Slave Trade OOC

Ceretis

Of air and darkness
I'm opening this to see who would be interested in participating in a historic slave trade scenario.

I see a few main groups that could be formed in this RP. First being nations who use slaves, second being possibly nations slaves were taken from, third being abolitionists. There are plenty of other positions you can take, and it's really open for anyone and everyone and you can take whatever position you like.

I can see slaves coming from multiple sources: From existing nations, from undisclosed lands in the 'old map' and 'new map' so we don't interfere with future nations histories, third being the possibility of other region(s). If Nierr is willing though, we could add one or two small NPC nations to the map where slaves might have come from.

We can start any time in history, but it might be interesting to look at something between 1600s and 1900s.

As always, my long held stance is that as long as it doesn't interfere with current or future nations history unless they choose to participate then I'm all for the idea. I do like the option of asking Nierr if NPC countries could be added as this would avoid the issue almost entirely of messing with future nation claims and their history.

I prefer the NPC route as well. The backup plan though is to not force some future nation's history, but we can describe some undisclosed area, and utilize it, but never set it as a particular location, just some area over there. If someone later wants to claim that as part of their history they could.

That's a good plan.

Kannex would be a slave-owning nation until 1870. The slave trade ended 1840. Slaves were imported from the western coast, but used primarily in the East for agricultural purposes. Liberal Westerners pushed for the abolition of slavery, but I haven't written down the details yet.

Climate-wise, the area to the northwest of us should be a Kalahari-like desert, being in the considerable rain shadow of our Ano Gnathos mountains. Might be a good spot

I propose Sauceistan be a slave source. Not only do we have a very tropical climate and a native population, this could merge well with the proposed history of my nation.

As I have it now, Sauceistan doesn't see interaction between them and the rest of the world until the early 1800s. Somehow, someway this morphs into an attack by the natives on the colonial army which had taken control of Sauceistan's western islands, called the Noring Wars. The natives prevail, and Sauceistan declares themselves a sovereign nation.

It would be cool if we could do this. If not, I'll find a way to fit in anyway.

Sauceistan could be a source of slaves, it's still possible for more sources, but it looks like we have at least one source now.

I'm open to ideas, but some suggestions would be:
Formation of slave sources, transportation, and use of slaves.
Events surrounding the slave trade such as slave markets, escaping slaves, etc
Abolitionist movement ending the slave trade in the modern era or at least ending it for most nations. (Not sure if there are any slave nations here.)
Any abolition events and the way they occur, and their ramifications.

I'm thinking of a period RP, the way you have a period film. Maybe for some reason you have a lost prince, and he has to escape slavery and visit each of our countries for some reason... finding some priceless artifact? Fighting a worldwide conspiracy to summon satanic lizard reptilian alien overlords? Or assassinations?

At any rate, I'd like it so that we each control characters and have to travel through each of our countries. That seems pretty fun.

Slavery itself won't be much of a story. Unless if you RP a slave uprising, but slave uprisings are very local-based. I'd like something that involves all our nations.

I feel like there needs to be something more than that. That would be a lot of lobbying and writing. Ending the slave trade is also localized in a way; it's just convincing each nation one by one to stop trading slaves. Maybe our characters are chasing someone, or are being chased by someone in return. Add a little excitement in, y'know?

I wouldn't get involved until a few years after the Despotoan Coup in the mid 1700s. Xentheridan didn't use slaves, but Despotoa (you could say, flip personality) did. But then I'd be out again by the 1848s, when Despotoa is overthrown. I'd be fighting a lot for slaves, however, which could make a few bloody wars in this time period.

The Syrixian Empire had slaves from the very beginning of the trade. I'd gladly participate.

The Houses of Pyr and Plinken would have happily sold Rethenite (native Plembobrian) slaves abroad between the 1690's and the 1780's.

Kannex:
I feel like there needs to be something more than that. That would be a lot of lobbying and writing. Ending the slave trade is also localized in a way; it's just convincing each nation one by one to stop trading slaves. Maybe our characters are chasing someone, or are being chased by someone in return. Add a little excitement in, y'know?
Well, the work of a single man like this is going to mostly be emotional appeals, not national negotiations. Also, there are going to be lots of people with a vested interest, a significant financial interest, in stopping him...

The Wolvesh never used slaves but they hired themselves out as mercenaries but they were pretty laissez-faire about who they worked for so the Khan at the time could be appealed to get involved on the subject either contributing forces to the Abolitionists or withholding them from the Slavers.

tumblr_mxwyznfaxF1rbjoeao1_400.gif
out to get pizza brb
in two weeks

I'm surprised we'll have abolitionist countries during this backwards-ass time. Get with the times, dude.

Hiskjriaana had slaves up until their renaissance (not the RL renaissance, but the Hisk renaissance that happened around 1400)

Didn't I just start one? -_-
I'll join in then.

We had slaves, but only used them to sell for a profit to other countries >:3

Sytarenne:
New Aquilia:
I'm going with the major abolitionist force..I'm going with the history that the Ancient Church condemned slavery in 1100 along with serfdom. I'm basing it off of this piece of not well known history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_London_in_1102
Churches always condemned slavery. That doesn't make any different that other people like Barons, Knights, and Kings would still want to condemn slavery.
I once read an account of someone who asked several people's opinions on slavery in history once. The priest said they supported slavery.

Sytarenne:
New Aquilia:
I'm going with the major abolitionist force..I'm going with the history that the Ancient Church condemned slavery in 1100 along with serfdom. I'm basing it off of this piece of not well known history:

Churches always condemned slavery. That doesn't make any different that other people like Barons, Knights, and Kings would still want to condemn slavery.
On Earth sure, again this is EVe...and things can go quite different in places on Eve. :duh:

The CofA and the Monarchy have always been tied together tightly in my nation's history, heck my monarch is a Supreme Governor of the Church and must be ordained and raised to the Bishopric before He or She can be a ruling monarch according to the constitution.

But please, keep stating what my people's history has to be for you. More and more reason to not RP with you

No, what your doing is making me want to RP with you less and less. You can't act like the goody-goody all the time. Sure there was anti-slave campaigners (which were definitely in my nation too) but only little can that do to a period like this. King's did have good relationships with the Pope. But sometimes they didn't when they disagreed with them. Like King Henry VIII and King Henry II. Kings can throw them out if they wanted to.

AGAIN, FOR THE TENTH TIME:

This is Eve, not earth. And sorry, but history, will not go the way it does on earth. Again, we have sentient dragons, even as Piscivore like claiming squids in lab coats. For crying out loud,stop trying to make it that you know everything about a nation's past or can tell anyone else what they can or cannot do with their nation or their nation's history.

Not trying to get an argument, but please refrain by posting things that make no sense. Your acting like your nations such a goody-goody when countries could've declared war and attacked you by now, because in the Colonial Ages you would probably be considered a country that supports Satan or something. <_< Your supposed to think like a person from those times you can't act like you are now. Also, I pointed that out because this is an OOC thread, remember? Without earth, there's no christianity, there's no english, there's no judaism, there's no religion, there's no equality, there's no UN, there's no peace.

Only thing that doesn't make sense is your continued need to prove some desperate need to be "right".

Sorry, I'll play my nation, my way....too bad if you don't like it.

Yeah, the Council of London in 1102 wasn't very successful in stopping slavery centuries later, but who cares. If New Aquila wants to play an unrealistically goody-goody nation, it's his choice.

17 minutes ago: New Aquilia relocated from The North Pacific to Pax.
17 minutes ago: New Aquilia founded the region Pax.

Some of you guys are a fucking farce. My apologies to Ceretis, Kalti, Piscivore, Sauceistan, Xentherida, Syrixia, plembobria, Wolfsea, Cronaal and Hiskjriaana and anyone else who had to put up with this. Purple text incoming.

Myroria:
make malcolm x proud you guys

harriet beecher stowe's spirit smiles down on you
Saint Oz:
tumblr_mxwyznfaxF1rbjoeao1_400.gif
out to get pizza brb
in two weeks
I can understand your feelings on this particular RP and those involved (and p. much agreed with you Myroria when we spoke about it in IRC), but posts like these are borderline spamming the topic.
Kannex:
I'm surprised we'll have abolitionist countries during this backwards-ass time. Get with the times, dude.
Abolitionism has existed throughout history across the world, from China (first abolition occurred in the 3rd Century BC) and Japan (slavery disappears by 1200 and is banned outright in 1590) to Venice (960 AD), Iceland (1117 AD), and many of the great works of law of the Middle Ages either abolish slavery or mention that it was already abolished (1215 Magna Carta Clause 30, 1220 Sachsenspiegel - the German code of law, 1256 Liber Paradisus of Bologna).

Slavery is illegal in Norway by 1274, de jure abolished in France in 1315, in Sweden in 1335, in Poland by 1347.

Sytarenne:
New Aquilia:

The 1537 Papal Bull by Pope Paul III, forbidding the enslavement of native American tribes, seemed to work. The Catholic Empires of Spain and Portugal especially (the latter would also ban the enslavement of Chinese people in 1595) applied and enforced this.

Regardless, if New Aquilia wants to rp their own history in the way they described, that is their right to.
Sytarenne:
No, what your doing is making me want to RP with you less and less. You can't act like the goody-goody all the time. Sure there was anti-slave campaigners (which were definitely in my nation too) but only little can that do to a period like this. King's did have good relationships with the Pope. But sometimes they didn't when they disagreed with them. Like King Henry VIII and King Henry II. Kings can throw them out if they wanted to.
You don't actually to decide that. It's New Aquilia's history and if they want to play as a pro-abolitionist state, they can. That's just how RP works. You're free to ignore them and not RP with them, but you don't get to decide how they RP their nation.
New Aquilia:
Sytarenne:
New Aquilia:

On Earth sure, again this is EVe...and things can go quite different in places on Eve. :duh:

The CofA and the Monarchy have always been tied together tightly in my nation's history, heck my monarch is a Supreme Governor of the Church and must be ordained and raised to the Bishopric before He or She can be a ruling monarch according to the constitution.

But please, keep stating what my people's history has to be for you. More and more reason to not RP with you
New Aquilia:
AGAIN, FOR THE TENTH TIME:

This is Eve, not earth. And sorry, but history, will not go the way it does on earth. Again, we have sentient dragons, even as Piscivore like claiming squids in lab coats. For crying out loud,stop trying to make it that you know everything about a nation's past or can tell anyone else what they can or cannot do with their nation or their nation's history.
You were doing so well until you started sniping. It did not do your argument any good and just further escalated the issue. If you do ever come back to TNP RP, I hope you do it without the sniping, as I think you are valuable addition to the community.
Sytarenne:
Not trying to get an argument, but please refrain by posting things that make no sense. Your acting like your nations such a goody-goody when countries could've declared war and attacked you by now, because in the Colonial Ages you would probably be considered a country that supports Satan or something. <_< Your supposed to think like a person from those times you can't act like you are now. Also, I pointed that out because this is an OOC thread, remember? Without earth, there's no christianity, there's no english, there's no judaism, there's no religion, there's no equality, there's no UN, there's no peace.
I'm happy to ignore your flawed and obviously lacking knowledge of the times of which you speak, but I will not abide by back-seat modding. You do not get to decide how people post, especially as the latter part of your post is an incoherent mess.

Kannex:
Yeah, the Council of London in 1102 wasn't very successful in stopping slavery centuries later, but who cares. If New Aquila wants to play an unrealistically goody-goody nation, it's his choice.
I'm not sure if you meant this as a snipe, but it comes off as one. Your earlier contributions to the topic were positive and if I'm reading this wrong, I'll happily admit to it.
Cronaal:
tl;dr Stop dictating what the history of other nations is.
This guy gets it. Seriously.

I'm not going to lock this topic, but I will be watching it and if this kind of thing continues, then I will have to ask a GM or Admin to look at warnings and post purviews for some of those involved. I don't want to do that.

To be clear, I'm entirely prepared to dish out warnings in consultation with the RP Mods for misbehavior of this kind.

On a lighter note,
If this were to happen, would this be based in a certain area of the map or wide-spread throughout the region.

Back