[Special Chambers] Evidence handling in TNP vs TSRONK

Discord
COE#7110
This is the thread for deliberation on the request for review filed by Attorney General Ash here. Please take the take to read it if you have not done so already. If you were not following the case of TNP vs. TSRONK, you may find it useful to skim through that thread as well, reading more carefully when you see phrases like "conflict of interest" or "classified". Please also read the briefs by Ash, flemingovia, Eluvatar, and SillyString (Part 1 and Part 2). In addition, this recent court ruling will likely be relevant.

I had intended to present my initial thoughts tonight, but since a couple briefs came in at the last minute, I've had to rethink things a bit, and will need to read through the law some before I have anything coherent to post. This is just as well, since we're still waiting for Barbarossistan to be granted access to these chambers. Please feel free to get the ball rolling though. Here are the basic questions I feel we need to rule on:

1. Generally, does it violate the bill of rights for a prosecutor to handle, or take part in redacting, evidence that contains classified information before it is released, by virtue of another position they hold in the government?

2. Specifically, did SillyString violate the right of TSRONK to a fair, impartial, and public trial when she took part, as a member of the Security Council, in redacting an SC discussion of the defendant? Does it matter that this discussion's release was requested by the defense, and not the prosecution?

3. What legal process should be followed when evidence that contains classified information must be released? Are there any parties that must refrain from taking part in that process?

Our ruling is not necessarily limited to those questions, so don't hold back if you feel there are other germane issues that need to be addressed here.

One further issue I think we should address is the optics of the redacting of evidence by a (dual-hatted) prosecutor. Even if we hold that there is no material violation of the right to fair trial we could find that it *looks* bad enough to be impermissible. After all, Justice must no only be done, it must be seen to be done. If certain actions while technically no violation are widely seen as infringing the right to fair trial it may be best to not permit them. The (objectified) perception of the defendant and the public is important in this.

One of the things I take out of the BoR when reading it is that the appearance of a fair trial is important too. Not only does a trial have to be fair, it must seem to be fair. The summary of my thoughts is much in line with flem’s opinion that SillyString didn’t use the situation to her advantage, but that she could have.
2) I think it makes no difference that it was requested by the defence. I also feel that duality doesn’t go so far as to enable one person holding two distinct roles (rather than two hats of the same role).
3) Parties directly involved in the trial should not take part in that process unless it is not possible for the process to happen without their involvement.
I don’t agree with most of the argument’s in SillyString’s brief. I don’t think FOIA is relevant as it is a different situation to a court evidence release and I don’t think duality extends as she argues.

I’m still processing this but this is where I’m at for now.

I have considerable sympathy for Sillystring's argument that regardless of who makes the decision to withhold or redact evidence there is no violation of fair trial since the decision can be reviewed by the court. In this line of reasoning the involvement of an AG in the decision is not problematic since the safeguard of fair trial (court review) remains in place. I am not sure I like the optics of this though and as noted I find those relevant (as it seems does Abbey Anumia)

my preliminary view then, following COE's outline, is this:

1. no, as the decision is subject to court review, but see 4.
2. no violation took place, see 1. but see 4. why it may have been a bad idea. It seems irrelevant to me who made the request, either the prosecutor can be involved or not
3. The process for releasing classified information should I think be something like this:

a. interested party requests the information;
b. party holding he information reviews the request;
c. a decision is made to release or withhold within a reasonable time;
d. the decision under c. may be reviewed by the court at the interested parties request.

Parties directly involved in the court proceeding as well as prosecutors generally should perhaps refrain from involvement, see below

4. While I'm inclined to think that there is no material violation of fair trial if a prosecutor is involved in withholding/redacting evidence as outlined above I do not like the optics of it and the "justice must be seen to be done" argument makes me think that possibly we should rule that prosecutors should not be involved in such decisions

One more thing that occured to me that is maybe only tangentially related to this review but probably needs a resolution is the following

It is entirely possible that there is evidence that cannot be made public for security (or other) reasons but should still be considered by the court. Notably, the court in it's review of a decision to withhold evidence could well find that the evidence cannot be made public but also that it should result in an acquittal. If the court is then forced to only rely on the public evidence it would have to convict even though it is aware of the exculpatory evidence but cannot use it. In the Tsronk case for example it could have happened that redacted portions of the security council discussion were exculpatory but could not be made public on security grounds. How to deal with this?

Perhaps we should include in our ruling the option to present secret evidence to the court that is not made public. A few things to consider:

Who can see the secret evidence? The prosecutor? Defense counsel? The defendant?
Can only exculpatory evidence be secret or may the prosecution present secret incriminating evidence?
This might be a bit much to legislate form the bench and might have to be dealt with by the RA, perhaps we should still include an obiter dictum asking the RA to do just that

It seems to me that the procedure for court ordered information releases would be best placed into the Court rules, having been laid out in a basic manner in this ruling.

To answer all of CoE's questions:

1) I think my answer to this is actually yes, unless said person is the only person who can handle the redactions, in which case an exception can be made. On further thought, I think that it appearing to be unfair is sufficient to violate the BoR.

2) Because of 1, yes, she did. I think impartial and public trial justifies our belief that a fair trial must also be seen to be done.

3) I think we should build on the existing procedure for secret evidence. It's obvious that the defense, prosecution and justices should all get personal access to secure information. The tricky one is the defendant who isn't under oath not to release the information.

We need to be sure to distinguish between things that we think ought to be required, and things that actually are required by law. We are not a legislative body, so even if we think that apparent conflicts of interest must be avoided, we can't rule that way unless we find that an apparent conflict of interest violates the law in some way.

As far as secret evidence goes, I think that if any evidence is considered that is not presented publicly in the trial thread (redacted or otherwise) I would consider that a violation of the right to a public trial. Such a procedure has never been a part of the TNP democractic system to my knowledge. I think that if evidence exists in private areas, it needs to be released in some form to be considered as evidence.

I have more to say on all of this, but it's been a hectic weekend with lots of travelling, and I am completely beat, so I will probably have to save it for another 24 hours or so.

You're right COE, I'm definitely getting what I think it should be like mixed up with what it actually is right now. I'll have to have a further think about this. I have a deadline I've already missed so can't contribute until Friday.

I'm having trouble sitting down and working through it all myself. Maybe it would be beneficial if we all had a chat on discord this saturday? Would 11AM Eastern/4PM GMT work for everyone? Earlier? Later?

Deliberation continued in the following Direct Message from Discord. Timestamps are EST.
11:08 AM COE: OK, we're all here
11:09 AM Abbey Anumia: Afternoon
11:09 AM Barbarossistan: hello there!
11:09 AM COE: Morning :stuck_out_tongue:
11:09 AM Abbey Anumia: I was thinking about the case earlier
11:10 AM Abbey Anumia: It's very difficult to untange what I think the law should be and what it actually is, because there is no concept of the idea that justice must appear to be done in the law
11:11 AM COE: That doesn't prevent us from suggesting that the RA remedy that
11:11 AM Abbey Anumia: And I think that's where I'm going to fall on this
11:11 AM Abbey Anumia: Saying that in this case, there was no breach, but suggesting that the RA think about whether they want the appearance of justie to be in the law
11:12 AM COE: Well, there is this, from the Bill of Rights: 9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency.
11:13 AM Abbey Anumia: That seems very tangential though
11:13 AM COE: It seems like a guiding principle, and not really a firm requirement that outlaws certain kinds of actions. But I think it is a firm foundation upon which to make recommendations to the RA
11:14 AM Barbarossistan: I do think we can interpret the fair trial provision of clause 7 of the Bill of Rights in such a way that the appearance of unfairness is impermissible without going outside the courts reasonable interpretation power
11:14 AM COE: OK, so let's start with the fundamental question that was put to us: does it violate the right to a fair trial for a prosecutor to handle classified evidence before it is prepared for release?
11:16 AM Barbarossistan: To your question, I think under a limited reading of the law, my answer is no, a more expansive reading that also covers the appearance of fairness as required by law could result in yes but I haven't worked it out fully
11:16 AM Abbey Anumia: I feel like the answer is 'maybe, depending on circumstances'
11:17 AM COE: So, Abbey, you're saying it might be, but not inherently(edited)
11:17 AM Abbey Anumia: Yes
11:17 AM COE: And Barb, it sounds like you're saying that it's possible that a trial must appear to be fair in order to actually be fair
11:18 AM Barbarossistan: yes
11:18 AM COE: Well let's consider this: if there is a process in place for evidence to be reviewed by the moderating justice before being posted, and for redactions to be appealed to the full court, does the trial still even appear to be unfair?
11:19 AM COE: Or does that process ensure, not only fairness, but also the appearance of fairness?
11:19 AM Abbey Anumia: I think it satisfies both
11:20 AM COE: Obviously it would still be preferable if the prosecution were to keep their fingers out of the evidence altogether until it is posted, but I think I'm with Abbey here, that no rights violations are taking place, as long as that process is solid.
11:20 AM Abbey Anumia: Basically the checks and balances were built into the system to prevent this sort of action from inherently being a problem
11:21 AM Abbey Anumia: A realistic view of the realities of a small community
11:21 AM COE: 11:20 AM Abbey Anumia: Basically the checks and balances were built into the system to prevent this sort of action from inherently being a problem <<< Well, not exactly. Before this case, the procedures for classified evidence were nonexistent. I think we're lucky that Elu was the moderating justice, and he had enough good sense to follow what was basically an acceptable, if not perfect, procedure
11:21 AM Barbarossistan: the fact that a review process is available makes me think that under a strict/limited reading of the law the involvement of a prosecutorin evidence selection is not an infringement of fair trial as there is always the opportunity for review of that decision. Still, I think it's not necessarily unreasonable to want the appearance of fairness to the defendant and public and despite the review possibilty I understand why a prosecutor selecting the evidence looks unfair
11:22 AM Abbey Anumia: I agree that it looks unfair. What I'm not certain on is whether that's enough to invalidate the right to a fair trial
11:24 AM COE: I don't want to overreach here. The court has nearly unlimited power, and we should be careful to use it...well, judiciously. When possible, I don't like to go too far outside of a plain text reading of the law
11:24 AM Abbey Anumia: Agreed
11:24 AM COE: I think we should probably lay aside the question of whether the appearance of unfairness constitutes actual unfairness
11:24 AM COE: We could leave that open to further review
11:25 AM Barbarossistan: yes, no blatant legislating from the bench
11:27 AM COE: Alright, so it sounds like we're settled on the basic question. There are a couple ancillary matters I think our review should address as well. First, I think we should address what the appropriate process for handling classified information is (or at least the requirements that such a process should meet. Second, I think we should look at under what circumstances a prosecutor actually would be breaking the law by manipulating evidence
11:28 AM COE: Even though it's not inherently a rights violation, there are certainly ways that a prosecutor could illegally handle classified evidence
11:29 AM Abbey Anumia: Absolutely. Any witholding of potentially exculpatory (or even incriminating) evidence, for instance.
11:29 AM Barbarossistan: the only situation I can think of where a prosecutor could be illegally handlign evidence is by withholding it from the court's review
11:29 AM COE: For instance, if they conspired to suppress portions of the --- yes, what abbey said
11:29 AM COE: Well, keep in mind that violating the oath of office is also a crime
11:29 AM Barbarossistan: there can be reasoable grounds to withhold exculpatory evidence on security grounds
11:30 AM COE: The relevant part of the oath would be this: " I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, in any gross or excessive manner. I will act only in the best interests of The North Pacific, not influenced by personal gain or any outside force, and within the restraints of my legally granted power. "
11:31 AM COE: This applies not only to their office as AG, but also any office that gives them access to the classified information in question
11:31 AM Abbey Anumia: It would absolutely be an oath violation to try and withold evidence that should be release
11:31 AM Abbey Anumia: Yep
11:32 AM COE: So I think that if an SC member who was also a prosecutor attempted to influence the redaction process in order to maximize the chance of a conviction, that would probably be an oath violation, even if it doesn't violate the bill of rights
11:32 AM Barbarossistan: what evidence is to be released is ultimately for the court to decide, that's what the review process is for
11:32 AM Abbey Anumia: Agreed COE
11:32 AM COE: Especially if they pressed for the release of damning evidence, at the risk of endangering security
11:33 AM Barbarossistan: I fail to see how a prosecutor can violate his oath without also violating the "fair an impartial trial" provision of the BoR
11:33 AM COE: Well, I'm not thinking about the oath they took to become AG or deputy AG
11:33 AM COE: I'm thinking about the oath they would have taken as an SC member, or other government official with access to a private area
11:34 AM Barbarossistan: It will be near impossible to determine on what grounds a prosecutor sought to withhold evidence, he will certainly argue it was a legal ground such as security concerns
11:34 AM Abbey Anumia: That would be for a trial to determine, rather than this review
11:34 AM COE: Yeah, but if someone does try to do this kind of thing in bad faith, I don't want them to be able to cite our ruling and say "See? This is legal under all circumstances"
11:35 AM Abbey Anumia: Absolutely
11:35 AM Barbarossistan: even so, if a prosecutor violates his oath in order to illegaly secure conviction the trial cannot reasoably considerd fair and impartial I think
11:35 AM COE: Well, let's say the moderating justice overrules most of their redactions
11:35 AM COE: Then the trial is still fair, but the oath violation did take place
11:35 AM Abbey Anumia: ^
11:36 AM Abbey Anumia: They still attempted to influence the trial. Whether they succeed or not is a whole other problem.
11:37 AM COE: Because it IS a conflict of interest, as we all recognize. Even if it's not illegal to have a COI, I think it's still illegal to prioritize your interest as a prosecutor over the interests of the position by virtue of which you can view the evidence
11:37 AM Barbarossistan: Neither do we want to push the security council to be excessivily unwilling to redact evidence for security reasons because bad faith would be suspected if the court overrules
11:37 AM COE: Well, I don't think the SC in general would be in any legal trouble
11:38 AM COE: Only SC members that were involved in the prosecution(edited)
11:39 AM Barbarossistan: That would be an indirect way of banning prosecutors from involvement in the evidence redaction, if thats wat we want, we should rule that way
11:39 AM COE: I think it would encourage prosecutors to abstain from discussion and voting on redactions, which is what we want, without saying that such actions are inherently illegal, which is within the bounds of our power
11:40 AM COE: It doesn't ban them from doing so - it explicitly allows it as long as they keep the interests of TNP in the fore.
11:40 AM Abbey Anumia: Yeah, basically as long as they bear their oaths in mind
11:41 AM Barbarossistan: Looks like a recipe for impossibe to prove accusations to me, prosecutors are permitted to be involved in redacting evidence but have an even greater responsibilty then other SC members to act fairly?
11:42 AM COE: I would say they have the same responsibility to act fairly
11:42 AM COE: In fact, I think I would put it in exactly those terms in the opinion
11:42 AM Abbey Anumia: I'm with COE
11:42 AM Barbarossistan: but in practical terms they will be under a magnification glass because there is a CoI
11:43 AM COE: I think that is probably appropriate
11:43 AM Abbey Anumia: That's just an expected upshot of the CoI
11:43 AM COE: And for that reason, it might be wise to refrain from participating in that process, as a prosecutor
11:43 AM COE: But it's not illegal, per se
11:43 AM Barbarossistan: I think we should keep matters simple and either rule that prosecutors may not be involved or that they may be involved since the review prosess ensures fairness
11:44 AM Abbey Anumia: I disagree. If we think there's no inherent conflict of interest then we can't say they can never take part.
11:45 AM Barbarossistan: there is s CoI clearly, we seem to agree on that, the question is wether the CoI infringes the right to fair and impartial trial
11:45 AM Barbarossistan: It oes not necessarily do so as bad decision can be reviewed by th court
11:46 AM COE: I maintain that the process prevents it from violating the BOR, but oath violations can still potentially take place(edited)
11:46 AM Abbey Anumia: Agreed. The very attempt at influencing the trial is the Oath violation but the BOR isn't violated because the review process maintains the fair trial(edited)
11:48 AM Barbarossistan: the only reason anyone would seek to illegally withhold evidence knowing there will be a review is because they know the review process isn't perfect and the withholding may get through
11:49 AM Barbarossistan: also, when is there an oath violation? Everytime a security concern can be cited to withhold there can be no oath violation since th oath also requires that secrecy be maintained where necessary
11:50 AM COE: 11:48 AM Barbarossistan: the only reason anyone would seek to illegally withhold evidence knowing there will be a review is because they know the review process isn't perfect and the withholding may get through <<< And I don't think that sort of behavior should be condoned by our opinion
11:50 AM COE: An oath violation takes place if, in fact, it is not security concerns that motivate their contributions to the redaction process, but actually their interest in obtaining a conviction
11:51 AM COE: Admittedly, probably impossible to prove that
11:51 AM Abbey Anumia: As are a lot of oath violations, doesn't stop them being violations
11:51 AM COE: It's usually only proven if they say the wrong thing to the wrong person, and that gets passed on to the AG
11:51 AM Barbarossistan: this would completely depend on the state of mind of the redactor of evidence then
11:52 AM COE: Yeah
11:52 AM COE: Well, and their stated motivations
11:52 AM Abbey Anumia: nods
11:53 AM COE: But unless they're really dumb, their stated motivations would probably be legal :stuck_out_tongue:
11:53 AM Barbarossistan: obviously
11:53 AM Barbarossistan: also, this does not seem a problem with prosecutors per se, other SC personell could also have ipure motives in redacting evidence, they may not like the defendant for example
11:54 AM COE: yes, obviously. The oath is binding on all governmental actions
11:54 AM COE: I just think we should recognize that it's binding in the specific situations we're ruling on as well
11:55 AM Abbey Anumia: nods
11:55 AM COE: A reminder more than a ruling, really
11:55 AM Barbarossistan: That suggests to me we are wandering away from our issue to rule on, the involvement of prosecutors
11:55 AM COE: Well, I don't want to leave it at "it is legal for prosecutors to be involved in the redaction process" without saying that the COI can still land them in trouble
11:56 AM Barbarossistan: But any SV member can be in trouble for the same reasons, are we going to include a general reminder to not have impure motives
11:57 AM COE: Let's discuss this specific issue again after I post the first draft, so we have something concrete to discuss leaving in or removing
11:58 AM COE: But to answer that last question, probably yes, actually, since the terms I was thinking about putting it in are along the lines of "The prosecutor would be held to the same blah blah blah of other SC members, oath blah blah" so it would be acknowledging both in the same breath
11:58 AM COE: Incidentally
11:59 AM COE: For now, I think we should move on to the actual evidence process, since we seem to be going in circles on this one
11:59 AM Abbey Anumia: Probably wise
12:00 PM Barbarossistan: Yes, let's do that
12:00 PM Barbarossistan: One thing we may have to say something about is a general outline for handling of secret evidence
12:01 PM COE: So first, let's all refresh ourselves on this recent opinion, if you haven't already: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9012390/
the home of The North Pacific region of the online game Nationstates
12:01 PM COE: The relevant bits to this ruling seem to be: "n general, exculpatory evidence may not be kept secret if a prosecution is to go forward. No nation may be convicted of any crime if exculpatory evidence exists and is not available to the defense. The revelation of such evidence after the fact, which could have been made available but was not, could well invalidate a conviction."
12:01 PM Barbarossistan: for the TsronK trial rules were made but these may require formalisation and I really think TNP needs rules on using secret evidence in trial, while that is likel to much for us to decide we can call on the RA to make those rules
12:02 PM Abbey Anumia: We can either do that, or I think this are something that could be addressed in the Court Rules
12:02 PM COE: The rules made in the trial thread are subject to our change, however, the requirement for exculpatory evidence to be made available to the defense was part of an official ruling and is binding on us until overturned by a request for a review on that specific issue
12:03 PM Abbey Anumia: Indeed
12:03 PM COE: So my first question is: in order to ensure a fair trial, does an unredacted copy of the evidence have to be given to the defense?(edited)
12:04 PM COE: In theory, under the previous ruling, as long as the court determined that no exculpatory evidence was redacted, the defense never has to see what was redacted
12:04 PM Abbey Anumia: Yeah, and the court is under an oath not to release that evidence whereas the defence isn't
12:05 PM Barbarossistan: to your question, not necessariy, incriminating evidence could remain redacted
12:05 PM COE: Well, leaking classified information is a crime unto itself
12:05 PM Abbey Anumia: Ah, of course
12:06 PM COE: But the fact that the defense attorney is not necessarily a government official, or even necessarily a trustworthy individual, is an important point
12:07 PM COE: I mean, the defense attorney could be anyone
12:08 PM COE: Maybe we should allow an unredacted copy to be made available to the defense at the discretion of the moderating justice, subject to appeal to the full court?
12:08 PM Barbarossistan: that seems a reasonable compromise
12:08 PM COE: I think we should also recognize that there are some types of information that should not be released at all, even to the moderating justice, such as IP addresses, RL information, etc
12:09 PM COE: I think there is a law or rule somewhere that defines this, maybe FOIA... we could use the same standard
12:09 PM Abbey Anumia: nods
12:10 PM COE: Ah, yeah. Here it is, as part of FOIA: Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
12:10 PM Abbey Anumia: Yeah, that seems a reasonable standard to use for "never to be released" information
12:11 PM COE: Now there's a third category which is not released under foia:
12:11 PM COE: Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
12:11 PM COE: This seems like it could be more of a matter for the court to decide
12:11 PM Abbey Anumia: Agreed
12:12 PM COE: So that information should probably be kept into the copy supplied to the MJ, and the defense at the MJ's discretion
12:14 PM Barbarossistan: an alternative mthod is that a redactes set of evidence is provided and a ful set is only made available to the MJ after a request for review, that would restrict the availability of sensitive information while still allowinf ==g review where necessary. RL information has no business being in evidence at all and should be kept out by the government
12:16 PM COE: That seems like it could lengthen the trial some
12:16 PM COE: And I think it would be uncommon for none of the redactions to be challenged(edited)
12:17 PM Abbey Anumia: I would imagine something will always get challenged
12:18 PM COE: OK, so regardless of when or if the MJ is supplied an unredacted (or less redacted) copy, here's where I think we're at:
12:18 PM COE: -A request is made for release to whatever government body has the evidence. This could be by the prosecution or the defense.
12:19 PM COE: -The government body (ideally) releases the information promptly, with redaction if necessary, in a public place.
12:19 PM COE: -The evidence is submitted in the usual way
12:20 PM COE: -Motions may be made to challenge specific redactions, or for an unredacted copy to be supplied to the defense (or also the prosecution?)
12:20 PM COE: -Motions will be ruled on by the MJ, with the normal appeal process in place
12:20 PM COE: Now, in order for the MJ to rule on those motions, they will need an unredacted copy
12:21 PM COE: Or at least less redacted
12:21 PM Barbarossistan: the prosecution should have an unredactes copy if the defence has and vice versa
12:21 PM COE: That seems reasonable
12:21 PM Abbey Anumia: Yup
12:22 PM COE: So, the potential problem with keeping out RL information is that it could be used as a smokescreen to suppress non-RL information
12:22 PM COE: And if we don't require that it be provided to the court at some point, there is absolutely no way to remedy that
12:23 PM Abbey Anumia: I hate to say it but you're right. The MJ almost has to have complete, unredacted evidence to make sure of fairness.
12:25 PM Barbarossistan: well, there is more generally the problem that the court can't check of everything has been turned over, if the government says it has turned everything over, that might not be true
12:25 PM COE: Well yes, but according to the previous ruling, that may be cause to overturn a sentence if it comes out later that evidence was withheld
12:25 PM Abbey Anumia: Yeah, it's something we can't avoid
12:26 PM COE: We can tell them what's legal and what's not, but we can't always make them do it
12:26 PM Abbey Anumia: You could argue that we should take the same attitude to RL stuff, that if it turns out it was used as a smokescreen for redacting non-RL stuff, then the verdict could be overturned
12:27 PM COE: I think that's covered, yeah
12:27 PM Barbarossistan: same if evidence is withheld as RL information when it isn't, sentence may be overturned
12:27 PM COE: Hmm
12:28 PM COE: OK, fair enough. So those sorts of redactions need to be demarcated as such, then
12:28 PM COE: Come to think of it, I'm sort of uncomfortable with the power to allow that info to be transmitted
12:29 PM COE: I'm not sure I want to set the precedent that we can decide who gets that
12:29 PM Abbey Anumia: Yeah
12:29 PM COE: This departs from the process for FOIA, by the way. Under FOIA, a complete unredacted copy is provided to the court
12:30 PM Barbarossistan: FOIA may need to be emended then
12:30 PM Abbey Anumia: I'm just not comfortable with that. Yeah.
12:30 PM COE: I think there might be a riot if we tried to overturn part of FOIA with this ruling xD
12:31 PM Abbey Anumia: But not sure if were overstepping there
12:31 PM COE: But we could leave the question open to further review
12:31 PM Barbarossistan: the RA can amend, FOIA isn't the subject of this ruling
12:31 PM Abbey Anumia: That's probably best
12:32 PM Barbarossistan: we can inlude a request to the RA to amend FOIA
12:32 PM Abbey Anumia: I think that's an overstep
12:36 PM COE: OK, I think we're all on the same page. I think I'm good to go ahead and write the first draft, unless anyone sees any matters that we still need to address
12:36 PM Abbey Anumia: No I'm good
12:37 PM Barbarossistan: I think we can move to first draft, shall we recess for 60 minutes, then I will also have dinner
12:38 PM COE: I was thinking I'd type something up and post it on the forum, and we could continue discussion in that thread, and make another discord chat later if warranted
12:39 PM Abbey Anumia: I'd prefer that, I'm starting to struggle due to RL reasons
12:39 PM Barbarossistan: fine by me, ee you on the forum then
12:39 PM COE: Alright, I will also post these logs in the thread for posterity
12:39 PM COE: Good work, everyone :smiley:
12:39 PM Abbey Anumia: See you all later :smiley:
12:40 PM Barbarossistan: Thanks for the constructive discussion and bye

OK, here's a rough draft. It's very wordy, so I'd appreciate some efforts to simplify some of the sentence structuring. Also, the third paragraph was tacked on by me, even though we didn't actually discuss it. I think it's worth keeping, but feel free to disagree and I'll take another look at it. This is just the text of the actual opinion - I'll work it into the template once we have a final draft.

In a situation wherein a prosecutor, by virtue of a separate government office, has access to private information relevant to a trial, they are bound by the oath of office that they swore when they took up the duties of that office. In particular, they have sworn to use the powers and rights of that office in an unbiased manner, and they have sworn to act only in the best interests of The North Pacific. Therefore, if a prosecutor chooses to participate in preparing private information for release as evidence in a trial, their interests as a prosecutor must be subordinated to their duties as a government official. Otherwise, they are in violation of their oath of office to be unbiased and act in the best interests of The North Pacific.

However, it is not inherently illegal for a prosecutor to participate in preparing private information for release as evidence, nor does it inherently violate the right of the defendant to a fair trial. It is incumbent upon the moderating justice and, if necessary, the full court to ensure a fair trial through a procedure that prevents any bias or malfeasance from contaminating the evidence. As such, whenever private information is requested to be released as evidence by either party in a trial, a full copy of the evidence must be provided to the moderating justice. The only information that may be redacted or withheld from this copy is information that falls within the first two categories considered classified by the Freedom of Information Act: 1)Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public; and 2) Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion. No other pieces of the documentary evidence may be withheld from the moderating justice. During the trial, the moderating justice may entertain motions to release this copy privately to both parties, and their decision may be appealed to the full court. In addition, they may entertain motions to release information publicly that was initially redacted by the government, and their decisions may be appealed to the full court.

Pursuant to the right of every nation to have their trial be public, no information that has not been released to the public may be considered as evidence in the court’s deliberations on any verdict or sentence.

I decided to go with my own draft as I think yours puts the emphasis wrong:

Evidence to be presented in court may be redacted or withheld for security or other pressing reasons. The government decides on what to withhold or redact. A prosecutor may be involved in this decision due to also serving in a different capacity in the government. A Conflict of Interest may arise when an official has mutiple goals, such as a prosecutor wishing to secure a conviction.

Regardless of who makes the decision to redact or withhold evidence this decision is subject to review by the court at the request of either party and may be overturned if insufficienly pressing reasons for redacting or withholding are presented. The court finds that this opportunity for review is a sufficient to ensure a fair and impartial trial regardless of who made the initial decision. As a consequence the court finds that a prosecutor may be involved in the decision to withhold or redact evidence. The court thus also finds that Sillystring did not violate the Bill of Rights by being involved in the decision to redact evidence in the TSronK trial.

The court wishes to remind officials that deciding to redact or withhold evidence for any reason other then a pressing need of The North Pacific, in particular in order to improperly influence the outcome of a trial, may result in a violation of the oath of office. If it is found that evidence was improperly redacted or withheld the court may furthermore overturn a conviction influenced by this improper evidence.

I have not included a paragraph on handling secret evidence in general as I think that is properly something for the RA to legislate

We could include something like this:

The court notes that the handling of secret evidence and particularly the (im)possibility of using it in court requires proper regulation but considers the drafting of such regulation outside the remit of this court and requests that this matter be taken up by the Regional Assembly.

one thing that now occurred to me is that defense counsel may also be in a position to tamper with evidence due to a position in the government. Perhaps the ruling, now focusing n prosecutors, should reflect this?

The way your draft is phrased, it almost sounds like the government has the power to redact any evidence, not just that which is already government property... I'll look at reconciling our two drafts later today, and welcome Abbey's input. Yours is much less wordy, and I like that, but I quibble on bits of the content. Stay tuned.

I didn't consider the possibility that evidence can be outside the power of the government, which would not be in a position to redact or withhold in that case I think, the draft can certainly be adapted to reflect this

Yeah, in fact, the TSRONK trial is the first time under the current constitution that private evidence in the possession of the government has come into play, surprisingly. In the past, usually evidence has fallen into one of two categories: public evidence, and private evidence that parties to the trial did not know existed.

Working on a reconciliation draft now, hope to post within the hour.

Here is my compromise draft. I have a couple of problems with your draft that I feel this addresses. First, it is important to realize that the procedure for admitting private government information as evidence is not established by any law or procedure. The process that Elu followed was ad hoc, and didn't establish a binding precedent. Therefore, to prevent the process from changing in the future in a way that fails to protect a right to a fair trial, we need to define it in our ruling. I've added a paragraph that does that. Second, I've changed the very beginning to make it clear that this process only applies to evidence in the government's possession. Third, I think that "security or other pressing reasons" is far too vague, so I've lifted the requirement for information to be classified from FOIA. Fourth, I've added back in my original ending paragrah, because we're expliciting requiring that classified information be provided to the moderating justice, and I think we need to make it clear that it can't be considered when they render a verdict.

If a governmental body of The North Pacific is in possession of evidence to be presented in court, they may redact or withhold classified information from the evidence. For purposes of this ruling, classified information is defined as any information that falls into the three categories defined by the Freedom of Information Act as it currently stands:
Freedom of Information Act:
  • Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
A prosecutor may be involved in this decision due to also serving in a different capacity in the government. A Conflict of Interest may arise when an official has multiple goals, such as a prosecutor wishing to secure a conviction.

In order to protect the right to a fair trial, a full copy of the evidence must be provided by the government to the moderating justice, and only information which falls into the first two categories above may be redacted from this copy. At the moderating justice's discretion, this copy may be provided to both parties in the trial, and each decision to withhold or redact evidence that falls into the third category above may be overturned by the request of either party. Motions to overturn decisions by the government to redact or withhold evidence may be made by either party, even if the moderating justice's copy of the evidence is not provided to them.

The court finds that this process is sufficient to ensure a fair and impartial trial regardless of who made the initial decision to redact or withhold evidence or their motivation to do so. As a consequence the court finds that a prosecutor may be involved in the decision to withhold or redact evidence. The court also finds that Sillystring did not violate the Bill of Rights by being involved in the decision to redact evidence in the TSronK trial.

The court wishes to remind officials that deciding to redact or withhold evidence for any reason other than those listed above, particularly in order to improperly influence the outcome of a trial, may result in a violation of their oath of office. If it is found that evidence was improperly redacted or withheld the court may furthermore overturn a conviction influenced by this improper evidence.

Pursuant to the right of every nation to have their trial be public, no information that has not been released to the public may be considered as evidence in the court's deliberations on any verdict or sentence.

Okay. So first things first, of the three drafts, I prefer CoE's compromise draft. It's the only draft with which I have no real sticking points. Anything I'd add would only make the draft wordier without really adding to the draft. The only thing I can think of is making clear whether information which was released to the defence/prosecution but not made public can be considered (no, it can't).

So Abbey, to be clear, you're on board with using the FOIA standards of classification for released evidence, and you're in agreement that we should explicitly prohibit information that is not publicly released from being considered?

OK, if you're willing to attach your name to that draft, all that's really left to address any concerns that Barbarossistan still has over the compromise draft, if any. I am personally satisfied with the current draft, but if Barbarossistan has any strenuous objections, I'll consider a few more changes before we put it in the template and formally attach our names to it. I'd like to have all three of us satisfied with the final opinion if possible.

The last draft is alright I think except for one thing.

I do not like the final paragraph as I think the handling of classified information as evidence requires a more nuanced approach then simply insisting everything always be public. The latter approach is bound to create trouble on a trial where the court finds that key evidence exists but is also justifiably classified.

I think the RA should make a law on classified information as evidence, that is the proper forum for that. Here we interpret the law as it stands and shouldn't make new law

But the court is not there to go out and find relevant evidence - the parties present evidence to the court. If it hasn't been presented by either the defense or the prosecution, it should not be considered. I can back off of saying that all evidence must be public without qualification, but I think at the very least we need to clarify that just because private classified information is being sent to the moderating justice doesn't mean that they can consider that information when they rule, unless a motion is made and granted to release it. What if we strike the last paragraph, and replace the second paragraph with this:

In order to protect the right to a fair trial, a full copy of the evidence must be provided by the government to the moderating justice, and only information which falls into the first two categories above may be redacted from this copy. At the moderating justice's discretion, this copy may be provided to both parties in the trial, and each decision to withhold or redact evidence that falls into the third category above may be overturned by the request of either party. Motions to overturn decisions by the government to redact or withhold evidence may be made by either party, even if the moderating justice's copy of the evidence is not provided to them. Unless a motion is granted to overturn the government's decision to redact or withhold evidence, no redacted or withheld evidence may be considered in the court's deliberations on any verdict or sentence.

Yes, the parties provide the evidence or request that the government do so bu the court makes all decisions on permissibility of evidence and reviews decisions to redact. I think we can clarify that the court will not consider evidence not made public while also asking for rule-making on the matter. proposed text:

"Under current TNP law the Court cannot take into consideration any evidence not made public even if that evidence is known to the court from an unredacted copy for review. The Court considers it desirable that full regulations are made concerning the permissibility and use of classified evidence in court proceedings but considers this outside the purview of the Court and properly the realm of the Regional Assembly"

I disagree Barb although I do prefer COE's revised second paragraph to having the final paragraph as I feel it gets the point across more efficiently.

It's well within the purview of the Court to say that because trials must be public, only public evidence can be considered as we've been asked to rule on a related matter. If the RA wants to change that then that's their choice but I do think it's out of place for us to say "but we think the RA should legislate" in the manner you're suggesting. We can say that the law is not clear but I believe in this case it is.

Personally, I am politically opposed to allowing any secret evidence to be used against a defendant without it being made public, so I do not agree that "The Court considers it desirable that full regulations are made concerning the permissibility and use of classified evidence in court proceedings." I think if you are not ok with attaching your name to draft with the revised second paragraph and Abbey is, we may just have to go with a non-unanimous opinion. I will put it into the template tonight and then ask for final commitments on whether or not each of you will join the opinion as written.

It is entirely possible to have exculpatory evidence that cannot be used because it cannot be made public. This is a worse problem then incriminating evidence that cannot be used since the court might find itself forced to convict on the evidence it can use even when aware of the exculpatory evidence

There is a binding ruling already in place that exculpatory evidence must be released. It says, specifically, "exculpatory evidence may not be kept secret if a prosecution is to go forward."

I aim to have the opinion ready for final review in the next 24 hours. If this point prevents you from attaching your name, I find that unfortunate, but I don't want to give the impression that the court can convict someone based on information that was not presented at trial.

Here is the final copy. Please post one more time to indicate that you are ready for this to be posted as written:
court_seal.png

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Ash on handling of evidence in the case of TNP vs. TSRONK

Opinion drafted by Crushing Our Enemies and Barbarossistan, joined by Abbey Anumia

The Court took into consideration the inquiry filed here by Ash.

The Court took into consideration the relevant portion of the Bill of Rights for all Nations of The North Pacific:
Bill of Rights:
7. When charged with criminal acts, Nations of The North Pacific shall have a fair, impartial, and public trial before a neutral and impartial judicial officer. In any criminal proceeding, a Nation is presumed innocent unless guilt is proven to the fact finder by reasonably certain evidence. A Nation may be represented by any counsel of the Nation's choosing. No Nation convicted of a crime shall be subject to a punishment disproportionate to that crime.
The Court took into consideration the relevant portions of the Codified Law of The North Pacific:
Legal Code:
1. All government officials will take the Oath of Office below before assuming their role within the government of The North Pacific.
I, [forum username], do hereby solemnly swear that during my term as [government position], I will uphold the ideals of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice of The Region of The North Pacific. I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, in any gross or excessive manner. I will act only in the best interests of The North Pacific, not influenced by personal gain or any outside force, and within the restraints of my legally granted power. As such, I hereby take up the office of [government position], with all the powers, rights, and responsibilities held therein.
Legal Code:
31. For the purposes of this section, classified information is that which fits any of the below definitions:
  • Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
The Court took into consideration the relevant Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific in regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by flemingovia on the power of the Court to subpoena evidence:
The Court has no statutory or explicit constitutional authority to order disclosure or testimony in general: this has occasionally been cause for concern, such as when Attorney General Gasponia sought to prosecute several members of the United Defenders League in the wake of the Warhammer 40000 incident.

In order for the Court to fulfill its bill-of-right mandated duties to run a fair trial, however, as in the Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Gaspo on the Existence of a Duty to Disclose, the Court must and therefore may order the disclosure of information held by any branch of government necessary for a fair trial.

As the Court is best positioned to review the decisions of others rather than issue its own, it is appropriate for the Court not to issue such orders in the first instance. It is after a branch of the government has been presented with a request for information, and has chosen either to release it or to decline, that the Court is best positioned to review such a decision. The Court is entitled to treat a refusal to respond in a timely manner as a refusal of the request.

In general, exculpatory evidence may not be kept secret if a prosecution is to go forward. No nation may be convicted of any crime if exculpatory evidence exists and is not available to the defense. The revelation of such evidence after the fact, which could have been made available but was not, could well invalidate a conviction.

The Court opines the following:

If a governmental body of The North Pacific is in possession of evidence to be presented in court, they may redact or withhold classified information from the evidence. For purposes of this ruling, classified information is defined as any information that falls into the three categories defined by the Freedom of Information Act as it currently stands:
Freedom of Information Act:
A prosecutor may be involved in this decision due to also serving in a different capacity in the government. A Conflict of Interest may arise when an official has multiple goals, such as a prosecutor wishing to secure a conviction.

In order to protect the right to a fair trial, a full copy of the evidence must be provided by the government to the moderating justice, and only information which falls into the first two categories above may be redacted from this copy. At the moderating justice's discretion, this copy may be provided to both parties in the trial, and each decision to withhold or redact evidence that falls into the third category above may be overturned by the request of either party. Motions to overturn decisions by the government to redact or withhold evidence may be made by either party, even if the moderating justice's copy of the evidence is not provided to them. Unless a motion is granted to overturn the government's decision to redact or withhold evidence, no redacted or withheld evidence may be considered in the court's deliberations on any verdict or sentence.

The court finds that this process is sufficient to ensure a fair and impartial trial regardless of who made the initial decision to redact or withhold evidence or their motivation to do so. As a consequence the court finds that a prosecutor may be involved in the decision to withhold or redact evidence. The court also finds that Sillystring did not violate the Bill of Rights by being involved in the decision to redact evidence in the TSronK trial.

The court wishes to remind officials that deciding to redact or withhold evidence for any reason other than those listed above, particularly in order to improperly influence the outcome of a trial, may result in a violation of their oath of office. If it is found that evidence was improperly redacted or withheld the court may furthermore overturn a conviction influenced by this improper evidence.

Back