TNP Olympic Games

Celasur

TNPer
I have an idea to have the first TNP Olympic games (fictional of course!). I am not sure how we can determine a winner of events or what the events will be, but this is an idea right now any and all suggestions appreciated, as well as if your country would care to participate in the TNPOG (The North Pacific Olympic Games)

If there is an event for pretentious wine drinking then Esplandia will win.

We're also good at gymnastics.

Too bad there's no event for cooking. Syrixia would win in a landslide. :cry:

The Olympics is an enormously expensive global event that displaces hundreds of poor and homeless, gentrifies communities, enriches the wealthiest members of global society by extracting tax dollars from locals to pay for extravagant temporary housing and sporting venues, and furthers neo-colonialism and corporate globalization.

The Floregasque Republic will gladly send its best athletes to compete.

Myroria:
The Olympics is an enormously expensive global event that displaces hundreds of poor and homeless, gentrifies communities, enriches the wealthiest members of global society by extracting tax dollars from locals to pay for extravagant temporary housing and sporting venues, and furthers neo-colonialism and corporate globalization.
You forgot how the Olympics are a time-honored Ancient Greek tradition, and thus the heritage of western civilization; and how they not only increase globalization but create the “Olympic Effect”—trade openness and overall transaction increases for the host country following the Olympics. Prestige and attention is also granted to the host country by the masses just by association to the Olympics. And, of course, it's just fun to watch sports. Of course it's more fun to watch international traditional superdupercathlons.

I'd be happy to join in with something like this, I could even help out if you want.

These are all great ideas, maybe this could be a thing. Glory to the winning nation. Winners of events will get medals just like in the real world. But, we need practical events that we can fictionally score fairly, that is the problem we need to solve.

We could likely determine outcomes by a dice roll style. I'll explain briefly.

Before the games begin, you get a pool of "talent points", call it 50 points, to spread however you want over the events, as long as you have at least one point in each event. Maybe set a max limit on points in one event to balance it. You can announce your setup of "talent points" or keep it to yourself. There should probably be a referee nation to oversee points to keep out any shenanigans. Then, when the event begins, using an online dice-roller, you roll an X-sided die (I'm thinking 20 for side count) to determine how you score.

Something along those lines should work.

This sounds like a lot of fun. We might even have gymnastic wine drinking for the Esplandians.

Myroria:

The Floregasque Republic will gladly send its best athletes to compete.
lol

I had an idea about this. What if it was more like a gaming competition. So like games we could play online like League, Minecraft, etc. Just set it up like an actual competition with brackets.

I think that an international gaming competition would be great, but I think it is its own animal and deserves its own thread. I think that Olympics are about the physical prowess of a nation and bragging rights. It's a physical sport and not really a mental sport like a gaming competition.

Ceretis:
I think that an international gaming competition would be great, but I think it is its own animal and deserves its own thread. I think that Olympics are about the physical prowess of a nation and bragging rights. It's a physical sport and not really a mental sport like a gaming competition.
That's true, however we are all here because of the game NationStates (All Hail Max Barry), so it would be in the spirit of what brought us together to have it be thus: games.
At least that's my opinion

Excuse me for thinking too deeply about this, but if a games is to be held, I don't think we should call them that, as the Olympics is named after Olympia, a place in Greece, a country that doesn't exist in our little world. Now we could always say that they somehow thought of the name, or we could possibly see if one of our cities can sound good as a name.

Yeraennus, i like your idea, but we might need more than 50 points with how many nations there are. and also what if 2 nations have the same amount of points in an event, how would we determine a winner for that event?

I'd be more than glad to help with anything needed, although I might not be available all of the time. I think this is great idea and should be considered.

Bootsie:
Excuse me for thinking too deeply about this, but if a games is to be held, I don't think we should call them that, as the Olympics is named after Olympia, a place in Greece, a country that doesn't exist in our little world. Now we could always say that they somehow thought of the name, or we could possibly see if one of our cities can sound good as a name.
Well, Raven's capital is Alexandria so that's out of the question...

If we were willing to extend the games to the other pacifics, maybe call it something like The Pacificana Games. or The Pacifico Games.
Idk, just rambling.

A cross-regional name for the Olympics would be good.

1. The Interregional Games
2. The International Games
3. The Pacifican Games
4. The Pacific Games
5. The Global Games
6. Games of The Pacifics

We could have a host region after every set period of time and then all of the actual games are roleplayed or calculated on the forums or through periodical dispatches. So we would obviously host the first games, and then whichever region wins overall (maybe the most medals?) gets to host the next games. If another region wishes to join the Games, then they simply send a request and will be added to the roster, but they cannot host. Hosting is reserved for all of the Pacifics.

Results of the games could be recorded through dispatches or on the forums. Offsite forums can also be used to document results. But if we are keeping this local, then I trust that a more suitable name, such as 'The Northern Games' or something like that will be chosen. All nations can compete in the games, and we could have different people managing the different sports threads to reduce total work. A sign-up thread for larger games would be held on the game forums, but a closer and more regional sign up thread would be put on our forums.

Nations enter themselves into the games, and they are put into each of the sports rosters. All games are randomly decided through a scorinator to prevent hours of manual updates. However we format the results (through tables or something else), is up to whoever is running the Games. A thread title would look like, for example: '[The Pacifican Games Basketball Thread].' These threads would be used to display results and medals. The OP would collect the information from the sign-ups. If the OP doesn't have a scorinator, the roster can be sent to a nation who does and then they simulate the results. It would be better if thread OPs for these games had scorinators so things were simpler.

No roleplay information such as athlete names or athlete uniform will be needed, just the nation name and the sport they wish to be participating in. To adopt more of an Olympic style, a win could be a gold medal, a draw could be a silver and a loss could be a bronze, maybe? Obviously, for events like swimming, this wouldn't be needed, as the nations who win that event are just given golds and it would just be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place to determine the medals.

I had some ideas so I thought I should suggest them.

I also made a logo should we ever consider having one.

Scn2wih.png

Some nations will be better at certain sports than others. For example, maybe Esplandia is good at gymnastics while another nation is terrible at a different sport. Will there be a modifier somehow that boosts a nation's base score possibility for medals, and one that detracts for their not so good sports? Maybe even a random booster generated for nations that might be up and coming. So in effect, a computer generated winner is selected for high potential, they are then given a good chance to win medals along with the other nations that are good at the sport. If they win a medal, then their nation is granted the 'good at this sport' option in future draws.

I think nations should request the games be held in their nation since it does cost a large amount of money to hold the games. It should be a short but continually growing list as the competitions progress.

Normally Gold to 1st, Silver to 2nd, and Bronze to 3rd; while participation medals go to all the other athletes that got nada, zip, zilch, nothin'.

Johanness:
Celasur:
I am not sure how we can determine a winner of events
Through scorination. I'm not sure how to use it myself, or know anyone else here who does, though.
Hello. I have a little experience with Scorination.

Update: (just cause it's been awhile) We need a list of events, it has to be shorter than the actual Olympics because of how many nations there are in TNP, so here is a list of possible events: Archery, Basketball, Biking (BMX)/cycling, Fencing, Gymnastics, Judo, Rowing, Rugby, Swimming, Soccer/Football, Track (100m, 200m, and 400m.), Tennis, Triathlon (thanks to Kaschovia for help with the list). Any changes/suggestions would be appreciated. And scoring would be 1st= gold, 2nd=silver, and 3rd=bronze. The Nation with the highest score wins (gold=3 points, silver=2 points, bronze=1 point for scoring purposes) all the glory in TNP. I still haven't decided on how to chooses winners of events, but you all have given many great suggestions. Once scoring is figured out we/I will go to Lord Ravenclaw to see if TNP Olympics can be done. Any name suggestions for the games? Also a TNP Olympic Games Committee would need to be make to score and make everything fair. sorry for the long post, but it has been awhile.

How about the August Games or Augustine Games, since one nation of Imperium Augustum (the August Empire), and two cities, Port Augusta, McMasterdonia, and Augustus Town, Guslantis, all share the same namesake?

Celasur:
Update: (just cause it's been awhile) We need a list of events, it has to be shorter than the actual Olympics because of how many nations there are in TNP, so here is a list of possible events: Archery, Basketball, Biking (BMX)/cycling, Fencing, Judo, Rowing, Swimming, Soccer/Football, Track (100m, 200m, and 400m.), Tennis, Triathlon (thanks to Kaschovia for help with the list). Any changes/suggestions would be appreciated. And scoring would be 1st= gold, 2nd=silver, and 3rd=bronze. The Nation with the highest score wins (gold=3 points, silver=2 points, bronze=1 point for scoring purposes) all the glory in TNP. I still haven't decided on how to chooses winners of events, but you all have given many great suggestions. Once scoring is figured out we/I will go to Lord Ravenclaw to see if TNP Olympics can be done. Any name suggestions for the games? Also a TNP Olympic Games Committee would need to be make to score and make everything fair. sorry for the long post, but it has been awhile.
What, no Gymnastics? It's rigged already. :tb1:

Otherwise looks good to me.

Ceretis:
Some nations will be better at certain sports than others. For example, maybe Esplandia is good at gymnastics while another nation is terrible at a different sport. Will there be a modifier somehow that boosts a nation's base score possibility for medals, and one that detracts for their not so good sports? Maybe even a random booster generated for nations that might be up and coming. So in effect, a computer generated winner is selected for high potential, they are then given a good chance to win medals along with the other nations that are good at the sport. If they win a medal, then their nation is granted the 'good at this sport' option in future draws.

I think nations should request the games be held in their nation since it does cost a large amount of money to hold the games. It should be a short but continually growing list as the competitions progress.

Normally Gold to 1st, Silver to 2nd, and Bronze to 3rd; while participation medals go to all the other athletes that got nada, zip, zilch, nothin'.
That would be defined by the number of points you invest into each event.

Celasur:
Yeraennus, i like your idea, but we might need more than 50 points with how many nations there are. and also what if 2 nations have the same amount of points in an event, how would we determine a winner for that event?

Number of nations shouldn't affect the number of points given. Number of events should. In the event of a tie (i.e., both nations rolling the same score) the event would go to either a) Whoever has the higher number of points invested, or b) in the event of the same score with the same modifier, a reroll would occur until the tie is broken.

As for naming ideas, I'm stuck. I do think we should hash out the mechanics first though.

We should consider the concept of two olympic games as well. One for summer sports and one for winter sports. It only makes sense unless we do all summer sports indoors in the winter and then have all the winter sports outdoors. But of course we could only hold olympics in cold weather nations unless someone builds giant snow buildings in the desert like dubai.

How about we take a vote on a city to name it after and the winner can develop the Ancient Games' history?

I nominate Pigletville, Pataliputra, and Sion.

Okay, so along with everything that has already been said, I think some sort of TNP Olympics could become a thing. We just need to establish how scoring will be done and outline the basic information of the games such as the host cities and names.

Transpacific implies it also involves the other Pacific regions.

Could name it after the world name, which is Eras.

"The Eras Games" sounds like a good suggestion to me, also any chance of adding rugby 7s to the list of events? It will be making its debut at the 2016 Summer Olympics as an official event and I'd love to see it here.

Scoring should be random as this is the first Olympics we will hold, so we don't know how strong each team may be yet. I've already made a logo which I think should be used if we cannot think/design something better. How often should the games be held?

I think random works, although there are scorination programs used by main site sports RPers that we can use. I know how to use one and can help organisers if needed.

Back