Novrith Conference

"it is my opinion that east and west are not purely geographical terms in this case. There are many states in the East that would meet my definition of western in this context. "Eastern" nations are those who claim cultural, economic, and military supremacy - which does not necessarily reflect reality. They involve themselves in every conflict without true consideration of the cost, without deep analysis, and without consultation. They annihilate the cultures of nations - see Cronaal - in the name of "peace". They bomb, pillage, and destroy, and they care little for the lives of those within nations who do not participate in the same time of imperialist behaviour.

It is my view that there can be no friendship between nations who behave in that manner, and the nations who do not. We should not accept their continued claims of cultural superiority and economic dominance - these claims simply do not reflect the reality. We should not accept their cultural imperialism, and their blatant disregard for the history and culture of nations. We should not accept their apologies that are given merely weeks after bombing runs over national capitals - killing thousands. Reactionary diplomacy, and then questioning, analysing, and discussing the issue after thousands are dead should not be tolerated as a means of establishing relationships.

If any of the things I have mentioned above are compatible with the notions of "peace" as advocated by the representative from Syrixia, then peace in Eras is paradoxical.

"It is the main policy of my government," said Rohit, "to fix the mistakes made by the old government. We bombed. We invaded. We pillaged. Now it is our duty to right our wrongs. We truly care for peace and for the lives of citizens in Western countries, not just Eastern ones. There are good eggs out there. And listen, that's why we're here. Because my government does not want to raid and pillage. Syrixia wants to end all the suffering in the world right now. Guslantis and McMasterdonia are mired in war; Cronaal is suffering a famine; and we're still in a recession. And as for the tradition side of it, to be honest, Syrixia has one itself. The Empire is over 1,700 years old. My government understands the magnitude of this tradition, and we feel that if we recognize our own traditions, it's only we fair we recognize those of others. And we do. I'll be frank. Syrixia apologizes, sincerely and deeply, for the actions of the previous government. But they are not in power any more. And it is our duty as human beings to help our fellow men and women. If that was not our goal, why would we be here? Let's stop bickering now and discuss how we can solve the world's problems."

I think your government is very idealist if they believe that this summit can eliminate all world suffering or even deliver peace. To be clear, I was not only referring to your nation in my previous commentary, there are many other nations who are just as equally guilty - if not more so, than the previous Syrixian Administration. I am prepared to concede that your administration, Prime Minister, has taken great steps so far to change the perception of the Syrixian Government. That said, it is early days yet, and we, the members of the Western Sphere of Eras nations may still have concerns about the imperialist east. The sense of superiority - and even the sense of entitlement to interfere in the matters of sovereign democratic states - such as McMasterdonia and even the Imperium Augustum, without any consideration or proper analysis is the reason we are here today.

I believe a western sphere of influence, one that prioritizes the historical culture of great nations and protects their sovereignty from eastern imperialism, aggression, and annihilation is something the Kingdom will be supporting. This summit should be about balancing the scales, not simply convincing ourself that a universal peace is possible without sacrifice. For too long the dialogue of the international sphere of Eras has been hijacked by would-be tyrant nations masquerading as superior democratic and capitalist states.

"A western sphere and an eastern sphere would cause yet more division." Rohit said. "We ought to have no spheres at all. The concepts of west and east must be abolished, and we must embrace both tolerance of culture as well as friendship of our peoples. Now, here's an example. It's a bit childish but it makes sense. Suppose there are aliens out there, watching us. They're going to think humans are dumb, because they see us killing each other instead of making societal and technological improvement. If we are to build a better Eras, the first step is that of the cessation of war."

Muldahar responded, this time in High Vazosi: "It is easy for Syrixia to preach of brotherhood between east and west and the breaking down of regional spheres when they are among those in the east that have propped up this division. Regardless of your change in government, the wrongdoings of your predecessors fall upon your shoulders, Mr. Kumar. As the McMasterdonian delegation has pointed out, little has yet been done to improve the attitudes of superiority that pervade the East. The time is not yet come to talk of mending relations when the West is still fending off invasions from the East."

(OOC: His name is Rohit Kumar. So Mr. Kumar.)

"Then," Rohit replied, "let us discuss. We're all here; it seems to be a fine time if any to discuss such."

Prime Minister, we are discussing the issue. That is why we are all here. I can't help but feel that you are constantly trying to force this discussion away from a subject that is uncomfortable for you. I disagree with what you have just said regarding spheres. We can stick our heads in the sand and pretend they do not exist - which I am sure the eastern imperialist states would love for us to do, but I certainly have no intention of doing that. We need to balance the scales.

"The best way to force the cessation of war", Morvene Novrovth, the Foreign Minister began, "is to ensure that no one would go to war lest they risk their own destruction."

She leaned forward in her seat. "Today, the Nonestablished Peoples, to use Her Majesty's terminology, are scattered and divided. The military alliances, united by culture and ideology, force their will on a disunited front. If the Nonestablished Peoples, embracing their own differences, put up a front against this aggression the aggression would cease. The alternative to it would be too terrible for the Established Peoples to imagine."

"What would that do? Create animosity between east and west. If you really want to make a pan-western organization, it must not be hostile towards the east. Unless you want a war, of course; for if such animosity presents itself it will consume both east and west."

This alliance will prevent war. It will balance the scales. Right now the world is too biased in favour of eastern hegemonic states who pursue a radical imperialist & capitalist agenda at all costs. This alliance, if it is successful, will guarantee peace through the doctrine of mutually assured destruction.

The Prime Minister looked openly shocked. "That is not true peace! That is twisted hate."

Apparently you believe in a world of flowery meadows, and rainbow skies, with rivers made of chocolate where the children laugh and dance and play with gumdrop smiles. This is the real world, there has been no true and perpetual peace as you have suggested there has. Moreso, there is no global hunger for such peace - those in the East certainly do not behave with the peaceful non-established people's in mind. I do not believe this conference should be beholden to your clearly idealist agenda - it is unthinkable to suggest that we could all come together in Novrith and solve the world's problems. Most of the aggressor states are not even at this conference. We in the Western World must do what we must, to protect our culture and our people. If that means creating a new organisation that truly protects those who do not embrace the hunger for power, and greed for territory as those in the East do.

We must stand against imperialism - cultural, corporate, and millitarily and any other manifestation of eastern sponsored violence and destruction. We must stand against all shades of imperialism that the east seeks to force upon us, all the while masquerading as beacons of democracy and the 'modern' world.

"This stereotype about the east does make sense, when thinking from a Western point of view." said Rohit. "Perhaps our goals are on the idealist side, but that is because there should be something to aspire for. Right now a resolution is going through the halls of the North Pacific Treaty Organization to abolish the Peacekeeping Forces and Peace Council, neither of which have done their designated job. This among other things shows that we in the east are trying to fix the stereotypes the west has about us. If the west believes the east to be evil and imperialist, this is certainly not an image my government wants to be part of. We would be glad to hear your suggestions and work to make the east a great place for both easterners and westerners. This stereotype shall end and we shall end it by changing ourselves."

It seems unthinkable for any Syrixian to see matters from where we have sat for years - centuries - even. While the East has squabbled over petty matters, the west has been consumed with much great issues - plagues, famines, suffering. Western lives don't matter to the imperialist states who pretend to be the great powers of this world.

We believe that the East cares only for themselves, one small conflict amongst them will revolt into global war and catastrophe at a moments notice. There is no time for analysis, research, or any thing deeper with matters between Eastern nations. They pursue radical democratic and capitalist agendas, often at the expense of cultures, they invade, pillage, and destroy, while hypocritically pretending to represent the best interests of all societies.

In doing so, they condemn and attack cultures, while luxuriating in the smug banality of their organisations and ducking for cover in all-out nonsensical warfare. We have said this multiple times at this conference Prime Minister.

I am not convinced that you have come here today for the reasons you suggest. It sounds as though you expect the Western States to simply lie down and accept that imperialism is par for the course in Eras, and that we may too suffer the same fate of nations like Cronaal - complete famine and poverty - or Rhuvanland - little more than a puppet state fought over like starving children and a piece of bread.

"Syrixia is here because my government cares. We used to be just one of those nations, but we have changed. Syrixia does not intend to do what you say we intend to do. We admire the resilience and adamance of the western nations; and we agree that the east has neglected the goings-on in the west. Syrixia wants to change the east. We want the east to care. We want all the world to care about each other, especially the east, like decent human beings. The West has that. The East needs that. If anything, we see the west as an example of the kind of friendship and toleration the East needs."

Minister Theofeleios rose to speak again. "It truly speaks volumes that the nation that has historically done so much to expand its own imperial state has decided to lecture everyone else on how to achieve and not achieve world peace."

The Emperor gave Theofeleios a sharp glare, but said nothing as he sat back down. He believed the minister to be right, but certainly disagreed with how he said it.

"No, please. I appreciate comments like these. Here's my answer." Rohit said. "That is why I am doing what I am doing. The Empire throughout history indeed has been doing what you have said. But I believe expansionism has no place in the modern world. My Government has a tremendous weight of the past on itself, but we intend to endure that burden to be with you here today."

This time, Erik Jonasen stood. "I believe the difficulty the Syrixian delegation is having is that he does not understand that his "ideal" is not shared by everyone. This is a problem with idealism itself, not a personal failing of the gentleman in question; and it is far too easy trap for anyone to fall into.

"He needs to understand that the 'peace' he suggests hinges upon the non-imperialist nations perpetually accepting an inherently unequal distribution of the world's resources, influence, and power; that the 'ideal' he proposes formalizes and legitimizes only the values of the eastern world at the expense of the diversity of values represented here.

"Your 'idealism', sir, amounts to peace on only your terms.

"True peace has to come from constant negotiation; as people change, nations change, and treaties must necessarily adapt to these. But negotiations are not equitable when on party holds all the power. If I read the room correctly, that's the goal here, to equalize the power in future negotiations. This is something we support, wholeheartedly.

"That said, I would take this opportunity to remind the McMasterdonian delegation that there is another global threat, condemning and attacking all other cultures, festering within its own borders that has yet to be addressed. There is a conversation to be had later on that point, surely."

"Then what we need to do instead of create animosity between west and east is build up the west to match the east financially and influentially, without eastern help." Rohit said. "This ensures that peace is defined not by mutually assured destruction, but by equality and prosperity." After Mr. Jonasen mentioned this 'other global threat', Rohit became interested. "If I may ask, Mr. Jonasen, what is this other threat? If it festers and attacks and condemns it should be a point of immediate discussion!"

"Indeed, and we do not ignore the threat that you mentioned. In fact, it is linked to what I said earlier. While the archbishop and his forces slaughter McMasterdonians the Eastern world has been largely silent. But the moment a coup happens in Guslantis they go into overdrive - or the moment blood is shed in Plembobria they suddenly feign interest in our conflict.

The Kingdom of McMasterdonia - now under the regency of the Queen Mother Amira is confidant that we can deliver effective governance that will see the defeat of the Archbishop and his eventual trial and execution.

My point to the Syrixian Delegation would be to say that the West does rival them financially and influentially, but we approach matters differently. We don't seek to bomb or conquer, and we do not seek to present one form of government as the best or only option. Finally we are not in the business of reactionary diplomacy that isn't based on facts or research.

The East simply does not care for us. They are more than happy to act as though they are the strongest economic success stories and write great propaganda that suggests their nations are the best in every category. This is factually untrue. Their imperialist actions however continue to pose a great threat to the independent and diverse cultures of the non-established peoples of the West.

mcmasterdonia:
The East simply does not care for us. They are more than happy to act as though they are the strongest economic success stories and write great propaganda that suggests their nations are the best in every category. This is factually untrue. Their imperialist actions however continue to pose a great threat to the independent and diverse cultures of the non-established peoples of the West.
"This is true." Rohit replied. "And I am ashamed that the East did not bat an eye while the Archbishop slaughtered thousands, and yet went on a crazy LSD trip of overexcitement and reaction when Guslantis was couped. This shows the problems we must face, and Syrixia, being an eastern state itself, is concerned about its fellow eastern states. Awareness must be raised for the goings-on in the west, and we must work towards equality, instead of eastern hegemony. And I know that may sound hypocritical coming from an easterner, but I'm saying it anyway, because that's what my Government believes."

"Your government is wrong, Kumar," Nahata replied coldly, "because your government's position is irrelevant. We of Vazos may be Easterners, but we have no history of trampling upon the nations of the West. You may seek atonement for your nation's past, but this is not the proper forum for it. Is the obvious fact that this conference was convened to consolidate power against Syrixia and nations like it so far beyond your grasp?"

Ambassador North, had up to this point, been quite entertained by the exchange between the McMasterdonian and Syrixian delegations. She now felt it was time for her to speak up.

"Well, representatives. I must say I am truly touched by Prime Minister Kumar's bleeding heart. Just now an aide of mine has informed me that they are now forming an alliance with the Empire of Nebula. Touching. Touching indeed. Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now moving into new era of brotherhood and peace." A few delegations chuckled.

"Two known aggressive powers have now agreed to defend each other militarily. Am I the only one who sees this as foolish diplomacy? The Syrixian Emperor and Prime Minister are here attending a conference on the prospect of creating a movement for non-aligned nations, while their minions are making deals with Nebula. But that is a small detail, isn't it?" Stacey paused for a moment with a facetious look on her face. She changed her tone to a more serious one, "Ambassadors, I agree with the notion that Western states need to take care of their own. They have been far too often oppressed and left to wither away by the East.

Plembobria has strong historical ties to the Kingdom of McMasterdonia. While we indeed pay no tribute to our erstwhile colonial overlords, they are revered by many at home as a bastion of culture, art, and philosophy.

When I was studying international relations at Midcastle College, one of my good friends there was from McMasterdonia. He lived a penurious life for five years so he could come abroad and study. He told me he wanted to work in Department of Foreign Affairs. He wanted to bring McMasterdonia back into a place of eminence; to contend with the Eastern powers of the world. He wanted to help make McMasterdonia great again.

I have lost track of him since then, but his passionate conversations about the state of affairs in the West left an indelible impression upon me.

Plembobria cares deeply for the west, because our history is so tied to them. We wouldn't have the nation we have today if it weren't for the powerful western influence on our thought and culture.

The King of Plembobria, with the help of the government, will always advocate for the West in the halls of Eastern diplomacy."

The Syrixians now had scowls on their faces. "We made a deal of alliance with Nebula to show how serious about peace we are." Rohit replied angrily. "Two former mortal enemies now committed to defending each other shows our commitment to world peace, not the exact opposite. Syrixia truly cares about the west, and if you refuse to recognize that then by all means go ahead. We are simply trying to help our fellow man. What in the name of Prajapati is laughable about that?!"

"Because your 'peace' is the peace of an abusive rapist, who, once he is on top of his unwilling victim insists it would be easier if they stopped struggling.

"The peace needed is for Syrixia to come to peace with the notion the Western world is not looking to it, or to us, or to any Eastern nation for leadership here."

"The Western world, then, needs to understand that just because we're easterners and we want to be involved does not mean we want to take charge. We just want to be involved, and to help. In no way does that include us being in charge of such an initiative."

What makes the East think that the West wants or requires the help of the East? This is part of the problem. The East assumes that we are in desperate need of help from them, when we do not require it. The West must handle matters on our own as much as possible, that is how it used to be done, and that is how things need to be done. We should address matters at a national level, and if the sovereign government believes it is necessary, at a regional level.

We see Eastern States throwing around offers of aid, infrastructure support, medicine, you name it, but never do they pay for it. They just loan the money, putting the world economy at greater risk, and then eventually they expect repayment from the Western State who made the mistake of accepting "help" from the established peoples.

"If that's what you're so worried about by all means any humanitarian assistance from Syrixia we will pay in full should you need it."

Abigail adjusted her reading glasses. She regretted not speaking earlier, but did want to let the Syrixians take the fall if that meant they would quit arguing for "peace" or whatnot.

"Let them go, Mr. Kumar, it is quite blatant that these individuals and their respective nations don't want your help. The world cannot form into a land of peace by the snap of one's finger, and you should know very well that nations must truly rise from the ashes of the earth, and become a jewel of the world. If this truly requires them to isolate themselves from the Eastern side of the world, so be it, that does not bother me.

Hell, I wanted to be as far away from the political shit of a so-called Great War that our quarter of the region endured, and if change must happen, I am a supporter all the way. I wanted to see an organization where summits like this could happen, where people like you, and the McMasterdonian delegate could sit down at the table and work out a solution to this seemly visible issue facing our world.

I wanted the Entente, and instead, I got the excuse that was the North Pacific Treaty Organization. The only translation between the two being peace, but the print being two different concepts entirely. We are instinctively elitist and overbearing, and for that, on behalf of the East, the government of my state dearly apologizes.

We, as Guslant people, a diverse population of compassionate citizens, do want to see an overall declaration of goodwill between nations, but when you have two sides so different, drawing it on paper, and putting it into action are separate issues entirely.

What Mr. Kumar said is true, I am leading the reform of NPTO. Why? Because of tired of seeing this elite coalition of no-good filthy liars devote themselves to peace, and then use peacekeepers to invade a territory below Syrixia that has no meaning on the international stage when they could, I don't know, worry about a damn crisis in McMasterdonia. If the hypocrisy is not real, I must be dreaming," Abigail said, quite boldly.

She had a lot to say, and it showed.

The Myrorian delegation continued to whisper among itself as the arguments continued. Morvene, the Foreign Minister, was getting flushed cheeks as if she had an urge to laugh and knew she couldn't.

"I believe the differences between certain parties here are... " She paused. "intractable."

"She's right," Marsilamat said. He rubbed his nose and nodded at Morvene. "We should show the treaty we've prepared to the relevant parties and get their agreement, lest the Easterners continue their grandstanding all day."

The Sedera looked at her wristwatch. It was nearing noontime now. She cleared her throat but said nothing.

"If we truly cannot resolve these differences," Llothren said, "we should deal with who we can and forget the rest." The rest of the group mumbled agreement and looked at the Sedera. She sniffed and cleared her throat again.

"Yes. You are right. We will call a recess and present what we have to the countries that would be most likely to agree to it... " she began, trailing off.

"The Imperium, Funkadelia, McMasterdonia, and Vazos." Morvene said in the manner a student might recite an answer to a test question.

"Plembobria as well," Fendrina said. Morvene scrunched her brow.

"They have several Eastern entanglements, Your Majesty."

"Yes," Fendrina said with a deep breath. "But their comments were refreshing. They spoke without the guile or forked tongue I had come to expect from the Established Peoples. If they were to become a founding member of our Pact, it could be a gesture of good will and trust. And I believe they have faith in our cause, even if they are not as zealous as some others who agree with our stance."

Morvene nodded, still skeptical. "Alright."

Fendrina nodded in turn and made a signal to the moderator, who swiftly called for a recess.

"There will be refreshments in the banquet room at the end of the hall!" he said as the queen reached for her handbag.

"I need a cigarette," Fendrina said.

Marsilamat, Morvene, and Llothren entered the banquet room one after another, papers in hand. Most of the members of the delegation were hanging around the hors d'oeuvre table, amply stocked with various dishes Myrorian and foreign in nature. The room as a whole was well-lit but stuffy, with wood paneling on the walls and bookshelves that seemed to be stocked on the basis of what would appear austere and refined.

Luckily for Marsilamat, his targets - the Funkadelian and Vazosian parties - were standing together away from everyone else, perhaps investigating the fact that literature was placed directly next to law books on the shelves with no regard for category. Striding towards them, he made his introductions and quickly segued into the treaty he was presently holding in his hands.

Llothren, seeing Marsilamat set off towards his objective, ran his hand through the mat of grey hair on his head and looked around the room. Standing by the hors d'oeuvres was the August delegation, mulling with itself. There were a concerning number of unconcerned people also standing close to them. Llothren thought for a moment, then decided to move in between the August party and their neighbors and make an introduction that way. He adjusted his tie, sighed, still unsure of the intentions of the Sedera's plan, and walked across the room.

Morvene was the last to go. She pushed her glasses up on her nose and quickly spotted the McMasterdonian party eating refreshments by a table set up across the room from the Funkadelian and Vazosian delegations. She strode across the room, put the treaty on the table, and began shaking the hands of the McMasterdonians.

Downstairs, the Sedera strolled through the well-secured courtyard. Normally she hated being forced outside for a smoke, but it was a beautiful fall day and the trees were awash with color; the last hurrah before the long, cold Myrorian winter. The cool breeze felt refreshing after being stuck in the stuffy City Hall with dozens of other people for hours.

By now the sounds of the Day of the Dead parade were fading. It would be over soon, and the drunkenness of the celebrating crowd would spill into the streets with full force. Across the yard, under the largest tree, she saw Stacey North - the Plembobrian representative - enjoying the day as well. Fendrina reached inside her purse for her pack of cigarettes again, keeping the rolled-up treaty in close reach.

"Ambassador North," she began through lips clamped around a cigarette holder. "Wonderful words today. Can I offer you a smoke?"

Treaty of Non-Aligned Peoples

Preamble
The Undersigned, reaffirming their commitment to world peace and cooperation; mindful, at the same time, of the global situation created by “collective security” organizations that envisage the continued domination of the Established Peoples over the Non-Aligned Peoples, with the participation of large, wealthy nations in wars of neocolonialism and conquest against less wealthy nations; concerned at the sudden shifts in loyalty and alliance by the Established Peoples both with each other and with the Non-Aligned Peoples; recalling the political deals struck between Established nations formed entirely on convenience; being persuaded that in these circumstances the Non-Aligned Peoples must take the necessary measures to safeguard their security and protect true international peace; being desirous of further promoting and developing friendship, cooperation and mutual assistance in accordance with the principles of respect for the independence and sovereignty of states and of noninterference in their internal affairs, have decided to conclude the present Novrith Treaty of Non-Aligned Peoples and create the organization known as the Novrith Pact and for that purpose have appointed as their plenipotentiaries:

[REPRESENTATIVES NAMES]

who, having presented their full powers found in good and due form, have agreed as follows:

Article 1

1. The Undersigned vow to refrain in their international relations from the unjustified use of aggressive military force, and to settle their disputes peacefully and in such a manner that will not jeopardize global security.

Article 2

1. The Undersigned declare their readiness to participate in a spirit of sincere cooperation in all international actions and will fully devote their energies to the attainment of this end.
2. The Undersigned will consult with one another on all important international issues affecting their common interests.
3. They shall immediately consult with one another whenever, in the opinion of any one of them, a threat of armed attack on one or more members of the Novrith Pact has arisen, in order to ensure joint defense and the maintenance of peace and security.

Article 3

1. In the event of armed attack upon one or more members of the Novrith Pact by any state or group of states, each member of the Organization will exercise its right to individual or collective self-defense and shall immediately, either individually or in agreement with other members of the Organization, come to the assistance of the state or states attacked with all such means it deems necessary, including armed force. The members of the Organization shall immediately consult concerning the necessary measures to be taken by them jointly in order to restore and maintain peace and security.

Article 4

1. For the purpose of the governance of the Novrith Pact, the members shall establish a Guiding Committee, in which each of the members of the Organization shall be represented by a member of its Government or by another specifically appointed representative.
2. The title of Secretariat of the Guiding Committee shall be rotated among the Members’ representatives every two months.
3. The Guiding Committee may declare when an attack on a Member constitutes an attack on the Organization in accordance with Article 3.
4. The Guiding Committee may set up auxiliary bodies of the Organization as may prove necessary.

Article 5

1. The Undersigned undertake not to participate in any coalitions or alliances and not to conclude any agreements whose objects conflict with the objects of this Treaty or the established Organization.
2. The Undersigned declare that their commitments under existing international treaties do not conflict with the provisions of the present Treaty or the established Organization.

Article 6

1. The Undersigned declare that they will act in a spirit of friendship and cooperation with one another and will adhere to the principles of respect for the independence and sovereignty of others, opposition to imperialism from the Established Peoples, and non-interference in the internal affairs of others. The Undersigned declare that no military action will be taken amongst themselves.

Article 7

1. The present Treaty and the Organization it establishes is open to the accession of other states, irrespective of their social and political systems, which express their readiness to participate in the present Treaty and Organization and their dedication to safeguarding the peace and security of the member states.
2. Nations may accede via an application submitted to the Guiding Committee. The Secretariat of the Organization may accept applications unless a duly appointed representative objects to the applicant’s accession, after which a majority vote must be held on their acceptance. Denials from the Secretariat may likewise be overturned by a majority vote of the representatives.

Article 8

1. Nations may resign from this Treaty and the Organization it establishes by submitting their resignation to the Secretariat of the Organization.
2. If a nation has acted in violation of any stipulation of this Treaty, it may be expelled following a two-thirds majority vote by the member states.

Done in Novrith on October 12, 2015, in one copy each in the English, Funkadelian, McMasterdonian, Myrorian, New Latin, Plebobrian, and Vazosian languages, all texts being equally authentic. Certified copies of the present Treaty shall be sent by the Government of the All-House Union of Myroria to all the Parties to the Treaty and the members of the Organization it establishes.

In witness whereof the plenipotentiaries have signed the present Treaty and affixed their seals:

[SIGNATURES]

Nahata and Muldahar each looked over the treaty, then glanced at one another. "His Majesty did authorize us to sign treaties," Muldahar murmured in High Vazosi. "It would be a shame to pass up an opportunity like this."

"It would be controversial among the Royal Council," Nahata replied. "Mapura and Vadhi? especially."

"Hang the Council, Ardo. This is what we came here to do!" Muldahar looked over his glasses at his younger companion. "Mapura and Vadhi? are stuck in the past. They don't see the High King's vision of what Vazos can yet be. This is the best choice."

After a poignant pause, Nahata nodded. "You're right." He then turned to Marsilamat and addressed him in English. "It is our privilege to sign this treaty, sinjoro."

Minister Strauzenburg and her aides had already read the treaty in some detail, providing feedback to the Myrorian Delegation for editing. The final copy was most agreeable to the Delegation. Despite the succession issues in McMasterdonia at the moment, Strauzenburg had the legal authority to sign this treaty on behalf of the regent. She only hoped that the internal issues of McMasterdonia would be resolved as soon as possible, so that she may safely return to McMasterdonia herself.

"On behalf of the Queen Regent, Amira of the House McMaster, Regent of the Kingdom of McMasterdonia, Countess-Palatine of Intelligentsia, Commander of the McMasterdonian Armed Forces, Defender of the Faith, I, Sophia Strauzenburg do ratify this treaty. I hope that it shall bring balance to international politics as we have intended for it to do"

Chelsea and Erik stepped into the courtyard a few minutes after the Sedera. Erik said he found the cool air bracing, but Chelsea shivered a little, and lamented again she did not purchase the overcoat the tailor offered.

"It sounds like we've missed most of the festival, that's too bad. I'd like to come back next year," she said. "My brother is a cultural anthropologist, maybe he'll come with me."

"I sent some photos to a friend up in Blackwell, I think he'll appreciate the craftsmanship we saw on display. The artistry on some of those masks was exquisite. And that street band was pretty impressive, too."

"It was; I would have liked to have danced but I had no idea if it was appropriate or not. We should really send a team to do an in-depth formal study of the customs here."

"I think you would have been all right, it didn't seem to be a terribly formal occasion; there was a parade float throwing money, after all. Even their Sedera is dressed informally, compared to some of the royalists."

He nodded in the direction of the tree where their host was speaking to the Plembobrian woman.

Chelsea frowned. "It looks like they are discussing a treaty after all; I owe you a tape. I thought the Syrixians would have poisoned the idea with their enthusiasm earlier."

"On the contrary; I think their insistence, well intentioned as it was, made a treaty between the others inevitable. It's not really their fault; a culture that old is so stagnated and hide-bound even in the midst of 'change' they are blind to the deep seated foundational assumptions they continue to hold."

"Hmm." Chelsea murmured thoughtfully. "Are you ready to go back inside? I'm getting frost bite on my nose."

"Sure. Let's see if we can't scare up some tea."

She had some other ideas for warming up, many of which involved a fit young desk clerk at their hotel, but she said "Yeah, tea sounds great," and followed Erik back inside.

"Yes, your Majesty. Fresh out," responded the ambassador. She started to curtsy, and the stopped as if she thought half way through that it wasn't quite proper to show deference to a foreign monarch. But perhaps it was. At this point she noticed she was bobbing up and down. She took the cigarette she was offered. "Thank you, your Majesty," she said, recovering from the awkward moment.

As she lit she reached over to allow the Sedera to light the cigarette, she noticed that the queen was also holding out a rolled document. Parchment.

The ambassador was little surprised. She was had been vetted for the precise purpose of convincing the rather cynical Western leaders of Plembobria's sincerity, but she had expected to fail.

She took the treaty from the hands of the Sedera. Forgetting that she intended to smoke, she stared at the rolled-up treaty. "Your Majesty. I am pleased that you have listened to what I had to say. But I must ask. Didn't you have any reservations about our Eastern relations?"

Arefani Theofeleios and Funkadelia's ambassador to Myroria, Zemichael Adamachew, conferenced together and with the Vazos delegation in the absence of the Emperor, who had gone for a pipe break.

Marsilimat approached them and quickly introduced himself and presented the treaty to both delegations. He outlined the treaty and handed them a copy, and left them to themselves to mull it over.

Despite knowing no one else was nearby, both ministers looked over their shoulders before speaking in the fluttery Funkadelian tongue.
"Hmmmm, this looks very promising, you know," Adamachew dribbled out of his mouth before pulling his glasses out of his shirt pocket to get a better look at the text.

"Zemichael, you know full well that Funkadelia has not agreed to a treaty like this in centuries, other than that abortive stint in the 'Democratic' Union." Theofeleios made sure to accentuate the quotes around "democratic" with his hands.

"Were you in the same conference room as me? The Myrorians are for real. They understand our tradition of neutrality, and for the most part they seem to agree with us. There were some other people in that room who also said the same things as us. You know this is one of the most important subjects for the Emperor!"

"I suppose you have a point," Theofeleios admitted. "We will have to wait until the Emperor returns, but I realize what you are saying. Perhaps he will approve of the terms."

"Sir, allow me."

The Lictor-Magister was as attentive as ever. For a man as important as Caesar, the trials and tribulations of a full-time job could follow him across the world, at any time of day. Even now, in the middle of a crowd around refreshments, it was the Lictor-Magister's responsibility to control a crowd and make Caesar available. He took up a plate of hors d'oueveres, and took it upon himself to take the fancy of the crowd around him, working the crowd with some vapid comments on clothing, and the parade just outside.

"Hors d'oueveres, ma'am? Courtesy of the Myrorian state."

It was, perhaps, somewhat odd to see a fellow delegate serving you hand and foot. Even stranger that it was not the host's delegate. But, then again, the Lictor-Magister was a mere bodyguard. At any rate, it certainly made for a competent distraction. The Lictor-Magister had already tipped Caesar off - once he started acting odd, there was business to be done, without exception.

Generally speaking, the Lictor-Magister was a laughably predictable man.

It took a few moments for Caesar to scan the room, noting the ever-familiar gait of a document-laden politico steadily approach, and make his acquaintance from the opposite side. Rather risky, without the Lictor-Magister at his side. Then again, he was the one who had the risk management training. No doubt he had already assessed Llothren at a distance.

Caesar was not quite possessed of the same reservations as many of the other delegations. Signing law into power was what he did to pass the time. He leant against the table, turning his face casually towards the Lictor-Magister as he read.

"1 is...agreeable. 2 is fine, 3 is agreeable, 4 is...agreeable, 5 is fine, 6 is fine, 7 is fine, 8 is fine.

As Caesar Augustus, I sign and ratify this document with the force of my Imperium."

As if on cue, the Lictor-Magister returned an empty plate to the table, taking Caesar's pen without a word and countersigning as a witness.

Fendrina took a drag off her cigarette. It took a moment for the smoke to pass down her black-and-white cigarette holder, then another moment to exit the side of her mouth.

"I did, yes." she began in reply to Stacey. "Your words, though, were heartfelt and honest. I respect that very much, and it went a long way in - " she paused. "dispelling some of the doubts I had. Despite some of my own stronger rhetoric, I don't doubt that the East at times truly wants to make things better. You seem to strike a middle ground - wanting to bridge our differences while acknowledging the, ah,"

Fendrina took another drag.

"shortcomings of Eastern foreign policy recently."

Stacey thought for a while. She tried to hide a smile. "Well Your Majesty. I am honored. I was authorized by the King to sign. However, ratification is its own set of troubles. But I believe it will be approved. I hope to return to you quickly with good news." She took another smoke. And another.

She got out a pen, and signed the treaty. The ambassador felt a small rush of pride. She had done this. The foreign service would have a new hero. Forget that "wonderboy" Alec Durand.

As she tapped the rest of the ashes off of her cigarette. She turned again to the Sedera. "Well Your Majesty, I think it's proper we went back in, don't you think?"

Back