as a Justice, all told, and it would be a privilege to serve TNP in another way. I’m on regularly, am active even if I don’t post very much (I only like to post if I have something worthwhile to say) and am ready to take on the responsibility of being Speaker.
I don’t have any special plans really, just a platform of activity and reliability.

Any questions?

Abbey, why must you challenge me this way? Two former deputies up against each other for a job I had and (admittedly) have a lot of ideas for how it should be done, and I have to pick one.

I know if you win you would do a good job, you have always managed any task you have been given and risen to whatever challenges you have faced. I also appreciate the fact that no matter what happens, you would stick it out and get whatever knowledge you need to do the job right. Owenstacey will be essential if you win, so I assume you will keep him on as deputy?

Since Owenstacey is running in large part on expanding Discord masking and the return of the Speaker's staff, what are you thoughts/plans on that? Assuming you establish a staff, how would you make use of them when so much of the Speaker's work can only be done by deputies, not generic staff members?

This came up when I was Speaker, what are your thoughts on closing threads when the original poster abandons an idea, or when discussion has stalled for an extended period of time?

I wish you luck and I wish you well Abbey, I could always depend on you in the MoWA and you have been busy in many areas of the region and contributed so much good wherever you go. As I said, I am sure you would do great in this capacity as well. Because of Owenstacey's experience and the fact the office has essentially vanished around him, I feel he has passed a crucial test and we need that experience to build the office back up. That's why I will be supporting him for Speaker in this election, but if you won I don't think it would be that bad a turn of events compared to any other person who may come in without prior experience. I hope that win or lose, you guys will have each other to restore the office to fighting shape.

Thank you Pallaith for your kind words, even if not your support.

I absolutely would keep Owenstacey as my deputy. I could not be speaker in a vacuum and try to do everything myself as that's just a recipe for failure, and Owenstacey has been a good deputy so I'd definitely keep him. I'd also hope to recruit one or two less experienced members as deputies and try to build them up.

I'm not personally convinced we need a legal amendment in order to add an optional citizenship masking field. I believe it would be a good idea, and one which could help enable a more efficient masking system.

As much as I quite like the idea of a Speaker's Staff, I think the legal constraints are just too tight for them to be able to do anything much of use. I probably wouldn't continue with the idea unless I/someone else came up with a bright idea as to how to use them.

I generally believe that threads shouldn't be locked unless a) someone has already gravedug it inappropriately b) The issue is no longer relevant and will not come up again (ie Bootsie's recall). I'm a proponent of people using existing threads to continue discussions rather than starting up new ones and spreading the discussion on the same ideas around.

Again thank you for your kind words and your questions.

Back