Languages of Eras

Vazos

TNPer
Kannex got me thinking about this in this thread - what languages are spoken in your nations?

Vazosi (High and Low) are both based on Esperanto, with occasional borrowings from Basque and French. Old Vazosi is based on Arcaicam Esperantom.

Guslantis has five official languages:

English - Most common.

French - Diplomacy

Spanish - Prevalent in Augustus Town

German - Native language

Japanese - Prevalent in Miragea and Carrotopolis

Wolvesh primarily speak English but the traditional language of Etrebean (which is basically welsh) is still taught.

The primary languages in Floresque are Floregasque, a dialect of August-originated New Latin, and English or whatever we're calling it.

The primary language of Myroria is Myrorian, written using the Myrorian alphabet.

McM, TGR, and I have done some brainstorming, and decided that IRL English (we haven't decided on an IC name yet) was one of the major trading languages of the McMasterdonian (or Kianese) empire.

It's not that we just decided to hijack English, but we based it on a few realistic facts:

The McMasterdonian empire was the largest in the world, just like the RL British Empire, that could explain its worldwide use.

Trading between IA, which spoke Latin, and McMasterdonia, which spoke a sort of Farsi, could in fact lead to a trading language much like English. It would become the international language of trade, and thereby diplomacy. This offers a convenient IC reason why all our statements are in English.

Therefore, the ubiquity of the language in trade could lead to it becoming one of the most-spoken languages on Eras.

SS languages are Sillish, which is based on Hawaiian and Maori, and Common (Mercanti?) as the international language of business (and tourism!). Government business is conducted in Common, with simultaneous Sillish translation provided. All official documents, sign posts, etc, are in both, much like French and English in Canada.

Yeraenn has two prevalent languages, specifically High Yeraenn and Low Yeraenn. I don't have any accent/pronunciation similarities in the real world off the top of my head. English Mercanti and small amounts of languages from nearby islands (such as Kalti). Most intrastate documents are in Low Yeraenn, while international affairs are written in Mercanti.

I'm currently working on a script for Low Yeraenn.

SYRIXIA: Most Syrixians are bilingual. English is taught as a lingua franca to communicate with foreign peoples, while Syrixian is taught as the main native language. Syrixian is just Hindi but India doesn't exist here so it's Syrixian.

RHUVANLAND: The Rhuvishmen speak German, however it is different from regular (Kannexan) German. It is more akin to Austrian German, or, as it is called on Eras, Rhuvish German. There are a few differences here and there, but Rhuvishmen can probably understand Kannexan German.

SHEI REN: The Sheirenis speak Vietnamese, but on Eras it is called Sheireni. Unlike real world Vietnamese, however, it has its own native script, however this is barely used and the Latin alphabet is more widely used in Shei Ren.

For The Lancerian Empire, "French" and English(Mercanti?) are almost equally spoken, with most of the population being billingual in these two languages. I'm thinking french was the native language of Archlancer Island , with Mercantile becoming prevalent, but never replacing, French during the McM Empire period.

French (whom I'm starting to think we should come up with a new name for) is the language that most people prefer to speak and as a convention most named things such as airports, cities, businesses, and most people are in that language. Ministries of the government and local governments are usually exception to that rule. Most ship names of the navy are French as a side effect and military regiments are half and half.

Would people be ok with French originating on Archlancer Island long long long ago?

Kalti: Caighdeánach Kaltic (Standard Kaltic) is the primary language and is based on Irish

Callaici: Latin is the primary language and is based on Latin

Tir na Andalucia: Andalucian is the primary language and is based on Maori

Coitianta / Communia / Noa (Common) is the international language for trade and relations with other nations and is based on English

Syrixia:
SYRIXIA: Most Syrixians are bilingual. English Mercanti is taught as a lingua franca to communicate with foreign peoples, while Syrixian is taught as the main native language. Syrixian is just Hindi but India doesn't exist here so it's Syrixian.
Fixed that for ya. ;)

I'm still calling it English... No need to bastardize a real language; just call it what it is. English has a unique history that's the result of being developed on the British Isles. For one thing it'll be annoying to correct every new player that comes here and speaks English.

For another thing, it ought to be called Mercantish, because the -i sounds too Latinate and English is a Germanic language; you'd think at the very least a Germanic language's autonym would at the very least be Germanic.

I'm all for calling it, in addition to "English," something fancy-schmancy like "the Common Tongue" if you want, but I view this as just unnecessary.

Syrixia:
RHUVANLAND: The Rhuvishmen speak German, however it is different from regular (Kannexan) German. It is more akin to Austrian German, or, as it is called on Eras, Rhuvish German. There are a few differences here and there, but Rhuvishmen can probably understand Kannexan German.

JOA, das macht mi kein Kummern!~ Drah di ned um, oh oh oh

Kannex speaks German (Standard German German), with some Bavarian present in the eastern regions. A few indigenous languages are spoken in Sonach Province.

In Pelhafor, German is the language of the Protestant elite, while French and Spanish serve as the common tongue. Pelhafor's indigenous languages are also spoken to a greater extent in Pelhafor than in Kannex.

Bootsie:

English - Most common.

French - Diplomacy

German - Native language

Those Languages wouldn't actually exist in Eras.

Arux:
Bootsie:

English - Most common.

French - Diplomacy

German - Native language

Those Languages wouldn't actually exist in Eras.
You want to go there? Humans wouldn't exist on Eras. Modern diplomacy and politics as we know it wouldn't exist on Eras. Guns and warships and aircraft carriers wouldn't exist on Eras. What's the chance that another inhabitable planet in the universe would develop the same civilization and species as Earth?

So honestly it makes no difference.

Kannex:
I'm still calling it English... No need to bastardize a real language; just call it what it is. English has a unique history that's the result of being developed on the British Isles. For one thing it'll be annoying to correct every new player that comes here and speaks English.

For another thing, it ought to be called Mercantish, because the -i sounds too Latinate and English is a Germanic language; you'd think at the very least a Germanic language's autonym would at the very least be Germanic.

I'm all for calling it, in addition to "English," something fancy-schmancy like "the Common Tongue" if you want, but I view this as just unnecessary.

Syrixia:

Kannex speaks German (Standard German German), with some Bavarian present in the eastern regions. A few indigenous languages are spoken in Sonach Province.

In Pelhafor, German is the language of the Protestant elite, while French and Spanish serve as the common tongue. Pelhafor's indigenous languages are also spoken to a greater extent in Pelhafor than in Kannex.
The problem arises when looking at this history of Eras. Eventually the questions arises, where does the primary language we all speak come from? There isn't any British Isles in this universe, there isn't any Germany, there isn't any France. These aren't things whatsoever, I think it would be rather cool to have in-world orgins here. It would do a great deal to explain the ancient history. Perhaps there's an RP introductory post stickied in The Lounge at the end of this convention. It would contain the most important information for RPing in TNP. I.E. A link to the political map, a link to the map of all the landmasses and ocean names produced during this convention, a small table of the top 5 or 10 languages and their IC equivalent. After that maybe a three or four paragraphs made as concise as possible giving a brief history of Eras as a whole.

The difference between technology and languages is that languages are typically named after a region or culture in the real world that won't exist in our world. Technology is by default assumed to have taken the same or very similar course.

I do agree with naming it Mercantish instead, certainly we should have some more people's input before declaring it Mercanti as a name if its going to the English equivalent and therefore the most widespread language on Eras.

Yrkidding:
Kannex:

Syrixia:

The problem arises when looking at this history of Eras. Eventually the questions arises, where does the primary language we all speak come from? There isn't any British Isles in this universe, there isn't any Germany, there isn't any France. These aren't things whatsoever, I think it would be rather cool to have in-world orgins here. It would do a great deal to explain the ancient history. Perhaps there's an RP introductory post stickied in The Lounge at the end of this convention. It would contain the most important information for RPing in TNP. I.E. A link to the political map, a link to the map of all the landmasses and ocean names produced during this convention, a small table of the top 5 or 10 languages and their IC equivalent. After that maybe a three or four paragraphs made as concise as possible giving a brief history of Eras as a whole.

The difference between technology and languages is that languages are typically named after a region or culture in the real world that won't exist in our world. Technology is by default assumed to have taken the same or very similar course.

I do agree with naming it Mercantish instead, certainly we should have some more people's input before declaring it Mercanti as a name if its going to the English equivalent and therefore the most widespread language on Eras.
Culture and language evolves the same way as technology. Certainly if you say the television and the radio exist independent of the real world, that means that Eras has its own inventors. Now, I'm assuming we won't embark on the foolhardy adventure of renaming every inventor and reinventing every invention for the sake of canon consistency. You could surely do the same with languages and culture -- the English language can come from an obscure English people that we will not speak of any more than that. German can come from a German people, without coming from a Germany. There's no need to reinvent the world.

Kannex:
Yrkidding:
Kannex:

Syrixia:

Culture and language evolves the same way as technology. Certainly if you say the television and the radio exist independent of the real world, that means that Eras has its own inventors. Now, I'm assuming we won't embark on the foolhardy adventure of renaming every inventor and reinventing every invention for the sake of canon consistency. You could surely do the same with languages and culture -- the English language can come from an obscure English people that we will not speak of any more than that. German can come from a German people, without coming from a Germany. There's no need to reinvent the world.
Straw man argument yay!!!

For goodness sake, you do not need to go back in history and rename every god damn thing we are going to use in order to justify renaming English, or at least establishing how it became so prevalent in the world of Eras. Certainly if you want to rename inventors you may do so, nothing stopping you. Other nations may contest the invention claim, but so what.

For new members one would assume we could easily establish some introductory literature for them. What is the world called? What are the continents called? What are the dominant religions? What about the languages?

We could also cover things like being a colony of RL nations is not applicable in TNP, which has come up before. Not that difficult and it would certainly be useful for new RPers.

Within my headcanon I usually assume there is some sort of translation convention. With this system, TNP has some sort of lingua franca that we translate as English for our contained universe. Lord of the Rings is probably the best example of this - Sam and Frodo do not speak English, they speak Westron, which Tolkien conveniently translated into English for us when he was transcribing the Red Book of Westmarch.

mcmasterdonia:
Kannex:
Yrkidding:
Kannex:

Syrixia:

Straw man argument yay!!!

For goodness sake, you do not need to go back in history and rename every god damn thing we are going to use in order to justify renaming English, or at least establishing how it became so prevalent in the world of Eras. Certainly if you want to rename inventors you may do so, nothing stopping you. Other nations may contest the invention claim, but so what.

For new members one would assume we could easily establish some introductory literature for them. What is the world called? What are the continents called? What are the dominant religions? What about the languages?

We could also cover things like being a colony of RL nations is not applicable in TNP, which has come up before. Not that difficult and it would certainly be useful for new RPers.
I am saying there is simply no need to rename English and the other RL languages. If you call a radio a radio, you can call English English. You don't need to rename English or to say it comes from this or that made-up place in order to say it exists in this world.

I just believe there's a difference between technology and language. English is very much associated with England and a culture and history that goes along with it. If we had our own language that just happened to be exactly the same as english but with a different name, and more importantly a different history, it would add a great deal of depth to our world. Retaining the name English does exactly what you say, you'd have to attribute the language to some long lost group, their only remnant just happens to be the language spoken everywhere in some capacity. Instead with the Mercanti/Mercantish idea, its something that could've evolved out of trading relations throughout the word over centuries of our IC world of Eras. There's a great deal of potential there.

The radio on the other hand, is not nearly as associated with a single country, and though the consequences of its invention were significant, its use and spread isn't really associated with a country and specific culture as much as languages are.

Listen, Kidding, who cares? We don't need to reinvent the world. You're getting too engrossed in this. Relax and embrace the Ænglisc spræc. :)

As I've said, implicitly we'll have to attribute English to some long-lost group, but that's not really different from the radio. We'll have to implicitly attribute the radio and other inventions to long-lost inventors; it's very unlikely we'll ever go in depth about the origin of either. And although English, yes, has a special relationship to England, the way we use English in this world might as well render that meaningless. Most of our countries use English at any rate; we could simply use it or even call it as the "Common Tongue" without going in depth about it.

For the record I agree we should avoid using RL language names when possible. Seeing the word "English" will just break suspension of disbelief in a way that "radio" will not.

1. A vast majority of Avalonians speak Avalonian as their first language, which is a seemingly isolate language possibly related to the Celtic family of languages. For some reason it sounds funny to native English speakers.

2. A few thousand people also speak Welsh and English as their first or second language in the Fiefdoms of Lyonesse and Lowerdale, respectively.

3. And finally, English has become the main language in business, media and government.

Ever since the Foundational Charter of 2013 became effective, those three Languages have Official Status. Avalonian is treated as the native language in which education is conducted, and English and Welsh are taught from an early age. Compulsory fluency tests for English are taken as many times as needed after Secondary School; an increasingly large number of Avalonish population is fluent in English thanks to this policy.

(About the RL languages... Avalon is a piece of the Real World that used to exist near Britain in times of Merlin and Arthur and then sank to re-emerge again on Eras a few years ago, like some sort of Trans-dimensional island... I know, weird, but it's what my Avalon is anyway...)

Myroria:
For the record I agree we should avoid using RL language names when possible. Seeing the word "English" will just break suspension of disbelief in a way that "radio" will not.
The canon we have here is very different from fantasy. For one thing it would be different if Frodo or Elric of Melniboné stopped and asked, "Do you speak English?" or German or whatever. But here we have a modern-tech RP world that might as well be the real world. To have English in the mix wouldn't really break any "suspension of disbelief"; aside from that, keeping up "suspension of disbelief" is quite easy. Star Wars characters speak English in the English version and Spanish in the Spanish version, and this is a fancy sci-fi "galaxy far, far away" we're talking about.

Our main language is Xentheridan Mercanti (a combination of the two, albeit mainly the latter), while our old (tribal) language was simply Xentheridan. Xentheridan is Swedish, with a few made-up words. For example, our currency is a Woof, which IC was the literal translation of Xentheridan, meaning "currency", e.g. (exampleception) fourteen currency for a pair of shoes. "Currency" in that sense is merely a placeholder, but seeing as we have mainly Mercanti, and other nations have their own currency, we only refer to our currency as a "Woof".

Xentherida:
Our main language is Xentheridan Mercanti English (a combination of the two, albeit mainly the latter), while our old (tribal) language was simply Xentheridan. Xentheridan is Swedish, with a few made-up words. For example, our currency is a Woof, which IC was the literal translation of Xentheridan, meaning "currency", e.g. (exampleception) fourteen currency for a pair of shoes. "Currency" in that sense is merely a placeholder, but seeing as we have mainly Mercanti, and other nations have their own currency, we only refer to our currency as a "Woof".
Pulled a Plemby and fixed that for you.

Here's an idea, actually; let's have a referendum in another thread. Whichever side wins gets their way. Problem solved?

Syrixia:
Xentherida:
Our main language is Xentheridan Mercanti English (a combination of the two, albeit mainly the latter), while our old (tribal) language was simply Xentheridan. Xentheridan is Swedish, with a few made-up words. For example, our currency is a Woof, which IC was the literal translation of Xentheridan, meaning "currency", e.g. (exampleception) fourteen currency for a pair of shoes. "Currency" in that sense is merely a placeholder, but seeing as we have mainly Mercanti, and other nations have their own currency, we only refer to our currency as a "Woof".

Here's an idea, actually; let's have a referendum in another thread. Whichever side wins gets their way. Problem solved?
No. I don't mind people calling their English Mercantish or Mercanti; I just expect that I be able to call English as English and German as German. It goes back to the idea that we can control our own canons, I suppose. As long as we have that, I'm fine.

Kannex:
Syrixia:
Xentherida:

No. I don't mind people calling their English Mercantish or Mercanti; I just expect that I be able to call English as English and German as German. It goes back to the idea that we can control our own canons, I suppose. As long as we have that, I'm fine.
That will create the same problems as last time. We had a similar argument about the planet's name. We put it to a referendum and Eras won over Eve. Now, everyone uses it.

We must use a universal name, for confusion's sake!

Kannex:
As I've said, implicitly we'll have to attribute English to some long-lost group, but that's not really different from the radio. We'll have to implicitly attribute the radio and other inventions to long-lost inventors; it's very unlikely we'll ever go in depth about the origin of either. And although English, yes, has a special relationship to England, the way we use English in this world might as well render that meaningless. Most of our countries use English at any rate; we could simply use it or even call it as the "Common Tongue" without going in depth about it.
I understand that you believe its not necessary to change the name of English but I mean we can easily just decided to draw the line at language and agree to not bother with technology, we've got that sort of authority in this convention. I think changing the name and history gives oppourtunity for greater depth of history for Eras. If we keep the name English that's an oppourtunity lost that people are already interested in taking to make Eras just a little more fleshed out. I understand your concern that it might be slightly confusing for those entering the RP world, but that could easily be solved by an OOC Introductory post.

I will concede that it isn't necessary of course, but I don't see the advantage of keeping the name English, where I do see an interesting advantage for picking a new name. I also don't see any disadvantage to a new name that can't be solved by the introductory post I mentioned earlier.

Of course, as Myoria said, your internal canon is what it is, we wouldn't be able to force you to adopt a new name by any regard, participation would be voluntary I imagine but it would be nice for continuity.

Syrixia:
Xentherida:
Our main language is Xentheridan Mercanti (a combination of the two, albeit mainly the latter), while our old (tribal) language was simply Xentheridan. Xentheridan is Swedish, with a few made-up words. For example, our currency is a Woof, which IC was the literal translation of Xentheridan, meaning "currency", e.g. (exampleception) fourteen currency for a pair of shoes. "Currency" in that sense is merely a placeholder, but seeing as we have mainly Mercanti, and other nations have their own currency, we only refer to our currency as a "Woof".

>____>

We should let it run it's course and have more people give their opinion on it before we rush into a vote. It has been going on for merely hours. Thank goodness you are not the Speaker of the regional assembly. People would be given mere minutes to decide matters of constitutional significance.

I don't see any advantage to keep on using the word english, as opposed to some other word. It allows us to develop the history for where the widely spoken common language developed. As a result of multiple empires trading with one another, vying for military power, political power, and economic power. It makes for a much more interesting story. And it would be easy to share this information with newcomers, combined with all the other matters we are going to decide here. It will help them realise the standard of our RP.

I appreciate that Xentherida has started to use mercanti, though. It is likely that nations would have their own spin off languages from that language.

I just realized that if Mercanti stayed English, Syrixian by that logic would have to be Hindi. GO TEAM MERCANTI!

EDIT: When you say it like that it does seem a bit fast. Let's try out Mercanti and see how it works. I will say, though, I have no interest in a career in legislature. I prefer the Executive Government. :lol:

I'm still calling German German too, but instead of German and Austrian German, it'll be Kannexan German and Rhuvish German.

Back