Slave Trade OOC

Kannex:
The bulk of Kannexan slaves will definitely be black, to explain the multiracial nature of the Kannexan people. Kannexan demographics are based off Brazil. And I suppose slaves will be used on coffee plantations and ships. On ships, there will definitely be slaves of many races, just as maritime slavery is today. I don't see why we would RP about the institution of slavery itself; the way I'm seeing it, slavery will only be the backdrop of the story.

EDIT: We need a story, a real story. An RP "just about" slavery is going to end up as a history lecture. Sytarenne's "Past History" thread should've had a story, too.
Well we have a beginning to our story; the crop that starts the slave boom. Then we can develop the story in multiple ways.

But we need to know: WHAT is the crop?

Honestly, I think it will be different for different areas.

I think what's important is that we have a coherent, workable story. An overview of the history of slavery in TNP is not a story in itself.

Maybe opium and cotton? Syrixia can produce opium so we could have a sort of opium wars. The cotton, probably somewhere else.

Doesn't have to be agricultural, there is also early industrialization. Demand for mined materials resulted in virtual slave labor in the Colorado Rockies in the 19th century, and the same went for early factory workers.

Piscivore:
Doesn't have to be agricultural, there is also early industrialization. Demand for mined materials resulted in virtual slave labor in the Colorado Rockies in the 19th century, and the same went for early factory workers.
So maybe a combination between opium and some sort of minerals. Gold was found in Delia Point a while back from the 19th century, however diamonds were found in the mid-1700s. Perhaps we could have a sort of California Gold Rush, rebranded as the Delia Diamond Rush.

Piscivore:
Mmhm, and then there's slave institutions based on something entirely different than economy - the janissaries of the Ottoman Empire were kidnapped/recruited from Christian villages within the Empire, castrated, and turned into elite soldiers sworn to protect the ruler.

Or the Mamluk (arabic for "owned") system of Egypt, where slaves were the ruling (and military) caste.

Or the Roman system of slavery, in which most slaves were captured during the course of war with, ah, barbarian groups, and in which slaves were used for a variety of purposes - some agriculture and mining, of course, though to the best of my knowledge there was no specific cash crop that demanded slave labor - but also more educated roles including scribe, teacher, and doctor.

Back