Legal Code Reformatting Bill

So, SillyString and Eluvatar have said that this law needs a clarification after my original intentions of rewrite it, I withdrew that proposal. This law needs to be clarified nevertheless.

To ensure the amendment following this one can be correctly written,

The Preamble of the North Pacific Legal Code shall be amended as follows:
In order to present a clearer and more comprehensible legal system, the Regional Assembly undertakes to keep the law of the North Pacific organized and clear. This Code will be divided into several Chapters, which may contain Sections. Clauses must be numbered consecutively within a Chapter beginning with the number 1. Clauses may have subclauses in the form of letters in the event that a list must be referenced in the clause. Clauses may be referenced by chapter, clause number, and if applicable sub-clause letter, but clause numbers and sub-clause letters will not be considered part of the law, nor will they have any legal effects. The Speaker will manage the numbering of clauses in accordance with the above requirements.
Section 5.4 of The North Pacific Legal Code shall be reformatted as follows:
Section 5.4: Endorsement Gathering
20. The Delegate may eject or ban for reckless endorsement gathering any nation in The North Pacific which meets all of the following criteria:
  • It is not in the Council or holding the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate.
  • It has been reported to the Delegate as a possible threat to regional security by the Council.
  • It has continued actively gathering endorsements after two warnings against gathering endorsements sent at least two days apart from each other.
  • It has more endorsements than 50 fewer than the Vice Delegate or 75 per cent of the Delegate's endorsement level, whichever is least.
21. The Delegate may eject or ban for reckless endorsement gathering any nation in The North Pacific which exceeds the Vice Delegate's endorsement count.
22. Nations banned for reckless endorsement gathering must remain banned at least until they update outside The North Pacific.
23. Non-incumbent candidates for Delegate or Vice Delegate may not obtain an endorsement level during the election cycle greater than the level authorized for members of the Security Council under this chapter.
In order to present a clearer and more comprehensible legal system, the Regional Assembly undertakes to keep the law of the North Pacific organized and clear. This Code will be divided into several Chapters, which may contain Sections. Clauses must be numbered consecutively within a Chapter beginning with the number 1. Clauses may have subclauses in the form of letters in the event that a list must be referenced in the clause. Clauses may be referenced by chapter, clause number, and if applicable sub-clause letter, but clause numbers and sub-clause letters will not be considered part of the law, nor will they have any legal effects. The Speaker will manage the numbering of clauses in accordance with the above requirements.

Might I suggest the following instead?
Section 5.4, clauses 20-24 of the Legal Code shall be amended as follows:

20. The Delegate may eject or ban for reckless endorsement gathering any nation in The North Pacific meets all of the following criteria:
  • It has been reported to the Delegate as a possible threat to regional security by the Council.
  • It has continued actively gathering endorsements after two warnings against gathering endorsements sent at least two days apart from each other.
  • It has more endorsements than 50 fewer than the Vice Delegate or 75 per cent of the Delegate's endorsement level, whichever is least.
You don't need the rest of the clauses that you aren't amending, because numbering is automatic and not part of the law itself, so the numbers will follow suit when you change something. And this uses a list tag instead of just asterisks, so it's easier to read. :)

SillyString:
Might I suggest the following instead?
Section 5.4, clauses 20-24 of the Legal Code shall be amended as follows:

20. The Delegate may eject or ban for reckless endorsement gathering any nation in The North Pacific meets all of the following criteria:
You don't need the rest of the clauses that you aren't amending, because numbering is automatic and not part of the law itself, so the numbers will follow suit when you change something. And this uses a list tag instead of just asterisks, so it's easier to read. :)
Done :)

I would prefer we also systematize subclauses. Bullet points are ugly, and hard to reference. We may as well introduce letter-enumerated subclauses formally. We'd want to amend the preamble to the Legal Code as well (and perhaps amend the NPA doctrine to use this style).

For the subclause format, I'd suggest something like:

Chapter 1: Example Law

Section 1: Example Section
1. Example clause
  • Example subclause the first.
  • Example subclause the second
2. Example clause

The bbcode for this example is:

Code:
[big][b]Chapter 1: Example Law[/b][/big] 

[b]Section 1: Example Section[/b]
1. Example clause[list=a][*]Example subclause the first.
[*]Example subclause the second[/list]2. Example clause

Eluvatar:
I would prefer we also systematize subclauses. Bullet points are ugly, and hard to reference. We may as well introduce letter-enumerated subclauses formally. We'd want to amend the preamble to the Legal Code as well (and perhaps amend the NPA doctrine to use this style).

For the subclause format, I'd suggest something like:

Chapter 1: Example Law

Section 1: Example Section
1. Example clause
  • Example subclause the first.
  • Example subclause the second
2. Example clause

The bbcode for this example is:

Code:
[big][b]Chapter 1: Example Law[/b][/big] 

[b]Section 1: Example Section[/b]
1. Example clause[list=a][*]Example subclause the first.
[*]Example subclause the second[/list]2. Example clause
Ill try to implement something like this.

This is the current preamble to the Legal Code, by the by:

In order to present a clearer and more comprehensible legal system, the Regional Assembly undertakes to keep the law of the North Pacific organized and clear. This Code will be divided into several Chapters, which may contain Sections. Clauses must be numbered consecutively within a Chapter beginning with the number 1. Clauses may be referenced by chapter and clause number, but clause numbers will not be considered part of the law, nor will they have any legal effects. The Speaker will manage the numbering of clauses in accordance with the above requirements.

20. The Delegate may eject or ban for reckless endorsement gathering any nation in The North Pacific that/which (pick one) meets all of the following criteria:

proposed amendment:

20. The Delegate may eject or ban for reckless endorsement gathering any nation in The North Pacific which meets all of the following criteria:

1. It is not in the Council or holding the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate.
So SC members and the VD can't be ejected for reckless endorsement gathering even if they've met the other 3 criteria? :ermm: That seems unwise somehow.

I don't think the bit about the Delegate is necessary since there are no restrictions on endorsement gathering.

falapatorius:
proposed amendment:

1. It is not in the Council or holding the office of Delegate or Vice Delegate.
So SC members and the VD can't be ejected for reckless endorsement gathering even if they've met the other 3 criteria? :ermm: That seems unwise somehow.

I don't think the bit about the Delegate is necessary since there are no restrictions on endorsement gathering.
This text is already in the legal code. This is just a reformatting of it.

JhonsJoe:
That should fix the preamble problem.

And with that, I move for a vote.
The motion is noted, however, I shall not be beginning formal debate on the Bill. The Bill was introduced only yesterday and ought to receive more substantial consideration before formal debate. If the proposer again moves for vote, after the Bill has been considered further and more members have had opportunity to contribute, I will likely accept the motion and begin formal debate. If, however, the proposer is dissatisfied with that, they may move for an immediate vote, which, I believe, presently requires the support of five members (including the proposer), if I am incorrect in the support required I shall note so later but I cannot presently check.

Regarding the title of the Bill, the title of the Bill really ought to be included in the opening post as part of the Bill itself, I have, however, amended the thread title to the requested amended version.

Just technicality but this is actually a revision of the preamble and reformat of section 5.4 rather than a reformat of 5.4-5.5

Other than That, I think that this should have been part of it since the beginning. Full support.

falapatorius:
Well, they can if they exceed the VD's endorsement count... but yeah, we can't deal with a couping VD under this clause. Might want to rework the wording.

Jhons Joe:
This text is already in the legal code. This is just a reformatting of it.
Ah yes.. that's true. But my statement still applies. What of the remainder of that section of the Legal Code?:

Section 5.4: Legal Code:
25. The Delegate may eject or ban for reckless endorsement gathering any nation in The North Pacific which exceeds the Vice Delegate's endorsement count.
26. Nations banned for reckless endorsement gathering must remain banned at least until they update outside The North Pacific.
27. Non-incumbent candidates for Delegate or Vice Delegate may not obtain an endorsement level during the election cycle greater than the level authorized for members of the Security Council under this chapter.
I'm guessing you're not amending that? Please leave that in there if you want it to remain.. otherwise it looks like you're striking it. The Speaker will take care of re-numbering clauses as necessary.

Silly String:
Well, they can if they exceed the VD's endorsement count... but yeah, we can't deal with a couping VD under this clause. Might want to rework the wording.
It does seem like an oversight, yes.

"The Permeable of the North Pacific Legal Code shall be amended as follows:"

Should be "preamble" not "Permeable."

I noticed this proposal is amending Section 5.4 and Section 5.5 (well.. according to it's title anyway). I haven't seen any reference to 5.5 yet.

Section 5.5:
Section 5.5: Sanity

28. The Security Council Law is to be applied in a reasonable manner.
Although I find this clause amusing, are you striking it, re-numbering, or was it's inclusion in the proposal unintentional?

It was originally included in the proposal, but I suggested removing it since it wasn't being changed. Looks like the title didn't change to match.

Zyvetskistaahn:
JhonsJoe:
I'll try again. I move for a vote
The motion is noted. The Bill is now in formal debate, which shall last for five days, after which a vote shall be scheduled.
I officially oppose the move to formal vote at this time. I think any proposal that related to the security of the region deserves more consideration that this motion has received.

I concur with Flemingovia. A few more days will not hurt us.

flemingovia:
Zyvetskistaahn:
JhonsJoe:
The motion is noted. The Bill is now in formal debate, which shall last for five days, after which a vote shall be scheduled.
I officially oppose the move to formal vote at this time. I think any proposal that related to the security of the region deserves more consideration that this motion has received.
The objection is noted, formal debate, however, will continue.

flemingovia:
JhonsJoe:
Rushed law is bad law. Why are you hurrying this through so fast? Is there something you are hoping we will not notice?
With all due respect, it's a formatting change. If you think this is a conspiracy, read the bill over as many times as you need. No actual laws pertaining to regional security are being altered.

There is a principle involved. From some people there seems to be an undue haste in rushing proposals to vote after just a few days, or even hours of the proposal being posted. this is not a good habit to get into.

This is not the last day of formal debate, formal debate begins when announced by the Speaker, or in this case Deputy Speaker, and by my time, I announced its beginning on the 23rd, so with it being the 26th presently there are two days remaining. Regarding the title, I say again that the title of the bill ought to be contained in the OP, like so:

Legal Code Reformatting Act:
21. The Delegate may eject or ban for reckless endorsement gathering any nation in The North Pacific which exceeds the Vice Delegate's endorsement count.
22. Nations banned for reckless endorsement gathering must remain banned at least until they update outside The North Pacific.
23. Non-incumbent candidates for Delegate or Vice Delegate may not obtain an endorsement level during the election cycle greater than the level authorized for members of the Security Council under this chapter.

That way it is clear what the Bill is to be titled and requests to change the title do not end up being missed (and the Speaker's Office does not have to change the thread title each time the Bill's title is changed, as the title of the thread would likely still correspond to the subject of the Bill). I have, nonetheless, amended the title of the thread.

EDIT: typo, "22nd" edited to "23rd"

Zyvetskistaahn:
This is not the last day of formal debate, formal debate begins when announced by the Speaker, or in this case Deputy Speaker, and by my time, I announced its beginning on the 22nd, so with it being the 26th presently there are two days remaining. Regarding the title, I say again that the title of the bill ought to be contained in the OP, like so:

Legal Code Reformatting Act:

That way it is clear what the Bill is to be titled and requests to change the title do not end up being missed (and the Speaker's Office does not have to change the thread title each time the Bill's title is changed, as the title of the thread would likely still correspond to the subject of the Bill). I have, nonetheless, amended the title of the thread.
Ah, my mistake. Thanks.

Can I suggest taking out all the green and bolding, since I presume we're not actually adding those into the Legal Code?

SillyString:
Can I suggest taking out all the green and bolding, since I presume we're not actually adding those into the Legal Code?
What are you referring to? All of it? The preamble or the section?

Back