OOC: The Seblandian expansion

kalti:
(OOC: You say that the natives speak the same language as you. How would that even be remotely possible if the natives and the territories you want to expand into are on the other side of the map from your main claim? I ask because I have Tir na Andalucia and Callaici which are populated by natives to their area and they do not speak Kaltian, yes... now that they are part of the Confederation they can speak their native tongue and Kaltian but that was only after the introduction of the Confederation's education system.)

eumenor:
(OOC: I'll break the mould and do this IC.)
The Eumenorian foreign ministry would like to enquire of their True Seblandian counterparts, if they intend to claim this land over seas as opposed to purely extending their current territory?
If this is the case, what is your reasoning for not making use of the considerable linguistic, economic and logistical benefits of expanding close to your main nation?

I'm expanding up to Andulus and Ertolia.

Thank you for clarifying where it was exactly that you were expanding to. Though I still find it very unrealistic and unbelievable that the natives would speak the same language as you and not their own language. Remember, there is Andulus to the north and it is possible that some of the natives have had contact with them and maybe understand that language (or speak it if they chose to learn it). It would be much more realistic and believable if you have the natives speak their own language and understand yours due to prior trading (then you can also role play in the element of Sebland educating the natives).

Kalti:
Thank you for clarifying where it was exactly that you were expanding to. Though I still find it very unrealistic and unbelievable that the natives would speak the same language as you and not their own language. Remember, there is Andulus to the north and it is possible that some of the natives have had contact with them and maybe understand that language (or speak it if they chose to learn it). It would be much more realistic and believable if you have the natives speak their own language and understand yours due to prior trading (then you can also role play in the element of Sebland educating the natives).
Well they have their own language, but it is very similar to seblandish. In the north they might speak andulan. That's how I meant it. The language is similar to seblandish, so there is hardly any language barrier . I formulated it wrong.

nebula:
We are opposed to this expansion on the grounds that True Sebland has failed to provide an adequate reason, and until they do we will view it with suspicion.

Failed to provide a adequate reason? It will boost my agriculture sector and there are lovely mountains near Ertolia and a rainforest near Hardish Bay that would help my tourism industry. Also if I gain access to the "middle" sea I could increase trading with nations in the "middle" sea for example Darcania --> that would help both mine and Darcania's economy --> Darcania is a member of the Faibuaizu alliance, so it would help the alliance aswell and you are in the alliance.

True Sebland:
nebula:
We are opposed to this expansion on the grounds that True Sebland has failed to provide an adequate reason, and until they do we will view it with suspicion.

Failed to provide a adequate reason? It will boost my agriculture sector and there are lovely mountains near Ertolia and a rainforest near Hardish Bay that would help my tourism industry. Also if I gain access to the "middle" sea I could increase trading with nations in the "middle" sea for example Darcania --> that would help both mine and Darcania's economy --> Darcania is a member of the Faibuaizu alliance, so it would help the alliance aswell and you are in the alliance.
Mountains, maybe, but if there's just a random rainforest near Hardish Bay, I'd talk to Plemby about that.

Nebula:
True Sebland:
Ceretis:
So... how large is your population if it's so high?
It's not that high. 120 000 000. The main reason for the expansion is to expand are territory.
*chokes momentarily*

120 million?
Little high for the amount of space he has but not totally out there in being unbelievable... I have Kalti, Tir na Andalucia and Callaici with a grand total of 125 million across all three.

Kalti:
Nebula:
True Sebland:
Ceretis:
So... how large is your population if it's so high?
It's not that high. 120 000 000. The main reason for the expansion is to expand are territory.
*chokes momentarily*

120 million?
Little high for the amount of space he has but not totally out there in being unbelievable... I have Kalti, Tir na Andalucia and Callaici with a grand total of 125 million across all three.
That's one of the reasons I'm expanding.

Syrixia:
True Sebland:
nebula:

Mountains, maybe, but if there's just a random rainforest near Hardish Bay, I'd talk to Plemby about that.
I don't see the reason why should I talk to Plembobria about it? It maybe near him, but it's not in his territory and I'm expanding in to it and it'll be a part of True Sebland (hopefully) after the expansion, if everything turns out well, so I don't see the problem? I don't mean it in a bad way!

Just to give some advice on adequate reasoning for expanding territory... The following is what happened when I claimed Tir na Andalucia and Callaici:

Andalucia: Original homeland of the Kaltians, lost to time but re-found. The Andalucians joined the Confederation after the Kaltians helped modernize the country and clean up a harassment problem from the savages that were living down in the plains.

Callaici: Important trading stop between Kalti and Tir na Andalucia. Democratic government was overthrown by pirates who then declared a quasi war against the Confederation in either paying a hefty fine or the sinking of their ships if they ventured close. This led to a denouncement and a retaliation strike by the Kaltians that eventually led to the overthrow of the pirates and the reinstatement of the democratic government. Due to the Confederation's actions, they were hailed as heroes and a vote was put forward asking the people if they should join the Confederation (which they did).

Basically what I am trying to get at is that expanding your agriculture base (arable land) is not a very strong reasoning for territorial expansion and the acquisition of native land. Have the natives be involved somehow, have something happen in your country that prompts the expansion (yes I know that you say your population is high and that you have no more arable land yet at the same time you also say your country is strong in agriculture therefore they should be able to solve the problem without expanding territory). I'm just trying to give constructive feedback so your territorial expansion makes sense and doesn't seem like an intentional land grab for the sake of grabbing land (which at the moment it does to quite a few of us).

Back