Oceans and Waterways Naming

Sorry Nebula, I'm going to continue to veto the Nebulan Hegemony Zone so long as Kalti exists where it is.

Also, my nation doesn't use Eve / Eras or whatever other name people come up for the planet... Kaltians call the planet Domhain a Mháthair in a religious context and Cré in a secular context.

As for Callaici and Tir na Andalucia, they have their own names for the planet but for the most part, they are comfortable using the term Cré since the founding of the Union.

The problem with naming seas after nations is that eventually if one nation gets a sea named after them, a bunch of other nations do too; and some will probably cleverly invent some elaborate historical explanation for why the sea should be named after them. Eventually we have a disaster.

It could also be a problem if the nation ceases to exist. I worry about that more than I should. New rule: Role players are not allowed to cease to exist.

Sorted.

That is annoying; when a nation that has contributed a lot for the RP canon CTEs. I think if such a thing happens for a nation we should ask someone to volunteer to hold it in trust, as Pisc is doing for Cronaal and McM is doing for Añola.

Trust requests will only ever be granted in extreme circumstances.

Nierr:
Sea III is actually more of a gulf, similar to the Bay of Biscay or the Mexican Gulf.
I'm sorry, but calling Sea III a 'gulf' is like calling the Indian Ocean the 'Gulf of Afro-Eurasia'.

Hiskjriaana:
Nierr:
Sea III is actually more of a gulf, similar to the Bay of Biscay or the Mexican Gulf.
I'm sorry, but calling Sea III a 'gulf' is like calling the Indian Ocean the 'Gulf of Afro-Eurasia'.
Not really. It's literally part of Ocean IV - just like the Bay of Bengal is part of the Indian Ocean.

There is no existing geographical convention by which you can say that Sea III is actually a sea.

A sea is a body of saline water fully or partially enclosed by land.

An ocean is defined by how it how it separates continents.

A gulf is a very large bay, which is a body of water connected to an ocean, lake or sea, that is formed by an indentation of the shoreline, just like how the coastline of that continent is indented.

Hiskjriaana:
Nierr:
You are ignoring the size of what is labeled "Sea III" the size and geography is more akin to a gulf then a sea.

Rule of thumb, seas generally are surrounded by land with small opens to open ocean (Mediterranean through the strait of Gibraltar and the Suez Canal; Baltic Sea through the tinny straits between the Danish Isles; etc) while Gulfs are surrounded by land but have a large opening to the wider ocean (Gulf of Findland & Bothnia are both gulfs within the Baltic Sea but have a large opening to the Baltic Sea; Gulf of Mexico is surrounded by Mexico and US but have a large opening to the Atlantic Ocea)

Seas do not need to be saline in nature, they can be fresh water as the sea of Galilee. It's possible Sea III could be a a specially defined sea similar in nature to the Sargasso sea which has no coastline but is instead defined by the gyre. On the subject of seas, international law recognizes that all waters be they 'ocean' or 'sea' or 'gulf' are simply and plainly 'the sea.'

Generally what is considered a 'sea' need to be on the edge of an ocean and are semi enclosed bodies of water, but not as enclosed as a gulf or bay. Some seas are well defined areas such as the Sea of Japan, Mediterranean Sea, Black Sea, South China Sea, Caribbean Sea, or Bearing Sea. Others may be areas close to land that are defined by three coasts such as the Arabian Sea, Weddell Sea, North Sea, or Labrador Sea. While some are poorly defined such as the Amundsen Sea, Chilean Sea, Scotia Sea, Laptev Sea, East Siberian Sea, and Beaufort sea.

Oceans, rich in seawater, are the largest bodies of water. EX: Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, and Arctic. At the edges of the oceans are seas, a part of the ocean that is partially enclosed by land. EX: North Sea borders the Atlantic Ocean. Not every “sea” is actually a sea either. EX: Caspian Sea, Dead Sea, and Aral Sea lack an outlet to the ocean and are actually saltwater lakes. Gulfs and bays are water that jut into the land; the term gulf is usually given to the larger version with less enclosure, though these sometimes have a narrow mouth, and are (usually) almost completely surrounded by land. EX: Persian Gulf, and Gulf of Mexico.

The area north of 'C', the area south of 'A'/'B', the area between Cronaal and Nebula, are all areas that could be minor 'seas'.

Sea III could be called a gulf, but the fact it's not as closed gives itself more toward 'sea'.
I believe Hiskjriaana, Aurora Orb, Alta Italia, and Wolfsea among others have areas that could meet the definition of a minor gulf.

mcmasterdonia:
It could also be a problem if the nation ceases to exist. I worry about that more than I should. New rule: Role players are not allowed to cease to exist.

Sorted.
:lol:

In Nebula it's known as the Nebulan Sea. Other countries might call it otherwise, but a standardized name would be useful.

Syrixia:
That is annoying; when a nation that has contributed a lot for the RP canon CTEs. I think if such a thing happens for a nation we should ask someone to volunteer to hold it in trust, as Pisc is doing for Cronaal and McM is doing for Añola.
I don't think it is that viable in the long term. I also don't like the thought of changing the map again, because I hate having to redo maps and factbooks & the like lol. But sometimes change is inevitable. We will just need to adapt.

The reality is that most nations on our map have next to no impact on our RP, and the ones that do are more likely to hang around for a long time.

Right, I had a go at this somewhat. Names are obviously still up for debate as is style and placement. I'll be looking for the cartography team's input on that especially.

With country labels

Without country labels

Currently the font is Frank Ruehl and size 60. Probably won't be that size on the completed map.

Nierr:
Right, I had a go at this somewhat. Names are obviously still up for debate as is style and placement. I'll be looking for the cartography team's input on that especially.

With country labels

Without country labels

Currently the font is Frank Ruehl and size 60. Probably won't be that size on the completed map.
Can you do a black outline around the white letters? Should help it stand out more and be more readable.

Also I would like to resuggest that Sea I be called The Roaring Sea.

Can strait 'F' be named: 'Glasswater Channel' I don't think there was any disagreement with that the last time it was put forward.

Back