ARCHIVED: True Sebland and Sebland better together or separate?

Sierra

TNPer
TNP Nation
True Sebland
In the 1700's, Sebland was one unified country until war broke out between those who supported the monarchy and those and who supported the overthrow of the monarchy. This civil war raged for many years but eventually ended with neither side winning but the country of Sebland being split in half, a northern country without the rule of the monarchy and the southern country with the rule of the monarchy. The northern country kept the name Sebland while the southern country took the name True Sebland to indicate their status as the legitimate rulers of the people through the monarchy. Over the next few centuries, Sebland and True Sebland continued to thrive and prosper economically until corruption set in in the northern government which led to havoc being wrecked on the economy. This corruption led to accusations that the politicians were becoming greedy and profiting off of the backs and wealth of the people which broke out into full riots against the government. Fearing that the downfall of the northern economy and the riots would harm the southern economy, the monarchy of True Sebland sent a peacekeeping force north along with members of their central bank to help stabilize the northern economy and bring peace and order to the region. True Sebland worked with the people of the north to get their economy and government out of the crisis and battle against corruption. Together they got rid of corruption and stabilised the economy. That led to people liking the monarchy again. A vote went out whether to rejoin True Sebland or stay separate.

The vote:
"Should Sebland join True Sebland and become one unified country again?"
A) Yes, unify the two regions under the monarchy
B) No, keep the two separate
C) Yes, but let Sebland become an autonomous region under True Sebland

Many thanks to Kalti for helping me with this RP!

It is an absolute monarchy, but it is known that the rulers were wise and treated everyone fairly and equally, and it remains true today.

True Sebland:
It is an absolute monarchy, but it is known that the rulers were wise and treated everyone fairly and equally, and it remains true today.
(OOC: Said that about Cronaal too but look what happened there.)

While we share monarchy in question with True Sebland, New Aquilia urges the Seblandish independent from the True Seblandish crown to maintain their independence or to gain autonomy. Democracy must be allowed to flourish, New Aquilia supports the independence model but will respect the will of the Seblandish if they choose to rejoin the monarchy in full.

While we support the monarchy of True Sebland in re-unifying the two countries, we believe the best solution will be to leave Sebland be and let them become an autonomous region within True Sebland.

(OOC: The best real world example I can give is the Kingdom of Denmark and the Faroe Islands. Basically Sebland would become a devolved government within a monarchy. This way, the monarchy is preserved and the government of Sebland is preserved while still allowing democracy to flourish to an extent.)

Kalti:
While we support the monarchy of True Sebland in re-unifying the two countries, we believe the best solution will be to leave Sebland be and let them become an autonomous region within True Sebland.

(OOC: The best real world example I can give is the Kingdom of Denmark and the Faroe Islands. Basically Sebland would become a devolved government within a monarchy. This way, the monarchy is preserved and the government of Sebland is preserved while still allowing democracy to flourish to an extent.)
(OOC: Also Greenland is an autonomous region within Denmark.)

We believe that Sebland should reunite with us as they were a part of True Sebland before the civil war, but we are willing to make them into an autonomous region if that's what they vote for.

The Seblandian government invites each and every Seblandian to vote in this referendum to make it as accurate as possible. We thank every voter for their vote.

(OOC: We need one or two people to vote, thanks)

The Spokesman of Eumenor:
3 way tie at the moment!
Eumenor is against the monarchy of True Sebland, and would urge them to look to a more democratic way of ruling.
Finally someone agrees with me :D

Sytarenne:
OOC: Sebland reminds me of Serbia. If you are the Real Sebland, shouldn't you be just "Sebland?"
OOC: You can't judge a country just by its name! North Sebland didn't want to change it's name, so South Sebland changed it to True Sebland to show that they are the real Sebland. (2 countries can't have the same name)

Sytarenne:
OOC: Sebland reminds me of Serbia. If you are the Real Sebland, shouldn't you be just "Sebland?"
OOC: Kosovo doesn't want to be a part of Serbia. Sebland believes in the monarchy and wants to be a part of True Sebland

(OOC: I voted no because IMO your claim is already huge and there's simply no way you'd have run out of arable land. If anything, some other new player should claim that empty land.)

(OOC: OK...so why are you dragging map claims stuff that really could be decided by the cartographer staff into the purely IC vote? :duh: )

Syrixia will be voting no, as we find it ridiculous that with such a huge swath of land under their control, that True Sebland has run out of arable land. We thusly do not believe True Sebland's claim that merging with Sebland will give them more arable land to use, and we instead believe that True Sebland is simply trying to annex this nation for the sake of land gain.

Syrixia:
(OOC: I voted no because IMO your claim is already huge and there's simply no way you'd have run out of arable land. If anything, some other new player should claim that empty land.)
(OOC: Did you even read the OP?) ( why should Rhuvaland be on the map then? A new nation could take its place!) ( I rewrote the expansion to make it more believable and with the help of Kalti to make it more professional, so the arable land does not apply any more!)

(OOC: You rewrote it? Let me take a look.)

EDIT: I'd like to switch my vote from the second option to the third.

(OOC: Syrixia... Yes, I rewrote the expansion idea alongside Sebland to help make it seem more realistic than running out of arable land. Already joked in the PM you would be the one to criticise it...)

IC:
The Councilors of the Estate support the people of both Sebland and True Sebland in whatever decision they ultimately decide on. Should international aid be required, the Confederation is prepared to send help.

----
Solveig Nightsong
Councilor of Finance
President of the Confederation

Sytarenne:
(OOC: As the co-writer of this territorial expansion, it was my idea to have the south carry the name True Sebland and the north carry the name Sebland (although ultimately approved by True Sebland himself). The reasoning behind this was due to the fact that the current claim on the map (aka the southern half) is currently labelled as True Sebland. Furthermore, upon acceptance of this expansion, the cartography team and True Sebland (if they agree to it), can add Sebland to the map in the same color as the current claim but with diagonal lines through it signifying an autonomous region (ala what the Russian Republic did with the Central Free States) Lastly, the name True Sebland was picked to signify that the south represented the true government of the people (aka the monarchy).)

After the referendum in Sebland that left option a) True Sebland and Sebland should be one unified country victorious and taking into account the opinions of countries in the region via poll, where option c) came out victorious, but very tightly, True Sebland and Sebland decided to unify and create one country carrying the name True Sebland. This day will be rembered as the unification day and will be made a national holiday.

Eumenor believes it is typical of a non-democratic monarchy to completely ignore the will of the people as True Sebland has evidently just done. The Foreign Office is frankly hardly surprised.

(OOC: Why did we bother voting if you knew the outcome you wanted anyway???)

The Nebulan government is angered at this evident disregard to the will of the people. Anti-monarchists are publicizing this as yet another show of the failure of a monarchy to handle a country; after the Diana incident in Cronaal and the scandal in Guslantis, Nebulan support for monarchy in general is waning.

Edit: The Kaltian Compromise on True Sebland and Sebland Unification
"Following the referendum that was put together by the monarchy of True Sebland, there was a distinct three way split in the results with five being in favor of unification, six in favor of an autonomous region and six for staying apart. After further negotiation, a compromise was reached by the two sides promoting unification and autonomy in which True Sebland would become one unified country utilizing a 'one country, two systems' policy. With the implementation of this policy, Sebland shall fully become a part of True Sebland while retaining it's democratic character. Any further questions, comments or concerns can be directed to the Foreign Affairs Office of True Sebland."

As we don't want to damage our relations with the angered nations and want to please the Seblandian citizens, we will accept the compromise offered by Kalti.

True Sebland:
As we don't want to damage our relations with the angered nations and want to please the Seblandian citizens, we will accept the compromise offered by Kalti.
(OOC: I have edited my above post to reflect the Kaltian compromise.)

Kalti:
Edit: The Kaltian Compromise on True Sebland and Sebland Unification
"Following the referendum that was put together by the monarchy of True Sebland, there was a distinct three way split in the results with five being in favor of unification, six in favor of an autonomous region and six for staying apart. After further negotiation, a compromise was reached by the two sides promoting unification and autonomy in which True Sebland would become one unified country utilizing a 'one country, two systems' policy. With the implementation of this policy, Sebland shall fully become a part of True Sebland while retaining it's democratic character. Any further questions, comments or concerns can be directed to the Foreign Affairs Office of True Sebland."
Syrixia agrees with this compromise and gives it its full support.

New Aquilia backs this compromise conditionally. However, with the outcome of the vote, we urge all Seblandish regardless of region to call for full reforms of the governmental system.

We also will be watching True Sebland closely to see that this compromise is actually carried out.

-Duke Rijkaard Halerston, Ambassador to True Sebland

Following responses from the international community, Syrixia has decided to follow suit with New Aquilia. While we still support the Seblandish compromise, we do not support the government making it. Absolute monarchy is a thing of the past. Let it stay in the past. Bring freedom to the people and let them choose their own leaders. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not one man making all the decisions because he can!

Back