Non-canon RP idea

Nebula:
The tunnels I mention under Orionus will probably end up devolving into terrible terrible things but the Nebulan who ends up making it into Your Main Bunker will try to rebuild society in a better way.
Knowing Nebulans, the "better society" will include a constant state of war.

jkjk

*David Attenborough voice*
"And now we see the user "Xentherida" somehow be racist to a nationality that doesn't even exist."

Cogoria:
I thought we were told already? I thought this was just a warning for how much time we had?
Everyone's been told, but this is about four hours after that. Actions would most certainly not be underway yet, and would either be in the planning stages, the execution of orders, or the early logistical stages. Not in action.

The stuff under Orionus is going to get really shitty really fast. The food supplies will run out before the hydroponic farms are fully complete and up to capacity and food rationing will be instituted. This will eventually turn into a situation in which the governing body is a brutal dictatorship, hoarding food resources for itself and demanding brutal labors in exchange for pittances of food. A rebellion breaks out and, in the resulting conflict, the oligarchs ... you know what? I'll let you find out on your own.

Well Nebula, while this particular thread is about the character making it into the chosen Xen bunker, I was thinking of setting up a sequel RP, in which people choose their own bunker in their nation and RP the people in it, and their stories, etc.

Xentherida:
Well Nebula, while this particular thread is about the character making it into the chosen Xen bunker, I was thinking of setting up a sequel RP, in which people choose their own bunker in their nation and RP the people in it, and their stories, etc.
You might as well expand this to cover that to make it less confusing because otherwise you'll find someone who gets confused and thinks this is canon.

I'll put up a whole bunch of RP rules on the OP later today. It's fuckin' 3am for me. And in the description will be the information about it (non-canon, etc).

Anyway, I need my beauty sleep, so I won't be replying for about 7-11 hours.

Xentherida:
Wolfsea:
Wolfsea would just be a load of ruins, zero survivors. The few who did survive initial impact would have killed themselves to reunite with Marwolaeth in Ravenbrook. If you eventually get close enough you might find stuff worth looting though, weapons especially.
We're not at that stage quite yet, so join in! You want to join in the scientists? Or later on, when the asteroid is announced, you can play a Wolvesh who manages to get into the bunker.
Nah, the Wolvesh would regard this as being their equivalent of the Rapture so any survivors would be dead within hours. I really need to go more into details on Marled and Wolvesh religion in an RP people actually join in with.

Wolfsea:
Nah, the Wolvesh would regard this as being their equivalent of the Rapture so any survivors would be dead within hours. I really need to go more into details on Marled and Wolvesh religion in an RP people actually join in with.
Well, worst comes to the worst, you could play someone from, say, Kannex, or another nation.

Idea! Saviour is a two-stage device, one creating a crater, and the other the nuclear detonation device. The crater to ensure the device lands, and the nuclear bomb to deflect it.

However, it fails (either due to too weak a bomb, incorrect calculations, underestimation, etc) and creates a metric fuckton of debris. This means mini-meteors flying down and striking Eras, as a prelude to the asteroid. Some stunning visuals if someone can photoshop 'em in.

Also Cogoria, the ships are fucked. Tsunami capsizes them, or slams them into a mountain/big object. They won't do much. And flying vehicles will have their engines clogged by ash, like in volcanoes.

Xentherida:
...creates a metric fuckton of debris. This means mini-meteors flying down and striking Eras, as a prelude to the asteroid.
That's still better than letting the thing come down in one piece. The more pieces we can blow it into , the greater surface area that will generate friction once it hits atmo, which will dramatically increase how much burns up.

What I meant is that it blows a tiny chunk off, but has little impact on the size of the asteroid. It deflects the asteroid, but not by enough.

It's a bit difficult to break a 2.9 trillion cubic metre object into bite sized pieces.

We did have a decade, ten years ago. :P

So Sadak, when this is announced to the public, what sort of person will you be playing as?

Xentherida:
Idea! Saviour is a two-stage device, one creating a crater, and the other the nuclear detonation device. The crater to ensure the device lands, and the nuclear bomb to deflect it.

However, it fails (either due to too weak a bomb, incorrect calculations, underestimation, etc) and creates a metric fuckton of debris. This means mini-meteors flying down and striking Eras, as a prelude to the asteroid. Some stunning visuals if someone can photoshop 'em in.

Also Cogoria, the ships are fucked. Tsunami capsizes them, or slams them into a mountain/big object. They won't do much. And flying vehicles will have their engines clogged by ash, like in volcanoes.
https://youtu.be/39j5v8jlndM?t=3m34s this minus Bahamut

Xentherida:
We did have a decade, ten years ago. :P

So Sadak, when this is announced to the public, what sort of person will you be playing as?
A young Sadakhan field researcher who was studying the native biome local to the bunker (with a sideline, as always, documenting her cultural experiences in your country.) She'll be documenting what goes on in the bunker on the remote chance the information survives and is valuable later.

Xentherida:
Wolfsea:
That is... surprisingly accurate. Minus the dragon and the missiles flying in random directions, yeah, that's basically what it'll look like about 2 or so hours before the asteroid itself hits. Although the smaller pieces will just burn up.
Lol tbh I just think that's one of the most badass cutscenes in gaming and saw an excuse to show it.

Just spent about 5 hours typing that reply. Hey, I get distracted easily, and it's 3am. Don't blame me!

Well yes, blame me a lot for typing this at 3am and procrastinating.

The next posts will probably involve the landing of the scientists, and, in 2 replies time, the eventual announcement of the asteroid itself, just not in the expected way. That's when you can start the character's story and related stuff. Also, I plan for a Mt. Genesis containing DNA from all co-operative nations, and some humans in there, who sort of keep the human race afloat. It's sorta last-ditch effort to regrow everything; the Xen bunker is sorta unofficial.

Well the Cogorian bunkers aren't meant to past centuries, they're meant to last a few decades, one century at the most. By developing their own infrastructure within the bunker, and by sending teams to the surface to scavenge I guess they might hold out indefinitely (or until the people turn on each other)

Cogoria:
Well the Cogorian bunkers aren't meant to last centuries, they're meant to last a few decades, one century at the most. By developing their own infrastructure within the bunker, and by sending teams to the surface to scavenge I guess they might hold out indefinitely (or until the people turn on each other)
As I have said before, and I'll say again, there will be nothing to scavenge above ground! Earthquakes will reduce cities and towns to rubble - even places not on fault lines, because the mantle will be pushed out by the asteroid's impact - then tsunamis will wash away everything into the oceans as they recede, and finally, no plant life will make it past a few weeks as the ash cloud blots out the sun and sends temperatures plummeting.

Also, at the very most, this is would last about a century or so. The shortest it could last is about two decades. Expect around forty to sixty years before the ash cloud finally descends.

Well we can always scavange the ash. It makes excellent fertiliser, can use it in me underground farms :p

Cogoria:
Well we can always scavange the ash. It makes excellent fertiliser, can use it in me underground farms :p
Alright, that's a good point. Although you'd have to wait a few months to gather it, etc.

But surely isn't stockpiling canned foods more efficient than farming? Although the two can be used in harmony, using canned foods as a reserve. But if they run out, and you're waiting for plants to grow, you're in a sticky situation.

There's about 5-10 years worth of stored goods, but thats for a full shelter, Im going to play it out that some shelters get overcrowded while others are not filled completely, Cogoria is going into anarchy leading up to the actual impact.

Cronaal, any issues with post frequency shouldn't be a problem; I'm pacing this RP, it's going to be nice and slow-moving. Otherwise the asteroid hits in about 5 posts.

Xentherida:
Cronaal:
you underestimate how lazy i am
Still, give it a try! You don't have to do much posting if you want.
I took be five days to finish my new map of Cronaal because I kept taking 'breaks' and now I have to do an RP post for my own RP, maybe another time :P

Xentherida:
Cogoria:
Alright, that's a good point. Although you'd have to wait a few months to gather it, etc.

But surely isn't stockpiling canned foods more efficient than farming? Although the two can be used in harmony, using canned foods as a reserve. But if they run out, and you're waiting for plants to grow, you're in a sticky situation.
well I mean farming potatoes on mars isn't that hard so how difficult can it be to provide for hundreds of thousands of people in sunless bunkers? >_>

Well, technically, you can farm without light; either use mushrooms or blue and red LED lights. But the question of where you would get the electricity to grow them is still a problem. Mushrooms are also vastly inefficient, as I said earlier; for Cogoria, over 2.97 billion mushrooms would need to be grown a day to sustain a population of 9.9 million.

Possible renewable power sources:
-biomass
-geothermal
-wind
-solar
-nuclear

Obviously solar is out. Wind power would have to be set up after the events on the surface end because no turbine is gonna survive that. Nuclear is possible if you have it all set up, but the waste has to go somewhere. Geothermal would be difficult to manage. Biomass is a decent option as long as you can vent it somewhere.

Cogoria:
There are small nuclear reactors (Not miniature, more like those used on nuclear powered ships)
But where will you put all of the waste? It can't just sit around, slowly irradiating everyone.

For the Xen bunker, it's powered by geothermal energy; the nation is a hotspot for such activity, with geysers and extinct/dormant volcanoes commonplace.

honestly taking the bodies of your dead and converting them into biofuel seems a very you thing to do

The surface is ruined from the asteroid already, who cares if I dump it up there XD (future generations don't matter too far in the future for Cogorians to care)

Back