ABC for Attorney General

abc

Duck
TNP Nation
ABC
Discord
abc#8265
Hello all of The North Pacific! My nation is ABC and I am running for Attorney General. Some of you may know me from Discord, but the rest of you probably don't know me (or at least know me very well). As I am just an average citizen and not much more, I feel I can speak very well for the people. I'm relatively new to NS as I only started in September but believe that is an advantage as I can speak for the newcomers as well. I believe it's up to the citizens to decide what happens in their region and if elected, will do everything in my power to help bring the citizens ideas into play.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Code:
[url=http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9043414/1/][img]https://s1.postimg.org/ffhia2zsb/voteabcforatg2017.png[/img][/url]

Enderking539:
Will you be better than Darc is now?
Yes! I hold great respect for Darcania, but believe I might be able to do even better than him because I feel I'll be able to represent the citizens better.

Why do you feel that you would serve as a better representative of the citizens than the current incumbent Attorney General?

Lord Ravenclaw:
Why do you feel that you would serve as a better representative of the citizens than the current incumbent Attorney General?
Since I don't currently hold an elected position, I know what it's like being a citizen in which the vast majority have never held an elected office.

abc:
For a while, Darcania wasn't active on Discord (although he recently rejoined) and since I don't currently hold an elected position, I know what it's like being a citizen in which the vast majority have never held an elected office.
As just a quick note, I left the Discord (for only a couple days at most, mind you) to concentrate as much as I could on updating NationCogs, especially since Plemby asked me for specific features for use by the WALL (which I am a staff member of), and there were a few serious bugs in the initial release. As for the elected office part, this is my very first elected office, same as it would be for you if you should win.

Not sure how appropriate it is to comment on the campaign thread of a (potential, since I'm unsure if I'm running yet) competitor, but this line of reasoning is a little... strange.

Darcania:
abc:
For a while, Darcania wasn't active on Discord (although he recently rejoined) and since I don't currently hold an elected position, I know what it's like being a citizen in which the vast majority have never held an elected office.
As just a quick note, I left the Discord (for only a couple days at most, mind you) to concentrate as much as I could on updating NationCogs, especially since Plemby asked me for specific features for use by the WALL (which I am a staff member of), and there were a few serious bugs in the initial release. As for the elected office part, this is my very first elected office, same as it would be for you if you should win.

Not sure how appropriate it is to comment on the campaign thread of a (potential, since I'm unsure if I'm running yet) competitor, but this line of reasoning is a little... strange.
True enough, I didn't realize what you were busy with. I withdraw that statement.

How do you respond to those who say that you are actually an agent of a foreign power, planted here to try to win the AG slot so that if an impending coup attempt fails those who committed the crimes won't be competently prosecuted?

Mall:
How do you respond to those who say that you are actually an agent of a foreign power, planted here to try to win the AG slot so that if an impending coup attempt fails those who committed the crimes won't be competently prosecuted?
Anyone who says that is either trying to get me disqualified from the election or is extremely misinformed. I truly am the nation of ABC in TNP and have no devious intentions whatsoever. I don't support coups as they are a violation of democratic rights and have no intention of helping anyone involved in a coup. I only believe in fair court rulings and anyone involved in a coup would be immediately prosecuted and banned from TNP.

abc:
Mall:
Anyone who says that is either trying to get me disqualified from the election or is extremely misinformed. I truly am the nation of ABC in TNP and have no devious intentions whatsoever. I don't support coups as they are a violation of democratic rights and have no intention of helping anyone involved in a coup. I only believe in fair court rulings and anyone involved in a coup would be immediately prosecuted and banned from TNP.
How would you respond to those who say that going forward in this questioning period Mall (me) will be more lenient towards you because he views you as the weaker AG when compared to Funk, thereby subverting Funk's candidacy and ensuring that a less capable prosecutor is elected, allowing nefarious schemes to emerge?

Mall:
abc:
Mall:
How would you respond to those who say that going forward in this questioning period Mall (me) will be more lenient towards you because he views you as the weaker AG when compared to Funk, thereby subverting Funk's candidacy and ensuring that a less capable prosecutor is elected, allowing nefarious schemes to emerge?
I respond that it seems you will not be more lenient to me as you are giving me tough questions in the first place, some of which could become so impossible to answer that I'd lose because of your questioning and therefore there is a relatively equal chance of I or Funk winning.

abc:
True enough, I didn't realize what you were busy with. I withdraw that statement.
Now that you've withdrawn that statement, I'd be interested in hearing another answer to Raven's question:
Lord Ravenclaw:

Darcania:
abc:
Now that you've withdrawn that statement, I'd be interested in hearing another answer to Raven's question:
Lord Ravenclaw:
I'd make sure to always be on the citizens side no matter what, and I'd give the citizens a bigger say in government making sure that is was their government, not just he elected official's government.

abc:
I'd make sure to always be on the citizens side no matter what, and I'd give the citizens a bigger say in government making sure that is was their government, not just he elected official's government.
Could you specify what you mean by being "on the citizens' side"? Furthermore, could you do me a quick favor and tell me what the AG's duties are?

Further, the only office you have power over is the AG's office, which is quite small compared to the executive. As well, the AG's work necessitates secrecy in the vast majority of cases. How would you go about making them have a bigger say in the work of your office?

Finally, how would you do the above beyond what I have already done here and here?

As a personal note as well, I'm interested in how you think I was not on the citizens' side during my term, and how I turned it into "the elected official's government" instead of TNP's government? I honestly don't know whether I should be insulted by these implications you're making or not.

Darcania:
abc:
Could you specify what you mean by being "on the citizens' side"? Furthermore, could you do me a quick favor and tell me what the AG's duties are?

Further, the only office you have power over is the AG's office, which is quite small compared to the executive. As well, the AG's work necessitates secrecy in the vast majority of cases. How would you go about making them have a bigger say in the work of your office?

Finally, how would you do the above beyond what I have already done here and here?

As a personal note as well, I'm interested in how you think I was not on the citizens' side during my term, and how I turned it into "the elected official's government" instead of TNP's government? I honestly don't know whether I should be insulted by these implications you're making or not.
I mean that I'd do things for the better good of the citizens. The Attorney General's duties are to represent the citizens of The North Pacific in legal cases and to furthermore enforce laws and provide legal advice to government officials and agencies.

I do understand that the AG's office is quite small compared to the executive branch. I would make sure that I hear from as many citizens as I could regarding actions I should take therefore making them have a bigger say in the work of the AG's office.

I would try to implement a way of having the Deputy Attorney Generals in my office be elected officials rather than chosen solely by the AG so that the people would have a say in who would be best for the job.

I don't in any way mean to insult you by these implications I have given. It is true that you have been on the citizen's side during your term, but I believe that I could do more in the interests of the people in the ways listed above. I respect you as AG and only want to build upon the work you've already done to make this be even more of a government for the citizens.

Are there any legal controversies in TNP law which you presently think would warrant the use of the inherent standing to bring judicial review which you would enjoy as Attorney General, if elected? If so, what are they and why do you consider that they warrant judicial review? If not, in what circumstances, generally, would you consider use of the Attorney General's inherent standing appropriate?

The Attorney General is constitutionally required to act as legal adviser to officers of the executive on request, if you were requested to so act by the Delegate and advised that a particular act by them would, in your belief, be unlawful and they nonetheless did that act, how would you respond? Would your response differ if the officer was the Vice Delegate or a Minister?

Is the current law on sentencing sufficient? Whether or not it is, could it be improved in any particular way?

Zyvetskistaahn:
Are there any legal controversies in TNP law which you presently think would warrant the use of the inherent standing to bring judicial review which you would enjoy as Attorney General, if elected? If so, what are they and why do you consider that they warrant judicial review? If not, in what circumstances, generally, would you consider use of the Attorney General's inherent standing appropriate?

The Attorney General is constitutionally required to act as legal adviser to officers of the executive on request, if you were requested to so act by the Delegate and advised that a particular act by them would, in your belief, be unlawful and they nonetheless did that act, how would you respond? Would your response differ if the officer was the Vice Delegate or a Minister?

Is the current law on sentencing sufficient? Whether or not it is, could it be improved in any particular way?
No. Circumstances for me to take a judicial review in would need to be only in cases that either involved outside interference (ex. meddling in an election) or cases that had gone on for at least 2 weeks and still hadn't come to a conclusion.

I'd strongly condemn their actions and start an investigation into their actions. Whether they were a Vice Delegate, a Minister, or any other position of power they'd receive the same response and the same actions would be taken against them.

I believe that that laws on sentencing are sufficient except that the punishment for adspam should not include banning (although ejection should still be allowed), but instead include suspension of basic speaking rights and they should be banned from all discord servers for an amount of time approved by the AG based on the severity of the adspam.

2 questions
List 2 and a half reasons why I should vote for you instead of an experienced and season candidate that's actually been in NS for over 6 months?
What's your favorite type of cactus?

Junie:
2 questions
List 2 and a half reasons why I should vote for you instead of an experienced and season candidate that's actually been in NS for over 6 months?
What's your favorite type of cactus?
#1. I know the Citizens. I've never been in an elected or major position in TNP before so can relate to the citizens.

#2. I have been in NS for over 6 months with a different nation which is no longer active. I also have a devotion to the citizens and promise to [if elected] set up a 'people's thoughts' section on the AG's Office section of the forum for the people to suggest ideas and proposals.

#2.5. Funkadelia has publicly admitted to thinking about setting a coup up in TNP to become delegate. I'd never think of commiting such a hanous act.

-removed by Raven- Screenshot from a citizens only channel, shared without consent of those involved in the quoted conversation.

My favorite cactus is the prickly pear. It's pretty and it yields fruit. What more could one ask for?

Um, would you mind not sharing logs from channels that are only visible to citizens on the server in a public area without seeking permission of those involved first?

Admin note: removed the screenshot

Ftr, I'm Feathers on there btw. It was a joking conversation. Funkadelia has been involved in various offices in TNP over the years, and I very much doubt that he'd perpetrate a coup of The North Pacific, and even more so, he wouldn't joke about it beforehand.

A word of advice: don't base campaigns off of joking conversations.

1. Could you answer my question, which you seem to have skipped?

2. Your words come across as incredibly patronising towards those who have held office in TNP and in many cases have given hundreds of hours to the community, when you say that because of this they cannot represent "average" citizens.

3. Your platform is very vague, which is unsurprising since you have only been around a short time. Why did you not consider becoming an assistant AG (as so many do), learning more about our laws, engaging in the internal debates of the AG's office and THEN running for major office.

abc:
Zyvetskistaahn:

No. Circumstances for me to take a judicial review in would need to be only in cases that either involved outside interference (ex. meddling in an election) or cases that had gone on for at least 2 weeks and still hadn't come to a conclusion.

I'd strongly condemn their actions and start an investigation into their actions. Whether they were a Vice Delegate, a Minister, or any other position of power they'd receive the same response and the same actions would be taken against them.

I believe that that laws on sentencing are sufficient except that the punishment for adspam should not include banning (although ejection should still be allowed), but instead include suspension of basic speaking rights and they should be banned from all discord servers for an amount of time approved by the AG based on the severity of the adspam.
Thank you for your answers. I have a number of follow ups.

In relation to my first question: your opponent has suggested that among the circumstances in which he may bring a matter for judicial review, one is where no one else would be likely to have standing to do so, you, however, do not seem to have mentioned such, why is this? Could you explain the second class of matters you may think appropriate for judicial review a bit further (that is, "[those] that had gone on for at least 2 weeks and still hadn't come to a conclusion")?

In relation to the second question: Do you believe that issues may arise, in relation to any potential criminal action, as a result of the operation of the provisions of Section 7.4, clauses 22-24 of the Codified Law? What would be the status, in relation to any potential criminal action against them, of the advice given to the official?[note]EDIT: clarification on this question, as it seems I may not have been wholly clear in relation to what I meant by asking as to the status of the advice given to the official: there does not appear to have been any consideration of the issue of legal privilege in TNP, presumably because there does not appear to be a power to require evidence to be given for the purposes of prosecution and so there has been no attempt to use it to require legal advice be disclosed (the power of the Court to require evidence seems only to extend to exculpatory evidence (Re: the Existence of a Duty to Disclose; Re: the power of the Court to subpoena evidence)), so would it be open to the Attorney General to use the advice given for the purpose of a prosecution (for instance, to prove that a violation of a law was done knowing it was a violation)?[/note] Could the constitutional requirement to act as legal adviser to the official extend to a requirement to act as their defence counsel in relation to any criminal action, presuming such action was not the result of ignoring advice previously given to them?

In relation to the third, why do you consider banning an inappropriate sentence? Why ought the punishment, whether for adspam or for any crime, be approved by the Attorney General?

If I was to say that I do not believe that you are experienced, reliable or knowledgable of our laws enough for the office of Attorney General, how would you prove me wrong?

Kasch:
If I was to say that I do not believe that you are experienced, reliable or knowledgable of our laws enough for the office of Attorney General, how would you prove me wrong?
I have been around for much longer than 6 months, about a year with a different nation so do have a bit of experience. I know quite a bit about your laws as I've been reviewing them over the past couple weeks and I am definitely reliable as I am on as often as I can be, every day, a few hours a day. I am involved in NS so often that I don't have time to do a whole lot else. You can rely on me, I'm pretty knowledgeable of your laws, and I have a bit of experience.

abc:
Kasch:
I have been around for much longer than 6 months, about a year with a different nation so do have a bit of experience. I know quite a bit about your laws as I've been reviewing them over the past couple weeks and I am definitely reliable as I am on as often as I can be, every day, a few hours a day. I am involved in NS so often that I don't have time to do a whole lot else. You can rely on me, I'm pretty knowledgeable of your laws, and I have a bit of experience.
And how have you got the upper hand over people like COE and Funkadelia? These two have been here for years more than you've been, have much more experience, have served in court capacities before and know what they'll be doing. What gives you the edge in this election?

Darcania:
abc:
I'm pretty knowledgeable of your laws, ...
To be honest, from what I've seen in your answers in this very thread, I'm not convinced of this.
Being pretty knowledgable, now that I think about it, is nowhere near enough. It is atleast expected that the AG have more than just a 'pretty' good understanding, and perhaps in some peoples' views - have a flawless understanding.

abc:
Kasch:
Your laws? Don't you mean "our laws"?

Mall:
abc:
Kasch:
Your laws? Don't you mean "our laws"?
Yes - that was a typo.

Zyvetskistaahn:
abc:
Zyvetskistaahn:

Thank you for your answers. I have a number of follow ups.

In relation to my first question: your opponent has suggested that among the circumstances in which he may bring a matter for judicial review, one is where no one else would be likely to have standing to do so, you, however, do not seem to have mentioned such, why is this? Could you explain the second class of matters you may think appropriate for judicial review a bit further (that is, "[those] that had gone on for at least 2 weeks and still hadn't come to a conclusion")?

In relation to the second question: Do you believe that issues may arise, in relation to any potential criminal action, as a result of the operation of the provisions of Section 7.4, clauses 22-24 of the Codified Law? What would be the status, in relation to any potential criminal action against them, of the advice given to the official?[note]EDIT: clarification on this question, as it seems I may not have been wholly clear in relation to what I meant by asking as to the status of the advice given to the official: there does not appear to have been any consideration of the issue of legal privilege in TNP, presumably because there does not appear to be a power to require evidence to be given for the purposes of prosecution and so there has been no attempt to use it to require legal advice be disclosed (the power of the Court to require evidence seems only to extend to exculpatory evidence (Re: the Existence of a Duty to Disclose; Re: the power of the Court to subpoena evidence)), so would it be open to the Attorney General to use the advice given for the purpose of a prosecution (for instance, to prove that a violation of a law was done knowing it was a violation)?[/note] Could the constitutional requirement to act as legal adviser to the official extend to a requirement to act as their defence counsel in relation to any criminal action, presuming such action was not the result of ignoring advice previously given to them?

In relation to the third, why do you consider banning an inappropriate sentence? Why ought the punishment, whether for adspam or for any crime, be approved by the Attorney General?
I haven't had time to respond to this one yet - I will soon.

Kasch:
Darcania:
abc:
To be honest, from what I've seen in your answers in this very thread, I'm not convinced of this.
Being pretty knowledgable, know that I think about it, is nowhere near enough. It is atleast expected that the AG have more than just a 'pretty' good understanding, and perhaps in some peoples' views - have a flawless understanding.
I tend to word things incorrectly sometimes, I do have a good understanding of the laws in TNP and believe I could effectively use this understanding if elected.

Darcania:
abc:
I've been learning more and more about the laws as this discussion has progressed and you can see that my answers are getting better and better because of this. My understanding of the laws in not flawless but I'd consider it to be good.

Kasch:
abc:
Kasch:
And how have you got the upper hand over people like COE and Funkadelia? These two have been here for years more than you've been, have much more experience, have served in court capacities before and know what they'll be doing. What gives you the edge in this election?
I can relate better to the citizens, especially the newer ones. Funkadelia and COE may be able to relate to the older citizens better, but I feel that the new citizens need to feel welcome and many may only stay if they can relate and befriend others. The new citizens will eventually be running everything, so they need to feel welcomed if they're going to stay. Plus COE isn't running for AG.

Why do you say you can represent citizens better, in an office that is meant to be an impartial body of the law? Do you mean that in cases of the government vs a citizen you will always be taking the citizens side? And what particular programme would you pursue if elected besides utilising bumper stickeresque slogans? And why despite answering almost all questions put to you, do you ignore Flemingovia's questions?

abc:
Kasch:
abc:
Kasch:
I can relate better to the citizens, especially the newer ones. Funkadelia and COE may be able to relate to the older citizens better, but I feel that the new citizens need to feel welcome and many may only stay if they can relate and befriend others. The new citizens will eventually be running everything, so they need to feel welcomed if they're going to stay. Plus COE isn't running for AG.
My mistake, I'd not realized at the time of posting as it was quite late and I was fairly tired.

Other than being able to represent the citizens better, an assumption of which I believe you have very little logical or actual standing in, what else can you bring to the office of the Attorney General?

The reason I believe you have little standing in making the assumption that you represent the citizens better, is because there are hundreds of citizens and members of this community in exactly the same situation as you. Just because you are a citizen, does not mean you know exactly how to represent every single citizen in our region. You have experienced being a citizen the exact same way as everyone else, so how are you able to represent the citizens any better than Funkadelia?

Cogoria:
Why do you say you can represent citizens better, in an office that is meant to be an impartial body of the law? Do you mean that in cases of the government vs a citizen you will always be taking the citizens side? And what particular programme would you pursue if elected besides utilising bumper stickeresque slogans? And why despite answering almost all questions put to you, do you ignore Flemingovia's questions?
Firstly, I have had quite a few questions to answer so at first glance I missed Flemingovia's question. I only just saw it so will reply to it. Also, I don't mean that I'll always be on the citizens side. There are some times when I would need to be on the government's side. All I mean is that I'd try to relate to the citizens as best as I could.

flemingovia:
If you could unilaterally change one law in TNP, which one would it be?
Within Court Laws and Procedures, chapter 5 - section 2 I'd like to change. I believe the private court records should not immediately be released after reaching 1 year of age. I believe all justices should first confirm that it safe to release the records before releasing them.

Back