official floof
-
Pronouns
he/they
TNP Nation
Darcania
Discord
@zephyrkul
We have a few things to do and not much time to do them, so let's get down to business.

First order of business: July 1st is the first day of the Judicial election cycle. We need two Commissioners to oversee this election. As a note to these two, the Attorney General is no longer elected during the Judicial cycle, so the spreadsheet may need to be edited.

Second order of business: Procedures. Now that we have a new structure for the Election Commission, the current Election Procedures and templates will need updating. Please have a look at the Election Templates and post here with any changes you believe is necessary. Once we've decided on the changes, Eluvatar can change them on that page (I can centralize them and submit a pull request if necessary).

Third order of business: Discord. I have long ago requested the Chat Admins to create a channel and associated role for the Election Commission. All you have to do is ask them to give you the mask.

Fourth order of business: A Commissioner Roster. Since each Commissioner may lose their post at differing times depending on when they take their Oath, a centralized roster like with the Government Registry may be necessary. Until then, here is a table listing the status of the Election Commission:
Name[c]Oath Taken
[c]Crushing Our Enemies[c](time=1498268613)
[c]SillyString[c](time=1498269149)
[c]Darcania[c](time=1498251495)
[c]Eluvatar[c](time=1498269186)
[c]Syrixia[c](time=1498252960)
[c]Siwale[c](time=1498253602)
Note: All times are forum time codes, as such, they are corrected to the timezone of the viewer by Zetaboards.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on any of the above here, and feel free to post about anything I may have missed.

I'll volunteer to oversee the judicial election. As for the templates, I think the message for future election commissions seems unnecessary with the new, amended commission, but everything else seems OK.

Before we adopt detailed formal procedures, I would like to propose one guiding rule to be formalized later: that we do all our business in public.

I don't believe any of our duties, besides the handling of private ballots, need to take place in private. (And the handling of private ballots can continue to be addressed via personal communications between those commissioners administering the particular election). If one values transparency as I do, anything that can be public should be public.

For reference, this is the statute authorizing this commission:

Legal Code Chapter 4:
Section 4.3: The Election Commission
11. The Election Commission consists of at least five, but no more than nine citizens appointed by the Delegate and confirmed by a majority vote of the Regional Assembly.
12. Any citizen may be appointed to the Election Commission. Citizens will be exempt from constitutional restrictions on holding multiple government offices for purposes of their appointment to the Election Commission.
13. The term of an Election Commissioner will be six months, beginning on the day they take the Oath of Office.The Delegate does not have the power to remove an Election Commissioner.
14. All elections will be supervised by two Election Commissioners.
15. An Election Commissioner will be considered absent during any election in which they are a candidate, or during which their term started or is scheduled to end. Absent Election Commissioners may not supervise an election or participate in any decisions made by the Election Commission as a whole.
16. If there are fewer than five non-absent Election Commissioners, the remaining commissioners will appoint temporary replacements to bring their number up to five. If all Election Commissioners are absent, the delegate will appoint five temporary replacements. These replacements will serve until the number of non-absent commissioners is five or greater.
17. The Election Commission will have the power to make rules for the supervision of elections. Where no rules exist, the Election Commissioners supervising a given election may use their discretion.
18. Any citizen may petition the full Election Commission to review a decision made by the Election Commissioners supervising a given election. If necessary, the election may be halted while the Election Commission decides how to proceed.
19. If the full Election Commission determines that the actions under review are not in compliance with the law or their adopted rules, they will have the power, by majority vote, to overrule them. If deemed necessary, they will also have the power, by majority vote, to restart the election, or designate different commissioners to supervise the election.

Under this statute, I believe it would be appropriate to include the templates (as updated to reflect the AG being moved to executive elections) as part of the rules adopted by this commission. Taking a leaf from the pages of other government bodies, we should also have rules for the proper administration of our internal procedures (i.e. a chair), for voting, regarding transparency, and regarding vacancies or absences. I'm sure some of our members already have more thoughts on these subjects.

With regards to the transparency, this forum is currently readable to all Citizens (though only the EC group and forum staff can actually post in it). This can be changed if we want (say, if we want Residents to be able to read this forum). COE has also asked if it's possible for the Discord channel to be viewable by non-Commissioners (and indeed it is), so we can have it set to be like that if we wish.

It may still be best, then, for the "active" Commissioners (the two actually running the election) to discuss private things, like The Voting Booth's password and private ballots, in Discord direct messages, as usual.

I definitely agree that all our work should be done in the light, and would suggest that the discord channel we have be made visible to the public (or at least residents) as this forum is, though we may want to restrict chatting to ECs only.
Eluvatar:
Under this statute, I believe it would be appropriate to include the templates (as updated to reflect the AG being moved to executive elections) as part of the rules adopted by this commission. Taking a leaf from the pages of other government bodies, we should also have rules for the proper administration of our internal procedures (i.e. a chair), for voting, regarding transparency, and regarding vacancies or absences. I'm sure some of our members already have more thoughts on these subjects.
Indeed.

I have been working on a draft of some rules for the Election Commission ever since the passage of the election reform bill. Here is what I have so far, and keep in mind that this is rough. Section 3 seems a bit out of place, and Section 4 particularly needs work, and could use ya'll's eyes:
Rules of the Election Commission

Section One: Administration
1. Whenever the position is vacant, the Election Commissioner with the longest tenure who is willing and not absent will become the Senior Election Commissioner.
2. When the Senior Election Commissioner is absent, the Election Commissioner with the longest tenure who is willing and not absent will serve as a temporary replacement until the Senior Election Commissioner is no longer absent.
3. The Senior Election Commissioner will administer these rules, and use their discretion where no rules exist.
4. By default, votes to amend these rules will last five days, and can only be held when an election is not in progress. Other votes will last three days by default.
5. If the outcome of any vote is no longer in doubt, the Senior Election Commissioner may end the vote early at their discretion.
6. When temporary Election Commissioners are needed, the non-absent commissioners will come to a consensus regarding who to appoint. If no consensus can be reached, the Senior Election Commissioner will create a list of all suggested appointees, and hold a vote in which each Election Commissioner may vote for as many or as few as they wish. Those with the most votes will be appointed.
7. The Senior Election Commissioner will maintain a roster of current Election Commissioners and the date of their oath of office.
8. At least one week before any general or judicial election, the Senior Election Commissioner will designate two willing Election Commissioners to supervise the election. Whenever a special election is called for, the Senior Election Commissioner will promptly designate two willing Election Commissioners to supervise the election. Election Commissioners so designated will hereafter be referred to as “Election Supervisors” though this role is not distinct from their position as Election Commissioners, and is considered part of the regular duties of an Election Commissioner.
9. Election Commissioners who expect to be absent, or are unwilling to supervise a regularly scheduled election should endeavor to inform the Senior Election Commissioner at least two weeks in advance of the election.
10. The Senior Election Commissioner will control access to forum accounts for the purpose of supervising elections, including The Voting Booth, The Polling Place, and The Ballot Box. The password to one of these accounts will be given to the Election Supervisors before an election, who will promptly change the password, and share it only between themselves. After the final results of the election are certified, they will give the password to the Senior Election Commissioner, who will promptly change the password again.

Section Two: Election Procedures
1. In advance of any regularly scheduled election, Election Supervisors will obtain lists from the Speaker’s office of all citizens who are eligible to run for office. In the case of a special election, such a list must be obtained before the close of candidacy declarations.
2. After voting begins, Election Supervisors will promptly obtain a list from the Speaker’s office of all citizens who are eligible to vote.
3. During candidacy declarations, Election Supervisors are obligated to include a list of declared candidates in the opening post of the thread for candidacy declarations. They are encouraged, but not required, to include lists of those who have been nominated, those who have declined nominations, and those who were nominated, but not eligible to run. In some circumstances, such as when all citizens have been nominated for office, it would be appropriate to omit such lists, or put them inside spoiler tags.
4. During voting, private ballots will be announced in separate posts. If a private ballot is changed, the corresponding post will be edited accordingly.
5. Public ballots may be changed by the voter either by editing the original ballot directly or by making a new post in the voting thread. Any time a voter posts more than one ballot in the voting thread, only the most recent one will be counted.
6. Election Supervisors will endeavor to keep an up to date tally of votes available to the Election Commission at-large, with private ballots anonymized. The Election Supervisors may modify how each ballot is counted until the final results are certified.
7. Any time during the voting period, or six hours thereafter, any Election Commissioner may challenge a particular ballot by private message, and submit an alternate interpretation of how it should be counted. The Election Supervisors may accept or deny any challenge.
8. If a ballot is modified by the voter, any prior challenge of that ballot will be null and void.
9. If the results of challenged ballots could change the outcome of the election, the results must be certified by the Election Commission at large. Otherwise, the Election Supervisors will promptly certify the results after the voting period ends.
10. To certify the results at large, the Election Supervisors will promptly present the results of the election to the Election Commission for certification by majority vote. Simultaneously, the Election Commission will also vote on the outcome of each challenged ballot. If the vote to certify the results fails, then each challenged ballot will be counted according to the outcome of their respective votes. The results will then be considered certified.

Section Three: Irregular Ballots
1. If a voter does not vote Yes or No to a question to re-open nominations for a given office, their vote for that office will not be counted.
2. In all other cases, any portion of a ballot that is properly completed will be counted, even if other portions of the ballot are left blank.
3. If a voter selects more candidates for a given office than are allowed, their vote for that office will not be counted.
4. If a voter selects fewer candidates for a given office than are allowed, their unused selections will be treated as abstentions, and their votes for that office will be counted.
5. If a voter misspells the name of a candidate on their ballot, their vote will be counted unless it is unclear which candidate they intended to vote for.
6. Any time a voter is at risk of having a portion of their ballot go uncounted, they must be immediately contacted by the Election Supervisors by private message and telegram.

Section Four: Citizen Petitions
1. If a citizen petitions for a decision of the Election Supervisors to be reviewed, the Election Commission at large will promptly vote between the following options:
a. Uphold the decision of the Election Supervisors
c. Reverse the decision and continue the election
d. Overrule the decision and restart the voting period
e. Overrule the decision and restart the election
2. During this process, if three or more Election Commissioners move that the election should be halted, the Election Supervisors will immediately halt the election.
3. Election Commissioners can only vote for one option, and if an option gains a majority, it will be put into effect.
4. If no option gains a majority, the election will be halted (if it has not been already) while the commission deliberates.
5. The Senior Election Commissioner will endeavor to efficiently determine a course of action that has majority support of the election commission, and put it to vote.

I was thinking we could take the current templates and, once tweaked a bit, adopt them as appendices to the rules.

EDIT: I should clarify that I don't think we have a prayer of ironing all this out before the judicial election, and should probably proceed with that using just the templates and whatever bare-bones temporary rules we can agree on before then, with the more comprehensive set to come after.

EDIT 2: I didn't see Darc's post until after I had posted. I would say that this forum should have the same read and view permissions as the Elections forum.

I think there's basically never a good reason to make an area visible to Citizens but not to Residents (the Regional Assembly's private halls being one of the few exceptions). In this case I also think the workings of the Election Commission need not be concealed from Members or Guests.

I will comment further regarding the draft rules at a later date.

I really like your set of EC rules, COE, though I have a few concerns.
1) The process for updating ballots has the situations of private ballots being updated and public ballots being updated, but I'm unsure if it defines what happens if a private ballot's owner later submits a public ballot, or if a public ballot's owner later submits a private ballot. The latter situation I have never personally dealt with, though for the former I added strikeout tags to the now out-of-date private ballot and noted in the post that the voter later voted publicly (this can be seen here).
2) For section 3, clause 2, I think it should be changed to:
"2. In all other cases, any portion of a ballot that is properly completed will be counted, even if other portions of the ballot are improperly completed."
The phrase "improperly completed" could also be replaced with "irregular", since the section in essence defines irregular ballots and procedures for dealing with them.
3) I do like the procedure for the elections accounts removing the need for admins, though it may be useful to have a provision for allowing the SEC to bypass the ES and go to the admins if the ES fail to promptly give the SEC the password back after the conclusion of an election cycle.

As for if we go through and adopt these rules (which are really well-written, COE, job well done :D ), at the moment those rules would make me the SEC, since I have the longest tenure (by 24 minutes) and am both willing and not absent. Would that also be acceptable if we adopted COE's rules?

I think "reversing" means that when there are two clear options and the supervisors chose one, they have to do the other one now. "Overruling" I think means that the decision the supervisors made is null and void. Generally I think it amounts to the same, but reversal implies to me that an alternative decision is put into effect, which doesn't make sense when the election is being restarted. That's the reason for the differing terminology.

Now that the elections are over, I'm going to give this a quick bump. COE's proposed a set of rules above, so please give them a read if you haven't already, as well as the posts below, and provide any feedback you think is relevant.

Regarding COE's proposal:

1. On full consideration I don't like the idea of Senior Election Commissioner being, well, by seniority only. Seniority makes sense as a backstop, but we should ordinarily let somebody volunteer for the extra duties and agree to their doing them. Of course, just having that role rotate monthly should work too.

2. I think the rules should explicitly refer to the templates (without fully incorporating them).

3. I would use the word "promptly" rather than "immediately" in 3.6: we should understand that to mean "as soon as possible" but not expose ourselves to frivolous suits if we take more than a single second to notice a problem with a submitted ballot.

4. Why would overruling the decision but not restarting anything not be an option? I could see narrow rulings appealed, which wouldn't affect more than one person's vote.

5. I don't know if this needs to be in our rules, but I think we should have more contact information for one another than just forum accounts. Email at the very least, if not more.

6. I think our procedures should specify that votes must be held in this forum, and official business in public venues (and logged to this forum, if in other venues than this forum).

7. Should the procedures specify what happens to private ballot private info in the case of challenges?

Back