official floof
-
Pronouns
he/they
TNP Nation
Darcania
Discord
@zephyrkul
Following the recent court ruling, I propose the following amendment to the Legal Code:
Evidence Redaction Bill:
Section 7.4 of the Legal Code will be amended to add the following clause:
23. No person shall be involved in any decision to withhold or redact evidence relevant to any case of which they are the defendant, a defense attorney, or managing the prosecution.
Attorney General Bill:
23. Any person shall not be involved in any decision to withhold or redact evidence relevant to any case of which they are the defendant, the defense attorney, or managing the prosecution.
Attorney General Bill:
28. The Attorney General shall not be involved in any decision to withhold or redact evidence relevant to any case of which they are managing the prosecution.

flemingovia:
Could this be expanded to include defendants and counsel for the defence?
Good idea. I also note that a strict reading of my bill, if it becomes law, would allow Deputies who are prosecuting to get away with what this bill seeks to prevent. One moment while I edit the OP.

Darcania:
Following the recent court ruling, I propose the following amendment to the Legal Code:
Attorney General Bill:
23. Any person shall not be involved in any decision to withhold or redact evidence relevant to any case of which they are the defendant, the defense attorney, or managing the prosecution.
Attorney General Bill:
28. The Attorney General shall not be involved in any decision to withhold or redact evidence relevant to any case of which they are managing the prosecution.
Syntax correction:

Any No person shall not be involved in any decision to withhold or redact evidence relevant to any case of which they are the defendant, the defense attorney, or managing the prosecution.

Tomb:
I think this is a common sense amendment. Full support.
:agree:

The only thing I would do is change the definite article in front of "defence attorney" for an indefinite article to remove a potential loophole.

OP edited. Thanks for the suggestions.

Romanoffia:
Any No person shall not be involved in any decision to withhold or redact evidence relevant to any case of which they are the defendant, the defense attorney, or managing the prosecution.
I have a slight issue with this in that it would seem "they" would refer back to "no person", resulting in... something unintended, but I think that's just my sleep-addled mind freaking out over nothing. I put your suggested edit into the OP anyway.

I think it would be good not just for the principle of a fair trial but also for the appearence of fairness for this to pass.

I will save further thoughts for my PM blast.

Oh, I think the thread title probably ought to be changed since it is no longer just about the AG. Any Mod or admin can do that for you.

This isn't a very good idea. The Court lays out an appropriate framework for when evidence may be redacted.

The court administers laws set by the RA. That is why they ruled as they did in the recent R4R. Sovereignty in law lies with the RA.

Great Bights Mum:
I like it. Not to split hairs, but does anyone else think "case in which" sounds better than "case of which"?
I considered it, but the phrase "managing the prosecution of a case" is explicitly defined in the Legal Code, so I wanted to make sure to use its grammatical equivalent in this proposal, just to be careful.

I think this bill's looking good, and there's a lot of support for it already.

I move for a vote.

Eek, dat grammar. "Of" is definitely not the preposition that you want. How about:
23. No member of the defense or the prosecution in a criminal case may be involved in a decision to withhold or redact evidence for that case.

Now, that out of the way, I'm not sure that this is going to work very well in practice. There are some situations where an individual must be involved in original redaction decision - for example, the delegate over executive content. Even the act of naming someone to make the decision on their behalf could qualify as "being involved", under the hypothesis that they might be naming someone sympathetic to their position. Alternatively, in the SC, matters are decided by discussion and vote. I think it's problematic to ban an SC member from voicing an opinion even if they abstain on the actual vote - do we really think the whole SC is so naive corruptible that they'll ignore or overlook an outright attempt of misfeasance?

I really don't think this is necessary at all. The court's ruling sets up a sane and reasonable procedure for declassification, one which firmly establishes the court's power to make a final decision on the classification or declassification of evidence. An independent, third-party review is really all that's required to ensure no government official is breaking the law or withholding evidence, and that's what we have.

I'm open to being convinced, though, so if anyone can make a persuasive argument as to why this additional restriction is necessary, given that independent third-party review, I am all ears.

SillyString:
Eek, dat grammar. "Of" is definitely not the preposition that you want. How about:
23. No member of the defense or the prosecution in a criminal case may be involved in a decision to withhold or redact evidence for that case.

Now, that out of the way, I'm not sure that this is going to work very well in practice. There are some situations where an individual must be involved in original redaction decision - for example, the delegate over executive content. Even the act of naming someone to make the decision on their behalf could qualify as "being involved", under the hypothesis that they might be naming someone sympathetic to their position. Alternatively, in the SC, matters are decided by discussion and vote. I think it's problematic to ban an SC member from voicing an opinion even if they abstain on the actual vote - do we really think the whole SC is so naive corruptible that they'll ignore or overlook an outright attempt of misfeasance?

I really don't think this is necessary at all. The court's ruling sets up a sane and reasonable procedure for declassification, one which firmly establishes the court's power to make a final decision on the classification or declassification of evidence. An independent, third-party review is really all that's required to ensure no government official is breaking the law or withholding evidence, and that's what we have.

I'm open to being convinced, though, so if anyone can make a persuasive argument as to why this additional restriction is necessary, given that independent third-party review, I am all ears.
"Even the act of naming someone to make the decision on their behalf could qualify as "being involved", under the hypothesis that they might be naming someone sympathetic to their position."

While I agree that it could be considered by law to be involved by naming someone, that only fits the loosest of any definition which in my respectful opinion, is kind of being a smart aleck. I believe that there should be some kind of agreed-upon point where infinitesimal correlations of the argument are not included.

"do we really think the whole SC is so naive corruptible that they'll ignore or overlook an outright attempt of misfeasance?"

I know that I am new, but hasn't that happened before?

SillyString:
Now, that out of the way, I'm not sure that this is going to work very well in practice.
Wrong. It will work.

SillyString:
There are some situations where an individual must be involved in original redaction decision - for example, the delegate over executive content.
True.

SillyString:
Even the act of naming someone to make the decision on their behalf could qualify as "being involved", under the hypothesis that they might be naming someone sympathetic to their position.
If this is how you interpret statutes, your approach to judicial philosophy is quite unnerving. Not only that, your hypothetical actually proves the point that such an amendment is necessary to guide the conduct of government officials.

SillyString:
Alternatively, in the SC, matters are decided by discussion and vote. I think it's problematic to ban an SC member from voicing an opinion even if they abstain on the actual vote - do we really think the whole SC is so naive corruptible that they'll ignore or overlook an outright attempt of misfeasance?
You cleverly set up this argument as one that will infringe upon free speech. Not only is your right to free speech guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, but the government must actively encourage it. That said, this bill would bar an individual from withholding or redacting the evidence while either acting as defense counsel or managing the prosecution of a criminal case. It is infringing on the actions you may take, not the opinions you may voice.

SillyString:
I really don't think this is necessary at all.
It is.

SillyString:
The court's ruling sets up a sane and reasonable procedure for declassification, one which firmly establishes the court's power to make a final decision on the classification or declassification of evidence.
We're not talking about the court. But since you brought it up, decisions of the court are not outside the bounds of political considerations.

SillyString:
An independent, third-party review is really all that's required to ensure no government official is breaking the law or withholding evidence, and that's what we have.
Really? Is that all that's required? What about an ethical code to guide government officials in the execution of their duties? Surely that would be helpful in clearly delineating what is and is not acceptable conduct.

Argonisi Hub:
I believe that there should be some kind of agreed-upon point where infinitesimal correlations of the argument are not included.
That's all well and good to believe, but this is TNP. More annoying things than infinitesimal correlations have happened.

I'm actually being serious in pointing out that this potential interpretation could be a problem.

Ash:
SillyString:
Now, that out of the way, I'm not sure that this is going to work very well in practice.
Wrong. It will work.
That's all very well to assert, but you have no outright evidence of that - nor a strong case that the existing system is failing.

SillyString:
There are some situations where an individual must be involved in original redaction decision - for example, the delegate over executive content.
True.
So... you grant that my concern is entirely true, and offer no suggestion or alternative that would correct that issue? If the law is going to prevent someone from being involved in the decision, that's going to cause a major problem in any case where they have to be involved by law.

SillyString:
Even the act of naming someone to make the decision on their behalf could qualify as "being involved", under the hypothesis that they might be naming someone sympathetic to their position.
If this is how you interpret statutes, your approach to judicial philosophy is quite unnerving. Not only that, your hypothetical actually proves the point that such an amendment is necessary to guide the conduct of government officials.
If you'd prefer to attack me rather than answer my argument, you're free to do that, but it doesn't actually address the concern I raised.

TNP legal history is in no way immune from this kind of thinking - if you read over old threads, you'll see it pops up sometimes in absurd ways. Less absurdly, we still take the entirely reasonable step of not allowing a justice who has recused themself from a case to vote on who to appoint as a hearing officer to replace them. It's not that we think justices are untrustworthy, but that biasing an outcome in that case is possible and thus that possibility needs to be avoided.

It's also not clear that it's a legal solution for a delegate to appoint someone else to declassify things, as the law explicitly puts that responsibility on the delegate themself.

SillyString:
Alternatively, in the SC, matters are decided by discussion and vote. I think it's problematic to ban an SC member from voicing an opinion even if they abstain on the actual vote - do we really think the whole SC is so naive corruptible that they'll ignore or overlook an outright attempt of misfeasance?
You cleverly set up this argument as one that will infringe upon free speech. Not only is your right to free speech guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, but the government must actively encourage it. That said, this bill would bar an individual from withholding or redacting the evidence while either acting as defense counsel or managing the prosecution of a criminal case. It is infringing on the actions you may take, not the opinions you may voice.
Here you are entirely wrong. The bill as proposed bans "involvement", not making the decision. For decisions made by vote - like in the SC - discussion and offering opinions is involvement.

If that's not the intent, the language should have been - needs to be - clarified.

SillyString:
I really don't think this is necessary at all.
It is.
Again, nice assertion, but not backed up with fact, or by the current system failing.

SillyString:
The court's ruling sets up a sane and reasonable procedure for declassification, one which firmly establishes the court's power to make a final decision on the classification or declassification of evidence.
We're not talking about the court. But since you brought it up, decisions of the court are not outside the bounds of political considerations.
Of course we're talking about the court - this bill is directly following a court ruling that addresses exactly this issue, in a much more sane and balanced way than this.

But I look forward to seeing your proposal to amend FOIA, which - like the court ruling - gives the court the power to adjudicate classification disagreements. Obviously if the court cannot be trusted to handle the one, it should not be trusted to handle the other.

SillyString:
An independent, third-party review is really all that's required to ensure no government official is breaking the law or withholding evidence, and that's what we have.
Really? Is that all that's required? What about an ethical code to guide government officials in the execution of their duties? Surely that would be helpful in clearly delineating what is and is not acceptable conduct.
[/quote]
An ethical code? You mean, like the oath all government officials must swear?

Thisisn't an ethical code, and it doesn't provide any guidelines for acceptable conduct outside of what it simply bans without flexibility. It's a poorly grammared overreach.

I will note that I have lodged a vote against - partly because of the poor phrasing of the bill, but also because nobody's actually made a case as to why this is better than the system already in place.

Back