Continental Names

Yrkidding

TNPer
-
Continental Naming
We've decided in a previous convention the name of the world, Eras. The next level down is continents, I've started this thread to work on that idea.

First off, the latest political map for reference: http://i.imgur.com/4GLpIhd.png And the latest physical map for reference: https://jumpshare.com/v/ENgvZkyW3bnza78J7NKt
Please note that the physical map is more out of date than the political one.

Second, we need to define the borders of these continents. I understand that Nierr has put a fair deal of thought into the physical map, and has possibly accounted for continents. In the event that he has I believe we should use those, barring that I've got the following proposal for 5 continents: http://i.imgur.com/k2Jy6yy.png

Third, we need to agree on a system of naming these continents. The obvious would be the majority of nations voting for a name, but there's other methods out there.

Finally, name proposals can be put here.

Thoughts on all of the above are encouraged.

Major Landmass Naming

Major Landmasses: http://i.imgur.com/ri4vvza.png

Landmass A Nations: (Suggested Names: Kian, )
Ixaia, Salvarity, Sirisea, Esplandia, Anola, McM, Hollanda, Lord Ravenclaw, Naizerre, Shiraq, Azen, Pereslavl-Zalessky

Landmass B Nations: (Suggested Names: Meresosh, )
Swetopia, Myoria, GBM

Landmass C Nations:
Tir Na Andalucia, Dolphmerica, Stovilium, Luskainia, Arux

Landmass D Nations:
McM, GBM

Landmass E Nations,
Arux, the New Sekais, Norway XXVIII, New Haven America

Landmass F Nations: (Suggested Names: Archlancer Island)
The Lancerian Empire, Archegnum

Landmass G Nations: Suggested Names: Messina, )
Archegnum, Ryccia, Eumenor, Dai Nippon Teikoku, Lojbanic Republic, Trinster, Rhuvanland, Bonreas, Kannex, The Cascadian Commonwealth, Guslantis, Varincia

Landmass H Nations: (Suggested Names: Caltania, )
Funadelia, Portmantea, Arethos, Syrixia, Kalatun, Eirennea, Kalatun, Etarr, Lorbank, Xentherida, Andulus/Ertolia?, Zazumo, True Sebland,

Landmass I Nations: (Suggested Names: Piscataquis)
Xentherida, Nebula, Tomb, Callaici, Ceretis, Plembobria

Landmass J Nations:
Noviran, Dalies, Transcampania, Nagapairenahkerey, Hemland, Nessuno, Norvalkin, Aurora Orb, Francovania, Zyvetskistaahn, Floresque, Imperium Augustum

Landmass K Nations: (Suggested Names: Remus, )
Imperium Augustum, Nierr, Kialga-Lourti, Russian Republic, Kannex, The Hinterland, Alta Italia, Merconitonitopia, Sadakoyama, Andulus, Ceretis, Wolfsea

Landmass L Nations: (The northern K, it's a part of the Seren Islands, still needs a name.)
Nebula, Yaraennus.
- Kalti's Archipelago is named the Niamh Archipelago.

What happened to Nierr? He used to border me in the north.

I propose we pick names with meaning rather than choose random sci-fi spacey-sounding words.

I have a bit trouble with the continent map. Caltania maintains that it is its own continent, and has (iirc) called itself so in the past. Caltania should have its own plate.

Syrixia:
I have a bit trouble with the continent map. Caltania maintains that it is its own continent, and has (iirc) called itself so in the past. Caltania should have its own plate.
That would be a pretty small continent though I think, would you at all consider using Caltania as the name of the region/island that makes up that half of the continent as a whole?

I too think that Continent 3 should be split, as they are separate.

I would like to nominate the subcontinent as Xoris.

Hmm. I'm fresh out of name ideas for Continent IV. My neighbors and I should work on a name for our island as well.

Bootsie:
I too think that Continent 3 should be split, as they are separate.

I would like to nominate the subcontinent as Xoris.
I understand the separate sentiments, but if you look at the map it looks as if those two landmasses were once one, they fit together almost like puzzle pieces, I'll admit I've very little knowledge of geography but I think that's a sign of having been the same continent. Same thing I said for Syrxia, would you consider the Xoris as a name for half the continent, the island/land mass that makes up that half?

Yrkidding:
Syrixia:
That would be a pretty small continent though I think, would you at all consider using Caltania as the name of the region/island that makes up that half of the continent as a whole?
No, thank you. Small continents aren't, like, against geology. They're possible, providing the continent in question has a tectonic plate that covers most of it, and that most people recognize it as a continent. I've never seen opposition to Caltanian continent status.

Caltania is a continent.

plembobria:
Hmm. I'm fresh out of name ideas for Continent IV. My neighbors and I should work on a name for our island as well.
If people were interested, I was thinking about a North and South America style name for continent's IV and V, the central america equivalent here being the strait through Imperium Augustum.

Here's an idea. Let me have a hand at this. I looked at Kidding's map and to me it seems more like a tectonic plate map.

[me] opens Paintbrush

AND SOME NAME GUIDELINES AND SUGGESTIONS: (Not all are filled)

1- ___ Plate
2- ___ Plate
3- Gimian Plate
4- Caltanian Plate
5- Xorisian Plate
6- ___ Plate
7- ___ Plate
8- Malvadian Plate
9- ___ Plate
10- ___ Plate
11- ___ Plate
12- Seran Plate

Syrixia:
plates.png
Because the image is huge, I've taken to linking the URL so that the browser can scale the image properly in a new tab instead of using the spoiler tag, could I respectfully ask the same of you?

I also think that Nierr will likely have important input here, I believe his map or mapping program has taken plates into consideration.

Yrkidding:
Syrixia:
plates.png
Because the image is huge, I've taken to linking the URL so that the browser can scale the image properly in a new tab instead of using the spoiler tag, could I respectfully ask the same of you?
Just did. I also edited my post so take a look at my name suggestions.

EDIT: Probably, and I certainly hope he will be involved.

Plate tectonics also determine geological features like mountains and such. Your plates have absolutely no land boundaries, which is quite unrealistic.

I was wondering about that, and the main reason I didn't put it in is because I thought it to be quite godmodish. I have a few places for possible land boundaries, if you want to see a map with them.

I'm suggesting the continent with Nierr, Kannex, Wolfsea, and Sadoyakama be called Remus, in honor of the Latinate countries present.

plembobria:
3oj2RxS.png
That seems a bit too easy; a bit too generic, if you will. The land boundaries should be present in the current geography of the islands.

[me] pulls up Paintbrush

You're missing the point. In this map, the plate tectonics are clearly related to mountain ranges on the map, and other topographical differences.

I'm more interested in politics and history rather than geology; sure as hell don't care where the fault lines go. Let's work on continent names rather than reinvent the Earth.

The continent I'm on can have one name and then be divided north-south, ie. North ___ and South ___. It can still be considered one continent but it would help narrow down where countries are located on it.

Syrixia:
Just because you call yourself a continent doesn't mean you are on your plate.

Technically, Europe and Asia are on the same plate, but are considering different continents.

Nierr:
Syrixia:

Technically, Europe and Asia are on the same plate, but are considering different continents.
What do you guys have against Caltania? I see no geological reason why it shouldn't be its own continent. It is surrounded by water on all sides, is on a tectonic plate, and has a diverse group of flora and fauna.

Give me one solid reason why Caltania should not have a tectonic plate of its own.

The continent has nothing to do with the plates. They are two different entities.

I can confirm that the islands that Kalti inhabits are called the Niamh Archipelago by the people living there. As for the plate that it is located on, no one has ever bothered much with figuring that out. Callaici and Tir na Andalucia are different matters and I've yet to delve into what the people would call the continent / land mass they live on.

Syrixia:
Nierr:
Syrixia:

What do you guys have against Caltania? I see no geological reason why it shouldn't be its own continent. It is surrounded by water on all sides, is on a tectonic plate, and has a diverse group of flora and fauna.

Give me one solid reason why Caltania should not have a tectonic plate of its own.
In real life India has its own tectonic plate but is still part of the Asian continent. I'm not disagreeing with Caltania being its own continent but just pointing out that continents and plates are different. :unsure:

Syrixia, take it easy please, there's a lot opinions right now, and we haven't really decided anything in the grand total 20 minutes this thread has existed. I just don't think we've settled anything as fact, there's other nations that obviously need to weigh in and Nierr's potentially important input to consider.

Kannex:
I'm suggesting the continent with Nierr, Kannex, Wolfsea, and Sadoyakama be called Remus, in honor of the Latinate countries present.
I have to admit a continent named after Remus would be pretty awesome and since my nation resides on said continent, I support the naming.

I just thought. A good crap really releases that stress.

Here's what I thought. Say we have Caltania and Xoris be one plate but two continents? Like Europe and Asia. We can call it the Caltano-Xorisian Plate.

I am suggesting that the continent with McMasterdonia, Myroria, Salvarity, Lord Ravenclaw (Ravenscrown), Azen, Naizierre, Añola be called "Kian".

The Empire that existed between many of these nations was called the Kianese Empire, so I think the name of Kian is suitable.

I'm fine with McMasterdonia's suggestion for that.

EDIT: Something we may want to keep in mind is that everyone probably has their own name for their continent but the common name would probably be determined by whatever nation on that continent is powerful when cartography really takes off in the 1300-1400s.

The way I've developed Sadakoyama's geology it would have to be on it's own, small plate, as its mountains are a result of a subduction zone.

As for continent names, I have no preference since we are relative latecomers.

Back