Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
Category: Repeal
Resolution: SC#177
Proposed by: Canton Empire
Onsite Discussion

Repeal "Condemn the Pacific":
Description: WA Security Council Resolution #177: Condemn the Pacific shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The Security Council,
Noting That since the failed coup of Lazarus ended, the Pacific has since acquired new leadership.

Acknowledging that the Pacific has since apologized not once, but twice for the coup and other past actions,

Praising the Pacific for initiating reforms within their region, such as
- replacing government officials,
- democratizing the government,
- reforming the provincial system, and
- beginning peaceful outreach with the GCR Sovereignty Accords,

Further noting that the region of Lazarus has accepted the the Pacific's apology and has exchanged embassies with them,

Observing that there are very tyrannical regions and nations that have not been condemned my this august body, thus canceling the argument made in SC#177,

Further Observing that the coup d'etat by the so called "Gang of Five" was not sanctioned by the New Pacific Order,

Realizing the unfairness of condemning over five thousand nations for the actions of six,

Shocked that Security Council Resolution #177 would endorse the fall of a major government,

Disgusted at the many inaccuracies in the Resolution,

Arguing that the endorsement cap is normal by Inter-regional standards and has contributed to stability unseen by almost any of the Pacific regions,

Amazed that SC Resolution #177 would call for change in a government that is very well liked by the region as a whole,

Asserting the fact that nations and regions involved with the Security Council can choose whatever government style they want,

Further Arguing that the main basis of Security Council Resolution #177 has been rendered null and void by the actions of the Pacific,

Hereby Repeals SC #177 "Condemn the Pacific"

Please vote: For, Against, Abstain, or Present.

For.

Given that the Pacific has clearly apologized for their past misgivings, one apology actually being in response to negotiations with us and quite specific to TNP, and another being specifically in response to Lazarus, I think it's time to repeal this.

It's also worth noting that it is a Lazarus nation proposing this this time.

For.

The Lazarus nation proposing it has only been in Lazarus for 75 days according to the World Census.

My preference to this, is to vote for. The Pacific's Emperor has gone out of his way to apologise and make amends for what happened. Lazarus has accepted that apology. I cannot see any reasonable grounds upon which The North Pacific can continue to maintain its objection, and have accordingly - in consultation with members of the Executive Council - voted in favour of the repeal.

I'm afraid that as per the LC S:7.5: World Assembly Voting:
"28. The Delegate may vote on all World Assembly (WA) resolutions as they see fit, using any method to determine their vote as they decide."

I have decided, per discussion with the Executive Council to vote in favour of this repeal. While I am noting each and every vote, I apologise that on this event, they will not be considered.

Gradea:
Ahem, even if the Exec Council hadn't decided to vote a particular way, your vote would be ineligible to be counted.

The proposal outright lies about the sequence of events. And, whatever changes the NPO has made internally, it still couped Lazarus. This is potentially the single most reprehensible action in NS history, and we're moving on after a month.

Let's not get the facts confused here: The NPO attempted to annex Lazarus. Had they succeeded, Lazarus would have been under control of the NPO.

To apologise now does not show contrition. It shows regret that they did not succeed.

The passage of this resolution ultimately fits the cliche -- crime pays.

In the interests of all GCRs, I urge the Delegate to reconsider. It might not be long until another powerful entity makes a move at a GCR, with the knowledge they can safely repudiate what has happened.

For. The NPO's under new management. The Lazarus insanity saw to that. Enough's enough, folks.

Guy:
The proposal outright lies about the sequence of events. And, whatever changes the NPO has made internally, it still couped Lazarus. This is potentially the single most reprehensible action in NS history, and we're moving on after a month.

Let's not get the facts confused here: The NPO attempted to annex Lazarus. Had they succeeded, Lazarus would have been under control of the NPO.

To apologise now does not show contrition. It shows regret that they did not succeed.

In the interests of all GCRs, I urge the Delegate to reconsider. It might not be long until another powerful entity makes a move at a GCR, with the knowledge they can safely repudiate what has happened.
The less than factual representation of the original condemnation didn't seem to cause you any concerns.

According to your logic Japan, or any other country that historically failed in a conquest, would be perpetual occupied zones/POW nations in RL, right?

Gracius Maximus:
Guy:

The less than factual representation of the original condemnation didn't seem to cause you any concerns.

According to your logic Japan, or any other country that historically failed in a conquest, would be perpetual occupied zones/POW nations in RL, right?
Even supposing that there are inaccuracies, continuing on with my theme of cliches, two wrongs clearly do not make a right here.

A much more apt comparison would be actual UNSC resolutions of condemnation. These don't get repealed because "time has passed and there have been some changes". Barring exceptional circumstances, they remain on the books.

Against. I object to resolutions continually being resubmitted until they get through. It amounts to steamrollering by attrition.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back