C&E BRAINSTORMING THREAD

I'd be interested in starting up some sort of activity around codes. I don't know what we could do but I'm finding the codes given to us by Wintreath to be quite fun.

We could have a deciphering competition across all of NationStates. There is one region, one that will be setup. That region will be password locked, and will contain just one nation. That nation will present a series of codes, the answer of that code being the password into the region. Let's see how many nations we can have in the region, so we can find the decoding badasses amongst us.

Every 5th or 10th nation, a new code will be released and the password to the region changed, so answer sharing doesn't happen. The region would be pretty much immune to raiding since WA Delegate powers would be restricted in the region. The Founder would have full control. We could come up with a badass name for the region, like: "Project Codebreaker" or something.

A promotion campaign for the region would be created, discussion threads would be formed and decoding experts would be found. I suggest that the Founder should have a list of codes, available to share out when the old ones are cracked. The difficulty of the codes would increase in relativity to the number of nations in the region. I don't think codes should be taken from the internet since they'd be pretty easy to find and crack from there. I also suggest that riddles and puzzles be included in the list of regional activities.

The region could be identified as a work in progress by TNP for now until we can get things set up. Post your opinions on the idea below.

I like that idea hugely, Kasch. Are you ok to run it? For obvious reasons I couldn't do anything gameside for it.

I love that idea.

My one concern is that changing the password every 5 or 10 nations might be difficult depending on the response we get. It could be quite frustrating to be solving a code only for it to be switched. We could have the password change but keep the process to solve the problem the same or maybe raise the number. Or we could even do something like change the password every hour.

Another idea that I think would be cool to add would be to have all of the passwords spell out a message. Perhaps to another region with another password. Then we can see who is really good at decoding.

Thank you all for the support!

I am happy to run it, as long as I have someone like Praetor to help me out with the codes and riddles. I know I may have said that we shouldn't get the riddles and stuff off of the internet, but thinking of new codes and riddles would be incredibly tedious and time-consuming. Therefore, I suggest that we take some of our codes from the internet, and maybe change them around slightly. We should probably have regular updates (maybe every few days or a week) announcing the nations who have made it into the region.

Now, I must admit, I am not a very good riddler, so that is why I need some extra helpers around for it. Let's consider this a joint project between the Ministry of Gameside Affairs and the Ministry of Culture and Entertainment. I think this would bring a lot of nations together, and form bonds we haven't really seen on the game before. And Praetor, I agree with your suggestion. After the first five nations have successfully entered the region, we will check them to see if they are safe and not malicious. Then we will give regular shoutouts to those who crack the code afterwards and send us the answer privately.

One thing we must discuss before we start properly working on the idea is what the nations are going to do once they get into the region. It may be fun trying to get INTO the region, but what is there to do for them once they've made it? Perhaps we could hold regular code cracking competitions and activities, where we could organise some deciphering battles and riddle quizzes. I strongly advise that we set up a solid and logical plan before making any moves. We would have to have everything ready before launching a project like this. Post your own takes on this idea below.

Kasch:
Thank you all for the support!

I am happy to run it, as long as I have someone like Praetor to help me out with the codes and riddles. I know I may have said that we shouldn't get the riddles and stuff off of the internet, but thinking of new codes and riddles would be incredibly tedious and time-consuming. Therefore, I suggest that we take some of our codes from the internet, and maybe change them around slightly. We should probably have regular updates (maybe every few days or a week) announcing the nations who have made it into the region.

Now, I must admit, I am not a very good riddler, so that is why I need some extra helpers around for it. Let's consider this a joint project between the Ministry of Gameside Affairs and the Ministry of Culture and Entertainment. I think this would bring a lot of nations together, and form bonds we haven't really seen on the game before. And Praetor, I agree with your suggestion. After the first five nations have successfully entered the region, we will check them to see if they are safe and not malicious. Then we will give regular shoutouts to those who crack the code afterwards and send us the answer privately.

One thing we must discuss before we start properly working on the idea is what the nations are going to do once they get into the region. It may be fun trying to get INTO the region, but what is there to do for them once they've made it? Perhaps we could hold regular code cracking competitions and activities, where we could organise some deciphering battles and riddle quizzes. I strongly advise that we set up a solid and logical plan before making any moves. We would have to have everything ready before launching a project like this. Post your own takes on this idea below.
I would be glad to help out. Personally, I don't think that thinking of new codes and riddles would be particularly difficult.

Are you thinking of this being more of a long term or short term event? I feel that it may be best to run for a week. I doubt most nations are going to send their main nation over; I know that if it was me I would create a similarly named puppet to send over.

Personally I like the idea of having a whole bunch of codes that when combined form another code forming a secret message leading to something else. We can challenge those still in the region to solve the other codes.

Any other thoughts on that?

Sounds good.

We could definitely have some sort of code string. I could see that going pretty well. I would like to see something like this last for quite a while. I don't want it to last for a week and then completely forget about it, maybe the region could be created simply to present the code string for people to try out.

Maybe... Each time a code is cracked, the nation that cracked it would get one step closer to finding the password. So the first code would be a warm up round, then the answer of that code would lead to another code, and so on. The final code would be the hardest, and the answer to it would eventually lead to the password. Password sharing could be a serious issue, though. We cannot trust that everyone who joins will not share the password to their region mates or others.

My only concern would be using the code region for other activities... I think it's important that we don't draw focus from TNP as a region. It's one thing to create a region to facilitate a game that nations could move puppets into, but I wouldn't expand it beyond that, like create a forum for the code region or anything. I would make sure that it's obvious and well-advertised that it is part of a game/project that is run from and by TNP, and that the majority of the communication regarding the game and the activities in the code region stay based in this forum.

That being said, this is a fantastic idea, and a great activity to build not just our community relations, but stronger diplomatic relations as well.

Thank you, Indie!

I agree with what you have said, and I understand that drawing attention away from TNP is not a very good path to go down. So I suggest that the project is given a temporary timeframe to work within. So maybe we could run the project for a few months or weeks? Every few days we would release a different code, and then the first few people to crack it would be awarded with a nice little badge or something. Eventually, we'd have a whole group of people from all over NationStates trying to decipher codes. It would be great to see teamwork come into play. I believe that a project like this would bring many different communities together, therefore putting The North Pacific in a greater light.

Back