Attacks in Brussels

Another one? This is beyond enough. We need to bomb the hell out of ISIS.

Syrixia:
Simply bombing something won't make it go away, and we don't know where to bomb since a chunk of it hides in society, acting as citizens.

It is so sad that these attacks continue to happen, and it is increasingly hard to respond to them.

Syrixia:
Cronaal:
Syrixia:
Simply bombing something won't make it go away, and we don't know where to bomb since a chunk of it hides in society, acting as citizens.
Well, we know where a primary ISIS base is.
Perfect, bomb a city full of people too poor to leave it.

The power of Daesh isn't underscored by the success of its military, but the strength of ideology which maintains both a stream of foreign fighters and those willing to undertake attacks in Europe. Most of the attackers in Europe are European, and the "more bombs = win" solution, if utterly Ted Cruzian in its indiscriminate nature, is completely counterproductive at tackling the routes of the conflict and the success of Daesh with regards to propaganda.

The west shouldn't be seen as the enemy in the region, but that's how it'll be portrayed if it's utterly knee-jerk in its approach, and doesn't undertake a war beyond its own military intervention.

So, yeah, Myroria's right. Best not to make decisions off the back of yet another mass-murder.

"Carpet bombing" ISIS will just lead to higher recruitment. If we massacre the entire city, we'll outrage the Islamic world and the international community as well. And what if some high-ranking members of ISIS survive? Then they'll say even the full aerial force of the West couldn't subdue them, and they'll score another propaganda victory. They aren't afraid of death.

Kannex:
"Carpet bombing" ISIS will just lead to higher recruitment.
Oh crap, I didn't think about it. Thinking like that, basically this catch-22 happens-

Don't attack ISIS: They can focus on attacking us.

Attack ISIS: They get more recruits and get more determined as you said.

Don't attack them; they win. Attack them; they win more.

Crap.

No, not really. This is a much more nuanced situation with more options than a simple black and white attack them or don't attack path to take.

Last year when western allies of Iraqi and Kurdish forces started a bombing campaign against Daesh inside of Iraq it slowed, stopped and then reversed their advance, so much so that they were pushed back from being almost at Baghdad itself to instead focussing on Syria due to the pressure they were coming under in Iraq. Mosul will, eventually, be liberated from Daesh, as will most of the land they currently occupy in Iraq. Syria is more complicated, but if an agreement between the rebels and Assad can be reached, then there is hope there also.

I flew out of the Brussels airport a few hours before the SHTF. (Was there to help plan and organise a Cavalry event). Other than that, how was your weekend? :o

Romanoffia:
I flew out of the Brussels airport a few hours before the SHTF. (Was there to help plan and organise a Cavalry event). Other than that, how was your weekend? :o
Oh, my god! That is terrifying to even thing about, Roman. I'm so glad you're well.

Romanoffia:
Holy crap indeed. That's scary to even think about! :tb1: Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster you're OK! :hug:

As a few of you know, I am friends with Bachtendekuppen from TEP - he was in Brussels a few hours before it happened, but thankfully was nowhere near the blast sites.

Spent yesterday worried sick about him until he contacted me to let me know he was alright.

Lord Ravenclaw:
As a few of you know, I am friends with Bachtendekuppen from TEP - he was in Brussels a few hours before it happened, but thankfully was nowhere near the blast sites.

Spent yesterday worried sick about him until he contacted me to let me know he was alright.
Thank god :hug:

Syrixia:
thank you Donald Trump

The attacks in Brussels were perpetrated by Belgian citizens. Those in Paris were caused by Europeans as well. Bombing cities and blocking immigrants are doomed strategies. All of the bombers in Brussels were wanted by police before the bombings. There are things that should be addressed, but no major policy changes should take place until the collective population of the US and EU calms down, and then the answer is to stop these attacks at the source- stopping radicalization of teens in rougher neighborhoods, ensuring that assault rifles are banned and those found to possess them are imprisoned, and corralling the far right to keep racism under control.

Back