Novrith Conference

Pauline Bonaparte

Her Worshipfulness
-
TNP Nation
Floresque
Discord
DivaythFyr
[img=175,250]http://wiki.taijitu.org/w/images/thumb/4/4c/Fendrina_lesser_coat_of_arms.svg/451px-Fendrina_lesser_coat_of_arms.svg.png[/img]

THE SEDERA'S RESIDENCE
PELAGIS

It pleases Us Upon the Auspicious Throne of the Spirits and Ancestors to announce the scheduling of a conference in Our city of Novrith. Invited to this conference are the leaders of the world; the intent is to discuss the matters of those nations non-aligned to any major Eastern alliance. This is a subject well-known to Us, who rule over a nation that has long avoided any foreign entanglements.

Despite the traditions Our predecessors, Blessed Be Their Ancestral Ghosts, set for the All-House Union of Myroria, We believe that now is the time for Us to come to a table of negotiation. We are quite certain that there are many governments that feel similarly to Ourselves; governments and rulers that are wary or suspicious of the existing power structure imposed upon them. Perhaps they, like Us, are at times suspicious of the Established Peoples to the east that seem to wield authority within these treaties that is inordinate to their contributions.

It is Our wish that this conference in Novrith will allow nations with concerns similar to Ours to speak openly of them with total candor and honesty. We wish to see this gathering be a productive conversation of equals, who will work together to answer the concerns of nations unsettled by the grand alliances and movements of the Established Peoples. By the end of the conference, We hope the delegates leave with a renewed commitment to each other and the world. We cannot predict the outcome of this conference, but We hope in particular that it leads to greater collaboration between the non-aligned nations of Eras; an alliance, perhaps, formal or informal, of the outcast and the little-heeded.

Novrith is a port city on the great ocean - a living and breathing settlement that, nearly three centuries ago, housed the conference that freed the All-House Union from the decaying claws of the Intelligensian Devils to the south. There is no place in Myroria more suited to hold a conference of similar gravity.

We plan to open this conference on the holy Day of the Dead, an important holiday filled with somber celebration and happy grief. To the Established Peoples who use their foreign calendar, this year the Day of the Dead falls on October the twelfth. Invited is any nation that can send a representative and has thoughts on their mind. We can assure the safety and security of all delegates, though it saddens Us that we must assure such a basic expectation of diplomacy. Perhaps this may be discussed as well.

We wish the recipients of this letter well. We bless you, your family, and the spirits of your departed ancestors. May they watch over you in this life so that you may join them familial celebration in the next.

With sincerity,

Her Majesty, Sedera of Myroria, Duchess of Pelagis, Lady Protector of the Eluvataran Isles, &c., &c.,
FENDRINA I QUARROVTH SED.

[img=125,125]http://wiki.taijitu.org/w/images/thumb/5/53/Myroria_seal.svg/600px-Myroria_seal.svg.png[/img]

Dear Head of the Majority Idris Quarrovth,

My administration has been pleased to receive word of a conference to be held in Novrith among the various nations of our part of The North Pacific. In our long and close partnership with your Houses, both our Commonwealth and your Union have greatly benefited. A conference to pursue cooperation with other nations which share our interests is most welcome, and holds the interest of my cabinet.

I trust that representatives of the Commonwealth will be welcome to this conference to pursue our mutually beneficial interests. My cabinet fears for the consequences should they be turned away, particularly in the current circumstances, and I hope that you can permit me to reassure them.

Your dear friend,

Chancellor Madhir Fulpagneo of the Commonwealth of Eluvataran Isles

A Message to Her Majesty Sedera of Myroria:
His Royal Majesty, Belrak of the clan Sahas, High King of the Islands of Vazos, has heard the invitation of Her Majesty and wishes to notify the government of Myroria that Vazos will be represented by His Excellency Ardo, Lord Nahata and His Excellency Tol, Lord Muldahar at the Novrith Conference. Lord Nahata sits on the Royal Council as a special adviser for culture and the arts. Lord Muldahar likewise is a member of the Royal Council as an adviser for economic, agricultural, and industrial issues. We are honored to accept this invitation as our borders open for the first time in centuries.

Via sincere,
Chancellor Sinad Tore? of the Kingdom of Vazos

A Diplomatic Communique to Her Majesty Sedera of Myroria:
zG5qvTz.jpg

FROM THE DESK OF
THE PRESIDENT OF THE TECH REPUBLIC

I, Randal Q. Hacker III, President of the Technological Republic of Norvalkin, do hereby acknowledge receipt of, and accept, the invitation to attend the conference called forth by Her Majesty Sedera of Myroria. I would furthermore submit The Honorable Matthew A. Sanders (Secretary of State for the Tech Republic) as an additional attendee.

I do hereby affirm that Mr. Sanders is, as with all of my senior staff, a duly sworn Representative of the Tech Republic, accredited and empowered to act as such, insofar as it pertains to his duties overseeing Norvalkin's foreign affairs. Furthermore, if it pleases Your Majesty, Mr. Sanders will gladly present his diplomatic credentials at a time and date of Your choosing.

On behalf of the Tech Republic,

TIyo8zB.jpg

Randal Q. Hacker III, President of Norvalkin

5WoChLb.jpg

Matthew A. Sanders, Secretary of State of Norvalkin

A basic email is sent from a small, cramped office in the Plaza de Añola.

TO: Sedera

After hours of pondering over the wording of the letter that was sent from the Myrorians to the many nations across the region, and we have decided to, con dignidad, accept the proposal. We believe that the Monarquìa is often looked down upon, as a minor nation that is a servant to the McMasterdonians and is brash, especially considering the later-king Carlos Rogueze's recent actions with the Syr-Añol citizens that resided within the city of Paubloro. At this, I'll believe I will pause and leave the stories for when they're needed.

We will be coming and will send whomever we deem is appropriate.

[img=212,75]http://wiki.taijitu.org/w/images/thumb/2/26/Foreign_office_logo_tnp.svg/800px-Foreign_office_logo_tnp.svg.png[/img]

Chancellor Madhir Fulpagneo
Carth, Commonwealth of the Eluvataran Isles

Mr. Chancellor,

Representatives from the Commonwealth are as welcome to the Novrith Conference to be begin this Monday as any sovereign and independent nation in attendance. I have word from Her Majesty herself that this arrangement is in recognition of the long and fruitful association the Isles have with the All-House Union; the Sedera has no intention of treating your Commonwealth like any simple province of Myroria.

Despite Her Majesty's recent veto of your budget proposal, she desires very much to treat your delegation just as she would treat any that of any other country meeting the Union in a diplomatic fashion. There is no ill-will harbored by Her Majesty towards the Commonwealth despite the recent strains in our relationship and in fact Her Majesty and her party would enjoy the attendance of an Eluvataran delegation very much.

I hope to see the teal and purple of the flag of the Eluvataran Isles flying alongside those of sovereign nations on Monday. Of course, Her Majesty ordered herself that the flag of your Commonwealth be flown at the same height as every sovereign nation in attendance despite your protectorate status. The Foreign and Diplomatic Office dearly hopes that this symbol of goodwill will be greeted warmly upon your arrival on Monday.

In sincerity,
Foreign Minister Morvene Novroth

[img=212,75]http://wiki.taijitu.org/w/images/thumb/2/26/Foreign_office_logo_tnp.svg/800px-Foreign_office_logo_tnp.svg.png[/img]

Chancellor Sinad Tore?
Blankastelo, Kingdom of Vazos

Mr. Chancellor,

It pleases the Foreign and Diplomatic Office as well as Her Majesty the Sedera to see that your nation will be in attendance at the Novrith Conference this Monday. Your delegation will be well taken care of in Novrith, and if I may suggest so, the numerous museums and concert halls in the city may be of some interest to His Excellency Lord Nahata. Your accommodations will, of course, be paid for by the government of the All-House Union.

You do us great honor by making Myroria among the first state trips your government undertakes following the opening of your borders.

In sincerity,

President Randall Q. Hacker
Technological Republic of Norvalkin

Mr. President,

Thank you for your response to our invitation. The All-House Union is particularly excited to meet your delegates at the Novrith Conference this Monday and looks forward to speaking with yourself and the Honorable Secretary of State.

Your accommodations will be paid for by the government of Myroria, as a matter of course. I can speak for Her Majesty the Sedera when I say that the government eagerly awaits your presence at our conference.

In sincerity,

Gregorio Veras
Kingdom of Añola

Mr. Veras,

It pleases us and vindicates us to see that the thoughts of Her Majesty the Sedera are not anomalous. We look forward to having an Añolan delegation at the Novrith Conference that we may discuss matters pertaining to the empowerment of those nations not among the Established Peoples, to use Her Majesty's words.

Your accommodation is, of course, paid for by the All-House Union. We eagerly anticipate working with your delegation, and wish you the best.

In sincerity,

Her Majesty's motorcade rolled slowly down Novrith's main drag. It was Myroria's largest city, with a young population and a working waterfront that recently had become the envy of the various aging port towns located up and down the coast. A smattering of people gathered alongside the roadway to watch the procession go by. Behind them young professionals made their way back to work from their lunch break while hipsters with beards and flannel shirts walked in and out of stores.

Fendrina put a cigarette in a holder five inches long and lit it. She hoped that it would keep wrinkles away from her lips, but she was nearing 46 now and those were becoming increasingly unavoidable.

"This place is going to be a mess when the Day of the Dead starts," she said. "The parade will be hell to anyone trying to drive through here."

"It won't bother you none," Llothren said. As Royal Chamberlain, he knew entirely well who would be getting orders to go out for a pack of cigarettes at two in the morning - himself. At first, being woken in the middle of the night so that he could call an underling to go get them was a chore, but it didn't bother him so much anymore. It was just part of the job. He was a man in his late 60s, and he knew better that if he ever retired he would die of boredom. He ran his hand through a mat of grey hair sitting atop his head.

"Do you have any paperwork for me?" she asked him. Chamberlain was a peculiar job that was part butler and part chief-of-staff. It contained all the work of a chief-of-staff and all the leisure time of a butler, which meant it was perfect for a workaholic like Llothren.

"I was going to wait until we got settled into the hotel," he said. "But if you insist - " he continued, reaching inside a briefcase. He pulled out a folder and leaned forward across the foot well of the limousine, putting it in her lap. "Reports from the Foreign Office on the attendees so far. Nothing out of the ordinary. No one came up with a red flag when we ran it by Section 4."

"Section 4 cleared them? That makes me feel better," she said, voice dripping with sarcasm. She flipped through the reports, skimming each, then placed it on the seat next to her. Llothren leaned back in his seat. He smirked but said nothing.

A man sitting to Her Majesty's right put his smartphone back in his jacket pocket and cleared his throat.

"Just heard from Papa Moomintroth - they're on our side regarding the Isles issue. Your veto won't be challenged on their end. Vrotrith is still in doubt though - a lot of them side with the Eluvataran independence lobby."

The Sedera and the Council of Great Houses, Myroria's legislature, have had a close relationship since time immemorial. One could not exist without the other, and they got along more often than not - even if the feuding nobles that made up the legislature wanted each other's heads. Fendrina had a particularly intimate relationship with Marsilamat Quarrovth, a second cousin and her eyes and ears on the Council. Idris Quarrovth, her uncle, was ostensibly the head of the queen's faction in the legislature but having a court favorite was mutually beneficial to both the Sedera and Marsilamat.

"I don't want this Eluvataran nonsense disrupting this Conference. This has been in the works since the Great War, and I won't have our plans against the imperialists derailed by some uppity Commonwealth residents who don't know the difference between a tree and a cell phone tower."

Marsilamat nodded.

"Which Great War was that again?" Llothren asked with a smirk. "There are so many; I get them mixed up."

Behind the Sedera's car was the Vazosi delegation. At significant expense, Nahata and Muldahar had insisted on bringing their own vehicle—the finest of Vazosi automobile engineering. Such a subtle way of asserting the superiority of the motherland was likely lost on these alinduloj, but nothing less would befit Lords of the Royal Council. Behind them was a smaller car, also Vazosi, for their aides. The car was a perfect place to speak High Vazosi with ease.

"Look at these people, Tol," Nahata sniffed. "these peasants haven't truly worked a day in their lives."

"It can't be helped, Ardo. The gods are not here to show them the true way." Muldahar was less senior on the council, but his fifty-one years of experience and previous term as Chancellor lent more wisdom than Nahata's thirty-five.

"These degenerates wouldn't accept the true way if Nematis himself were to strike down the Sedera." This remark was met by a swift jab from Muldahar's elbow.

"It is the will of His Majesty that we represent Vazos with all the dignity she should be accorded," Muldahar intoned coldly in perfect English. His efforts in losing his Vazosi accent were paying off. "You must behave more diplomatically."

Nahata knew better than to argue with an elder statesman. "Very well," he responded in High Vazosi. "We shall see what the High King's will shall be when we return."

To whom it may concern:

In light of the recent events suffered by Sadakoyama, we would like to take the opportunity afforded by this conference to assure our neighbors of faith that despite our lack thereof, and our our dedication to science and reason over belief, we as a people and a nation bear no ill will towards your people collectively and separately, nor do we wish to impose our view upon your people against their will.

It is our hope that improved communication between us may alleviate whatever hostility or misunderstanding that might exist, now or in the future.

The Norvalkin delegation, consisting of President Hacker and Ambassador Sanders, sat in the car behind the Vazosi delegation. The pair had graciously accepted a locally sourced method of transport, figuring bringing in a foreign transport for an occasion such as this might be seen as a snub, not to mention time-consuming at this point. If the Myrorian government wished to arrange transportation, who were they to argue? Norvalkin would play the gracious house-guest, so as to allow for a smooth and nonvolatile evening. Drive local, eat local, drink local; unless the lives of the Norvalkin delegates were threatened, they would acquiesce as often as possible. No reason to sour relations before they've even begun.

"Any news from home?" President Hacker inquired, checking his smartphone. "I feel like a father leaving his children alone for the first time." He tried not to worry about how his people would fare without him; everything was in good hands with his Vice President, Joshua Gibbs. The man was beyond capable of handling anything the world could throw at him, and wise beyond his years, and that, given the man's age, was saying something.

"No, nothing," came Sanders' reply, as his gaze broke from the passing Myrorian landscape to check his phone, and to tuck an errant forelock back into place. "The V.P. knows how important this is, so he'll likely only reach out if worse comes to worse while you're away. I.E. if the Serbalkians and Scandigradians go to war and try to drag us in with them. We don't want a repeat of your father..."

All President Hacker could do was nod, as the motorcade puttered along.

O.H.M.S
[img=200,300]http://wiki.taijitu.org/w/images/thumb/f/f2/Intelligensia_COA.svg/419px-Intelligensia_COA.svg.png[/img]

To: Her Majesty, Sedera of Myroria, Duchess of Pelagis, Lady Protector of the Eluvataran Isles, &c., &c., FENDRINA I QUARROVTH SED.
From: His Majesty, King-Regent of McMasterdonia, Count-Palatine of Intelligentsia, Defender of the Faith, Albert I of the House McMaster.

The Kingdom of McMasterdonia extends it's thanks to the Sedera of Myroria for her most gracious invitation to visit the city of Novrith to attend a conference hosted by your most honourable government to debate a number of important matters. Unfortunately, His Majesty, the King-Regent is unable to attend the conference personally. He is attending to matters of state following the death of the Queen-Regnant, Matilda II of McMasterdonia.

The Kingdom of McMasterdonia will send a delegation to the conference in Novrith, comprising of the Minister for Foreign Affairs & Trade Sophia Strauzenburg and a number of public service officials from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Minister Strauzenburg has been delegated the authority to negotiate on matters of foreign importance on behalf of the King. All negitioants entered into by the McMasterdonian delegation shall be done so in good faith, and all agreements reached by Minister Strauzenburg shall be appropriately ratified by the King-Regent at the earliest possible convenience.

The Kingdom wishes the Sedera of Myroria well, and hopes that the Novrith conference shall prove fruitful for all parties.

ROYAL PALACE, INTELLIGENTSIA

Your Majesty, Sedera Fendrina Quarrovth,

We have recieved notification of your conference and find it to be within our interests to attend. We would be most interested in sending a delegation representing the Empire of Funkadelia. Our nations have cooperated closely in the past, and I would be excited to continue our great relationship in the future.

As you know, Funkadelia is a nation that is extremely interested in peace and economic prosperity, and the aims of this conference seem to fall in line with that. We are excited to see the possibility of a new faction for peace crop up in the world.

In solidarity,
???? ???? ??? ????
Dagmäwi Minilik, N?gusä Nägäst Funk'delyaa
Emperor Menelik II, Emperor of Funkadelia

[img=250,250]http://wiki.taijitu.org/w/images/thumb/a/ab/Rykkovaa_coa.svg/553px-Rykkovaa_coa.svg.png[/img]​
Office of the Executive Council
Sandyrva

Your Majesty Fedrina I Quarrovth,

The other members of the Executive Council and I were elated to receive your invitation recent to the upcoming conference in Novrith. I empathize deeply with the challenges and burdens in transitioning from a policy of aloofness to one of engagement, as described in your correspondance. History's lessons have the Hemms that suspicion is often sooner rewarded than openness. That efforts to look beyond this old wisdom has been so quickly rewarded is both humbling and encouraging.

Regretably, I will be unable to attend in person, but I am confident that the Seven Baans' delegation will be warmly received in my place. I look forward to reviewing the fruits of our discussions afterwards.

Sincerely,
Almat Omakta Hraykon,
Baan of Daqten and Minister for Foreign Affairs

q0xsinW.png
Before Latin Doors, before War, before Caesar, nothing can be born of nothing.
This is the Latin Peace.

By order of His August Majesty, Caesar,
The Augustine Office issues the following Statement.

To the Honourable Majesty, Sedera of Myroria,

I, Caesar Felix Albinus Augustus, wish to accept your invitation to the Novrith Conference. We share your concerns of the great coalitions that dot our world, equipped to create and dismiss crises from nothing, and to nothing. Their control of our understanding of our world is total and insincere.

It is necessary that Imperium contributes to the forging of a new spirit of cooperation borne from our powerlessness, and not our power, in the face of nations fallen to the blind pursuit of self-servience. Presidents and Kings above people, and their Gods, cannot be allowed to continue to stand of their own volition in the farcical halls of the regional alliances you identify.

We intend to make our presence known at the conference at its beginning, and will stay until its end. If possible, an envoy from the Lictoral Service will be extending our accomodation in both directions, at our cost, such that my security needs can be properly met leading into, and a debriefing can be offered to local temporary workers following the Conference.

Official Message from His Majesty's Government of the Syrixian Empire:
mofa.png
His Majesty's Government
Official Message from the Syrixian Empire
His Majesty's Government wishes to inform Her Majesty, Sedera of Myroria, Duchess of Pelagis, Lady Protector of the Eluvataran Isles, &c., &c. of the All-House Union of Myroria that a delegation from the Syrixian Empire shall be sent to Novrith in order to partake in the conference. We feel that this conference means much more than it seems to mean on the surface. We thank the All-House Union immensely for calling it.

In the midst of a famine in Cronaal, civil war in McMasterdonia, and a worldwide economic recession, we believe this conference, above all else, symbolizes what humanity can do to preserve world peace so that a catastrophic war may never again be fought on the good soil of Eras. We want to get to know the West more and develop common human understanding, instead of witnessing a difference so profound the terms "the east" and "the west" were invented in the first place.

Attending this festival on behalf of the Syrixian Empire will be Prime Minister Rohit Kumar, Foreign Minister Akshay Khan; and His Majesty, Maharaja Rajesh III, Sovereign of the Empire. We hope to see other delegations there and we bid you eternal good health and we wish the grace of Shri Prajapati on Myroria and her people.

Inside a square metal stand in the foyer of the Novrith City Hall sat a placard, printed on glossed cardboard. In a serifed font read the following:

NOVRITH CONFERENCE, OCTOBER 12, 2015

The government of the All-House Union and the City of Novrith welcomes the attendees of the Novrith Conference:

Monarqía of Añola
Commonwealth of the Eluvataran Isles
Empire of Funkadelia
Seven Baan of Hemland
Imperium Augustum
Kingdom of McMasterdonia
Technological Republic of Norvalkin
Empire of Syrixia
Kingdom of Vazos

The City Council had been told weeks ago to vacate Novrith City Hall for the duration of the Conference. They grumbled and cursed, but were meeting this morning in the conference hall of a hotel downtown. Outside, from the City Hall all the way down to the bay, preparations were being made for the Day of the Dead celebrations. At dawn, as the sun cast a red-orange glow on the cement and glass of the city, people began to gather. By nine o'clock, the streets were packed.

The parade would not start until noontime but the Novrithi city-dwellers were already talking and dancing. Many held long streamers attached to the end of sticks the size of broom handles; others carried the banners of their Houses - familial artifacts blessed by generations of ancestral spirits and removed from sacred cases for only a handful of days a year.

Many who had lost loved ones this year wore masks - some cheap, some expensive. They all looked like crying faces, but Myrorian folk art traditions had enlarged the eyes, added wide rivulets of painted tears streaming from them. The simplest were made of plastic, held to the heads of celebrants with elastic. The most expensive had feathers, beads, glass jewels hanging from them.

Traffic was snarled for the day, but few people went into work. The Day of the Dead was one of the most sacred days of the year, simultaneously a celebration of those who had left, a memento mori, a time for gifts, and an autumn festival.

From her requisitioned office on the third floor of City Hall the Sedera observed the bustle below. To the southwest, across the harbor, the forested hills outside the city limits were a brilliant display of orange, red, and yellow. In the plaza in front of the building, the flags of the attendees flew from poles set up for the occasion. Policing was no easy matter - in addition to keeping the celebration secure, officers had to ensure the safety of the diplomats and heads-of-state attending the conference. Officers were brought in from as far away as Oramirith to the southeast to keep the peace.

The main meeting house on the first floor, where the diplomatic parties of the attendees would meet, was rewired for myriad translators, security personnel, and electronic devices. The desks normally reserved for members of the City Council were now relabeled with placards identifying name, country, and position. Clerks and attendants had already arrived and were finishing their own preparations, but the diplomats still had some time before the conference started.

"Fannie," someone behind the queen said. Fendrina turned away from the window slowly. Such familiar language meant that he had to have come alone. "You should get to the green room and prepare to open the conference;" Marsilamat continued. "Llothren and the Foreign Minister are already there, and you know how they would react if there was a delay."

"We have time," Fendrina replied. She reached for her cigarette holder and pack of First Strikes. "I haven't seen a limousine yet."

Marsilamat looked at her eyes, the whites streaked with red. "Did you sleep at all last night?"

The Sedera pulled a lighter out of the inside pocket of her tweed blazer.

"I will be there in my own time," she said. "Leave me." She turned back to the window to see the first cars arriving.

Chelsea Harel and Erik Jonasen had arrived in the city days before, and spent the first day at a tailor's, acquiring high quality but conservative suits in the local fashion. On the morning of the conference, they walked to City Hall, and on the way they absorbed the culture of the day's festivities, even arranging to have one of the nicer masks shipped to a cultural museum back home.

Arriving at the meeting, they smiled a little at being left off the placard. Chelsea approached one of the security officers and explained they were a delegation from Sadakoyama and asked to speak to one of the organizers, to inquire if they would be allowed to attend.

Mondros Seretrith, a deputy to Llothren the Royal Chamberlain, met the Sadokoyaman delegation already apologizing profusely.

"Of course you are allowed to attend," he said, voice inflected with polite apology. "Your absense from the placard was a terrible oversight on the part of the graphic designer. Please, right this way," he continued, holding an arm towards an empty room. "Some technicians can get you set up with the electronics."

As the delegation entered a prep room, Mondros turned to an aide.

"Whose mistake was that? Find whoever designed that placard and bring them to me!" he scolded. The aide jogged down the hall looking for people to ask.

It has been the custom of Vazosi kings to rise with the dawn, in order to participate in daily religious rituals. Although their hotel did not have a courtyard properly suited for the Greeting of the Gods, Nahata made do at Muldahar's insistence. Amid the gawking of the hotel staff (and the snickers of a particularly rude concierge), they made tribute to the Madrako pantheon, beginning with Harul, Lord of the Dawn, and ending with Najvir, Giver of Wisdom.

They made their way to the Conference immediately following. As they entered the meeting room, the two foreign kings quietly gave instructions to their aides and found their seats. Muldahar looked pensively at Nahata. "Remember, Ardo," he intoned quietly in High Vazosi. "Civility and dignity above all else. Najvir watches us today."

Nahata's eyes narrowed. "I tire of your lectures, Tol."

Muldahar exhaled deeply. "Very well. You know the cost of embarrassing Vazos."

The long flight from Norvalkin, and the night in a Myrorian hotel (even with all of its pomp and splendor) had chipped away some at President Hacker's normally calm, cool, and collected exterior. As the pair entered the venue and approached the check-in desk, Ambassador Sanders cast a brief glance to his young charge. "Are you alright?" He whispered, resting a hand on the man's shoulder. President Hacker nodded, gently. "Yeah, I'm alright. Just fix me up a shot of something strong, and I'll be right as rain."

After confirming their arrival with staff, the pair wandered into the reception area, and Hacker's gaze turned to one of the wandering waitstaff offering aperitifs. He motioned the staffer over and acquired a drink for himself, glancing briefly to his ambassador/bodyguard and receiving a head-shake in return. As the staffer returned to his rounds, Hacker raised the glass to his lips and took a sip. The pair began wandering the venue, sussing out who all had shown up, and who was still to arrive.

(Time for a proper use of this thing.)

Rohit Kumar, Abishek Bedi, and Akshay Khan walked into the building in Novrith where the conference was to take place. The city itself was a wonderful port, with beautiful architecture on the level of some of Jaipur's finest buildings. The three men were in utter awe at the city, especially Rohit, who knew that the All-House Union of Myroria was certainly a nation that was coming up there on the world stage.

The three men took a look around the building, and then entered the area where the other world leaders were meeting. They introduced themselves as Rohit Kumar, Prime Minister of Syrixia; Abishek Bedi, Deputy Prime Minister of Syrixia; and Akshay Khan, Foreign Minister of Syrixia. Not only, however, were they just introducing themselves; but they were reminding them of the next Syrixian delegate to arrive.

The Maharaja was supposed to arrive soon. And when he did, it was amazing. As it always was; of course. The Imperial fanfare had become a tradition, as old as the Empire itself. And the regality of it all certainly showed. They came in the dozens; 20 green-uniformed Syrixian men bearing gold leaf-emblazoned trumpets. They trumpeted loudly and gallantly, so everyone would hear. Their fanfare was as majestic as it was awe-inspiring, and it was sure to be a grand entrance. Nothing less for the Maharaja of a centuries-old empire!

"Jai Maharaja!" They yelled. "Jai Maharaja! Jai Maharaja! Jai Maharaja! Jai ho! Jai ho! Jai ho!" They then bowed as he exited his golden chariot, ferried in the cargo hold of the Syrixian Star executive jumbo jet. Maharaja Rajesh III himself was resplendent in the green silk and gold leaf robes of the Syrixian Emperors.

As the Maharaja entered the room where the Wake was occurring with his Imperial Guards, the three Syrixian officials bid his Majesty welcome. "Welcome to the Novrith Conference, Your Magnificence." Rohit said. Rajesh, never being one to talk, simply replied, "Thank you, my dear Mr. Kumar. I'm looking forward to this."

maharaja.png

The aging emperor, assisted by his rather plain cane, stepped up into the large jet that his royal entourage had used for the past fifteen years. As the turbines wound up, the Emperor, his foreign minister, and the members of his personal arm of the Imperial Guard settled into their seats to prepare for their journey to the rather distant land of Myroria.

While there had been, to that point, no tangible contact between Menelik and any Myrorian official, the air around the event, for the Funkadelians, was positive and hopeful. The state media had been championing the upcoming summit for weeks as a possibility of a coming age of peace with Funkadelia at its forefront, but to the pundits in the few remaining private media that meant essentially nothing.

--

After a long flight, the Emperor's plane landed on the tarmac in Novrith. Without much pomp and circumstance, the Emperor, dressed in his typical casual clothing, slowly stepped down each individual step to meet with Funkadelia's ambassador to Myroria. Together, the Emperor, the ambassador, the foreign minister, and members of the Imperial Guard shuffled into a long limousine to head towards a hotel just down the block from the Novrith City Hall.

1482350_orig.jpg

It was only a short flight from Intelligentsia to Novrith, and yet, Sophia Strauzenburg the Minister of Foreign Affairs was incredibly tired. She had been up all night watching the events of the Royal Caucus meeting with disbelief, and she was glad that the Princess Magdalena had not revealed her involvement in the plots to undermine the King's ability to govern. Perhaps she was not aware of them, for now at least, both she and Minister Whitwell were safe. The King had empowered her to sign this treaty in his name, and she fully intended to negotiate fiercely and to enact sound policy here that would not be undone by the King.

Sophia was transported in the standard government issue Mercedes Benz S-Class with two Range Rovers as her escort. Included in her entourage was the Secretary of her Department, Abbas Rhomeini, and a number of general staff. Her vehicle approached the hotel, and she was looking forward to a quick cup of tea before getting down to business.

One of the Vazosi aides approached Nahata and Muldahar and whispered to them in High Vazosi, "News from Lord Na?a: McMasterdonia has declared war upon Plembobria. Keep this in mind while at the conference." Muldahar nodded, not betraying any emotion, while Nahata smirked.

Barbosk Ovalmata Hraykon lovingly inspected his reflection in the mirror of the suite's vanity. The face looking back at him was a prototypically Hemmish ones, made to order for a Nationalist Party election poster. Beneath short-cut dirty-blond hair and a robust brow, a wide nose divided a pair of gray eyes with epicanthi. The chin and upper lip were hidden by dense beard which, in a compromise between the fashions of history and modernity, had been cut down to a roughly an inch and length. It was a face that Barbosk was deeply proud of and one which he credited with a great deal of political fortune, including his selection as Hemland's representative in Novrith.

His position as the favorite son of the foreign minister and a proficient command of English had also helped his case. Barbosk's father Almat had been too old to learn the language properly by the time its future demand became apparent, so instead he'd spent a small fortune on personal tutors and periods of study abroad for his son. Today the investment, alongside a lifetime of grooming for high office, promised to at last bear fruit.

Barbosk squinted and frowned. Amid the well-groomed thicket of his eyebrows one hair was noticeably out of place. He took a pair of tweezers from the vanity and in one fluid, practiced motion, gripped and tugged free the offending strand. He winced involuntarily at the pain but recomposed himself quickly at the sound of the voice from behind him.

"Your jacket, sir." Barbosk turned from the mirror to his valet Hagan. Black-haired and dressed in Hraykon livery, the man wore his typical expression of detached servitude. On his left arm hung the promised jacket. An impudent button had chosen to escape during the flight over and the fact had only been discovered this morning, necessitating an bit of crisis tailoring on Hagan's part.

"Ah, wonderful!" exclaimed Barbosk as his frown transformed into a toothy smile. "And just in time." He extended his arms and without needing instruction Hagan slipped the jacket onto him. A few buttons through buttonholes and tie adjustments later, Barbosk was once more admiring himself in the mirror. Hagan offered no comment, verbally or expression-wise. "Did you also get the pin?"

"Yes sir," replied Hagan. He produced a small, black box from his pocket and handed it over to the waiting Barbosk, who promptly opened it. Inside was a portrayal of a cornflower rendered in lapis lazuli and gold.

"Did something happen to the usual one?" asked Barbosk, who had been expecting three, intertwined spirals representing the three rivers which were his clan's namesake.

"No sir. I felt that today you are representing Our Nation as a whole, not just Daqten, so the symbolism would be more appropriate. I apologize if I erred." Hagan moved his expression just enough to suggest remorse without spoiling the air of indifference. Barbosk, however, chuckled and attached the pin to his lapel.

"Smart man, you're quite right. Your recommendation was no lie." The final self-review passed quickly. Narcissism was not quite enough to erase the limited time of their tight schedule from Barbosk's mind. "Is the car ready?"

"Yes sir, and Ambassador Laskr will be there to meet you at City Hall."

"Let's make some history then."

The large room the conference was to take place in was designed in every manner to present a feeling of equality; at the front of the room was a podium and arranged in a half-circle around it were a series of desks. The desks, sorted out in blocks to each nation's representative and their party, sat on tiers that rose progressively higher as one moved further away from the speaker's podium. They were sorted in alphabetical order, with Añola on the bottom level closest to the front, to the left of the room, and Vazos on the highest level to the right of the room.

At the bottom of the room, to the right of the podium was a door. Normally it led to private deliberation chambers for the Novrith City Council, but today it had been converted into a green room where the Sedera was being prepped for her opening statement. The Myrorian delegation had already taken their seats among the attendees; 10:00 AM was when Her Majesty was scheduled to enter and the assembled diplomats were starting to take their seats and prepare for the day's work.

From here on the first floor, Fendrina had a better view of the festivities. A parade was moving past City Hall, but the massed rowdy crowd was making it difficult to follow. She turned away from the window only to get a puff heavy with powder shoved in her face.

"Zees will set the foundation," said the Zemnayan-born attendant helping her with her makeup.

"Yes, thank you," Fendrina said, out of politeness pretending she didn't know how cosmetics worked.

A roar came from the crowd outside. She glanced out the window again to see Seaside Credit Union's float go by - it was the most popular every year, mainly because they threw coins off the sides towards the onlookers. The attendant stopped putting powder on the Sedera's face.

"Lean back in your chair."

Fendrina tilted her head back and allowed the woman to put drops into each of her reddened eyes.

"It is done."

Fendrina blinked a few times and stood. Technicians came and fiddled with the microphone attached to her lapel.

"10:03," one said. "There's nothing left for us to do here."

"Thank you," the queen replied. She tugged on the end of her blazer and adjusted her skirt. She walked forward towards the door, opened it, and walked towards the podium. There was no voice to announce her arrival or introduce her - only the soft closing of the door she came out from. The whispers in the room quieted as she entered and fell silent as she reached the podium and glanced at the speech sitting on it. She carefully straightened the paper and cleared her throat.

"Assembled representatives, diplomats, heads-of-state," she began. Her voice was high-pitched and her accent lilting, but with a slight rasp - the kind that only comes when you've been smoking since you were sixteen.

"I am Fendrina Quarrovth, the Sedera of Myroria and your host today. I ask you to forgive the lack of introduction; we all stand as equals here today and, to a Myrorian, ceremony for yourself on the Day of the Dead brings bad luck. I will dispense with the royal 'we's and the ermine and gold as well; I suppose I could say that I don't see its necessity here among such esteemed company."

The Sedera wore a tweed blazer, the color of dead leaves, over a white blouse. A pencil skirt matched her jacket, and on her feet she wore beige flats; the only ostentatious thing about her was a string of pearls hanging from her neck. Wire-framed reading glasses were perched on her nose.

"I know that forefront on all of our minds, more than this conference or the festivities happening outside is the death of innocents in McMasterdonia and Guslantis. Soldiers on the move from other countries will soon put themselves at risk as well; if you pray, then pray for their well-being. If you have pity, mourn the loss.

"Wars like these are why I invited the leaders of the world here to Novrith today. In McMasterdonia people are dying by the thousands at the hands of various state, rebel, and foreign forces. The North Pacific Treaty Organization and the Democratic Union did nothing as controversy spilled over into hatred and as hatred spilled over into violence. These organizations, designed to secure international peace and stability, allowed a government to collapse and a state to fail. As Intelligensia is torn apart by violence, now these organizations look to act. Now these alliances see fit to send military force in - is it because they see an opportunity to grasp for power in an ancient and wonderful civilization? This I do not know.

"Look at the coup in Guslantis. The headquarters of the North Pacific Treaty Organization have been under siege by a mustache-twirling villain and the organization designed to defend its own members does nothing. It relocates its command center to another nation and hems and haws.

"The Democratic Union and North Pacific Treaty Organization seem more willing to sit out crises unless their own members stand to benefit from it. Can those of us unaligned to either organization trust them to stand up for us if we have our own troubles, or will they swoop in to set up another puppet state? For that matter, can we trust Faibuaizu or Helmebaine to do so? Are these alliances truly forged with the goal of promoting world peace or are they forged with the goal of spreading imperialism and colonialism to foreign countries? What are the benefits for nations inside these alliances that are not a member of their leadership? Are there any? Would the non-aligned nations do better for themselves if they tie some of their resources together to aid each other and oppose this Eastern imperialism?

"These are questions this conference will seek to answer. To begin, though, I would like to address one in particular: consider the four major alliances upon Eras today: the Democratic Union, the North Pacific Treaty Organization, and the Helmebaine and Faibuaizu Alliances. Do the existence of these organizations and mutual defense pacts make the world feel safer in your opinion? Why or why not?"

Fendrina removed her reading glasses, put them in the breast pocket of her blazer, took her papers and walked to an open chair among the Myrorian delegation.

A moderator sitting at a desk behind the podium stood up.

"Who will answer first?"

"No. They do not."

A gasp filled the room as the Prime Minister stood up. "Both Faibuaizu and Helmebaine have become too inactive. Nations just aren't contributing like they used to. The same goes for the Democratic Union and the North Pacific Treaty Organization; except they have gotten too BIG to succeed." he said. "They continue to be lost in debate limbo every time something is brought up. We need to stop this. If, say, we abolished all four and created one, singular organization to which most nations on Eras were party to, and worked on creating international law, then we would have some real progress."

Chelsea stood, brushing her long brown hair behind her ear as she nodded first to the Sedera and then to the Syrixian delegation. "With all due respect, Mr. Kumar, We could not disagree more. Military alliances are flawed in their conception; insomuch as they obligate military action regardless of whether it is in the best interest of the people of the countries involved. This is especially true in the case of nations run by small groups of elites.

"You proposal to form a single international government is equally misguided; we are joined here today by representatives of many diverse nations, with different cultures, values, and systems of government. Which of these shall this 'singular organization' privilege over all these others? This is imperialism by diplomacy instead of the sword.

"We in Sadakoyama of course understand our civilization to be superior to any other, but that gives us no right to impose it on people who are not ready for it or have values our way would not serve.

"Peace must come from mutual respect, responsibility, and equitable conduct, not imposed by military force or contrived obligation."

"Er . . . Thank you." She said, nodding again to the Sedera before taking her seat.

Menelik stood, and all of the representatives in the room began to hook the black translator speakers to their ears. The elder Emperor began to speak in a sing-songy manner characteristic of Funkadelian speech, but his fluttering tone was obfuscated by the much less energetic drone of the translator into the ear piece.

"What we do not need at this time is another international group for the big power players in the world to manipulate for their own gains. Time and time again we have seen the North Pacific Treaty Organization justify itself in its demand of member nations to engage in warfare for little reason. We have seen the Democratic Union use the paltry excuse of 'expanding democracy' - even when it doesn't apply - to command the very different, separate, and sovereign nations to commit an act of aggression for little reason outside of the one member's interests. While we Funkadelians had faith that the Democratic Union would be a peacekeeping organization, we have instead seen it being used to assault nations as long as it has the blessing of a vocal majority. I repeat myself: The last thing we need is all of those corrupt organizations becoming one Eras-wide organization. We will have no part in that and I would be very disappointed if that was the way this assembly turned."

"Then what we need to do is find a way to prevent war as well as corruption." said Rohit calmly. He saw where the Sadakhans and Funkadelians came from, but he still wanted to prevent any future war.

Muldahar rose from his seat, addressing the assembly in English. "The hypocrisy of the Syrixian Prime Minister is indeed astounding—one cannot condemn these organizations while being among their most active and vocal members. We Vazosi concur with our neighbors in Funkadelia and Sadakoyama. The creation of a larger still international organization will only serve to impose the will of larger nations upon small nations and undermine the sovereignty of governments who place their people's welfare higher than international popularity."

Nahata joined him, speaking in quiet but firm High Vazosi. "The Kingdom of Vazos will not stand for further attempts to politically globalize Eras. We call upon the dignitaries in attendance at this conference to resist the slow march to neo-imperialism proposed by the Democratic Union and North Pacific Treaty Organization."

"I am not condemning the Democratic Union or the NPTO." Rohit said firmly. "All I am simply stating is that, even though, yes, Syrixia is an active and vocal member of both organizations, we remain concerned about these organizations' latest activities; or rather lack of activities; concerning the current political events. If things continue the way they are, we may as well consider them defunct. Though I think, with all due respect, Mr. Nahata, you're taking it a bit too far. Globalization to a certain extent is okay and actually quite beneficial; as long as we do not take it so far that nations lose their identities. Everything in moderation, Mr. Nahata. Absolutes on one end or the other cause problems either way. No globalization would mean Eras would not be connected at all; and too much would mean there would be no visible difference between nations other than borders. Moderate globalization is the best way to go. If an organization to create international law is too much for the nations of Eras, which does makes sense when considering many other points of view, at the very least we must find a way to create some sort of shared Erasian forum of sorts for political discussion among leaders."

Caesar leaned forward in his seat, the Lictor-Magister stepping up to help him rise off his aged knees. After a moment to recompose himself, he strode confidently towards the podium, the Lictor-Magister following closely by.

Reading glasses produced themselves from the Lictor-Magister's pocket, put at rest, unused, against the edge of the podium.

"For three thousand years, we who have remembered our roots have remembered the necessity of laws that can represent the people. My family, for centuries, have represented our people competently, and confidently. Uncountable Imperators have stood in the hallowed halls of our state institutions representing the lands that they were born in, and the lands that they have curated for the good of those who were born with them. As I serve my people, and the people of my descendents, so too do I inherit an Imperium cultivated by my ancestors for my people's ancestors.

Our wars are not the petty electoral coups of the nations claiming to be 'ruled by the people' - 'demo-cratic' - but existential ones. Our wars define not just Imperium, but our neighbours, and the honest representation of independent states through leaders born from the soil of their ancestors. Leaders proud to inherit nations greater than the ones they have seen, and proud to leave nations greater than the ones they received. Ours is not a system that sees politicians spew vitriol against their predecessors, and speaks doom of their successors.

A democratic nation will never be able to speak for Imperium's laws, by conquest or by the corrupted cooperation proposed by the hypocrites of Syrixia, as long as the Augustine Dynasty stands. I can assure you, it is forever-longer than any modern democracy can dream to.

What we need is not more globalization. What we need is cooperation that respects the legal and cultural independence of each constituent nation, to stand against those democratic nations that dare impose their way of life against us as an opaque bloc of oppression, repression, and economic depression. We - Imperium - need no Democratic Union, or NPTO, or Helmesbaine, or Faibuaizu, led by the Cerberus of Lara Kray, Rosemary Whent, and the esteemed delegate Rohit Kumar.

We need the strength of a dozen states standing as a dozen states - the power of One is for the state, and the state alone. Many states will make many agreements, many laws, and many stands against the treachery of democracy, hypocrisy, and globalization against their so-called 'citizens'."

The Maharaja stood. A conservative, he was proud to see others like him in the crowd. He only reluctantly had decided to return from Plembobria to Syrixia seeing what was in place. What he wanted was a strong central government under the House of Akbar, as it was in the days of old. As it was when the Empire was even more powerful than it was today. "Mr. Kumar, the Caesar is right." he said calmly. "The Syrixian Empire has a history of over 1,700 years. Who in the name of Shri Prajapati himself are we to try to put democracy and globalization upon others? If they do not want it, they should not receive it. Each nation has their own time-honored traditions that gives them an identity. We must respect that. As Maharaja, as Emperor, I intend to do so. Will you join me?"

"All due respect, your Magnificence, but this is not the 16th century." Rohit replied. "Times change. The human race; Eras itself is growing. It is becoming more interconnected. Proof of this is all over. The Internet. International travel. This conference itself; between multiple nations across the globe. With the advent of modern technology, humanity is able to branch out. Cultures meet cultures. A great cultural renaissance would be upon us if we embraced globalization; if we embraced the modern world, if we embraced the 21st century. It is time for us to stop looking back at the past. The past is over. Let us walk triumphantly into the future."

The Maharaja sighed. "And the best way to do that is to find advice from the past. History repeats itself, you know. In studying history and using it as a guide, we can understand the world better and make educated decisions, rather than relying on ideals. This is a matter of truth against ideals. Truth prevails. It's even in the longstanding motto of the Empire, 'Sahaba aura Satya.' Honor and Truth."

Nahata's face turned a vibrant crimson as he took his seat, quietly cursing at the Syrixian delegation. To refrain from using the proper title when addressing a Lord of the Royal Council was a grave insult, especially from an alindulo.

Muldahar placed his hand on his compatriot's shoulder. He had felt the insult as well. "Peace, my friend," he whispered to Nahata. "He does not know the weight your title carries." Nahata ignored his fellow Lord Councilor, continuing his silent venomous gaze at Rohit.

The delegation from Plembobria, ambassador Stacey North (she was certain the government would be criticized for not sending a higher-level official.) previously silent up to now, spoke, "Honorable delegates. I echo the statements of Caesar. Too often we see states foisting their ideologies upon other nations; trying to 'make the world a better place' or 'more free' without even consulting the people they purport to be 'liberating'.

The Majaharah is all tip and no iceberg. Allow him to continue running his mouth about 'time honored traditions', when he presided over nation that annexed sovereign Rhuvanland, claiming it was only 'protecting them.' Quite obviously this blatant violation of sovereignty led to war among factions. Or perhaps during the Great War when this Empire of his went on a romantic crusade against communism.

But all this discussion is pointless. Perhaps the Maharajah and his Prime Minister should excuse themselves and decide privately what their agenda is at this conference before they continue to embarrass themselves as international leaders.

The ideology professed by the Kingdom of Plembobria is a belief in basic human rights and dignity. We seek not to impose our model of government upon other nations. Plembobria made a transition to democracy only last year, at a time when we were socially ready for it. Not a minute sooner. For over two hundred years before then our absolute but benevolent monarchy protected and cared for the people. Now we have a system that represents the people. It is not perfect, and it continues to be refined, but it suits us. Exclusively.

It would be rash, feckless, foolhardy to impose it on another. Imagine if our exact system were immediately imposed on the All-House Union, the gracious hosts of this conference. It would lead to utter chaos! Myroria is not going to profit from having proven unsuccessful people who are frightened of their own shadow and won't get out of bed in the morning unless they've had a focus group report to tell them which side of bed to get out on running things. The people, rather, are represented through family connections, and properly cared for as a result. One should dare not cavil at the level of democracy or so-called 'freedom.'

Above all we believe in peace. Conflicts arise now and then. More often than not we urge nations to seek diplomatic solutions, and to be sensitive of cultural and religious customs.

The DU is a forum for like-minded nations to seek cooperation. It is not, nor was it ever intended to be, an exclusive institution to consolidate international power in a handful of nations who believe their system of government is best. In fact I say, if it has become that, it has failed. The NPTO rather, is not an alliance, but rather an institutional framework for international cooperation and negotiation, though it increasingly appears to be a chorus of squabbling. Its so-called "peacekeeping forces" sit around waiting to violate sovereignty.

The Helmabaine and Faibazu alliances, respectively led by Syrixia and Nebula, are nothing more than attempts by the fittingly-styled Empires to use supra-national bodies to indirectly increase their military power.

I hope, and His Majesty the King hopes, that this conference will be fruitful in finding a way for nations to come together to and find common ground, and put aside cultural and political differences for the purposes of actual peace. If my native country, as some may most definitely posit, seems too partisan, or too 'aligned' for this purpose, we will accept this, and review our own policies and actions in hopes of greater approval from the nations of the world who truly seek peace and well-being for their people, and not power and prestige for their leaders."

"I regret fully that I did not stop the previous Prime Minister while he ruthlessly sought to basically invade another country and force SAFF into a pathological anticommunist crusade." The Maharaja said. "However, I think it is because of this that if anything Syrixia knows the horrors of war quite well. Our soldiers saw the Smithworks explosion and they fought in the Rhuvish War. Ambassador, Syrixia's agenda here is the same as yours and is why we are all here. Lasting world peace. People are starving in Cronaal; there is a coup government in Guslantis; and McMasterdonia is mired in civil war, as well as a conflict within the royal family between the Queen Mother and the King-Regent."

Rohit spoke. "Different ideologies mean different perspectives and different solutions. We are here to discuss. Let us discuss."

The Delegation from McMasterdonia had sat quietly, listening to the arguments put forward by other representatives.

"I think what the Maharaja has just said is a clear example of the problem of what these international organizations have become. They are extremely reactionary - they do not seek proactive engagement with nations that are different than them. The classic response of invading first, asking questions later, or issuing demands or statements before a situation is fully understood. This has become the bedrock of what the Democratic Union and the NPTO is in modern Erastide. After the situation has concluded, the response is always to say well, I wouldn't have acted how I did then - had I known what I did now. This reactionary response ultimately has been used to the great harm of Western nations.

Just months ago, we saw the unprecedented assassination of our Head of State while under the protection of the Eumenorian Government. A senior member of the NPTO, the Democratic Union, and the Great North Pacific Trade agreement - and even more. The response of the powers of the East, was to simply defend, defend, defend, the actions of Eumenor. They refused to accept any guilt. After days of infighting in the Democratic Union - they finally agreed to allow us, to allow us to access our dead bodies for the funeral. The insult to the people of the McMasterdonian Kingdom was astounding. Still, we agreed to accept an investigation. An investigation that the Eumenorian Government deliberately bungled and restricted - a decision that received no criticism from Western Powers. Still Eumenor remains a senior member of all major organisations, while the Queen of McMasterdonia - murdered on Eumenorian shores, remains dead - with no justice gained for her murder or the involvement of Eumenor in that action.

Only weeks later, we saw the assassination of the King of Añola. Intelligence reports widely speculate that this attack was orchestrated by foreign powers of the west. Still. Those same powers who control the major organisations did nothing. They were silent while influential figures in the governments of western states were slaughtered.

I echo the words of other speakers - the representative from the Imperium Augustum, a close friend of mine, and a constant advocate for the protection and preservation of the culture of ancient nations like ours.

In the case of McMasterdonia - these criticisms of the international organizations are best viewed through the paradigm of the civil war. Before the war had even began, the Eastern states - ever hoping to increase their influence and power in the West, saw fit to immediately condemn actions taken by our Sovereign - the leader of our Kingdom, a government that has stood the test of time for more than 800 years. There was little investigative work - there was no cultural considerations given, it was all viewed with the intention of increasing the power of individual states over a Western state, simply attempting to address internal issues as it always had done.

I do not believe that the organizations have failed because of their charters, or because of their structures, I believe they have failed because of the actions of their members. Their members who openly advocate views that are clearly hypocritical compared to their past actions, and when this issue is raised, it is not taken seriously. The members who advocate for a strong support of an Eastern nation - irrespective of how it got itself to that point - compared to the complete indifference to the mass slaughter of the people of the Western nations.

The world is growing, it is a dynamic place, constantly connected through the development of new technologies and the emergence of the global economy. Recent events demonstrate this. These changes however should not mean that we be expected to abandon our roots, or that we be expected to blindly accept the cultural annihilation of our nations by the global organizations and the Western puppeteers who seek to weaken us.

The Kingdom of McMasterdonia is fully prepared to support the re-emergence of a new approach to tackling the imperialism of the Eastern States, their attempts at cultural annihilation, and their systematic involvement in the murder of Western Government officials, and their continued indifference to the slaughter of innocent western civilians."

The Myrorian delegation whispered among itself in their native tongue. Fendrina was broadly supportive of the position of McMasterdonia, and had been seeking a solution like theirs for some time, but Llothren, ever the moderate, urged a more centrist approach.

"We should not alienate those nations which may agree with the actions of the Easterners. We may desire their support in the future."

Llothren looked at Morvene Novrovth, the Foreign Minister. She shrugged.

"Any attempt to coordinate or collaborate with Easterners will result in them trying to exert their power over us. The All-House Union is not a large nation. It's not as rich as others either. I don't trust anyone from away trying to collaborate with us but at least the Westerners share our situation."

Fendrina rested her head on her chin.

"The August and Plembobrian delegations make good points as well. Any organization dedicated to the ideals of the non-Established Peoples must embrace and emphasize their diversity." Marsilamat said.

"We are already discussing forming an organization?" Llothren asked. "Dissatisfaction with the current system does not mean anyone would be willing to jump into anything. I knew this was your plan, Your Majesty, but - "

"You know she has the support of the entire executive," Morvene said.

"House Quarrovth would support anything she sends by them on the Council as well," Marsilamat said. "Moomintroth could be convinced. Vrotrith doesn't have the numbers to oppose us."

"Well, why did you invite me as counsel if you already had everything all planned out?" Llothren spit.

Fendrina stood and the delegation fell silent. She cleared her throat and began to speak to the wider conference

"These are all excellent points. It seems there is a broad consensus that the existing order has many issues. In the opinion of the delegates assembled here, would the smaller nations - the Nonestablished Peoples, the Global West - do better working together to the exclusion of the Established Peoples, the Global East?"

"No." Rohit opined. "What will end up happening is the west and the east will grow apart, and animosity will rise. What we need is cooperation between east and west. This, if anything, will help to create a lasting world peace."

Funkadelian Foreign Minister Arefani Theofeleios quickly replied, "Funkadelia has always fought for world peace, however we have seen the more wealthy, more powerful nations command their will over Eras at a whim, leaving the smaller nations in constant fear that they may turn their arbitrary eye to them."

Back