The Grammar Thread

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
A historic day?

Aaaaaargh. the bad grammar hurts my eyeballs. I must edit the topic title.

My gift to you is a grammar lesson: Words like "Historic" take "an" as the indefinite article, not "A."

It is because the article changes according to the sound, not the actual letter. Usually, AEIOU are vowel sounds and the rest are consonants. But not always.

flemingovia:
It is because the article changes according to the sound, not the actual letter. Usually, AEIOU are vowel sounds and the rest are consonants. But not always.
Right, and that's why it's "a history", like "a hieroglyph", because history begins with a consonant sound, and not a vowel. :P

flemingovia:
I've got a bit of a problem here. I live in Suffolk, and people seem to ignore 100% of the h's round here. Should I use "an" everytime I'm about to find an h or should I move to another place in order to learn English?

I'm thinking that's the root of it, "An 'istoric Day" sounds correct, but "A Historic Day" sounds correct as well.

Back