Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
Category: Commendation
Nominee: Benevolent Thomas
Proposed by: Stalker Queen
Onsite Topic

Description: The Security Council,

OBSERVING The First Warden of Benevolent Thomas as a prominent nation instrumental to the continuance of prevailing peace and goodwill throughout the world, having consistently championed and advanced such a cause for the past four years, with force when necessary;

ACKNOWLEDGING Benevolent Thomas is also the same administration behind that of The Hipster Republic of Rhine Ruhr: a nation that has held several positions within the government of European Union;

APPLAUDING the efforts of Rhine Ruhr in bringing European Union an absolutely unparalleled increase in its Foreign Affairs outreach, alongside the growing acceptance of new nations into its folds;

RECOGNISING Benevolent Thomas's involvement in a number of prominent defender regions of high standing and holding positions within them — past and present — such as:

- Acting Chief Executive of Renegade Islands Alliance: instrumental in spearheading in the revival and rebuilding of the defender military and resident native nations, Benevolent Thomas paved the way for a new golden age within the region, remastering the outdated constitution and empowering citizen nations through the formation of the Citizen's Congress;

- Colonel of 00000 A World Power: as a figure of the region and its defender military in the early days of its revival, Benevolent Thomas led liberations and defences against invader-led operations;

- Vice-Delegate and Interior Minister of Lazarus: further safeguarding the security of Lazarus, Benevolent Thomas greatly bolstered the morale and determination of Lazarene nations, helping to cultivate a new, stronger Lazarene identity from the ashes;

- First Warden and Founder of The Order of The Grey Wardens, going one step further than most defender regions by leading offensives to strike invader nations at their very hearts, mobilising it into the largest, most active defender force in the present era, and heralding a new age of defending to the world;

- Commander and Founder of Fort Triumph: alongside Deadeye Jack, Land Filled With People and Eist, Benevolent Thomas strove to ensure the sovereignty of native regions;

- Tactical Officer, Senator and WA Delegate of 10000 Islands: organised defensive operations alongside the enrichment of the region's islander culture;

- Vice Chancellor and Master Sergeant of The FRA: pushed for reforms to the Founderless Regions Alliance's structure that, once enacted, helped add renewed vitality into the FRA.

FURTHER RECOGNISING that Benevolent Thomas has defended regions numbering in their thousands, liberated regions numbering in their hundreds, and led defences numbering in their dozens;

INDEBTED to Benevolent Thomas' instrumental role in the liberation, refounding, and rebuilding of Australia and Hogwarts — despite being faced both times with mighteous, formidable, and often indomitable adversary — into thriving communities, and incumbent service in the latter as Deputy Headmaster, as the administration of The DADA Professor of Benevolent Aurors;

FURTHER INDEBTED to Benevolent Thomas for their work in repairing badly damaged relations between 10000 Islands and The Rejected Realms, which would not be possible without intervention;

LOOKING UP to Benevolent Thomas as an irreplaceable keystone of the world, which would not be the same if such an extraordinary force were absent;

Hereby Commends The First Warden of Benevolent Thomas.

Co-authored by The Illuminati Mastermind of Funkadelia.

Please vote for, against, abstain, or present.

The nation nominated for commendation is lauded for its diplomatic prowess and involvement in developing and "revitalizing" several regions over the years. In our view the list contains many regions that have either failed to withstand the test of time or are too new to merit the level of recognition that this resolution would confer upon them, and therefore serve to extend what would otherwise be a much smaller list of achievements. The resolution goes on to refer to the target nation as an "irreplaceable keystone of the world" and cite their work to repair relations between 10000 Islands and The Rejected Realms. This has not been the case as it relates to The North Pacific, as the nation in question encouraged division and strife between this region and others by misrepresenting the circumstances leading to the closure of one of our embassies. Even after this closure was explained, Benevolent Thomas failed to correct the record and allowed a false and damaging narrative to continue unabated. This behavior is not becoming of a diplomat or a nation that would be honored for outstanding service in the pursuit of peace and goodwill in the world. Some might argue that one incident is not enough to negate a list of accomplishments and good deeds. It is in fact these smaller, intimate moments when few are watching that true character can be discerned.

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs encourages a vote against the resolution.

(This is not a vote.)

Praetor:
I am concerned with a misrepresentation of the government's actions last term.

http://nseuropeanunion.com/topic/1921/embassy-of-the-north-pacific/21

I disagree with this point of view entirely.

While one could argue that from our perspective, this post:

Rhine Ruhr:
TNP is trying to close their embassy with us right now just to hide the fact that they attempted to invade a region they had relations with.

Is... understandable coming from the resident of a region TNP had just attempted to invade, and then ended relations with by publishing the following on our forum (and not theirs), the next day:

Praetor:
Due to the lack of activity in this embassy it is unfortunately being closed. Thank you.

While it was not our government's intention to try to cover up the record - the record remained intact - we did call the embassy closed shortly following the invasion, and did not publicly acknowledge any fault whatsoever.

I'm against as well. No offence to the author, but I dislike the formatting of this proposal.

I like some of the contents of this treaty - specifically regarding Australia and his time in 10KI. BT is a great player and I can see why he was chosen for a commendation.

A few other comments:

The Grey Wardens is relatively new, and I believe it died for a number of months before being restarted again. I think it needs more longevity before it is mentioned in a commendation of this nature. Regions and organisations come and go relatively quickly in NationStates.

I've also found the attitude of their members in GP to remind me of the worse parts of the United Defenders League.

- Vice Chancellor and Master Sergeant of The FRA: pushed for reforms to the Founderless Regions Alliance's structure that, once enacted, helped add renewed vitality into the FRA.

Prolonged the FRA's existence would be more accurate. Vitality? I hardly think so.

FURTHER INDEBTED to Benevolent Thomas for their work in repairing badly damaged relations between 10000 Islands and The Rejected Realms, which would not be possible without intervention;

Does anyone have information on this?

- Commander and Founder of Fort Triumph: alongside Deadeye Jack, Land Filled With People and Eist, Benevolent Thomas strove to ensure the sovereignty of native regions;

Ensure the sovereignty of regions? Ensure the sovereignty of nations? Native regions sounds odd to me. Despite the great people involved, this is now a 2 nation region. Was its contribution to defending very significant?

Summed up, he's an active defender who's done some stuff but has also been less-than-exemplary in some situations and in particular with TNP. Against - he might have achieved some things, but his attitude seems less than commendable.

Considering Funkadelia decided to send a tag:wa campaign out for this resolution I have every intention of continuing voting against in accordance with the World Assembly Accord on Campaign Spam.

plembobria:
Considering Funkadelia decided to send a tag:wa campaign out for this resolution I have every intention of continuing voting against in accordance with the World Assembly Accord on Campaign Spam.

Do you mean to say that even if a majority were to vote in favor, you would continue voting against?

Eluvatar:
plembobria:

Do you mean to say that even if a majority were to vote in favor, you would continue voting against?
Yes.

Eluvatar:
plembobria:
Hardly surprising of late.

For.

For

Plemb has already cast his vote and in this case it seems the majority opinion, but I would like to register my vote for the resolution. From the comments in this thread, it seems opinion has been colored by last week's incident. I'm going to have to disagree and say we deserved the flak we got about that.

Plembobria:
Eluvatar:
Yes.
I'm really not a fan of blatantly antidemocratic behavior, especially considering your very flimsy justification in this case. The resolution itself has been stomped pretty hard in opposition to the spam, and the citizens who have voted thus far agree with your position by a 2:1 margin at the time of this post. I see no emergency which would necessitate taking a hardline stance on this resolution, your first vote in office.

Kondratev:
I'm really not a fan of blatantly antidemocratic behavior, especially considering your very flimsy justification in this case. The resolution itself has been stomped pretty hard in opposition to the spam, and the citizens who have voted thus far agree with your position by a 2:1 margin at the time of this post. I see no emergency which would necessitate taking a hardline stance on this resolution, your first vote in office.
"Blatantly antidemocratic behavior" and "flimsy justification"? 1) We ratified a treaty that is very clear about what the response to WA campaign spam should be. 2) The poll so far is strongly against the resolution anyway.

If you disagree with the treaty, that's one thing, and you are welcome to seek to have it repealed in the RA. But while the treaty stands, voting against a proposal on the grounds of WA spam by the proposal's co-author is perfectly fine justification, especially when this action is also aligned with the poll tally.

I think it is the "whatever the people say, I am going to vote nay" attitude, in the first SC resolution of the term, which raises disquiet.

If an accord is being interpreted as having the power, potentially, to overrule the will of the people of TNP then yes, perhaps it needs looking at. Although I note that the preamble to the treaty reads:

"We, the undersigned governments; recognize the principle of independence with regards to each region's ability to determine their vote of their duly elected World Assembly Delegate per their regional laws or customs"

Which seems to me to suggest that the intent of the treaty is not to overrule the RA. This is further emphasised in clause 3a: Regional Sovereignty:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this treaty, the signatories reserve their sovereign right to determine the final vote of their respective World Assembly Delegates on all World Assembly resolutions according to their internal laws and regulations."

Also, the language of the body of the treaty uses words and phrases like "encouraged" "They deem sufficient"

so my understanding is that the Treaty does not bind us, or the delegate, if we choose to vote another way.

Oh, and I have no idea who benevolent thomas is, so have no axe to grind on the substantive issue. It seems to me as if he has done more than many who have received a commendation in his career, which is why i voted Aye.

so my understanding is that the Treaty does not bind us, or the delegate, if we choose to vote another way.
The treaty is indeed not binding in those recommendations, and I did not claim it is. However, if we never enforce its recommendations, then the treaty will never achieve its intended objective of reducing WA spam. This is an objective that the RA has agreed is worthy and agreed to support by ratifying the treaty.

The treaty provides very solid justification for the Delegate to continue voting against if the poll tally changes. It is a justification that the RA itself has authorized, when voting for the treaty.

For the record:

For
  1. Myroria
  2. Zyvetskistaahn
  3. falapatorius
  4. Kondratev
  5. flemingovia

Against
  1. r3naissanc3r
  2. plembobria
  3. Praetor
  4. Gladio
  5. Kasch
  6. McMasterdonia
  7. Lord Ravenclaw
  8. Tomb
  9. Abbey Anumia
  10. Scorch

Abstain
  1. Yalkan

Present
(0)

mcmasterdonia:

Does anyone have information on this?
XKI didn't like us after Devonitians' coup in 2011. There were attempts to fix relationships, but it wasn't until Benevolent Thomas actively advocated in XKI for the reopening of relationships between XKI-TRR. One can argue that repairing the two largest and oldest defender regions is worthy of mentioning, considering the criticisms XKI had against TRR at the time.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back