Discord
abc#8265
Official Regional Turtle Bill:
The following changes to the legal code shall be made:

#1. The Title of Section 10.1 of the Legal Code shall be changed as follows:
Section 10.1: Regional Emblems and Objects of Importance
#2. At the end of this section, the following clauses will be added:
Eluvatar as Regional Turtle
Someone had to suggest it. Even if it's nearly identical to COE's example of a bill in 'How a Bill Becomes a Law'.

What!? No! Haven't you heard the rumors!? I have a reputable source that says that Eluvatar is not, in fact, a turtle, but simply a wax figurine of a turtle! I will not stand for a law such as this, which spreads such lies! Won't anybody think of the children!?

Darcania:
What!? No! Haven't you heard the rumors!? I have a reputable source that says that Eluvatar is not, in fact, a turtle, but simply a wax figurine of a turtle! I will not stand for a law such as this, which spreads such lies! Won't anybody think of the children!?
I didn't specify that the turtle had to be living or sentient. :P

Technically, Eluvatar is a turtle candle, not an actual turtle.
icon_e_ugeek.gif

EDIT: Just re-read your last reply. You're lame.

Funkadelia:
Technically, Eluvatar is a turtle candle, not an actual turtle.
icon_e_ugeek.gif

EDIT: Just re-read your last reply. You're lame.
Still a turtle.

Eluvatar is an absentee turtle and I am not comfortable legislating on the topic while the turtle is absent. Produce him and have him speak his opinion and I shall vote according to his stance.

Lord Ravenclaw:
Eluvatar is an absentee turtle and I am not comfortable legislating on the topic while the turtle is absent. Produce him and have him speak his opinion and I shall vote according to his stance.
I agree.

BRING. US. THE TURTLE.

Funkadelia:
Lord Ravenclaw:
I agree.

BRING. US. THE TURTLE.
WE NEED TURTLE! WE NEED TURTLE!

...If this bill passes and Eluvatar fails to take his oath as Regional Turtle within 7 days, would we have to hold a special election?

I would suggest giving this more time for people to discuss. Eluvatar is not currently active, and cultural declarations like this carry some weight. There's no need to rush.

No. This bill is only having the success it's currently enjoying because it's specific to Eluvatar who has done so much for TNP over the years; from Foreign Affairs, Security, the World Assembly and Administration - Eluvatar has been a stalwart in those areas and more.

Lord Ravenclaw:
No. This bill is only having the success it's currently enjoying because it's specific to Eluvatar who has done so much for TNP over the years; from Foreign Affairs, Security, the World Assembly and Administration - Eluvatar has been a stalwart in those areas and more.
True, it shall be kept for Eluvatar. Eluvatar whether here or not, should be made regional turtle of TNP for their service to the region.

When the turtle, Eluvatar has said their mind, then i will consider a for vote for this. It depends if Eluvatar is comfortable with being the official turtle

Brend0g:
When the turtle, Eluvatar has said their mind, then i will consider a for vote for this. It depends if Eluvatar is comfortable with being the official turtle
The only problem is that Eluvatar isn't very active, so it might be hard to get a hold of them.

In 2012 Eluvatar went rogue and ejected me from this region, an action which the Court later determined to be illegal. I don't see why we are trying to honor a former rogue delegate.

Barbarossistan:
The bill does not specify if the "regional turtle is a government official or not. It should do that.
It does, though - implicitly. The position of regional turtle is not a constitutionally-mandated elected one, nor is it one appointed by a constitutionally-mandated elected official as permitted by law, nor does it imply a position in the Security Council. Therefore, any regional turtle is not a government official under this draft of the law.

Barbarossistan:
The bill does not specify if the "regional turtle is a government official or not. It should do that.
Added. Thanks for your suggestion!

Darcania:
Barbarossistan:
It does, though - implicitly. The position of regional turtle is not a constitutionally-mandated elected one, nor is it one appointed by a constitutionally-mandated elected official as permitted by law, nor does it imply a position in the Security Council. Therefore, any regional turtle is not a government official under this draft of the law.
Correct.

~ABC

Ok, ood clarification, thus should resolve the issue of taking an oath as well. An emblem unlike an official does not seem to require an oath

abc:
Barbarossistan:
I think such a specification is entirely unnecessary - the Constitution is already very clear on who is a government official and who is not. You don't see other positions defined in the law mention whether they're government officials or not.

Darcania:
abc:
Barbarossistan:
I think such a specification is entirely unnecessary - the Constitution is already very clear on who is a government official and who is not. You don't see other positions defined in the law mention whether they're government officials or not.
True, I'll remove that.

"The people of Iraelia would like to know, on what way is the nation of Eluvatar a turtle? Furthermore, we would like to know why the creation of a Regional Turtle is in anyway necessary. I feel that this bill, and debate, is a waste of time for the Regional Assembly."

Mall:
In 2012 Eluvatar went rogue and ejected me from this region, an action which the Court later determined to be illegal. I don't see why we are trying to honor a former rogue delegate.
"Is that so? This is most troubling... Please send me the exact records from the court case. If you are indeed telling the truth, I cannot consciously support this bill."

The constitution does not require that all government officials are provided for in the constitution, on the contrary, it foresees the appointment of officials "as provided by law". The constitution does list the elected offices but does not make those the only possible positions. So regional turtle could be a government official it seems.

Barbarossistan:
The constitution does not require that all government officials are provided for in the constitution, on the contrary, it foresees the appointment of officials "as provided by law". The constitution does list the elected offices but does not make those the only possible positions. So regional turtle could be a government official it seems.
It could be, but I'd rather have it serve as an emblem or a symbol.

Question: If we recognize Eluvatar as the Regional Turtle, why not also:

McMasterdonia as Regional Lion
R3naissanc3r as Regional Penguin
Democratic Donkeys as Regional Ass
Lord Ravenclaw as Regional Raven
Former English Colony as Regional Rabbit
Syrixia as Regional Giraffe
Or myself as Regional Guinea Pig

Hm?

Barbarossistan:
No, it could not, as it is not an elected position, a member of the Security Council, or appointed by an elected official. The Constitution is quite clear on this - in fact, it's even stricter than that, as an official appointed must be appointed in accordance with the law. Nowhere in this law does it establish the regional turtle being elected, a member of the Security Council, or appointed by an elected official as permitted by law.

Bootsie:

Hm?
You forgot someone...

Bootsie:

Hm?
Because the turtle is eternal. Others are not. Sorry.

Back