Continental Names

mcmasterdonia:
Agreed :P

I don't care about tectonic plates at all :P
We should worry less about tectonic plates and more about naming the damn continents. Plates we can do as a side project if we're bored enough. :lol:

Before we can name the continents, we have to define the borders of each continent so as to involve all relevant parties in the naming process. I've come to believe that we're likely not going to settle that sort of thing on our own, therefore I think we should allow Nierr full power in deciding all the continent borders while still leaving the naming process for us.

ooo a topic on geology! My second <3 :D

plembobria:
Plate tectonics also determine geological features like mountains and such. Your plates have absolutely no land boundaries, which is quite unrealistic.
Yes. I do agree :)

IMHO, the naming of the continents is a different issue from geology. India and Australia theoretically share a plate (which is breaking up), but are considered not part of the same continent.

A geological map is best coupled with the creation of the physical geography of the region. Because geology dictates whether you will have mountains, volcanoes, or be prone to tsunamis. Not to sound self-aggrandizing, but this was what I made for my old region. Notice that most volcanoes and some mountain ranges follow subduction zones, while some other mountain ranges follow transform faults. The characteristics of the plate boundaries depend on what direction are they moving to.

I think the best way is to let this thread be just about naming the continents and seas. We can probably work on the physical map and geologic map after consultation with everyone with regards to what they think their country's physical geography looks like (flat plains? mountains? volcanically active?). Then make a physical map that would be plausible geologically. :)

I agree with Kyle. :)

Our map is not an archipelago, but it is more archipelagic than the map of the real world. As such, I think we should focus less on the term "continent", which normally we think of as giant stretches of land, and think more about reasonable groupings of nations along a variety of natural borders. After all, continents are mostly ways for us to conceptualize the world and box things off with neat labels, but can get very messy when you start looking too closely around the edges.

So, for example, the largish island with Plembobria, Callaici, Xentherida, Tomb, and Ceretis is certainly not a continent as we normally think of them. But it is its own piece of land, separated from everything by a water border, and those nations should select a name for it. They would probably also be included when people talk about the rest of the land to the right of them (North Whatever), just like when we talk broadly about Asia we're including Japan and all of the islands of Southeast Asia (Phillipines, Indonesia, etc) in that term.

I don't think it's hugely important for us to first decide how many groupings there are, and after that give them names. The residents in different areas can work out their own names. If Sirisea, Esplandia, and Ixaia want to be on a grouping with just themselves, and not all the nations to the east or southeast, that's fine - that's a set. If they'd all rather be together as one, also fine. If there's areas where none of the nations placed there are active, then sure, we can wrap things up by assigning groupings and naming them for the residents.

Of course, I have no real stake in the matter. :P

Oh and for what it's worth, the Sillish terms for the two continents near it are Mahana Kanapa (to the southeast) and Malo'o Kanapa (to the north).

I think you've got a point there, SS. I figured that the individual major landmasses would have their own names under the continent name anyways, so let's shelve the continent discussion for now and move on to those major landmasses, I believe we'll have much more progress there for the time being. I've made an image that lists every major landmass.

That is here: http://i.imgur.com/ri4vvza.png

Landmass A Nations:
Ixaia, Salvarity, Sirisea, Esplandia, Anola, McM, Hollanda, Lord Ravenclaw, Naizerre, Shiraq, Azen, Pereslavl-Zalessky

Landmass B Nations:
Swetopia, Myoria, GBM

Landmass C Nations:
Tir Na Andalucia, Dolphmerica, Stovilium, Luskainia, Arux

Landmass D Nations:
McM, GBM

Landmass E Nations,
Arux, the New Sekais, Norway XXVIII, New Haven America

Landmass F Nations, (Tentative Name: Archlancer Island)
The Lancerian Empire, Archegnum

Landmass G Nations,
Archegnum, Ryccia, Eumenor, Dai Nippon Teikoku, Lojbanic Republic, Trinster, Rhuvanland, Bonreas, Kannex, The Cascadian Commonwealth, Guslantis, Varincia

Landmass H Nations, (Tentative Name Caltania)
Funadelia, Portmantea, Arethos, Syrixia, Kalatun, Eirennea, Kalatun, Etarr, Lorbank, Xentherida, Andulus/Ertolia?, Zazumo, True Sebland,

Landmass I Nations,
Xentherida, Nebula, Tomb, Callaici, Ceretis, Plembobria

Landmass J Nations,
Noviran, Dalies, Transcampania, Nagapairenahkerey, Hemland, Nessuno, Norvalkin, Aurora Orb, Francovania, Zyvetskistaahn, Floresque, Imperium Augustum

Landmass K Nations,
Imperium Augustum, Nierr, Kialga-Lourti, Russian Republic, Kannex, The Hinterland, Alta Italia, Merconitonitopia, Sadakoyama, Andulus, Ceretis, Wolfsea

Landmass L Nations (Yes, I messed up the image, its the northern K, also is this the Seren Islands?)
Nebula, Yaraennus.

Tolima, Hiskjriaana, Yeraennus, Kalti, Tortoisica and that unclaimed island are all part of the Seran Islands.

I'm an island country and therefore dispense myself of any naming responsibilities for this. :P

Meresosh, pronounced with a round O, is the Myrorian name for its continent, Landmass B. If Swetopia or GBM would prefer something else I am quite alright with that.

Just as a note, with the scale we're using, we'd actually have less continents than we think.

The largest nation on the map is GBM, whose landmass is actually only slightly larger than Peru, in terms of area. So our continents may actually be very very small.

Nierr:
Just as a note, with the scale we're using, we'd actually have less continents than we think.

The largest nation on the map is GBM, whose landmass is actually only slightly larger than Peru, in terms of area. So our continents may actually be very very small.
One of the reasons I suggested focusing on nation groupings to start with. :P

Kannex, you should probably consult with Elu, Nierr, and Grim, at minimum, about that name, since all of them are active and on the same landmass.

Nierr:

If I may ask, what is the scale we're using? :)

I edited the OP to include the landmasses and the suggested names so far.

Tolima, Hiskjriaana, Yeraennus, Kalti, Tortoisica and that unclaimed island are all part of the Seran Islands.
Cool, still need a name for the main island there though.

For Kalti, there are no names for the individual islands at this point other than the name of the state that is located there. As a whole however, the entire Kaltian area is known as the Niamh Archipelago. I do not know what the other islands are called, would have to ask the nations on them.

For landmass G, either Messena (Messina, an Italian city next to Catania -- Syrixia's continent is called Caltania -- arbitrary, but eh) or Fenixia, since we already have a Phoenix Strait.

mcmasterdonia:
Landmass A, I suggested Kian, which Myroria has also endorsed.
I'll third that. I'm gonna call the part of the continent north of Dallicania North Kian and the rest is South Kian just because I can. In Quaelech, my language, it would be Nalnorthen Kianlecht.

I think all the islands northwest of Cronaal should act as a Continent since they are kind of like an archipelago

plembobria:
I recommend Piscataquis as a name for our island.
Hey, isn't that a place in Maine?
Jokes aside, I'm not exactly a fan of the name, although I don't have any contributions to the name of our continent. I do prefer Ceretis' suggestion, although I feel a name more related to the large lake in the centre of the landmass would be better.

Back