The Speaker's Desk

spk_seal.png

July 17, 2017​
I am happy to appoint Ornge as my first Deputy Speaker. Ornge has had previous experience working as a Deputy Speaker under Pallaith when we got the chance to work together, so I am confident that Ornge will be able to do a great job in restoring the Office to something it once was.

Further appointments will be made later this week.

spk_seal.png

July 19, 2017​
I am happy to appoint Abbey as my second Deputy Speaker. As many of you already know, Abbey ran against me during the last election and I feel that she can offer the Office a lot and so I am excited to get to work with her.

With that, there is one space left for a new Deputy Speaker and I am opening it up to any citizen. For those that are interested, PM me on here or DM me on discord telling me why you want to be one of my Deputies and what you can bring to the Office.

Good luck to all that choose to apply.

spk_seal.png

July 21, 2017​
I am happy to announce Crushing Our Enemies as my third Deputy Speaker. COE has past experience in the Office and I cannot wait to get to work with him.

On another note, I will be going on holiday from July 23rd to July 30th so I will not be as active on the forum but will still be around, however I am confident that my Deputies will be able to keep the Office going whilst I am gone.

-Owenstacey

We are the legislature. We make the laws, elect government officials, and check the power of the other branches of government.

Here's the article of the constitution that deals with the RA:
TNP Constitution:
Article 2. The Regional Assembly

1. Resident means any person with a nation in the region of The North Pacific.
2. The Regional Assembly will consist of all citizens.
3. Requirements for citizenship will be determined by law.
4. The Regional Assembly may enact, amend or repeal laws by a majority vote.
5. The Regional Assembly may remove a government official from office by a two-thirds majority vote.
6. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any vote of the Regional Assembly except elections will be determined by law.
7. The Regional Assembly will elect a Speaker every four months by a majority vote.
8. The Speaker will administer the rules of the Regional Assembly. Where no rules exist, the Speaker may use their discretion.
9. Abstentions cast in the Regional Assembly will not be used to determine the result of any vote, but may be used for quorum and all other purposes.
10. The Speaker may appoint deputies to assist them in the execution of any of their powers and duties. Appointment of deputies may be regulated by law and the rules of the Regional Assembly.

spk_seal.png

August 22, 2017​

Sadly, due to inactivity, I have had no choice but to remove Ornge as a Deputy Speaker. However, I am delighted to appoint abc as my new Deputy Speaker.

Thank you Mr. Speaker for this opportunity, I will do the best that I can in this position and know it will be a position that I can handle myself well in.

Altmoras:
Don't ask me how I found this, but I don't think this old feller has been a resident for a while. Given that his main is CTE and a ctrl-f in our spreadsheet shows nothing.

http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/profile/198691/
Did some digging, in case it was a Resident that went through the admins instead of the Speaker (a common occurrence). While I don't see him applying for Citizenship or Residency ever, I do see him applying for the RA in the old application thread, before RA Membership and Citizenship was merged. His associated nation (which wasn't on his profile, but I found it in the RA application thread), A brutal old man, has long CTE'd, so I'll go ahead and make him a Member again.

spk_seal.png

September 12th, 2017​
Before I start, I would like to thank everyone that voted for me in the General Election and congratulate Pallaith, Siwale and Darcania for winning their respective elections.

In terms of my Deputy Speaker's there will be quite a few changes from the composition last term. As many of you already know, last term I had three Deputy Speakers, being Abbey, abc and Crushing our Enemies. abc has, as many already know, left the post to become the Minister of Home Affairs, to which I wish him the best of luck. Due to other commitments, Abbey and I have agreed for her to stand down as she will not be able to be 100% active during the term. I am reappointing Crushing our Enemies. He has been a huge help to me over the last term and I am sure he is going to continue to be a valuable part of the team.

So with this I have two new appointments. The first will be Sanctaria. Sanctaria has been enthusiastic about the Legislative branch of the North Pacifc and I can't wait to start working with them. My second appointment is Zeek. Zeek is quite a new citizen to the North Pacific but has shown that they are interested in the Regional Assembly and I can't wait to help develop them during the upcoming term.

Thank you Mr. Speaker for entrusting me to this position, even though I haven't been a citizen of this region for a month. I will do my absolute best to uphold the dignity that this position requires and am ready to learn what it takes to help run of the best regional assemblies of the GCR's.

hi, what happens if a want to make a new law or a new code based on the current legal code and constitution, or if i want to expand a chapter?? or if i want to make for example an election law or basic rights law? can i do it??

Sergio86:
hi, what happens if a want to make a new law or a new code based on the current legal code and constitution, or if i want to expand a chapter?? or if i want to make for example an election law or basic rights law? can i do it??
Well yes you can, any citizen that thinks they have an improvement to make to any of the laws in The North Pacific, go ahead we would welcome it. Have a look that the post linked below, it says a bit more about how to write the bill and what to do.

http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7092407/1/

Owenstacey:
Sergio86:
Well yes you can, any citizen that thinks they have an improvement to make to any of the laws in The North Pacific, go ahead we would welcome it. Have a look that the post linked below, it says a bit more about how to write the bill and what to do.

http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7092407/1/
Yes, but can i create a regulation or a new codification of an item in the constitution or legal code?? Not placing it whitin neather. It will respect both, but it will be a diferent volume or tome.

Sergio86:
Yes, but can i create a regulation or a new codification of an item in the constitution or legal code?? Not placing it whitin neather. It will respect both, but it will be a diferent volume or tome.
You can if you wish post your ideas to the floor for a discussion and hear everyone's opinions and advice if you are not ready to put forth a proposal. However I am a bit confused at what you are asking, are you asking if you can change the Constitution and legal code. Well yes you can as a constitution is a living document and all of our laws descend from it.

Zeek:
Sergio86:
You can if you wish post your ideas to the floor for a discussion and hear everyone's opinions and advice if you are not ready to put forth a proposal. However I am a bit confused at what you are asking, are you asking if you can change the Constitution and legal code. Well yes you can as a constitution is a living document and all of our laws descend from it.
I'm sorry got a litle bit confuse. Here in TNP you play by the common law system, which is different from civil law which i was brought. In civil law you make a constitution, then you make laws of the constitution , then you make rule of the laws, and then there is decrees, resolutions, conventions, statutes, norms, codifications, regulations, etc. Everything has a hirearchy. And everything has to go through the legislative for aproval. Justices are just there for disciplinary action not to create laws. This is why i didn't get it the first time.

No, we don't. Let me quote from the legal theory section of a document I drafted about our laws:

Legal Theory in The North Pacific

The North Pacific is a democratic region. Fundamentally, all law in The North Pacific derives from the principle of popular sovereignty: the nations of the region established a constitution through public debate and referenda, and have followed its democratic processes to alter and create constitutional and other law in the decade plus since.

Expectations nations held of the necessary legal principles to be and remain a democratic region were adopted (first as part of the Constitution itself and then as an attached document) as the Bill of Rights. This document has seen the least change of all the region’s laws since 2005 and can be understood as the expression of the basic regional legal identity.

The region is not, therefore, a system of common law as such. Judicial precedent is considered informative rather than part of the law of itself. It’s not turtles all the way down: there is no legal principle which does not derive from some aspect of positive (formally adopted) law.

That being said, the democratic nature of the regional government is more fundamental than any particular legal document. The very origin of our documents through referenda and subsequent votes delineate that.

(Underlining added).

spk_seal.png

October 30th, 2017​

As some people already know and others are probably wondering, the Speaker's Office has been very inactive and this has not been helped by my RL problems at the moment. This has allowed standards to drop, which has really frustrated me as I didn't want to leave my deputies in the position I was not last term. It also allowed the registry to get outdated and in serious need of work. And to all of this I am hugely sorry. All of this is my fault for not being able to work on it.

Now with the apology done, I now want to focus on what I will be doing to fix it. As of now, I have a lot more free time to devote to TNP and will be checking Citizenship Applications at least once a day. I will also be working with my Deputies to ensure everything is caught up and remains at the high standards that the Office requires.

On the conversation of Deputies, I am delighted to announce the appointment of James Urquhart as a new deputy.

If anyone has any other questions or queries, feel free to PM me on here or on Discord.

Thank you, Owenstacey, your devotion to TNP is much appreciated by all of us.

Congratulations James Urquhart on your assumption of the position of Deputy Speaker!

spk_seal.png

November 8th, 2017​

I hereby Resign as Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Recently as a few people know, I have been struggling to balance RL and TNP and have lost the drive that I once had for the Speaker’s Office. I feel terrible for what has happened and wished it didn’t want have to come to this. But I don’t want to continue when I know that I won’t be able to give it 100% as it is not what the office deserves. Therefore I also appoint Crushing Our Enemies as Acting Speaker. I will be retaining my citizenship and will remain as active as I can but I feel that I cannot continue on my current path.

spk_seal.png

November 21st, 2017​

Hello, Citizens of The North Pacific, and welcome to the beginning of my term as Speaker of the Regional Assembly. Thank you all for your support in electing me. Now, then... let's get down to business.

First off, I hereby appoint [class=deputy_speaker]Crushing Our Enemies[/class] as Deputy Speaker. He will focus mainly on Regional Assembly business while I focus on Citizenship. As I receive more and more training, I will be assisting in RA business as well according to our activity levels.

I have also already hit the ground running, catching up on several of my responsibilities, including citizenship applications, citizenship / residency checks, adding the Osiris non-aggression pact to the laws index, and updating the Citizenship-related telegram scripts with telegrams from my own nation.

I will also continue the Regional Assembly Digest program starting first thing tomorrow.

Thank you again for voting for me. I expect this half-term to be the first step to bringing the Speaker's office to its full potential.

[me]
[class=speaker]Speaker of the Regional Assembly[/class]

May I ask the Speaker why the concurrent motions to the emergency declaration have been instead treated as being one motion with the emergency declaration?

spk_seal.png

January 12, 2018​

Hello, fellow members of the Regional Assembly. First off, I'd like to thank you for your support. With 98 votes, your support has broken records, and with that you have broken a record with how many votes an elected official has achieved in any election yet. For a dragon who campaigned via haiku, this is astounding, and I will have to consider how a sonnet will affect the outcome of the vote next term.

In all seriousness, such support boggles the mind and puts a heavy thought through my mind. With such support comes great expectations for the coming term, and I hope to not let you down, nor will I. With that, let's get started.

I hereby appoint the following as Deputy Speakers:
  • [class=deputy_speaker]Crushing Our Enemies[/class]. As one of, if not the, most experienced citizen from this office, he will remain in the office to provide guidance and training along with me to the newer members of the office.
  • [class=deputy_speaker]abc[/class]. Previously a member of the office, I hope to round out his experience, and his activity and experience from the Ministry of Home Affairs will be valuable to this office.
  • [class=deputy_speaker]Yukkira[/class]. A newbie to the office like I was a while back, he canvassed me for a Deputy Speaker position before even my first term in the office. I hope to use his enthusiasm and activity to my benefit as I work to bring this office to the standards set by Pallaith last year.

Please take your Oaths of Office.

In the debate about recalling THO's it is now relevant what the quorum is to determine how many citizens are needed to force a vote. I think there is currently not a proper reading of the relevant law being applied.

Quorum is determined by the number of citizens who voted in at least one of the last three legislative votes as detailed in te legal code:

Section 6.3: Voting
14. A citizen's vote will not be valid unless they maintain citizenship for the entire duration of the vote.
15. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote is equal to one third of the number of citizens who have voted in at least one of the three most recent legislative votes. A legislative vote is a vote of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal laws.

In one of the last 3 votes, the one about the security council amendment, there were 46 votes, so quorum cannot be less then 15 (when rounding down) or 16 (rounding up). It is possible a third legislative vote is relevant with a higher number of votes cast but I could not find it on the voting floor.

Moreover, it is likely that some citizens voted in one but not not another of the last three legislative votes. By the text of the relevant statute, the number of citiens who voted in at least one of the last votes should be added up to determine quorum.

I request that the speakers office determine the total number of citizens who voted in at least one of the last three legislative votes so the currently applicable quorum can be determined. As outlined above, I think citizens wh voted at least once should all be added together.

I furthermore request that the speaker will announce the applicable quorum and the resulting number of citizens who must move to force an immediate vote be announced in the thread about the recall of THO's.

I also request that the speaker refrains from scheduling a vote on the recall of THO's until the previous 2 actions have been completed.

Barbarossistan, I'd like to point out that the relevant data to your request is public knowledge. View the Citizen and Resident Registry from The Docks and you'll see the raw data and how quorum is determined. The last few votes are stored in that spreadsheet, and the process appears to be automated. That being said, perhaps the Speaker has an alternative method of satisfying your request...

Given this, I petition the Speaker to proceed with scheduling a vote regarding the recall of THOs once the appropriate legal conditions are satisfied.

I looked at the registry, but I have no idea how I can determine from it that a citizen voted in one of the last 3 legislative votes or how many citizens in total did that. It does mention a quorum of 12, but it appears that cannot be correct currently as we already know 46 citizens voted in one of the last 3 legislative votes. There is no indication how it is calculated either. I imagine the speakers office has a better understanding of te possibilities of the registry then I do.

Given that the number of citizens moving for an immediate vote should be at least 5, and likely higher, going by at least 46 voters in one of the last 3 legislative votes I stand by my requests.

The law is quite clear. At least one. I used the lowest possible number. That is one voting session as the law requires. The Speaker's interpretation appears to be correct, I may have miscounted slightly when I ran my numbers but I have no issue with their current requirement since it is satisfied.

There appears to have been an error in the formula used in the citizens sheet for getting the three most recent legislative votes, thus rendering the formula for determining if a citizen is legislatively active, and thus the formula for quorum, to be inaccurate. This has been rectified.

The corrected numbers are that there are 52 current legislatively active citizens, rendering quorum to be 18 and the number of motions required for immediate votes to be 6.

Thank you for bringing the inaccurate numbers to my attention, Barbarossistan.

Edit: typo.

Darcania:
There appears to have been an error in the formula used in the citizens sheet for getting the three most recent legislative votes, thus rendering the formula for determining if a citizen is legislatively active, and thus the formula for quorum, to be inaccurate. This has been rectified.

The corrected numbers are that there are 52 current legislatively active citizens, rendering quorum to be 18 and the number of motions required for immediate votes to be 6.

Thank you for bringing the inaccurate numbers to my attention, Barbarossistan.

Edit: typo.
thanks for a prompt answer to my requests.

spk_seal.png

February 21, 2018​
A new Digest has been posted here.

Regional Assembly Digest:
Period covered: 14-02-2018 - 21-02-2018

Speaker of the Regional Assembly: Darcania
Deputy Speaker: General COE
Deputy Speaker: ABC

Old Business
A list of proposals that have passed and failed this past week.

No proposals have passed or failed this week.

New Business
A list of proposals currently before the assembly.

No proposals are currently before the assembly.

Other Business
Other matters that may concern you as a member of the assembly.

1. We extend a warm welcome to our newest Assembly members: Ethan Herl, Mzeusia, Oxeon, Vyazmas, nemolee.exe, ArtemisFowl01, archimony, Abbey, and Kannabyss

2. We bid a fond farewell to those who have left us: Atomicapple, Aexnidaral, jalapenoapache, Kreal Panards, Sukathrop, Alex, Auburn_Rovial, codybob, and Haystan

And Now This

Darcania's Grammar Trivia of the Week
"If you are unsure if a sentence is grammatically correct, try taking out any prepositional phrases, e.g. "in the room", and reducing compound phrases to one, e.g. "he and I" into "he"."

General COE's Cautionary Words
Caveat emptor

ABC's Discord Quote of the Week
Yukkira - Today at 4:36 PM
"Most Popular Newcomer is up next for noms..."

Malphe - Today at 4:37 PM
"I've been here for 600+ days. Do I count as new?"

Back